PDA

View Full Version : Having Issues using Tricaster Footage Premiere?

Buddy.Hannon
01-25-2013, 08:33 AM
Hi,
This might help someone out there.
We have a Tricaster-40. When I tried to bring something recorded in the Tricaster into Adobe Premiere, it would say that the footage had no audio or video info. OK, then I installed the Newtek Video Codec Pack, now the footage could be imported, but the audio would either keep dropping out or be non-existent.

What to do? It seems if with the Newtek Video Codec Pack installed, if you change the extension from .mov to .mpeg everything plays together nicely.

So if you are facing this problem, give this a try.

VideoEng QA
01-25-2013, 11:26 AM
Buddy,

We appreciate your post and the work-around.

I wanted to let you and anyone else interested in this topic know that we are currently working with Adobe to resolve the issue regarding missing audio when playing back TriCaster generated QT clips in some versions of Adobe Premiere. We hope that a permanent solution will arise from these talks.

Thank you,
Jeremy Brosius

Buddy.Hannon
01-29-2013, 10:31 AM
No worries. Premiere still needs to conform the clip, but at least they can be edited.
Before that, I would record the audio from the Tricaster clip onto my other machine and then replace the audio in Premiere.

SBowie
01-29-2013, 10:33 AM
I was told yesterday that this bug occurs when Premiere attempts to load multiple clips simultaneously, and that it should not happen if they are imported one at a time. I can't say I've tried this myself, but thought I'd pass it along.

Buddy.Hannon
01-29-2013, 01:39 PM
No, it happens one at a time, but not if you change the file type to .mpeg and have the video codecs installed.
Also, if in premiere you export out as a quicktime using one of the Newtek Codecs, you lose the audio as well.

SBowie
01-29-2013, 02:38 PM
Are you running Premiere under Windows or OS X?

Buddy.Hannon
02-01-2013, 08:16 AM
Windows 7

SBowie
02-01-2013, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the added info. I'll mention to QA that there is more information in this thread. As far as I know, the expectation is that (Adobe issues aside) you should be able to drop TriCaster-recorded .movs right into Premiere on a windows system that has the current NewTek codecs installed.

Buddy.Hannon
02-07-2013, 09:58 AM
That would be a nice expectation! LOL!

GeekNews
02-13-2013, 12:13 AM
That would be a nice expectation! LOL!

Yea I agree with this comment as well.

Tricaster + Premier = A Total Pain in the A##

SBowie
02-13-2013, 05:15 AM
Adobe is aware of the issue, but we can't even begin to speculate on when they'll have a new build out.

gegillam
04-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Adobe is aware of the issue, but we can't even begin to speculate on when they'll have a new build out.

I too have the issue using mov files generated by Tricaster. I did some experimenting and found if you export using the MJPEG there are no issues at all. It really works great. Downside is that you have to export everything. If like me you are exporting a show master and up to 4 iso cameras........well you better take a long lunch. It kind of nullifies the removable hard drives in that anything that is recorded on them must be re-rendered. Adobe fixing this would shure save me 6 or so hours per week. ADOBE! are you Listening?

SBowie
04-12-2013, 03:33 PM
I'm sure I've been told that it's fixed in the next release.

powwows
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Hi,
This might help someone out there.
We have a Tricaster-40. When I tried to bring something recorded in the Tricaster into Adobe Premiere, it would say that the footage had no audio or video info. OK, then I installed the Newtek Video Codec Pack, now the footage could be imported, but the audio would either keep dropping out or be non-existent.

What to do? It seems if with the Newtek Video Codec Pack installed, if you change the extension from .mov to .mpeg everything plays together nicely.

So if you are facing this problem, give this a try.

Thanks for the fix.

I have over 150 videos to rename now!

Anyone know a quick way to do that?

powwows
04-17-2013, 10:17 AM
Well, that fix isn't working for me completely. I still have some files that when I try to import premiere locks completely.

Any other suggestions?

powwows
04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Now that I have renamed all of them, the ones that will import into Premiere come in as audio only?????

indiehouse
04-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Are there any updates to this? The workarounds mentioned in this thread aren't working for me. Premier keeps locking up. Adobe Media Encoder also locks up. This is bad.

SBowie
04-17-2013, 11:13 AM
Are you running Premiere on a mac or Windows system?

indiehouse
04-17-2013, 01:39 PM
We're running windows 7. We can't import any files from our Tricaster sessions. Major problem.

SBowie
04-17-2013, 03:35 PM
If you have Quicktime and the NewTek codecs installed, you should be alright - apart from the aforementioned Premiere bug. I'm not entirely sure which systems were affected, but Adobe has acknowledged the problem and reported it as fixed in their next release. In the meantime, since you're running Windows, you might try our AVI format. The Export module will batch convert to something you can use in the interim, assuming your TriCaster has it (most do).

powwows
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
If you have Quicktime and the NewTek codecs installed, you should be alright - apart from the aforementioned Premiere bug. I'm not entirely sure which systems were affected, but Adobe has acknowledged the problem and reported it as fixed in their next release. In the meantime, since you're running Windows, you might try our AVI format. The Export module will batch convert to something you can use in the interim, assuming your TriCaster has it (most do).

