PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 5.6

Azraelle
01-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Hi all

Brand new to Lightwave and these forums.

I've managed to pick up a cheap copy of 5.6 still sealed on ebay, the company went into liquidation. I'm brand new to 3D modelling, animation etc and was hoping somebody knows a good place to find some tutorials that would still work with 5.6. My plan is to work with this version to learn what I'm doing and once I feel I'm making progress and to be blunt that my work is any good upgrade/buy the latest version.

I've seen a few books on ebay and amazon such as lightwave applied 5.6 so will pick those up but the more information and tutorials I can find the better.

Thanks.

50one
01-15-2013, 07:26 AM
5.6? Blimey, i started with 6.0 around 2000 it was or something. I would rather upgrade this 5.6 into latest version(cross upgrade price applies to all previous version) i think you will be able to do more in Blender, which is free than in ancient 5.6

Mitja
01-15-2013, 07:46 AM
Hi all

I've managed to pick up a cheap copy of 5.6 still sealed on ebay, the company went into liquidation. I'm brand new to 3D modelling, animation etc and was hoping somebody knows a good place to find some tutorials that would still work with 5.6. My plan is to work with this version to learn what I'm doing and once I feel I'm making progress and to be blunt that my work is any good upgrade/buy the latest version.

I've seen a few books on ebay and amazon such as lightwave applied 5.6 so will pick those up but the more information and tutorials I can find the better.

Thanks.

My advice: don't.
It would be like learning something that's already gone. Drop 5.6 and upgrade, or learn some other free software in the meantime.
Modern software work with similar philosophy, I believe in 5.6 you won't find anything usable in modern software.
So it would be a waste of time and money (books on 5.6).

RebelHill
01-15-2013, 07:47 AM
LW took quite an overhaul/rewrite for v6... only place you're gonna find tuts that apply to 5.6 is likely back on ebay... and likely on VHS. Also... other than the very basic basics... you're not gonna learn much there that's gonna transfer forward at a later date particularly well either.

Hail
01-15-2013, 07:56 AM
Holy balloonnyy! 5.6? That would be a complete waste of your time and resources to learn as pointed out already.
Upgrade now or go blend yourself for free. :)

Lewis
01-15-2013, 08:08 AM
15 year sold SW, upgrade to ASAP and you are ready 11.x :).

MarcusM
01-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Here is good one, universal tut ;p https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37F7kZeyPE

I start with 5.6, long time ago ;]

erikals
01-15-2013, 08:23 AM
consider LW10 for $299...
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131154-Lightwave-9-5-10-%28full%29-licence-for-sale

Nicolas Jordan
01-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I agree with the others here. No doubt Lightwave 5.6 is capable of amazing feats but it would make your life way easier and make way more sense to upgrade the license to 11.x as it would largely be a waste of time to learn 5.6 these days. Lightwave has changed in many ways over the years.

digitaldoc
01-15-2013, 09:17 AM
If FREE is the operative word, for goodness sake get Blender which is free. Plenty of free instructional tutorials available as well.

Good luck to you!

rednova
01-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Please don't get mad with me guys, but I will differ.
I have lightwave 9.6 and 10 and look forward to always keep upgrading my lightwave and pc.
I also have a great in mint condition old computer ( p2 450mhz 256mb ram) which is superb for old
already installed lightwave 5.6
I still use lightwave 5.6 just for kicks and fun, and I do love it. Even though I will always upgrade,
I will forever keep using lw 5.6
The lw 5.6 runs super and is great for fun.You can always use lightwave 5.6 until you get the money to
upgrade to a newer lightwave.Lightwave 5.6 will be great for starters/get into 3d animation. But you will also
need some tutorial material. You can get these books for cheap on 'amazon'.Lightwave 3d applied(for 5.6)is good.
Other great books are 'inside lightwave' and 'lightwave power guide' by Dan ABlan (make sure is the lw 5.x version).
Have lots of fun learning lw on 5.6 !!! Then when you got the cash, upgrade to the latest lightwave.

