PDA

View Full Version : morphing surfaces?

ianay
01-27-2013, 11:26 AM
Is there any way to Morph one surface into another using morphs?

Kaptive
01-27-2013, 11:51 AM
You can't use morphs for changing a surface, no. But... you can certainly use the envelopes in the surface editor and transition from one surface layer(s) to another, at the same time as morphing the shape of an object.

e.g. Created a human head model, and then make a morph of that human head model to look like a dog.

Then give it a UV map, and create a human skin/face texture as well as a hairy dog texture using the same UV map as a basis.

You could then morph the shape and cross fade the textures at the same time, giving you a morph of sorts.

That is as close to the image based morphing as you can get in Lightwave (so far as I can think of anyway... someone else might have another idea!)

You might get better answers if you gave more details as to what you are trying to achieve.

Hope that helps a bit anyway!

Kryslin
01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Directly, I would say no (someone with more knowledge might know of a way). However...

Set up your two surfaces using materials (including the Standard Material, which emulates a normal lightwave surface), and you can use the material mixer, driven by a control channel (a null's X position, for instance, clamped to 0...1) to blend between the two in layout.

Natively, I don't know of a way to get a morph channel's slider value. Using DPont's ChannelInfo node (part of the DPKit plugin), you can get the morph slider value.

ianay
01-27-2013, 11:59 AM
To give more idea of what i'm actually after..
Im attempting to get a milky swirl in a coffee cup to 'morph' into a company logo..
Transitions in after effects are no good as they pretty much just fade into each other, im after a visual change whereas the milky swirl adapts shape to form the logo
Thanks for the ideas above, Ill certainly give them both a go

khan973
01-27-2013, 01:33 PM
use UV map and deform your polys as you want, the texture will follow the deformation

Sensei
01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Is there any way to Morph one surface into another using morphs?

Morphs are changing geometry. One vertex position to other position.

If you're searching for a way to blend one surface material to other surface material you should look at Global Materials
http://globalmaterials.trueart.eu