I have a Tricaster 40. Still new at it, this is my first event. But I haven't seen an export module. Where would that be?

indiehouse
04-17-2013, 05:36 PM
We're running the Tricaster 40 as well. It appears the only export option is PGM. Are there other options with the TC40?

indiehouse
04-18-2013, 08:20 AM
With Quicktime installed on our Windows 7 machine, our Newtek files crash both Premier Pro and Media Encoder CS6. We're running the TC40, and it doesn't appear that we have any export options on the Newtek Tricaster.

We're pretty much dead in the water right now.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Buddy.Hannon
04-18-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm in the middle of doing a lot of editing of video from our Tricaster 40. After having a few frustrating days, this is what I can offer:
1) make sure you have the Newtek Codec's installed on your editing machine.
2) Copy the raw files to your editing machine, for a few reasons:
a) You won't be extremely slowing your Tricaster.
b) You'll run into fewer instances of importing the files locking up Premiere.
c) Premiere conforming the files will happen so much faster.
3) If you have issues getting your Tricaster footage into Premiere, you might consider converting them. I've been using Wondershare in some instances with great results.
4) Run MBAM or your software of choice and make sure you have no virus or malware on your editing machine.

Buddy.Hannon
04-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Oh, also how much RAM do you have?

kanep
04-18-2013, 12:53 PM
TriCaster 40 doesn't have the export module. This feature is on TC450E/455/850E/855/8000 systems. You can also use SpeedEdit to export as well on those systems.

indiehouse
04-18-2013, 02:23 PM
We're recording to disc on the Tricaster, then moving the files via an external drive to our editing machines. From there, the files are copied to the internal drives of the editing machines. Newtek codecs have already been installed. Premier locks up and doesn't have the chance to conform the files. We're looking into converting the files via a third party converter, but honestly, we shouldn't have to do this with a system that costs as much as this. It's not an ideal and long term solution. There is no malware on our system.

- - - Updated - - -

28GB of RAM on our editing machines.

- - - Updated - - -

I assume SpeedEdit isn't available on the TC40 then, right?

kanep
04-18-2013, 04:37 PM
SpeedEdit isn't available for the TC40 systems.

Do the Quicktime files play correctly in Quicktime player?

I think that Adobe Media Encoder CS6 is still be available in 32-bit version, you might give that a try to see if it works better (if you are using the 64-bit version).

SBowie
04-18-2013, 04:53 PM
It's not an ideal and long term solution.I agree it's unfortunate, but as stated several times in these forums, Adobe has acknowledged that the bug is theirs and informed us that is is fixed in beta, so in the short term, suggestions for workarounds are what you're going to get I'm afraid. (There are measures underway on our end as well to reduce the likelihood of this sort of thing in future, but I'm not at liberty to discuss that just yet.)

JPulera
05-06-2013, 12:29 PM
We shot an event with TC455 and recorded PGM and two camera ISOs using the AVI option. Installed Newtek codec on PC with CS6, but Premiere still refused to import, said "File format unsupported or damaged file". I noticed that TriCaster puts parentheses in the filenames and I was always taught to NOT use any punctuation or special characters in filenames. I removed the parentheses and then the Import worked. The other issue I ran into is that it took absolutely forever to "Conform Audio" for each clip, but once that was done, clips are working smoothly in CS6. I will be testing the MPEG-2 option to before next job. As was mentioned in another post, Import one at a time! Had no luck trying all at once. Do one, wait for audio conform to finish, save, then next one.

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

SBowie
05-06-2013, 12:44 PM
That's interesting about the parentheses. Those days are gone, in general, but perhaps it's still a problem in some apps.

Buddy.Hannon
05-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I know that all of these are work arounds until Abode makes a fix, but if you import the files to the computer that has Premiere, the Audio Conform goes quicker.

SBowie
05-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Honestly, I wouldn't have expected there to be a problem with AVIs, running Premiere on a windows system. The problem with the Quicktimes in Premiere is another matter.

adebats
05-19-2013, 11:34 AM
Sadly Quicktiime is the only option available on the Tric40 and we use premiere for all our edits. Would be nice to have the mpg option on this if the hardware allows.

scadelearning
07-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Hello - I'm having a similar issue in that recorded PGM footage is not loading into my NLE (Adobe Premiere). My situation is I am recording our live shows with a Tricaster 455 and using Adobe Premiere CS6 on a Mac running 10.7. The message I regularly receive is "Codec missing or unavailable". I have installed the Newtek Codec Pack for Mac and a series of Pro Application Codecs from Apple based on various other forums I've read. Neither of these additional codec packs has solved this issue to import the original PGM recording.

I have had luck trans coding footage from the QT 4:2:2 codec to Apple Video and Newtek 4:2:2 codecs importing to Adobe Premiere without trouble. I have been experimenting with Speed Edit to do this however I have been overall unhappy with the results of the trans coded files showing compression artifacts. I have yet to dial in settings that produce an equivalent picture to what has been recorded.