3DGFXStudios
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Haha this thread made me smile and fall of my chair. ;) :D

Like said above: Upgrade to 11

Titus
01-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Modeler 5.6 and 11 are _almost_ the same, the changes came mainly for layout :/.

rednova
01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Dear friend:
I would also like to suggest a few videotape tutorials which will be superb to help you learn lightwave 5.6
Lightwave Lab 1 and 2 by Susan Ishida. (character modeling for head and body)
Lightwave character animation FX (book) by Doug Kelly.(how to animate the character)
The creative magic of Ron Thornton videotape series (A video apprenticeship)wich includes 4 tapes :
Spacecraft model design-spacecraft surfacing techniques-digital cinematography-cinematic visual effects.
Modeling and animating the human head (video)by Tareq.
Power modeling (video) by Ace miles.
Steamer (video)
Notes: Ron Thornton created the visual effects for babylon 5 -including the spaceships- (remember the babylon station ? )
Tareq modeled the 'shadows' characters for babylon 5. And the human heads for roughnecks animated starship troopers.
Susan Ishida created the head of Galactus for animated silver surfer.
If you can get these tutorials and study along with lightwave 5.6 you will get a great headstart into the world of 3d animation.
These tutorials are great and you will get much out of lightwave 5.6
You can always when later upgrade to the latest lightwave.
Even though I can always upgrade (and I do upgrade)...I kept my super great p2 working with lightwave 5.6
Lightwave 5.6 has something amazing I do like:which is Morph Gizmo for character animation, and the lite version of particle storm.
I also have a different plugin which does not come with lightwave called 'creature creator' which allows you the create great characters easy.
If you plan on using lightwave 5.6 there is also some cool stuff you can get which will run with lightwave 5.6
-the dino cd rom by Iride (a collection of great dinousaurs including the bones skeletons, ready to load and animate-including the Trex).
-light rom cd collection (great collection of professionally crafted lightwave objects)
-tutorvision cd (an interactive lw tutorial cd)
-keyframe magazines
-lightwave pro magazines
-newtekPro magazines
-newtecniques magazines
-video toaster user magazines.
-3d world and 3d artist magazines (which are still on sale, the other you can only get used)
If you get all these tutorials and study, your lightwave 5.6 will be great for starting on 3d animation.
You can always upgrade later. Lightwave 5.6 when combined with these tutorials, will be superb for learning.
LOve !!!

rednova
01-15-2013, 10:33 AM
The lightwave upgrade costs money...and the 5.6 version is already paid for.
If you get these tutorials... you can learn lots about lightwave, and you can always upgrade later.
Lightwave 5.6 combined with these tutorials will be amazing !!!

raymondtrace
01-15-2013, 11:10 AM
In the realm of 3D, I cannot understand any nostalgia for older software or hardware. The improved rendering speed alone makes the cost of a modern upgrade much cheaper than the time lost slugging through old software.

You probably have a parallel port dongle for that old LW. If your computer is old enough to have that port, you should not bother upgrading LW.

Celshader
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi all

Thanks.

LightWave Applied, 5.6 is a good start because it includes the keyboard shortcuts for most of the tutorials.

Another good source would be the Dave Jerrard tutorials from NewTekniques magazine. Here are some of them

"Trees - It's a Breeze"
http://www.animationartist.com/2000/Tutorials/LWTrees/lwtrees.html

"The Amazing Spinning Light Trick"
http://members.shaw.ca/phroggrafix/tutorials/spinning/spinning.html

"Pining Away"
http://members.shaw.ca/phroggrafix/tutorials/trees/Pines.html

jasonwestmas
01-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Blender is better than 5.6 :). Definitely try LW11, the rendering is nice.

Areyos Alektor
01-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Do not listen to this band of grumpy old man :D

You can look here:
http://members.Shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/main_menu.htm

"Lightwave Applied 5.6" is a very good book. But also think to read the manual.

Looking for "The Lightwave Book", a small wonder. It's also the old magazines.

As there is no UV Map, use the Morph target.

There are still good things in it : Modeler, Steamer, HyperVoxels 2, etc...

And then we can open the V5.6 scenes and objects in the V11.

erikals
01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
modeling in 5.6 is still alright, i have a few videos here, some should still be relevant.
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst?feature=mhee

jeric_synergy
01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Hey, I >>HAVE<< a bunch of 5.6 era tutorials for sale, on VHS! (Seriously, I do.)

I'd be happy to offer them at a 'reasonable' price! ;)

Modeler is especially unchanged from that era....

