PDA

View Full Version : "Manage" clips without leaving Tricaster

SteveSpaw
01-19-2013, 05:25 PM
We get a lot of clips delivered to us during shows, most of these are ProRes 422 HQ. To get Audio I must import them outside of Live production. I realize that this is a processor strain for a period of time, but many times we are just sitting on a powerpoint slide for a long time and nothing else happening. If there was a way to do this (maybe with a warning) without leaving Live it would be great. We have not been burned yet, but I am sure it will happen.

Thanks,
Steve

SBowie
01-19-2013, 09:59 PM
It might be better to convert these externally, if possible. A Mac with NewTek Quicktime codes installed can write a TC friendly format. Then all you'd have to deal with was the file transfer.

SteveSpaw
01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
It may be better but not always practical, We have clips being sent to us by FTP from several locations DURING a show. We are not very often in a position to tell the Video producers (sadly still using FCP) what to use and how to deliver when they consider PRORES 422 the state of the industry

SBowie
01-22-2013, 08:58 AM
It may be better but not always practicalI understand that, and am not unsympathetic. I'm just trying to suggest something that might help for now at least.

I don't expect people to deliver exactly what you need, and some may well view Pro Res 422 as "state of the industry" - but actually looking around the industry at this time, realtime Pro Res support on a 64 bit Windows system has to be considered iffy, at best. That being so, for local TriCaster playback, and for the time being, you're definitely going to have to do a conversion. If you can't do it beforehand, all I'm suggesting is that you may want to do it upstream. (Alternatively, if you can find something that will play it smoothly, I'd consider playing it on a laptop, and feeding it to TriCaster using iVGA Pro. You'd save a DDR, avoid live network or hard drive issues, and have no transcoding to fuss with.)

SteveSpaw
01-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Not be confrontational, but I am not sure what you mean by "iffy". I can play the clip in realtime on any modern windows laptop in quicktime or Premiere Pro. I am not a fan of PRORES but it is what it is.

In fact the clips play perfectly imported into the bin without conversion, but without audio. What would it take to fix the No-Audio issue? I can bring in, and do, Quicktime H.264 clips with no problem directly into the bin.

If I have to play these back on another machine, then the client may as well bring in a GVG Turbo and operator which is exactly what I sell against.

SBowie
01-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Not be confrontational, but I am not sure what you mean by "iffy".I mean that my quick search for current status before writing my post immediately turned up dozens of recent posts from people reporting they have not got it to work very well in multiple Windows apps.

P.S., re: "Not be confrontational..." - No fear, there is no such thing as 'bad feedback' (in this context); it's very useful to kick these things around, and much appreciated.
P.P.S, I'm thinking that perhaps the subject line for this thread should instead be "Add DDR support for Pro Res".

SteveSpaw
01-22-2013, 10:43 AM
I agree on post title change probably, :-).

This is one of my pet peeves with Microsoft, if they would just give us a production quality codec, we could start to starve the Apple beast, but Newtek should take the queue from others and build in
'SUPPORT FOR APPLE PRORES HQ AND AVID DNxHD BUILT IN"
As much as I don't like it, it would be a huge promotion of status in the eyes of many of the Apple sheeple.

Microsoft should just buy Cineform and give the stuff away in Windows 8. They would be the new OS of choice for producers very quickly and turn the tables on this whole PRORES deal.

OK end of rant, thanks for playing along. :-)

SteveSpaw
01-22-2013, 10:49 AM
Oh BTW I misspoke, I said the PRORES plays without audio, I was just reminded that it is the opposite they play audio without video. sorry for the confusion

SBowie
01-22-2013, 10:50 AM
That sounds right, yep.