PDA

View Full Version : Light rendering issues in LW 11.1

Animapper
01-13-2013, 05:01 PM
Hey folks,

I have a scene I'm animating that has a light tree, like in a concert setting and I'm having trouble with the spotlights in LW 11.1.

I make a spotlight and cut the cone down to 4 degrees, add the volumetric properties and color and it looks as hoped. If I clone it or even create a new spotlight they show up in in Viper but not in my test renders. I'm using perspective camera but nothing special. It's strange to see one show up perfect but none of the others. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Phil
01-13-2013, 07:10 PM
11.0.1 is not the latest version. I'd suggest updating to 11.0.2 (11.0.3 will give you dongleless licensing on supported operating systems). A lot of bugs got fixed in each update. Unless you meant 10.1?

Sensei
01-14-2013, 06:01 AM
In Viper? You mean VPR?

Better attach scene, so we can check it..

Animapper
01-14-2013, 06:33 AM
I should have said version 11.03

Here's the scene file. I'll experiment today with just the lights and a base plane but this is really strange. I got two of the pink lights to render but none of the other. And yes, VPR is what I meant, slip from the old days! In VPR everything looks as it should.110378

Animapper
01-14-2013, 06:47 AM
I should say that this problem happened in version 10.xxx as well.

kolby
01-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Works well here.

Animapper
01-14-2013, 06:56 AM
Works well here.

Here's my render. Only two of my spot lights are rendering. That's what is so confusing.

jwiede
01-14-2013, 06:58 AM
All lights show up in both VPR & F9 render here.

Scene complains repeatedly about a missing stage obj, and a missing "mountain&stars.jpg" at load time though, so it could be something related to any of the missing stage items or the missing image. In case they are, please package scene and missing content into archive and re-upload?

However, at this point I'd guess it's probably something broken in your configs, and clearing them is probably the next best thing to try. Unfortunately, LW seems more prone to corrupting its configs of late, hopefully something Newtek will fix (or at least give us a better way to address than current "delete and build again from scratch") in 11.5.

Danner
01-14-2013, 07:07 AM
If any weirdness appears at render time, my first reaction is to clean up the geometry. Look for unconected points, triangulate ngons, merge all points in the same space, unify polygons, and delete two point polygons (lines).

Animapper
01-14-2013, 07:21 AM
All lights show up in both VPR & F9 render here.

Scene complains repeatedly about a missing stage obj, and a missing "mountain&stars.jpg" at load time though, so it could be something related to any of the missing stage items or the missing image. In case they are, please package scene and missing content into archive and re-upload?

That is simply a background jpg for the scene and a background image for the stage screen - neither have anything to do with the model so that isn't part of the problem I'm afraid.

- - - Updated - - -

However, at this point I'd guess it's probably something broken in your configs, and clearing them is probably the next best thing to try. Unfortunately, LW seems more prone to corrupting its configs of late, hopefully something Newtek will fix (or at least give us a better way to address than current "delete and build again from scratch") in 11.5.

What's the best way to blow out config files?

Animapper
01-14-2013, 07:22 AM
If any weirdness appears at render time, my first reaction is to clean up the geometry. Look for unconected points, triangulate ngons, merge all points in the same space, unify polygons, and delete two point polygons (lines).

Thanks Danner. The geometry appears to be fine and others are getting all spotlights to render. Were you able to get an F9 render?

Marcia
01-14-2013, 01:57 PM
Edit: Suggestion removed. Too simple and not intended to insult OP's intelligence, but may have come across wrong.

Animapper
01-15-2013, 06:08 AM
Well after many hours of tweeking and starting new projects I found the culprits. It seems that when you place a spotlight above an object and set the cone base to start right outside the film and barndoors polygons, the renderer sees objects in the way from the source point. Even the smallest rail objects can cause the light to not show up. I thought it would bounce off at least but it literally kills the light if you get anything in the way between the point of origen and cone base.

I excluded about 200 objects that make up the lights and truss system and all is well. That took forever. Is there anyway to deal with mass groups of objects to exclude them other than the one by one method in light properties/objects?

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm wondering for those who had the lights show up in rendering when I didn't, what could have been set for you to see them without doing what I had to do? Hmmmm...