DigitalSorcery8
01-15-2013, 07:15 PM
Do not listen to this band of grumpy old man :D

Agreed! :)

You could move over to the free Blender instead of learning LW5.6, but don't expect to come back easily into LW11 or 12 if you do. Lightwave is STILL two separate apps and the others - like Blender - are not. LW5.6 has ALLOT more in common with LW11 than Blender does. I still do much arch-viz modeling in 5.6 since we've got lots of old LScript plugins that don't work with later versions of LW. SO we've had 5.6 installed here since... it came out. ;) Keep in mind that LW5.6 doesn't do UV's - LW6 on up does.

As previously mentioned, Modeler has barely changed at all. Layout has quite a bit. Everything we create in Modeler 5.6 ends up in 9.6 Layout.

LW5.6 is VERY stable and I've rarely had a crash in years. Of course... if you CAN afford it, I would upgrade to the latest version. Newtek does have one of the BEST upgrade policies in the industry - you can upgrade from ANY version for the same price.

Good Luck!

erikals
01-15-2013, 07:19 PM
"still do much arch-viz modeling in 5.6 since wev'e got lots of old LScript plugins that don't work with later versions of LW"

hey there, may i ask which ones? (curiosity)

geo_n
01-15-2013, 07:31 PM
"still do much arch-viz modeling in 5.6 since wev'e got lots of old LScript plugins that don't work with later versions of LW"

Megalodon's secret stash of lscripts tailor made for archiviz only work in lw 5.6. I wonder if it will be available for public since we're not competing for the same clients anyway. Offer it as opensource and someone could recompile them to work on lw 11. :D

erikals
01-15-2013, 07:50 PM
i think he is gone from the LW forums though... (?)

geo_n
01-15-2013, 08:29 PM
DigitalSorcery8 is Megalodon.

Hail
01-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Looks like megalodon's cover has been blown :D

Azraelle
01-16-2013, 03:16 AM
Wow wasnt expecting so many responses. Thank you everyone that replied its all been very helpful.

To answer some of the points brought up I'm using 5.6 for a few reasons one being cost and yes I know blender is free but dispite all the changes an older version of LW should have more in common with the current LW than Blender. Another point, again re cost, is I have a fairly decent system in the house but as a lot of my free time for learning will be on the commute to and from work and on my lunch I am using an old netbook.

So not only will I be raising funds to upgrade LW but also my system as well.

The links provided have been really helpful so thanks again. I've tracked down most of the books mentioned though the VHS are proving difficult.

On that note jeric_synergy I'll drop you a message about the ones you have.

Keep the info coming even if its not beginners stuff if I can find the info I'd rather have it all ready ahead of time than have big gaps in my learning while I track stuff down.

kyuzo
01-16-2013, 05:37 AM
Hi Azraelle,

I have some old Lightwave books I haven't gotten round to putting on ebay yet. I have Dan Ablan's Inside Lightwave 5, 6 and seven. They're all in great condition with the discs. If you want any of these for a knockdown price give me a shout.

Derek

jeric_synergy
01-16-2013, 01:23 PM
I already PM'd Azraelle about the (NTSC) VHSs I have, and would love to sell, but I think kyuzo scooped me on getting rid of my (virtually complete!) collection of Dan Ablan's works. ;)

pauland
01-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Didn't 5.6 still use a parallel dongle?

Azraelle
01-16-2013, 03:57 PM
It does but in the next few days I have a parallel to USB cable arriving

bobakabob
01-16-2013, 04:16 PM
Lightwave 5.6, the glory days! A superior 3D program in its day and still capable of greatness but you should definitely upgrade. Download the trial version of LW 11 and try out VPR.

Wade
01-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Lightwave 5.6, the glory days! A superior 3D program in its day and still capable of greatness but you should definitely upgrade. Download the trial version of LW 11 and try out VPR.

Yes you should down load 11.03 now and get to use it for the 60 days or so. By that time 11.5 will be out and you just might to get to try it out as well. So you could get some 4 months or more of trying out 11.x. :) Does the program still offer the demo or discovery mode? If so you have all kinds of time to plaly with and learn LW.

