PDA

View Full Version : Collision objects

ige
01-17-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm try to figur out DYNAMICS following ClothFX tutorials (Making a bed and the Microphone web mesh at NewTek videos). But if the ClothFX-object has many polys, LightWave "hangs up". Especially the Mic example. When I make a web like William does, it gets 10000 polys. And starting calculation it seem that the polys get trippled.
It is a "heavy" object to run.
My PC has : Intel Core i7 ; Nvidia GeForce GTX 570 ; 12 Gb RAM. This should be sufficient hardware to run LW.
I use LW 10. (Is LW11 better to do the job?)
Has somebody good advices to get it work (ClothFX).

ige
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
I solved the problem using a low-res object and parented the web to that.

prometheus
01-19-2013, 04:07 AM
I mentioned somewhere else recently, you can metalink your simulation from low res object to a higher res object.

Also, your deformations will be faster if you set subdivision order to last.

Michael

prometheus
01-19-2013, 04:58 AM
The bed tutorial ..did you only watch the cinema4d tute?
here´s a cloth fx tutorial
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvx8qQ_A68

prometheus
01-19-2013, 07:56 AM
It is adviced that when creating a cloth object, you should triple it first, then hit tab for subdivision patch.

note, in clothfx tab/collision, the collision offset should mostly be raised more than default.

note..the higher resolution/divisions of the object..the better the conform will be on the draped edges, but note that it doesn´t help to increase subpatch level in layout to fix that, it seems
to need the actual model division, at least if you set subdivision order to last, you could use first for subdivision order for more exact deformation, but it will halt the calculation very much, so generally try to use last...maybe that is why you get so slow calculations?

Try instead to find a balance by the modeled objects divisions, and how much you set the subdivision order in the geometry tab in layout.

Michael

ige
01-19-2013, 09:08 AM
I notis that there are several types of collision objects - sphere/box/plane - but there are also other: object / object-subdiv / infinite and object-advance. Is tere so that you can make your own collision object? I tried, but no responce ....

prometheus
01-19-2013, 09:08 AM
a tip is to use a procedural texture on the substructure, that can give interesting folds, and also at the edges where collision starts to happen and have contact with each other, just substructure value
alone gives some folds at the end but not over the whole blanket.
See mov sample.

Michael

ige
01-19-2013, 09:10 AM
This was really a nice folding !

prometheus
01-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I notis that there are several types of collision objects - sphere/box/plane - but there are also other: object / object-subdiv / infinite and object-advance. Is tere so that you can make your own collision object? I tried, but no responce ....

if you have a standard object created in modeler, like a box, use standard object, if you have a subpatched figure, use object-subdiv, if youre just using a collision object as dynamic effector for particles or invisible collision effects, you just need sphere/box/plane...I haven´t used object advanced, so can´t tell much about that.

Michael

prometheus
01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
This was really a nice folding !

Yeah, and I just found out today, after playing for some hours...been a long time since I experimented with cloth fx, good to keep up the knowledge even though we might get better stuff soon with bullet or it might
be limited, but just more realistic,faster and working with bulled hard dynamics.

ClothFx can be fun to use for creating wakes, and you can use particles to create impacts, use clothfx to create footprints, etc.

Michael

ige
01-19-2013, 09:15 AM
I tried to load a box from Modeller as a collision obj. But I cannot se it? Only the 3 standard primitives will show.
Bjorn

prometheus
01-19-2013, 09:20 AM
I tried to load a box from Modeller as a collision obj. But I cannot se it? Only the 3 standard primitives will show.
Bjorn

wrong terms here,(picky) you don´t load a box from modeller as a collision object, you make the object from modeller..send to layout and make it a collision object by, going to the modelled objects properties tab, and add fx/collision object, you should use standard object.not sure why you only should see 3 standard (primitives)? collision types.

ige
01-19-2013, 09:22 AM
Ok. Try that. It is really exciting making things work ...
Björn

ige
01-19-2013, 10:51 AM
To get those nice folds on the animation is it only settings in the ClothFX editor you use?

OnlineRender
01-19-2013, 10:55 AM
remember you can use elements such as wind ... this can give you more control over the direction of a certain part for example or even creasing

prometheus
01-19-2013, 11:49 AM
To get those nice folds on the animation is it only settings in the ClothFX editor you use?

Dependent on other settings too, but without the procedural texture, in the substructure hold setting channel it wouldn´t get those folds

ige..Ps...check your private inbox..

Michael

ige
01-19-2013, 04:05 PM
I 've understood LW11 has more "fun" so I upgraded from LW10 NOW !
I may be asking for help if the interface / settings is different from LW10
Bjorn

prometheus
01-20-2013, 03:13 AM
I 've understood LW11 has more "fun" so I upgraded from LW10 NOW !
I may be asking for help if the interface / settings is different from LW10
Bjorn

Not that more different in UI,some added menus,with the new fx,stuff bullet,flocking etc.

Michael

OnlineRender
01-21-2013, 06:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hvx8qQ_A68