PDA

View Full Version : Leapmotion promises no more effort for creating 3D.

Ernest
01-24-2013, 11:43 PM
Good news! According to Leapmotion, from now on we will not need to spend hours creating our models, we will no longer need to slave away learning proportions, balance, polyflow, anatomy, etc.

This is a direct quote from their latest CES presentation:

If we can let people bring that to a computer and they can sit in front of something like a 3D virtual piece of clay, and they can sculpt that clay with their hands and fingers, suddenly, people who have never created anything on a computer -ever- can create a complex 3D model that is just as good as what someone would create who is a professional 3D modeler, and they can do that with no training and in seconds.
http://live.cnet.com/Event/CES_2013_The_next_interface_You?Page=0

djwaterman
01-25-2013, 01:02 AM
I doubt it, people that make these claims gloss over too much reality to be taken seriously. I'm calling hype on this. I noted the ironic tone in your post.

mikala
01-25-2013, 01:18 AM
"Holy stupid sales pitch Batman!"
ZBrush and or Mudbox are already like sitting down with some digital clay but you still have to be able to
move it around into something recognizable! What, is the user linked up to the computer using some kind of new
bizarre brain wave reader?
What a joke.

Ernest
01-25-2013, 03:44 AM
Just thinking at the horror I created when I first used real, actual clay with my actual hands and fingers still brings nightmares.

Ryan Roye
01-25-2013, 03:56 AM
They said the same thing about goanimate! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Pjgs9I9Ns)

BigHache
01-25-2013, 04:49 AM
Fractal Design Painter could have been touted the same way, but you still had to have an art background.

Surrealist.
01-25-2013, 05:03 AM
Well of course it is an outrageous claim to say you can create a professional level work of art with no training or experience, but I believe the technology is real. There is always a hype with all products that gives you this impression. He is pushing it a little to say the least but the concept is powerful and certainly the way we will interact in the future will become more "technologically organic".

stiff paper
01-25-2013, 05:21 AM
Oh, psshhht...

You're all just being silly now.

Everybody knows that it's the tool that makes you an awesome professional. Everybody knows that if your 3D sucks then it must be because you're not using the same tool that Pixar/ILM/Weta uses.

hrgiger
01-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Forget the button that makes instant 3D. Give me the button that puts dollars in my bank account. Now that would be amazing technology.

Netvudu
01-26-2013, 05:23 AM
Also they forgot to state polygon flow is something you don´t have to worry about as long as you´re not going to animate the bloody thing...in that case you´re screwed, of course.

DrStrik9
01-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Hype. Media-space-filler. Lies.

m.d.
01-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Forget the button that makes instant 3D. Give me the button that puts dollars in my bank account. Now that would be amazing technology.

its called bitcoin mining....
kinda ultra high tech ponzi scam (but less so then real fiat currency)

jwiede
07-17-2013, 02:50 AM
Almost LeapMotion time... really looking fwd to seeing how well it holds up to all its hype.

prometheus
07-17-2013, 05:50 PM
a lot of crock talk about leap motion and people never used 3d being able to create stuff as proffesionals within seconds, how on earth was he allowed by himself or his market team to say such things?
This looks proffesional...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHzZaAMfXbM

leap motion might be nice to have if you are doing exercises at home while still being able to surf or drag around maps in google map or google earth maybe, or other web stuff.

Michael

jasonwestmas
07-17-2013, 08:02 PM
Again, the reason we use mice, pens and keyboards is because they're fast and it doesn't make your body tired. If you want exercise that's one thing, art and design is quite another.

pinkmouse
07-23-2013, 03:28 AM
Review from The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/23/review_leap_motion_controller/). Might be useful for hand mocap perhaps?