DAMAKERS
01-16-2013, 06:47 PM
Yes you should down load 11.03 now and get to use it for the 60 days or so. By that time 11.5 will be out and you just might to get to try it out as well. So you could get some 4 months or more of trying out 11.x. :) Does the program still offer the demo or discovery mode? If so you have all kinds of time to plaly with and learn LW.
Was about to say the same, also u can use 5.6 to familiarize with the UI, the old texture shader, some basics of modeler, and when u get use to it, try the 60 days 11.x to get up ur learning and get the feel to upgrade.
...and welcome to the LW comunity, cheers!

dwburman
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
It does but in the next few days I have a parallel to USB cable arriving

Let us know if that works. I have a license of DFX+ I wouldn't mind using, but it's on a parallel port dongle. I think most of those conversion cables are designed to let you use printers and might not work for all parallel port devices.

As for learning, I'd say focus more on the modeling side since so much has changed in layout. There have been some big changes in modeling since then (I don't think subdivision surfaces were in 5.6), but the principles you learn to make a spline cage or the base object used with metaform plus are used in SubD mode... it's just not realtime and changeable. Hard surface modeling should be pretty similar for the most part. Making a box and beveling out the polygons works the same AFAIK. :)

Celshader
01-17-2013, 12:31 PM
As for learning, I'd say focus more on the modeling side since so much has changed in layout. There have been some big changes in modeling since then (I don't think subdivision surfaces were in 5.6), but the principles you learn to make a spline cage or the base object used with metaform plus are used in SubD mode... it's just not realtime and changeable. Hard surface modeling should be pretty similar for the most part. Making a box and beveling out the polygons works the same AFAIK. :)

SubD modeling was introduced in LightWave 5.0, so Azraelle can still learn SubD modeling in 5.6 Modeler. You're thinking of direct support for SubDs in Layout, which did not happen until LightWave 6.0. I think everyone's collectively forgotten the 5.6 workaround of Metamation. :D

jeric_synergy
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
I think everyone's collectively forgotten the 5.6 workaround of Metamation. :D
Forgot, suppressed: tomato, tomahto. ;)

dwburman
01-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks for the clarification, Jen. :) It's been a long time since I used 5.6 :)

Areyos Alektor
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
The name is not SubPatch but MetaNurbs, that the trick ;)

Megalodon2.0
01-18-2013, 07:53 PM

Proprietary plugins. My old boss created them - as geo states below.

Megalodon's secret stash of lscripts tailor made for archiviz only work in lw 5.6. I wonder if it will be available for public since we're not competing for the same clients anyway. Offer it as opensource and someone could recompile them to work on lw 11. :D
Couldn't do it if I wanted to. I don't own them, I just own the rights to use them. And... I gave my old boss my word that I would not pass them around. We tried to get him to sell two packages - LW CAD Interior and Exterior. While LWCAD is a GREAT set of tools, the ones my old boss created are still far better for creating standard single family homes. I had actually asked in the LScript forum years ago about updating them, but never got any serious replies. Hopefully won't be using them too much longer though. As it stands now... I will hopefully be moving on to our own animated show and be hiring (most likely) LW people from this forum. ;)

shrox
01-22-2013, 11:55 AM
Retro waver!

Azraelle
01-24-2013, 11:41 AM
As an update the usb to parallel cable idea does not work. Windows thinks its a printer.

jeric_synergy
01-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Huh. I have a whole parallel CARD, and that works great for the dongle (and the printer).

raymondtrace
01-24-2013, 12:27 PM
I'm not entirely surprised that the usb-parallel adapter fails. Have you installed the sentinel dongle drivers?

Newtek offers (or offered) an inexpensive parallel to usb dongle swap but I do not know if such would work on this old version. I swapped during a 7.5 license. Contact Newtek customer service.

You might also be able to buy a parallel card to jam in your computer.

Not promoting this vendor... just noting such exists:
http://www.softio.com/pcie_pci_express_printer_parallel_port_card_ic0652 kb.htm

jeric_synergy
01-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Parallel cards ARE cheap, esp if you go to a PC recycle shop.

DrStrik9
01-24-2013, 01:13 PM
Wow, I started with LW 5.2 - on Mac - a painful experience in many ways. Then by 5.6, we moved to an ALPHA with PVR. Hahahahahahaaaaaaaa Fun times.

Yes, I am that old. :)

jeric_synergy
01-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Hey, I had an Alpha+PVR too! But I started on Videoscape, so I win.

