PDA

View Full Version : Have weight map driven gradients always worked this way?

dandeentremont
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
Attached are a few renders of a simple subpatched object that uses a weight map to drive a color gradient.

As you can see, when the subpatch level is turned up, the gradient becomes tighter.
It has been a LONG time since I've used this method for texturing, but I could have sworn the gradient used to be independent of the subpatch level.

Has it always been like this? If it has, please disregard.

johnliebler
01-17-2013, 03:58 PM
I think it is working as it always has. If you want the gradient to stay the same, you need to make sure that the points at the other side of the gradient have zero percent assigned to them. Which is not the same as just not having 100 percent assigned. Right now the green part of your object is not associated with the map. I know it's confusing, yeah? :) Try this: Make two copies of your object. On the first one, select the top points as you have now, and make a new weight map at 100 percent. Now on the copy select all of the points, assign zero percent to the weight, deselect, then select the top points and assign 100 percent. Bring them into Layout and see how they change as you increase the amount of subdivision.

I hope that helps. :)

dandeentremont
01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
Well, that fixed it!
Assigning a weight of 0% to the vertices which APPEAR to be at 0%.
Thanks, John!

Follow up question: Is this a bug or a feature?

johnliebler
01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
I had the same confusion a few years back, but once I figured it out, it kinda makes sense. I don't know if it's a bug or feature, but it gives me an idea for a feature request. Maybe weight shade view should have some other way to show areas of the mesh that are not included in the weightmap, instead of just making them the same color as zero percent. Hmmm....

lertola2
01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Maybe weight shade view should have some other way to show areas of the mesh that are not included in the weightmap, instead of just making them the same color as zero percent. Hmmm....

That is a really good idea.