PDA

View Full Version : Sub-D'd pointy bits when you mirror geometry

jeric_synergy
01-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Working on a rubbish character, and running into a familiar problem, which I can't remember how to defeat. :(

See the pix. Mesh attached. It's a bone-headed problem, soooooo... The issue is the pointy cusp at various places but here illustrated on the lip.

It seems more resistant to point placement than I expected. I've dealt with this problem before but I don't remember what the solution is.

Thanks.

nickdigital
01-22-2013, 07:18 PM
Select the points down that axis, set them to a value of 0 on X and hit merge points. You have points that aren't merging properly when you mirror. Which means your points aren't on 0 (zero) X.

jeric_synergy
01-22-2013, 07:22 PM
I picked that troublesome one, and only one point registered, AND its Info said it was at x=0.

Try the mesh (It's right above the image, kinda hard to spot.) --One common issue is when there's a hidden poly also attached to a point, going inside a mech, but I don't think that's the problem this time...

EDIT: :stumped: Well, :hedscratch: somewhere along the line this sort of thing fixed it, so I guess that was the case, although the info said it wasn't. Thanks Nick!

zardoz
01-22-2013, 08:35 PM
usually this kind of situation is caused by a polygon inside the mesh...or a 4 point or more polygon that is linear, like a 2 point poly chain...

nickdigital
01-22-2013, 09:21 PM
I picked that troublesome one, and only one point registered, AND its Info said it was at x=0.

Try the mesh (It's right above the image, kinda hard to spot.) --One common issue is when there's a hidden poly also attached to a point, going inside a mech, but I don't think that's the problem this time...

EDIT: :stumped: Well, :hedscratch: somewhere along the line this sort of thing fixed it, so I guess that was the case, although the info said it wasn't. Thanks Nick!

I did grab your mesh and did exactly what I said and it fixed it. You may have selected one of the two points that was there and that one was on x 0.

jeric_synergy
01-22-2013, 10:26 PM
I did grab your mesh and did exactly what I said and it fixed it. You may have selected one of the two points that was there and that one was on x 0.
I'm taking the win, but really, it was only displaying 1 point selected, I swear.

nickdigital
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm taking the win, but really, it was only displaying 1 point selected, I swear.

Chalk it up to the computer gremlins. :-)