I need to output these recordings for two purposes one to upload to a CDN for on-demand delivery which the H.264 codec and custom settings can do and two for long term archive. I am not all that familiar with video codecs or if one is better than another so I could use help on two fronts?

Is there a solution to loading QT 4:2:2 footage into Adobe Premiere CS6 on a Mac?

and

What are your suggestions for video codec to output archive footage. Note- this footage may later be pulled up to edit for any number of reasons.

Thank you in advance!

JPulera
07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
For the TC40 users, please keep in mind that the new V2 Upgrade provides a lot more options for recording formats, so that may be helpful.

Another option might be the Atomos Ninja 2 recorder. Has HDMI input with pass-thru and records directly to Apple ProRes, and that will definitely work on Macs (as well as PC). The TC455 has the dedicated HDMI Program out, so that's an easy connect. With the TC40, using the HDMI out (set to PROGRAM) would work, but you'd sacrifice the MultiView capabilities (if using V2). But again, Ninja does have a pass-thru so you can still connect a larger HDMI display for viewing Program feed. Ninja may be more useful for TC40 use since the 40 doesn't have a removable drive and you have to transfer material. Ninja would save a lot of time there, ready to edit the moment the show is over!

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

marvick300
07-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I would also like to add that it looks like adobe has fixed the problem with Premiere crashing when you try and import the quicktime files into the new Premiere CC (I am running v 7.0.1 (105) on win7).

Buddy.Hannon
07-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Marvick, the problem isn't completely fixed. Try a large file. I've had better results with Premiere CC, but not consistent ones. At first when I tried the new Premiere I was happy, but in further testing it seems like there is still an issue.

kanep
07-22-2013, 04:00 PM
Can you give us more details on what happens? I just captured a 55 minute QuickTime 4:2:2 (41GB) on my TC455 system and brought it into Premiere CC 7.0.1 on Windows 7 without any issues. I do find that turning off the Audio Peak file generation speed things up when working with large files in Premiere.

How large was the file you were bring in? Are you using QT 4:2:2 or 4:2:0?

Buddy.Hannon
07-23-2013, 12:57 PM
It was a Quicktime 4:2:2, but since then I've been testing out a patch for the Tricaster 40 which has solved my issue. It seemed that in some cases that Premiere was still choking on the Timecode.

Buddy.Hannon
07-24-2013, 12:32 PM
Hey Kane, I just reinstalled 5d on our 40 to do some troubleshooting. The first file I tried to bring into CC hung it up and I had to close it down. This was only a 4 minute clip recorded in Quicktime 4:2:2

When I have a minute, I'll reinstall my patched version and try the same thing, but first I have a bigger Tricaster fish to fry........

02-21-2014, 12:26 PM
So,
Truly,
Tricaster and the Adobe stuff, AE&PR, don't work together, at all, when working with a Mac?
In a classroom setting with TC460, AE 5.5 and PR with which NONE of the formats available for export will import to the macs. Very frustrating.

Even with the codecs installed it's a no-go.

Help.

SBowie
02-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I'm not sure if any of this will be helpful, but as background - the NewTek codecs for Mac would not be relevant to an issue loading clips recorded by TC as Quicktime. However, as mentioned below, there was a known issue in at least some fairly recent versions of Adobe software that was related to the latter handling embedded timecode incorrectly. (This is why some TriCaster updates, as a workaround, offer an option on installation to record without embedded timecode). I was under the impression that this problem had been addressed by Adobe.

stanarthur
03-14-2014, 01:47 PM
I recently recorded some video files on my TC40 Version 2 using an .avi setting. These files will not import to Premiere Pro CS6 on my HP Z800 workstation (Windows 7). The error message states that the file is corrupt. I opened one of these files with Video Inspector, which indicated that I was missing the codec "SHQ2". After searching for that, I downloaded and installed "NewTek_SpeedHQ_Codec.dll" in the Windows > System32 directory. But that didn't work. I also cannot play the files in Windows Media Player or Quicktime. I also tried changing the file extension to .mpeg without success. The TC40 recording preset was AVI 4:2:2.

SBowie
03-14-2014, 03:15 PM
I downloaded and installed "NewTek_SpeedHQ_Codec.dll"You can find the NewTek codec installer for both Windows and PSX on your TriCaster or in downloads on the Support webpages. I don't know if installing properly will help you or not (Im thinking you might need the 64bit codecs for PP) ... Premiere has been a bit of a pain in this respect, as discussed earlier.

kanep
03-14-2014, 03:21 PM
I don't know if installing properly will help you or not 9Im thinking you might need the 64bit codecs for PP) ... Premiere has been a bit of a pain in this respect, as discussed earlier.

Yea, the main issue is that Quicktime for Windows isn't 64-bit while all of the current editing tools are written on 64-bit software architectures. So when it comes to using Quicktime files inside a 64-bit application, there are all of these workarounds used by the NLE developers. Some have gone with using their own Quicktime libraries and bypassing the Apple ones. If that is the case, they probably will not see our QT codecs.

SBowie
03-14-2014, 07:54 PM
If that is the case, they probably will not see our QT codecs.For your case, though, since you're using AVIs, I'd expect you might be ok.