PDA

View Full Version : Creative Cloud Horror Story

DrStrik9
01-19-2013, 12:09 PM
I'll try to keep this short.

It's Saturday. I get into the office, working on a Monday a.m. deadline. With no warning or explanation, all Adobe Creative Cloud apps will work only in TRIAL MODE. I can even update apps that need updating using the Applications Manager, but can't actually USE any Creative Cloud apps. I went to their forums for help, but since it's Saturday, there is no staff or other help. A dozen problems and questions remain unanswered there. I get the email monthly that they've received my payment (via credit card). I checked "My Adobe" Subscription Services page, and it confirms that my CC subscription is "active." So WTF. I opened an Adobe online "chat" which took 45 minutes, and got nowhere. There are sales staff and "customer service" staff working on Saturday (probably in India), but no actual support.

This may be the one huge crack in Adobe's Creative Cloud system. Here we are, hanging by a thread, depending on their service for our livelihoods, and their lack of knowledge and ability to help in a crisis is STUNNING. After 45 minutes, all I got was the well-known support telephone number.

I'm working overtime to keep my cool ... and possibly not doing a very good job.

I took a deep breath and called the support line. But of course it's Saturday, and Adobe support is taking the weekend off. I attempted to make an appointment for a call-back, but their automated phone system screwed up so many times, I was disconnected for "too many tries."

Words fail me.

"Gee, thanks, Adobe" doesn't begin to cover it. For the last 3 months, CC has worked flawlessly. As an idea, I think it's great. But as of this moment, I would NOT recommend it to anyone serious about their work and client relationships. It might possibly be appropriate for hobbyists, who can afford to wait DAYS to solve a (simple?) problem like this.

I am seriously screwed on this project, will absolutely miss this deadline. If I don't lose this client, it will be a miracle ... REALLY looking forward to that phone call Monday morning, at the time the project is due ... What can I say? "... Um, sorry, Adobe screwed us over?"

... OK, I'm going to go soak my head in a bucket of Jack Daniels now ...

Greenlaw
01-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Hmmm. And here I was thinking about switching over--think I'll wait a while longer.

Very sorry to hear of your troubles but thanks for for the warning. :)

G.

DigitalSorcery8
01-20-2013, 12:17 AM
This is sad.

I have ZERO intention of switching to "the cloud" so this is just another "glad I was right" situation.

Sorry to hear about this though. Pressure from the software is not needed when you've already got pressure from a deadline.

BigHache
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM
I haven't experienced what you described (which makes no sense) but I have had one cloud application fail to run for no apparent reason. I did find some help online and after an hour finally got working again (which I think is still unacceptable). I think my issue was caused by the Adobe Application Manager which gets constant updates and screwed up my Acrobat.

As a desperate resort I would try uninstalling/reinstalling the suite or at least reinstalling one application to see if it somehow rights itself. Not exactly a fast process nor one you should have to do, but if it helps meet the deadline get it done and sort the issues later.

50one
01-20-2013, 02:32 AM
I'll never upload anything to some servers based who-knows-where(the whole term "cloud" just annoys me). I like dropbox tho, but only as a small backup.

gerry_g
01-20-2013, 04:16 AM
last post withstanding ???, It is not true it is strictly a cloud issue I'm on permanent subscription and the same thing happened to me last week, put the updates in and when the dialogue pops up telling you you are in trial mode asking if you wish to continue yes or no enter yes and this should get you to the register product dialogue/ trial mode option, just re register and your done, from what I've read I believe Apples decision to deprecate jave support caused Adobe to issue an update to get round some Java dependant features that would otherwise be adversely affected in the suit, this said only my SnowLeopard install failed and my Lion one ran without a grumble so it seems it was just pot luck if got hit.

Lewis
01-20-2013, 04:44 AM
Sorry to hear that, possible solution - Sue them, make them pay for (possible) lost client. There is no other way to "teach" them that support in that case (cloud) must be 24/7/365 and instant within few minutes, not hours/days.

Lewis
01-20-2013, 04:44 AM
double post

Ryste3d
01-20-2013, 05:06 AM
No problem with Cloud her at the moment. But at one point I had to uninstall my suit and re-install it all. And I was so pissed when I did it... just remember to use the latest “adobe creative suite cleaner tool” after you have uninstalled all your Adobe software. It worked for me.

DrStrik9
01-20-2013, 06:16 AM
By the middle of Saturday, facing the fact I was going to miss my deadline, I just went ahead and opened apps in Trial Mode. The apps ran. I opened files and saved several as tests. No "Trial" garbage showed up in any of them, so I quit the apps. The second time I opened a "Trial" app, I got the chance to hook up once again to my cloud subscription. RELIEF!

And I made my deadline.

It was a very unpleasant experience, but I survived. I hadn't realized that Trial Mode isn't any different than normal app operation. So it scared the sh*t out of me. There has been a bunch of discussion about this in the Adobe CC forum, but since it's still the weekend, no staff has showed up yet. It had something to do with Java, and in some ways it looks like Apple and Adobe are pointing fingers at one another.

It seems that if for any reason, when Adobe's bot (or whatever it is) comes by to tell your computer that your CC membership is up to date, and you're off-line, it automatically puts your subscription into "Trial Mode" for 30 days, assuming you'll be online the next month when the bot comes by again. This makes no sense to me, since my box was up and rendering the entire week. Maybe my isp had a lapse that coincided with the bot's visit, who knows.

But apparently I needed a heart attack, and I only really lost half a day (and some stomach lining).

