PDA

View Full Version : ver 5.6 Mac to 11.x pc

arma3d
01-12-2013, 07:08 PM
I'm thinking of doing the upgrade as stated above.

Will there be any problems ?, what do I need to do, like sending you the 5.6 dongle ?

Thanx

Phil
01-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Yes, that dongle will very likely need to be exchanged, although 11.0.3 and later don't require a dongle for use on any supported OS X or Windows Vista (or later) system.

That said, I'd still be tempted to get it exchanged if you can - Mac dongles used Eve3 back then, from what I know, and the PC dongles were always Sentinel hardware. Eve3 isn't usable on Windows, and also is unsupported for 64-bit operation on Mac (should you ever return to that platform). If you ever need the dongle, having one that is supported would be a good thing. The exchange is, I think, free if you order it as part of the upgrade process.

arma3d
01-12-2013, 09:51 PM
I still have a working G4. A lot of software on it I don't want (and can't afford) to buy including SoundEdit 16, and I'd like to be able to use 5.6, if only for sentimental reasons, I have a friend who has LW 9 something and when I tried to port over my scene files the parenting wasn't preserved. It was useful to have the 5.6 loaded so I could re-parent stuff.

Thank you.

Phil
01-12-2013, 09:57 PM
You are aware that LW licenses and software are platform neutral, I hope. Assuming that you aren't dependent on 3rd party plugins that are long-since defunct, you can install 5.6 on Windows and run it with the replacement dongle. I've done this myself - I replaced my old Duo dongle with an UltraPro and it runs LW 4, 5 and 5.6 without issue under Windows 7 x64 in a virtual machine and on a cheapo generic HP piece of junk laptop. LW 5.6's license generator (within NT) is on a different machine/server to the rest of the LW licensing system, and it seemed that they had to boot it up especially, so you may need to call or e-mail them and ensure that they do the right thing.

If you need to run 5.6 specifically on the G4 for 3rd party reasons, I'm not sure whether it will work with the Duo dongle. Customer service might be able to advise.

Rayek
01-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Really nice that Newtek is one of the few companies that allows for an update from a very old version to the newest. Cudos.

BeeVee
01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Not only that, but the price is the same no matter which version you are upgrading from unlike certain other companies... *cough*

B

Rayek
01-14-2013, 11:54 AM
http://forums.newtek.com/images/smilies/brians/oye.gif I know - lamenting the fact that my incredibly expensive C4d 7 and v8.5 upgrades plus all modules (over $6000) is now worth zilch. Newtek allowed me to upgrade my v7 license to v8, and then to v9.6 for almost nothing.