PDA

View Full Version : Antialiasing problems, urgent

yazan
11-04-2003, 04:31 AM
We are having problems regarding antialiasing. This isn't the first time this has occured but usually on pc moniters and such it was not that bad. We've been trying to get things out for TV broadcast and this seriously poses a problem for us. Here is a shot with the different settings we're using and whats happening. Now these problems are showing up with HDR reflections, area lights, motion blur, linear lights and depth of field. I understand that motion blur and depth can vanish the higher the AA setting but the other three don't seem to have any affect. Ofcourse the mixing of these elemnts together gets terrible results. Please if anyone with TV experience and using these things can help we'd be grateful. I understand the adaptive sampling issue and things seem to get worst with contrasting color. thanks for any help.

Exper
11-04-2003, 04:38 AM
Just an hint...
it seems a bad "Adaptive Sampling" value.

Decrease or uncheck Adaptive Sampling in Camera Properties!

About HDR images:
this is a notorious problem... you can get round it blurring them a little (try different blur amount until you'll find the one you like better).

Bye.

yazan
11-04-2003, 05:03 AM
I guess I wan't clear on the adaptive sampling issue, I forgot to mention it was unchecked. As for blurring the HDR it will actually give me more problems, if it was bright to begin with then most of the reflections turn to a bright white which gives me the AA problem, and If it is dark or blurred enough or turned down in brightness I lose the reason of using it all together. i was looking at some of the thumbnails of rich helvey's work and noticed two shots of HDR in the background. I'm trying to locate his e-mail address to ask him if he had problems in as well. And i would like to understand the reason why it happenning and whther or not Newtek is aware of it and of its solution. thanks again for the fast response.

Lightwolf
11-04-2003, 07:45 AM
Try checking "Limit Dynamic Range" in the Effects->Processing tab.

Cheers,
Mike

BeeVee
11-04-2003, 08:30 AM
Looks to me like you also have a problem with non-planar polygons - why are you getting the shadow across the front of the O?

B

Exper
11-04-2003, 08:53 AM
Non planar polys or... maybe decreasing "Smooth Threshold" in the surface!

Another strange thing... look at the left corner of the back-box (below comment text) : seems there's some problem in geometry too!
Only guessing!

Bye.

cucaracha
11-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Ever tried "Enhanced AA"? Or did you already try it?

cu

Dodgy
11-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Mike, thank you for pointing that out, I'd never seen that before :)

Weetos
11-04-2003, 11:40 AM
In my humble opinion, the way you beveled your object is to blame : I had a similar problem before and to get rid of it, I had to add calculation buffers near the edges to be beveled, by beveling three times :

http://www.omalleyconsulting.net/bevel.jpg

You might also play with the smoothing threshold, depending on what you want to get. I hope this is helpful. (This tip is explained in detail in Inside LW7 Book by Dan Ablan).

Regards

yazan
11-05-2003, 03:37 AM
It seems that my point wasn't clear again. The closest to solving this was using limit dynamic range, and HDR expose, and video legalize plugins which seem to do the trick. The object was just something I threw togther and the threshhold and bevel amount along with the wierd thing at the box corner had nothing to with and I should have stated i was aware of them. I have been doing some testing and it seems to me that our video editing software's AFx inabilty to understand pixels that have higher percentage than 100% or in color terms over 255 and especially for the white color since its the closest to 255 255 255 has been showing the antialiasing problem. i guess you just can't bring the value down afterwards unlike Lightwave's exposure control on the render viewer. HDR and Area lights after many renders and using that little magnifing glass at the end of each render and compairing the numbers, can give such results. This was such a frustrating thing to deal with. But I do appreciate all the help you've givern me. as for motion blur and depth of field, its understandable that setting higher AA gives better results but I dropped the default depth of field and used xdof 2 and it works for the most part. thanks again.