Other comments indicate that it's some kind of a licensing bug that Adobe's working on, and has been working on for quite some time. Other than my Saturday heart attack, Creative Cloud has been great, extremely reasonably-priced, and flawless. Best of all, my tools are up-to-the-minute.

Can't WAIT for the tech support return call Monday. They are gonna get an earful.

50one
01-20-2013, 06:31 AM
Sorry to hear that, possible solution - Sue them, make them pay for (possible) lost client. There is no other way to "teach" them that support in that case (cloud) must be 24/7/365 and instant within few minutes, not hours/days.

Sue Adobe? you mad:)?

I'm sure all you Adobe cloud users have read the T&C for the cloud usage.

sami
01-20-2013, 07:09 AM
The cloud is evil. 'Nuff said. And by "Nuff" I mean I have more to say about the centralization of the Internet - give me a capital one-off expense any day over a nickel-and-dime-me-to-death subscription any day.

Glad you made it through this, but what happens 31 days from now if the same hiccup occurs? Will adobe think your trial is expired and fail in the time of need or will it reset the trial for another 30 days? I'm betting the former. Software as a service is for the birds, unless you have your own servers and staff to manage your own hosting of it.

Marcia
01-20-2013, 07:10 AM
Glad there was a happy ending to this horror story...and that you survived to tell it. Totally agree tech support should be available 24/7/365, the same hours people in the creative field work. This is why I'm stubbornly clinging to CS3 while being heckled by husband and youngest daughter, who are also on the cloud.

DrStrik9
01-20-2013, 06:12 PM
The cloud is evil. 'Nuff said. And by "Nuff" I mean I have more to say about the centralization of the Internet - give me a capital one-off expense any day over a nickel-and-dime-me-to-death subscription any day.

Glad you made it through this, but what happens 31 days from now if the same hiccup occurs? Will adobe think your trial is expired and fail in the time of need or will it reset the trial for another 30 days? I'm betting the former. Software as a service is for the birds, unless you have your own servers and staff to manage your own hosting of it.

I get your point, and the cloud's probably not for everyone. Although when I was "in crisis," I did recommend that people avoid the Cloud, it's been extremely good, except for yesterday. And in retrospect, what really went wrong was my own freakout. The same lesson always returns: "no matter what happens, keep your head." (How many times do I need to learn this? Well, just once would be good!) :D

I do wish their tech support was 24/7, but for a buck a day for all the software you can eat, (to become $1.66 a day after the first year), I might investigate their support contracts. But if THOSE aren't 24/7, I'll probably pass.

On the other hand, I have CS5 still installed, so in a serious crunch, I can defer to that, although there are caveats with certain apps.

Not sure what would happen if you were paid up, and your computer was down or your isp had a glitch at the exact moment adobe's bot came around, but my guess would be that you would just get another 30 days of trial mode, and be able to reconnect to your subscription.

Lightwolf
01-21-2013, 06:34 AM
This really isn't a cloud issue though, but a simple licensing problem.

Last time I rented a license for a month it also took unusually long for the renewal to process. The first couple of times it was just a few minutes though.

Cheers,
Mike

DrStrik9
01-21-2013, 06:41 PM
This really isn't a cloud issue though, but a simple licensing problem.

You're right, Mike. But "simple" sometimes isn't "easy" to fix. They've been working on it for quite some time.

Of course, from a user's point of view, if the licensing doesn't work, then it's a Cloud problem. :)

Lightwolf
01-22-2013, 03:24 AM
Of course, from a user's point of view, if the licensing doesn't work, then it's a Cloud problem. :)
Oh, certainly. Especially since Adobe marketing has been using the cloud term for just about anything recently - while the products themselves have hardly anything to do with it.

PR's just wonderful, isn't it? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Sekhar
01-22-2013, 09:28 AM
I've been using cloud since June. Occasionally stuff like this (trial mode, etc.) happens, but all you need to do is to try again. This seems to happen when the application tries to validate the license and can't connect to their servers for whatever reason. Just make sure your network is fine.

sami
01-22-2013, 10:19 AM
To me, that is just one more piece that can fall over and (again for me) the cloud doesn't provide any added value, merely more fail-over points. Even though the UN says the internet is a human right, my ISP (although stable) does not have as much uptime as my power company. And even if my power company goes out, I can have a generator (at least to save before shutting down). So is it just the rental cheapness that is attractive? or the only pay for what you use? Maybe that works for casual users, but not for me. I mean while we're at it, we could make Lightwave only work with a Facebook login... :p

Who knows, once they've got everybody on cloud subscriptions, what is to stop new executives from charging per lasso, or content-aware fill you use? The airlines do it. Why wouldn't Adobe if they could?

DrStrik9
01-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Who knows, once they've got everybody on cloud subscriptions, what is to stop new executives from charging per lasso, or content-aware fill you use? The airlines do it. Why wouldn't Adobe if they could?

This kind of thing will always be a possibility, whether software is a subscription deal, or any other form of license-to-use purchase. No matter how you "buy" software, the developer retains ownership. Indeed someday there may come some idiot-sociopath-CEO who tries to put his customers in a box and beat them with a stick. (i.e. Autodesk) But people don't like being beaten with sticks. So if Adobe (or anyone) gets too aggressive in their pricing, it will just create more opportunity for competitors and open-source.

The "added value" for me (until what you suggest happens, at which point I jump ship) is additional software at a VERY reasonable price. It's a darn good "risk-reward" balance, imo.