PDA

View Full Version : Hiding layers under their objects in Graph Editor (Expose with little triangle)

PabloMack
01-21-2013, 02:18 PM
I find the Graph Editor to be one of the most useful features of Layout. But one of its frustrations is seeing all of the object layers listed separately in the channels window. I know I could create some sets to organize them but haven't yet bothered to learn how to do this. But even if I were using that feature, it would be nice for all of an object's layers to be hidden within the object until you expose them by clicking on the little triangle. When you press the triangle, it would expose the next level in the parenting heirarchy in the same fashion as done in the Layers Panel (F7) in Modeler. It sure would speed up finding the object (and subsequently the channel that I am looking for) by hiding all of those layers until needed.

UnCommonGrafx
01-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Hmm,
That button to the right of the word 'hide' under the word 'filter' doesn't work for this?

PabloMack
01-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Hmm, I have looked over the whole Graph Editor panel and I don't see the words "hide" or "filter" anywhere. If I click on the "channels" dropdown there is a filter option but this only brings up a rather simple popup that allows me to type in a name with wildcard characters. The default filter is "*.*". Under the "Selection" dropdown over the graph itself, there are some filter options but no "buttons" per se, nothing that says "hide". Are we talking about the same panel?

Sensei
01-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Filter and hide buttons are in Scene Editor.. :)

UnCommonGrafx
01-22-2013, 03:09 AM
chuckle,
Yeah, just caught my faux pas.

PabloMack
01-22-2013, 02:14 PM
Ohhh! That's not what I am talking about. I am NOT talking about hiding items in the scene for rendering. I am talking about colapsing the layers in the channel list within their respective objects in the lower left quadrant of the Graph Editor. It would be nice if, when you went into the Graph Editor, you would only see the items listed. The individual layers within their objects would not be exposed in the list until you clicked on the little triangle just as the individual channels within each layer are not exposed until you click on the little triangles. So with this feature request, the channels would be the leaves on the layer hierarchy trees, but for purposes of navigating the Channel List in the Graph Editor only.

Imagine how crowded the channel list would look and how difficult it would be to search for a channel if all of the channels were exposed in this list. Well, if you have a huge number of objects in your scene, you end up with this same problem. Colapsing the layers (which otherwise would appear in their parenting hierarchy tree) within their objects would make this list much more navigable.

To illustrate, instead of seeing the following in the channel list:

> ObjectX:Layer1
> ObjectX:Layer2
> ObjectX:Layer3
> ObjectX:Layer4
> ObjectX:Layer5
> ObjectX:Layer6
> ObjectX:Layer7
> ObjectX:Layer8
> ObjectX:Layer9
> ObjectX:Layer10
> ObjectX:Layer11

you would just have:

> ObjectX

Then if you wanted to expose a channel that was in one of the layers of ObjectX then you would press the triangle and it would open up its hierarchy tree like so:

v ObjectX
--> Layer1
--> Layer2
--> Layer3
--> Layer4
--> Layer5
--> Layer6
--> Layer7
--> Layer8
--> Layer9
--> Layer10
--> Layer11

then you would expose the individual channels within the layer of choice by pressing its little triangle:

v ObjectX
--> Layer1
--v Layer2
----Position X
----Position Y
----Position Z
----Rotation H
----Rotation P
----Rotation B
----Scale X
----Scale Y
----Scale Z
--> Layer3
--> Layer4
--> Layer5
--> Layer6
--> Layer7
--> Layer8
--> Layer9
--> Layer10
--> Layer11

You could then colapse them when finished with them by clicking on the now down facing triangles. This would keep the channel list more clean and much shorter. In the example above, I am using a '>' for a right pointing triangle and a 'v' for a down pointing triangle. This forum's text system doesn't seem to support Unicode. Also, this forum software removes all of my indentations so I had to substitute a '-' for each space.