Azraelle
01-24-2013, 02:40 PM
well I've emailed Newtek to see if it can be swapped for a USB version.

prometheus
01-25-2013, 08:23 AM
forget about lw 5. and check free stuff as blender instead, that will be a favour youré doing yourself.
if youre serious and want to be taken serious applying for jobs..it will be akward saying, ahh.worked on lw 5

if youre just fooling around you could as well work with blender or get some of the best tools..like houdini apprentice which is a free version with almost all functions except for watermark and render size. both of those tools would give you more respect too if applying or looking for jobs.

You could also fool around with lightwave 11.03 for whole 60 days, and it seems they have listen to what I ranted about regarding expanding trial days..
The trial is free..but you have to set up a free account and register, then you can download and use it for 60 days.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/try/

Michael

50one
01-25-2013, 08:37 AM
forget about lw 5. and check free stuff as blender instead, that will be a favour youré doing yourself.
if youre serious and want to be taken serious applying for jobs..it will be akward saying, ahh.worked on lw 5

if youre just fooling around you could as well work with blender or get some of the best tools..like houdini apprentice which is a free version with almost all functions except for watermark and render size. both of those tools would give you more respect too if applying or looking for jobs.

You could also fool around with lightwave 11.03 for whole 60 days, and it seems they have listen to what I ranted about regarding expanding trial days..
The trial is free..but you have to set up a free account and register, then you can download and use it for 60 days.
https://www.lightwave3d.com/try/

Michael

Agree in 100% with the above and repeat myself again

...I think you will be able to do more in Blender, which is free than in ancient 5.6

Modifiers - LW: NO / Blender: YES
Editable text tool LW:NO Blender: YES
Hair - LW5.6 NO / Blender: YES
Dynamics: LW5.6: NO / Blender: YES

Not to mention, compositing, sculpting, fluids,CA tools, re-topology....

I see no reason why you would want to do this to yourself and use 5.6.

erikals
01-25-2013, 08:52 AM
well, Modeler tools are ok in LW5.6...

so he could start with that...

maybe even mix it with the free Sculptris
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/videos?query=sculptris

you might wanna model in Modeler, UV map and Animate in Blender...

50one
01-25-2013, 09:09 AM
well, Modeler tools are ok in LW5.6...

so he could start with that...

maybe even mix it with the free Sculptris
http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/videos?query=sculptris

you might wanna model in Modeler, UV map and Animate in Blender...

...ah yes, when I think Lightwave it's always the Layout for me;)

prospector
01-25-2013, 12:44 PM
I still use 5.6..because I HAVE to...
Most modeling is quite the same so learning tools in 5.6 is pretty much same as 11
Learning gui is almost exactly same cept for newer tools

But I HAVE to because of the Text tool
5.6 set up auto quaded text faces for making neon lettering (like Motel open..no vacancies) type lettering....still 11 doesn't or I haven't seen a way...

prospector
01-25-2013, 12:47 PM

erikals
01-25-2013, 01:11 PM
auto quaded text faces?

not sure i understand, have a screengrab?

Waves of light
01-25-2013, 01:21 PM
Yer, what Erikals said. Would like to see what you mean and also why it is LW9.6-11 doesn't do it.

khan973
01-25-2013, 05:42 PM
This is why I love our community, comebody can come and ask questions about LW 5.6 and we still have 4 pages of helping comments :)

prometheus
01-26-2013, 02:00 AM
I still use 5.6..because I HAVE to...
Most modeling is quite the same so learning tools in 5.6 is pretty much same as 11
Learning gui is almost exactly same cept for newer tools

But I HAVE to because of the Text tool
5.6 set up auto quaded text faces for making neon lettering (like Motel open..no vacancies) type lettering....still 11 doesn't or I haven't seen a way...

I guess you mean text polys in quad divisions suitable for subpatching etc?

Didn´t know that existed in such case, would be nice to have.

Michael

prospector
01-26-2013, 04:30 PM

Exactly

the text face isn't 1 poly like now....it use to Quad the face and then when you extrude, you have a perfect neon tube sign when subdivided.
But that was dropped when the stopped using that text tool.
It used ANY font you had on your system.

prometheus
01-27-2013, 02:23 AM

Exactly

the text face isn't 1 poly like now....it use to Quad the face and then when you extrude, you have a perfect neon tube sign when subdivided.
But that was dropped when the stopped using that text tool.
It used ANY font you had on your system.

