PDA

View Full Version : Fix nonplanar tool?

ShadowMystic
01-17-2013, 01:31 AM
I know the simplest way to fix nonplanar quads is tripling but that can get messy. On organic objects subpatch and freezing can fix it and with the right settings doesn't add geometry. However, that doesn't work well on some hardsurface models. What methods do other people use and could a tool be coded to fix nonplanar polys? Maybe use 3 points to define a plane and 4th point(last selected) is brought into alignment.

stiff paper
01-17-2013, 02:53 AM
That's a much thornier problem than you're giving it credit for. Fixing a nonplanar poly by moving the "wrong" vertex to the "right" place almost always makes all the other polys connected to the same vertex become nonplanar. Somebody could theoretically write a plugin that iterated through a whole model over and over trying to fix everything, but I suspect it would carry on going practically for ever, and even if it worked it seems likely that it would have changed the shape of the model, at least slightly.

Leaving objects as subpatch cages works so long as they only need to be used within LW, as a subpatch object is always tripled at rendertime anyway. Other than that, changing the way something is modeled is the only good option I know of.

What were the specific problems you've had on hard surface models?