PDA

View Full Version : Noob warning: How to model / texture walls with bricks going around the edge ?

madno
01-13-2013, 01:34 AM
Hi,
I want to model a room and like to "brick" texture the walls with bump / displacement map.
But I don't see an obvious way to make the textured bricks look right in the corners. I hope the screen shots explain it. Do you know a tutorial describing a way to solve this idea?
First image is real brick geometry, second image is a test with textures (only bump there so far, no displacement).
110369 110372

RebelHill
01-13-2013, 02:16 AM
If all you're wanting is the "intersection" of one side into the other, then you need geo to do it.. either modeled, or displaced. Bump alone cant do it.

Sensei
01-13-2013, 03:55 AM
Do you see that bump mapping is visible on bricks that are directly in sun light?

The cheapest idea is to give some not intensive light to the scene.

I have made HeadLight plugin for this purpose
http://www.trueart.pl
which is adding light to camera in the same position and direction as camera.

Use sun light area/dome, adjust angle,
then add HeadLight, change to area/dome too, set intensity to 5-10%. Switch off shadow casting and specularity.

Bump mapped bricks in the corners should receive illusion of 3d.

madno
01-13-2013, 05:52 AM
Hi Sensei,
thanks for your input. Your headlight sounds interesting. I'll try that anyway. But I was to unspecific with my initial question. I am trying to make the model for another software. That one does support micro displacement but no LW plugins. I know, to get the 3D effect in the rooms edge, I either need real geometry or displaced geometry. But, francly speaking, I am unsure how to best make the displacement map. I tried to make one UV for both walls. But then the continuous map does of course look wrong, when it bends at the edge. So I thought, I need two maps, one for each wall. And there is my problem. I don't know a convenient way to make those maps, so that they fit to each other in the walls edges. The only solution that came to my mind, was to do it pixel by pixel with a graphics program. I just thought somebody here knows a better way.

RebelHill
01-13-2013, 06:01 AM
If you've got two painted/photo maps that have to have their seams lined up... you gotta do it manually. No other choice.

Sensei
01-13-2013, 06:03 AM
I've made TrueBump
http://truebump.trueart.eu
which is converting bump mapping to real geometry in Modeler.

But of course you will end up with very dense mesh.. The better quality the more polygons.

madno
01-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Thanks guys,
now I now where to start.

JoePoe
01-14-2013, 09:24 PM
Well..... you did say micro displacement!!
This is ALL displacement.... the brick, the subtle texture on the brick faces, as well as the mortar texture.
I used the "bricks" procedural along with some other noise on two separate wall objects.
In the corner I just adjusted the vertical and horizontal positions of the brick pattern to get the right offset.
(note: to get the (way overboard) extra texture stuff, I have the subD render output set to 40. Massive poly count for what it is.)

Sensei and RH..... I know I know.... legacy layers. I feel like I'm letting you guys down. I can't seem to make friends with the nodes. I try, really I do. :bangwall:

jeric_synergy
01-14-2013, 10:33 PM
watch out Joe: they'll cast you into The Outer Darkness for reverting to Layers. ;)

allabulle
01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
JoePoe, I can't recommend enough RebelHill's tutorials on nodes. If you actually want to learn nodes, that is.

jeric_synergy
01-15-2013, 12:34 PM
+1 on RH's node tutorials. Clarified many things for me.

JoePoe
01-16-2013, 10:17 PM
You can have ONE UV map.
Use the morph target technique.
Create morph, cut, and paste back in one arm of the wall. rotate it to be in same axis as the other. Make your UV.
Your walls will be separate boxes on the UV! Adjust them on the map as you wish in order to make image adjustment in Pshop easy. Delete morph/merge back together.
(BTW, because you want micro displacement.....You are going to have to a) really REALLY subdivide the mesh in modeler, or B) sub D it and increase the subpatch render level in layout.
If B, you will need a couple of control edges to keep the corner sharp, which will warp the image on the model. Just drag those lines of points over a bit on the UV (with test pattern) until it looks right.)
Take map into PShop, and paint away.

Use the map on bump channel, then in object properties>Deform check use bump and designate a distance.

(second image is the UV in Modeler showing the separated walls.....image has been grayed back so you can see.)

JoePoe
01-16-2013, 10:27 PM
Oh, and yes I need to check out RH's node set.
He gave one out out as an example awhile ago. I got lost on the graphs straight out of the gate. (;D.... I know, right!)
And those were designed to DE-mystify. I ain't too bright....
Anyway, I should try again.