PDA

View Full Version : Making a bed

ige
01-11-2013, 06:17 AM
A friend is using Cinema 4D and showed me this bedroom modelling tutorial:

http://greyscalegorilla.com/blog/2012/12/how-to-model-and-render-a-realistic-bedroom-in-cinema-4d-part-1/

When he makes the blanket, he use collision to form it on to the bed. Can this be done in LW or is it a smarter way to do it - to form fabric/sheets to an other object?

Danner
01-11-2013, 06:32 AM
I is doable, I've done it before, but it's not a very elegant solution. The calculations are slow and the settings are very easy to screw up. LW 11.5 will come with bullet cloth dynamics, it should be a breeze with that.

Ryste3d
01-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Not easy to do in lightwave so we use this:

http://www.marvelousdesigner.com/

Marcia
01-11-2013, 09:47 AM
If you don't need to animate it and don't want to spend money, you could try manipulating the sheets in Sculptris, a free app from Pixologic. No comparison to Marvelous Designer (or Zbrush), but still a useful tool.

Titus
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
Yes, it's doable. I did this a long time ago:

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3d-model-restaurant-tablecloth-table/376241

ige
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Can CLOTH FX be used?

prometheus
01-12-2013, 08:18 AM
Can CLOTH FX be used?

yest you can use cloth fx for it, I would recomend using a proxy object similar in shape and size to the bed area, so dont mess with the whole bed.
then save out the simulated cloth object with save transformed, you can then further tweak and correct the model in modeler.

You could also wait a month our so to see how LW 11.5 works with itīs new bullet cloth.

otherwise..Marvelous designer has good reputation, but that is extra cost etc.

check all lw tutorials ..Proton has some stuff made for lw training..search this interface on clothfx
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/WV_LightwaveTraining.html

I would probably recommend you to create very simple objects like a sphere and test a flat grid plane to cover the sphere to understand first.
hereīs cloth f to conform to a microphone shape.
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/dl_link.html?mic.mov

I would probably recommend you to create very simple objects like a sphere and test a flat grid plane to cover the sphere to understand cloth fx first.
Michaael

erikals
01-13-2013, 02:26 AM
I would probably recommend you to create very simple objects like a sphere and test a flat grid plane to cover the sphere to understand first.
hereīs cloth f to conform to a microphone shape.
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movies/w3dw/dl_link.html?mic.mov

I would probably recommend you to create very simple objects like a sphere and test a flat grid plane to cover the sphere to understand cloth fx first.
Michael

yes, check that vid.
then save transformed in Layout, bring it into Modeler, and add a thickness to it.

LW ClothFX should be quite alright for this.

ige
01-13-2013, 03:50 PM
I can not open this ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...k.html?mic.mov. I hear the voice, but no video. Have tried both Divx and Win Media Player. Any solutions?

prometheus
01-14-2013, 06:44 AM
I can not open this ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...k.html?mic.mov. I hear the voice, but no video. Have tried both Divx and Win Media Player. Any solutions?

donīt try to view it directly, download it, and download vlc mediaplayer which handles mov quite well, or for instant slider feedback while watching tutorials...get apple quicktime free version.

Michael

Danner
01-14-2013, 07:01 AM
Some tutorials on ftp.newtek.com require the codec used by Camtasia.
http://www.techsmith.com/download.html (TSCC DECODER)

Search for lightwave cloth in youtube, a few tuts there too.

ige
01-14-2013, 04:24 PM
It worked. Thanks a lot.

ige
01-15-2013, 04:47 AM
I follow the Mic-Mesh tutorial as you suggested, Prometheus. But when he comes to "slim" the wire mesh, he use a tool in Modify/Translate: Point Normal Move.
I'm using LW10 and that tool is missing. Can I find it somewhere or is there another way to do it?

prometheus
01-15-2013, 05:18 AM
I follow the Mic-Mesh tutorial as you suggested, Prometheus. But when he comes to "slim" the wire mesh, he use a tool in Modify/Translate: Point Normal Move.
I'm using LW10 and that tool is missing. Can I find it somewhere or is there another way to do it?

should be there, but probably hidden under modify/translate/more
so check that more button and you will find more tools including point normal move.

You can edit your menus and lift it out so you have direct acess to it

Michael

ige
01-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Hej. Jeg finner det ikke under Modify/Translate/More ...

erikals
01-15-2013, 06:18 PM
if nowhere to find, try this >

press Alt+F10
click search
type "Point Normal Move"
click find

or reload default setup under Alt+F10

prometheus
01-15-2013, 06:20 PM
Hej. Jeg finner det ikke under Modify/Translate/More ...

check my image, try and find it by searching the menu, go to edit/edit menu, and search for point normal move.
If it doesnīt find anything, got to edit plugins and do a scan of your support/plugins/model folder.
Cant find the single plugin myself..so it is probably named something else or part of a model pack plugin tool.

Michael

ige
01-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Hei. I have done all the searching. It's not there. Maybe it is n't supplied with LW10 ......?

prometheus
01-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Hei. I have done all the searching. It's not there. Maybe it is n't supplied with LW10 ......?

I think it was there in lw 9 already, 10, yes and up.

did you scan your folder with edit plugins,scan folders?

Michael

ige
01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Yes. Boris Goreta says he had same problem couldn't find it in any folder. But he reinstalled and there it was. To do that I 'll have to uninstall LW10 complete den reinstall ?

prometheus
01-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Yes. Boris Goreta says he had same problem couldn't find it in any folder. But he reinstalled and there it was. To do that I 'll have to uninstall LW10 complete den reinstall ?

unfortunatly ..no one knows the plugin name? I myself canīt find point normal move when searching folders in windows explorer, so it must be within a modeling pack plugin called something.

yes..if you have tried and scanned plugins folder? did you? and it wonīt show up anyway?

I think you unfortunatly have to reinstall, I would suggest saving out configs and shortcuts first if you
have changed it to your personal preferences.

otherwise It shouldnīt be that much of a hazzle to reinstall, mostly that you might have to set up your own configs and menus to match what you had before, if you did changes from
original configs that is.

Michael

prometheus
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
ahh..think I found it..
the plugin is called polytools

I found it by going to edit plugins, choose grouping method to category, did a browse through modeling and found point normal move and itīs file name is showcased as polytools.p

so check your plugins folder to make sure it is there, and simply reinstall that one.

gerry_g
01-16-2013, 11:58 AM
well I didn't know that either but quick HD search reassured me it was installed by default in LighWave 8.5, 9, 9.1, 9.6, 10.1, and 11.3 so how your's has gone missing god only knows

ige
01-16-2013, 12:42 PM
WOW! ... and there she was....... Thank you so very much, P. Now I can make that mikrofon. Tackar och bockar. Björn

ige
01-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Now I tried to do the Mic Mesh tutorial. I made a web and set up the collision objects like the tutorial. The web has ca 10 000 polys. But LW crashes when trying to calculate. My PC has Intel Core i7 3,07 Gb ; Nvidia GeForce GTX 570; 12 Gb RAM. Is there something I can do to make it work?