PDA

View Full Version : install location best practice for lightwave 10.1 on windows 7 x64?

gravin
01-19-2013, 06:40 AM
I know the official guide to installing lightwave is to install in the default location "c:\Program Files\..." but I've also come across third party guides that recommend installing to the root of a drive, exp: "c:\Lightwave\..." to make setting up screamernet easier etc etc. I had things setup based on the 3rd party guide with my last setup but I'm building a new workstation and I wanted to see which was recommended by the more experienced lightwave users here. If I go the default install location route will I encounter any major headaches setting up screamernet or have those issues been resolved in newer versions of Lightwave.

nickdigital
01-20-2013, 10:05 AM
I run LW off a shared network folder. This way my workstation and render nodes are always in sync. The Program Files folder will have spaces in the path name which may be why they want you to set the files up in a different location. Running out of a shared location that is easier to access will just make setup and troubleshooting easier.

gravin
01-20-2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah that's what I figured, just wanted to make sure something hadn't changed along the way. I think I'm going to try to use a combination of the default install and the shared network location by linking the too with hardlinks and or junctions. I had my configs setup that way last time and it worked fine but if something explodes I'll be back to issue warning to anyone else who might give this a try.