Got to get me a copy of 5.6 then, just for that:)

would be nice if there was a plugin around for that.

Michael

Waves of light
01-27-2013, 05:02 AM
Why the heck was that feature removed I wonder? So instead of having to cut your 1 poly character, it quads it, so just adding a couple of edge loops and extruding give nice 3D text.

gravin
01-27-2013, 05:31 AM
I wonder if this is hiding in the legacy plugins folder?

erikals
01-27-2013, 05:43 AM
hola, can someone post a screengrab, i'm curious to what it looks like.

prospector
01-28-2013, 01:16 AM
"Why the heck was that feature removed I wonder?"
I was told when I "complained" during the 7-8 cycle that it was developed by someone who left at the LW6 bru-ha-ha

Hail
01-28-2013, 03:31 AM
Whoa.. so many old timers:D
Now I feel like the biggest loser here, having started with 8.0 :P

erikals
01-28-2013, 04:56 AM
hola, can someone post a screengrab, i'm curious to what it looks like.

njet...?
anyway, here is a couple of LW11 methods >

http://youtu.be/uiVnZeo8ndg

prospector
01-28-2013, 02:00 PM
:cry:
Was just going to show it but 5.6 now not working !!!!
I forgot 1 thing earlier and sent for my USB key and 5.6 needs the parallel port key to work which I sent back to be replaced :cursin::cursin:

Hmmm..I thought I read somewhere that now LW doesn't need a key ?
Maby I can return this USB and get my parallel key back...I NEED IT !!!

As for erikals vid.
That IS a way to make a quaded? faced font
BUT
There can be no poly lines anywhere IN the face as you need max of 4 quads around letter to make it look like a neon tube when subdivided or it has flat spots from so many quads.

The ONLY way I know to do it without 5.6 text tool is to make whatever word I need to be Neon(ed) is to make it a background object and start building the font into quads in foreground, following letters around untill word is done..This becomes VERY tedious depending on font or amount of letters in word (like Budweiser )...well not many fonts to choose from on forum but like a handwriting font or any of the thousands of font types available for the PC..
you know what I mean

Now...my dongle problem.......call newtek I think

It has to look like this (the rear is normal..the front is what 5.6 text tool does automattically but gets them finer to follow the curves better

Waves of light
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Prospector, excuse my ignorance (post LW 7 user here) but can you run 5.6 in discovery mode, I.e without the dongle?

jeric_synergy
01-28-2013, 02:10 PM
"Quad the face".... hmmm. How would one do that FAST now?

Waves of light
01-28-2013, 02:19 PM
"Quad the face".... hmmm. How would one do that FAST now?
Slowly. There's a wonderful tut/breakdown somewhere re. Sub-d text and where best to place the cuts... Will try to track it down.

prospector
01-28-2013, 02:23 PM
Prospector, excuse my ignorance (post LW 7 user here) but can you run 5.6 in discovery mode, I.e without the dongle?
Just comes up..'Can't find dongle' and shuts down
I can't even find anything on 5.6 anymore as I thought that maby there was an update (c,d,e,f, or whatever letter it ended at) that would fix that problem...all I have is the original install disk.

Can't even find a way in Adobe illustrator to make fonts into squares and import as EPS file and do it that way.

Phil
01-28-2013, 02:24 PM
:cry:
Was just going to show it but 5.6 now not working !!!!
I forgot 1 thing earlier and sent for my USB key and 5.6 needs the parallel port key to work which I sent back to be replaced :cursin::cursin:

5.6 works fine here with my USB dongle, as do 4.0 and 5.0. Assuming that it's just a license key mismatch, NT CS can generate a key for 5.5+ with your new dongle.

EDIT: Are both sets of drivers installed? Perhaps you need to reinstall the drivers and ensure both Parallel and USB are selected. This was also mandatory for the Worley plugins as I recall, even though USB dongles were common - something about those plugins required that the parallel drivers also be installed.

jeric_synergy
01-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Slowly. There's a wonderful tut/breakdown somewhere re. Sub-d text and where best to place the cuts... Will try to track it down.
I watched one just this morning: seemed painful and laborious.

