PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 has removed the video DVD burner.. How is this better?

shrox
01-17-2013, 12:17 PM
This is a serious screw you in my opinion, it now ships with a third party app that you have to pay for to use!!

sandman300
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Or you could download the free VLC media player.

Ryan Roye
01-17-2013, 12:53 PM
This is a serious screw you in my opinion, it now ships with a third party app that you have to pay for to use!!

Windows is partially powered by anger. That is my explanation.

shrox
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Or you could download the free VLC media player.

That's not the question really.

calilifestyle
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
It's a license they no longer want to pay for i guess. They where paying for it, for the user. If you notice the cost of the upgrade is at a lower cost. I guess this one of the things they removed to do so.

shrox
01-17-2013, 01:09 PM
It's a license they no longer want to pay for i guess. They where paying for it, for the user. If you notice the cost of the upgrade is at a lower cost. I guess this one of the things they removed to do so.

It's just lame. I understand business models , profits, etc. They seem to forget who provides their profits.

raymondtrace
01-17-2013, 01:59 PM
With the advent of better codecs, HD, and other video playback devices, there's really a very small percentage of users that really need DVD MPG2 video creation apps. I'm not surprised it was excluded, like the floppy disk drive, telephone modems, and parallel ports.

But there are always free options:
https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-dvd-authoring-software.htm

Serling
01-17-2013, 02:03 PM
windows is partially powered by anger. That is my explanation.

+1,000,000 lmao!!!

shrox
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
With the advent of better codecs, HD, and other video playback devices, there's really a very small percentage of users that really need DVD MPG2 video creation apps. I'm not surprised it was excluded, like the floppy disk drive, telephone modems, and parallel ports.

But there are always free options:
https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-dvd-authoring-software.htm

I know there are free options, that paste an ad on your DVD. Not what I want.

"there's really a very small percentage of users that really need DVD MPG2 video creation apps."

I think you forget we are fairly advanced users, many still want these things.

Serling
01-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Freebies!!! :)

http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/08/featured/6-best-free-dvd-authoring-freeware-to-create-dvds-from-home-movies.html

raymondtrace
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I know there are free options, that paste an ad on your DVD. Not what I want.

Which of these paste ads?

I've used DVDStyler on Linux and I do not recall any promotional nonsense.

shrox
01-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Which of these paste ads?

I've used DVDStyler on Linux and I do not recall any promotional nonsense.

I just don't want to have to search through them to discover whether they paste an ad or not. I have used DVDStyler before with 7, but now it can't find my DVD drive.

calilifestyle
01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Now that's a different problem Shrox. You mean that your win8 install can't find the dvd drive.

shrox
01-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Now that's a different problem Shrox. You mean that your win8 install can't find the dvd drive.

It's a brand new Dell with Win 8 installed. Oh well, Windows is better than a chisel and stone tablet at times.

Ernest
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
It's a brand new Dell with Win 8 installed. Oh well, Windows is better than a chisel and stone tablet at times.

If it's a new computer and can't find the DVD drive, the cable may have come loose during shipping. Some of those poor things have really bumpy rides before they get to your home.

On the main topic, I'd normally agree with you, but the upgrade price went down from $150 to $40, so I'm pretty fine with that corner getting cut.

shrox
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
If it's a new computer and can't find the DVD drive, the cable may have come loose during shipping. Some of those poor things have really bumpy rides before they get to your home.

On the main topic, I'd normally agree with you, but the upgrade price went down from $150 to $40, so I'm pretty fine with that corner getting cut.

The drive is visible, it's just DVDStyler that can't seem to find it. Found something else anyway. Four hours later and I got a DVD...I was expecting it to take 5 minutes, like it used to!

danielkaiser
01-19-2013, 01:04 AM
I know this is a bit late. For future reference.

http://www.videohelp.com/

Great source for tools/info.