PDA

View Full Version : More Modo-like Pitch Navigation Button

PabloMack
01-18-2013, 10:20 AM
In Modeler, with the rotate navigation control button, you can turn your model all the way around (along the Y Axis) as though it were on a lazy susan. This is great. However, when you pitch the model in the vertical (around a viewer-relative X-Axis), the movement seems to asymptote at the nadir and the zenith. It is like you can't get past them or even get to them. In Modo, you can rotate right past these points and back around. It would be nice if Modeler could do this. Sometimes I get stuck at the Zenith or Nadir and can't get back out. I have to exit the program and then come back in.

Danner
01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Doesn't happen to me.. make sure you have the input device set correctly (tablet or mouse) in the Interface tab of the Display properties

PabloMack
01-18-2013, 12:59 PM
Always happens to me. My device is set to mouse. You must be using the Alt-Right-Click-Drag. It doesn't happen with this method. It only happens with the rotate icon in the upper left corner of the view port (between translate "4 arrows" and zoom "magnifying glass"). Give it a try and tell me how yours works. Drag up and down with it.

ctuller
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
That happens to me fairly often too. I've found that I can get it unstuck by using ALT+RClick drag to get it back.

UnCommonGrafx
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
hmm...
Try pressing 'a'. I have found that occurring when I am not centered.
It is as though, based on the four views, it is deciding upon a point of which to rotate about.

Then again, don't forget: maybe the guys that made ours figured out and fixed a shortcoming. NT, indeed, should 'fix' it.

PabloMack
01-18-2013, 10:14 PM
hmm...
Try pressing 'a'. I have found that occurring when I am not centered.
It is as though, based on the four views, it is deciding upon a point of which to rotate about.
Then again, don't forget: maybe the guys that made ours figured out and fixed a shortcoming. NT, indeed, should 'fix' it.

The navigation buttons at the top of each window don't use any of the geometry in your layer to navigate. There is an imaginary focal point that the operations use. All the 'a' command does is to set that focal point to the center of selected geometry and adjusts zoom so that you can see it. But it really doesn't matter what your geometry is. The navigation control buttons move your point of view around and what ever is there will be visible from the current point of view. The 'a' command will linearly translate you along the plane parallel to your view port so that the geometry is within view but it doesn't change your current pitch angle. If you are at the zenith or nadir before pressing 'a', you will still be there after pressing 'a'.

Danner
01-18-2013, 10:38 PM
You are right it does get stuck if I use those widgets. Never noticed it because I never use them.