I'm surprised it was even possible: that'd be a very smart routine if it could 'quad' everything in a font.

prospector
01-28-2013, 02:40 PM
EDIT: Are both sets of drivers installed? Perhaps you need to reinstall the drivers and ensure both Parallel and USB are selected.
Never tried that as nothing else I have uses that port so never installed those drivers.

Will check that and also new license key just in case.
Thanks for the point in that direction.

erikals
01-29-2013, 01:09 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=110748&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1359408075

nice, but how would it go about the corners... hmm, must have screengrab \:°

dwburman
01-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Just comes up..'Can't find dongle' and shuts down
I can't even find anything on 5.6 anymore as I thought that maby there was an update (c,d,e,f, or whatever letter it ended at) that would fix that problem...all I have is the original install disk.

Can't even find a way in Adobe illustrator to make fonts into squares and import as EPS file and do it that way.

Look here:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/Patches/LightWave_Windows/lw56/

prospector
01-29-2013, 10:42 AM
"
Newtek offers (or offered) an inexpensive parallel to usb dongle swap but I do not know if such would work on this old version"

That's when I switched

Azraelle
02-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Well I've had two responses so far both saying its the wrong department and giving me another email address.

nickdigital
02-02-2013, 12:33 AM
Well I've had two responses so far both saying its the wrong department and giving me another email address.

You've used the contact info here?
https://www.lightwave3d.com/support/

Azraelle
02-08-2013, 06:08 AM
quick update. Newtek are sending me out a replacement USB dongle just waiting for them to get me a shipping quote.

Thanks everyone for the help and the tutorial links

zapper1998
02-09-2013, 07:09 AM
Hey I stilll have the LW 5
wow
wonder if it works on Windows 7
hehee
:)

Azraelle
02-09-2013, 08:23 AM
It does. My netbook has windows 7 and newtek confirmed it would work fine

m4a2000
02-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Don't feel bad... I'm going from LW 8.6 to LW 11.5.

lwanmtr
02-14-2013, 04:24 PM
IMO...if Lightwave is your chosen path, then starting on 5.6 is fine since you will get used to the LW workflow with it. But of course, you will definately want to get 11.5 asap cause there;s alotta nifty stuff in it :)

Azraelle
02-21-2013, 06:59 AM
hello again all...... sorry for another question.

USB dongle arrived so everything is now fully installed and I have the 14 days to fully register. I'm going to call Newtek once they open, time difference as I'm in the UK but just wondered how I register. I registered online and clicked the register product button but it seems to be geared toards more recent versions which give you a serial number the first time you start it up.

5.6 gave me a temp key which the website doesnt recognise and theres the hardware serial which I tried for the sake of it and didnt work either.

Is an international call, with hopefully a very short wait time, really the only way to register or am I missing something really obvious. Such as a button within LW that shows the serial or a text file buried somewhere in the LW directory.

raymondtrace
02-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I recall getting license keys via email. Try that before wasting a costly international call.

jeric_synergy
02-21-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm amazed at the 'legs' this thread has.....

I'll be selling a bunch of old LW VHS (NTSC) tapes soon, perhaps I should post here.... ;)

lwanmtr
02-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Send them an email. They are very helpful at getting you up and running.

Thomas Helzle
02-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I could offer the original Shave and a Haircut Parallel Dongle and some of the old binaries.
I keep it as a reminder on how wrong something can go ;-)

But I would really update to LW 6, that is when I started to like it.

Cheers,

Tom

erikals
02-22-2013, 12:38 PM
as for Shave and a Haircut,
same for Cinema4D, but it wasn't Cinema4D's fault, leaving users not too happy with Joe Alter.

so, not sure if it would've been all stars and stripes if it continued.
(just saying, what you think you would have is not always what you would get...)

Thomas Helzle
02-22-2013, 01:09 PM
No, it was 100% Joe Alters fault, all of it.
And I also don't think that he actually was/is up to it from all I've seen and heard.
One beta broke what the previous fixed.
Jeeez what a mess that was ;-)
shudder...

jeric_synergy
02-22-2013, 01:27 PM
Yeahhhhhh, I get the impression that Joe A. is not the easiest fellow to get along with.

jeric_synergy
02-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Hey, 5.6'rs, could someone please generate "eagleinabarrel.lwo" and post it here?

I'll make it into a primitive for use with LW11.5.

lwanmtr
02-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Lol