PDA

View Full Version : KRAY for a newbie

tcoursey
01-15-2013, 01:59 PM
So I've been using Lightwave for quite some time. I am quite familiar with Lightwave and it's rendering solutions provided nativly within LW. The advancements have been quite nice over the years. We use baked radiosity all the time.

We recently looked back into KRay. It too has come a long way since I last looked at it. My first tests are great. It seems quite easy to get animated radiosity (moving objects lights etc) with ease. We use our own render farm exclusively. We don't render out stills, mostly animation. Image sequences.

What are some tips, tricks or things to consider if we wanted to make KRay our main render engine for Lightwave? Has anyone totally made the jump, or is it used just for "certain" things/projects?
Thanks for any feedback.

spigolo
01-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Hi,
I use kray since long time, I should say it's a great render engine but it has some limitations, for example AA isn't better then LW and depending on what algorith you use sometimes is faster and better quality than lightwave sometimes lw is faster..
So I do some projects with lw and other with kray depending on the work..anyhow it's sure that is general quality is better than lightwave native render.

erikals
01-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Kray2 is not recommended for animation. (from what i read on the Kray forums)

Kray3 should, by rumors, fix this.

also see > http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=4&t=2691&rb_v=viewtopic

khan973
01-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Well, being a user of Kray for a long time, it can be recommended for animations, but not optimized for it for sure.
The limitations lay more in the calculation of small repeted objects like grass, leaves, it takes time but you can select the number and type of rays per object to make it faster.
The other limitations are AA, the way it's calculated leads to long AA calculation while Reflection blur is hella fast!
GI looks nice and having tonemapping inside Kray is awesome! you can really get softer light or more contrasted just with it.

To my own needs, it severely lacks passes. I wish we could have LW's native + DP filter passes