PDA

View Full Version : Need help with CG

tsturgill
11-04-2003, 06:54 AM
Hi, I am new to the video toaster and I am trying to figure out how to do the following: I have created a "bug" (channel logo for our local cablevision channel) and I want to be able to superimpose a name/title on the screen while keeping the bug. Like the news shows do. I have the bug in the dsk and use it to fade it on and now I want to add my super - how do I do it? Thanks in advance for any help. I am probably missing it in the manual, but I can't find it.

Travis

Kurt_Henning
11-04-2003, 07:20 AM
launch a 2nd DDR, put your lower 1/3s in there

Set the DSK to the proper DDR (presumably DDR2)

and work the magic with the titles

If you want to have the bug in the corner, don't mess with DDR1

good luck

tsturgill
11-04-2003, 07:28 AM
Thanks for replying. When I change the DSK to DDR2, the lower third pops on the screen and what I had in DDR1 goes away automatically. I am still a little confused. I was hoping to be able to fade up a lower third while leaving the bug in the corner.

Jim Capillo
11-04-2003, 07:44 AM
You need to have a CG page with the *bug alone* and then other pages that include the bug in all your lower thirds (in the exact same spot, of course).

That way the bug will always be there.

bradl
11-07-2003, 11:42 PM
Travis you are describing the ability to 'fade' two keys indepentently. The short answer is you can't but there are a few tricks discussed that may help- do a forum search. Briefly, you could set-up your bug and fading L/3 in a VTEdit timeline or Aura timeline (or any app that supports VT3 DSK output for that matter). Fade in the bug, then when L/3 is needed play timeline where L/3 fades in then out, using markers or in Aura different layers to jump around to different titles. Not the best but do-able.

Lastly, a DDR can contain more than one clip that would key in the DSK. Have your bug solid, but have a clip that fades your L/3 in/out and play the DDR when needed, bug would maintain and title would come and go...

mgrusin
11-08-2003, 12:04 PM
I'm not sure if this would work (or if this is what has been suggested ;) ), but:

Place Bug in downstream key.

Place lower thirds in DDR as follows:

Break each lower third into a "fade in" clip, a "hold" clip (a single frame), then a "fade out" clip. Load these three clips into the DDR. Then play the clips in order when necessary, pausing between them.

What do you think, sirs?

-MG.

bradl
11-08-2003, 04:07 PM
One thing that almost never gets mentioned is the key bus. It can be used to create certain keys and effects but ties up much of your switcher's capabilities to do it. Experiment with it and see if it may be useful in your situation...

tsturgill
11-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Thanks for the reply everyone. I will give the different options a try.

Travis