PDA

View Full Version : Simple character: the damn belt



jeric_synergy
01-20-2013, 12:16 AM
on the attached mesh, I'm having a heck of time adding a bit of thickness to the 'belt' (the black polys). :bangwall:

What am I missing in this seeming simple task? 8/

Tnx!

110512

XswampyX
01-20-2013, 04:19 AM
Hello, Jeric_synergy.

Had a quick look at you lwo. Your mesh seems to be under a bit of sub patch stretching. I think you need more geometry in it.

If you want to change the belt as is. Try bandsaw around the belt using two cuts one set at 1% and the other at 99%.
Deselect all, and then select the inner loop of the belt.
Then stretch the belt in the top down view to give it some thickness.

Cheers!

jeric_synergy
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
If you want to change the belt as is. Try bandsaw around the belt using two cuts one set at 1% and the other at 99%.
Deselect all, and then select the inner loop of the belt.
Then stretch the belt in the top down view to give it some thickness.
Cheers!
xswampyx, glad to know my thought processes follow yours occasionally! :) That's EXACTLY what I did, except I tried to use Multishift instead of Stretch, thinking that might be more consistent all around. (PolyNormalMove would maybe work too.) Multishift really made a hash of it.

No shifter seem to work as I hoped. :cry: I'll give Stretch a whirl.


SIDEBAR: when I went looking for Multishift, it was gone from my config and not findable in the Menu Editor. (!!!) wtf? Turns out Multishift is a plugin: I had to rescan the plugin directory and re-add it to the menu config. Very distressing: I wonder what else I've lost-- obscure plugins that if they were still in the menues I'd be reminded to use them in the rare occasion I need them, but since they're gone I forget about them. harumph.

prometheus
01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
a little tough, I didnīt get any decent results with multishift or smooth shift, but mainly Xswampy is right, just need to be able to use multishift properly.
the geometry need extra edgeloops next to the belts edges.

I tried the detail/edges/border slice, I selected one edgeloop of the belta and run that command, it will create an extraloop in the middle, the selected that and did it again,so I got a few more loops, then selected
all those middle loops and simply sized those edgeloops, then I selected the loops next to the end edgeloops and moved them as close I can.
in the end I selected the middle loops and dissolved them, they werent necessary.

Think you would have need a denser mesh division in order for multishift to work properly, I think it might be best to just move edges and size them.

A total of 5 loops should be enough, you have the initial loops that makes the belt shape, thatīs 2, then you need 2 more loops very close to those, then 1 edgeloop running in the middle to retain a bulge shape.

I think if we only had a tube divided in some segments, it wouldnīt be any problem to run multishift and get a belt band over that, but you have some very irregular edges here.

Michael

prometheus
01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Another tip, maybe copy the body mesh only to another layer, subdivide with metaform, select only the belt, cut..then delete that body, and paste the belt back to the second layer, run smooth shift on that and you
will get a very exact shape of the belt, then you can copy or cut it and paste to the original body, after all..a belt is sitting on top mostly as a second part, not moulded in one suite, hard to tell with hero spandex though:)

Michael

jeric_synergy
01-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Thanks for your efforts Michael. What I can't figure out is WHY the thing we all expect to work (cuts+multishift) is failing so bad. :stumped:

Appreciated!

I'll take another run at it.

Ryan Roye
01-20-2013, 08:39 PM
Another way to do it is to use a plugin called "thickener", set it to "outer", adjust, apply.

prometheus
01-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Thanks for your efforts Michael. What I can't figure out is WHY the thing we all expect to work (cuts+multishift) is failing so bad. :stumped:

Appreciated!

I'll take another run at it.

well I think it works as it should, you have to understand the difference between subpatched object and the interpolations that is done at that level, if you want a more exact shape
from the mesh you work on, you should not smooth or multishift from subpatch...if you want exact,narrow smooth shift out from the selected part.

if you try on non subpatch to smooth shift, you will get a close bevel, as soon as you subpatch it..then the interpolation will be quite off, so try first to smooth shift with non subpatch, then subdivide it with facet mode once, and hit tab for subpatch again, this time it will be more accurate, and also more geometry and more edges.

Michael

prometheus
01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
hereīs a sample image showcasing how it affects two different divisions, and of course the higher division level will give more accurate smooth shift.

The shapes below are suppatched versions of the shapes above with its two different division levels.
And if you do not want to divide and give the whole mesh extra geometry, you have to move edgeloops to contract and also add some extra edgeloops.

Michael