PDA

View Full Version : Timewarp and particle issu

spigolo
01-10-2013, 11:26 AM
Hello in lw11 I have to freeze in time an animation of particle with istances connected (simple balls).
I never used the so poor documented timewarp tool ,that i knew from version 9 is made to create the timewarp effect (like matrix).
I tried to set it up and after some dealing it seems to work but...particle ARE NOT RENDERED!!!!

i tried with all different kinds of cameras but nothing..
Any solution? Is timewarp a supported tool or like always in lightwave it works only with certain items?

Thx...

Ryan Roye
01-10-2013, 01:11 PM
I've never had success with the timewarp tool, fortunately there are better tools out there.

For time-stretching everything in the 3d window, use stretch snap keys (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=098c288f); it is a tool every Lightwave animator should have. Stretch snap keys takes care of your timeline speed manipulation needs. The only thing it can't affect are envelopes, in which you'd have to tie an envelope to a null in order to adjust the timing via that plugin.

Particles can throw a wrench into time-manipulations... it certainly isn't as easy as it should be. It can be tricky, but the most simplistic way of doing it that I know of is this:

1) Have your animation done and ready.

-Say you want to play your particles at normal speed, then slow down at some point, then again play at normal speed...

2) You will need three PFX files to do this. Set your timeline range to the first part, head over to your emitters dynamics tab, and under "File", select "Save motion". Repeat this step for the "slowed-down" portion and the 2nd normal speed portion. Note that I am assuming you are doing this BEFORE slowing down time.

3) For the 2nd emitter (the slowed down one), you will notice "playback speed" as an option. Tweak it to match the speed of the rest of your animation. Fortunately you get real-time feedback when you make changes.

4) For the 3rd emitter, the slowed-down one is going to throw things out of whack; you gotta change the start frame. To do this, look for "Playback mode", again under "File" (dynamics tab), and set it to "Key". This means that the animation will play at the start of each keyframe. You may need to set your null to 0,0,0 XYZ, and 0,0,0 HPB for this to work, as "KEY" makes your particles follow the null's movement (which you don't want, you just want to play back the PFX file).

5) Finally, there is a catch to the above steps. This WILL NOT affect the properties contained inside "Hypervoxels" (where you change the look/color of your particles)... so you have 2 options here. You can either tie every property to a null and use stretch/snap keys to "time-shift" your envelopes, or you can do it by hand. I am not sure how gradients behave as a result of adjusting the Playback speed property, so those may or may not give you some extra tasks to do.

Hope this helps!

spigolo
01-11-2013, 03:19 AM
Thanks a lot chazriker!
I will try your tecniques and will tell you if they works,,anyhow newtek has to fiz this bug,,

spigolo
01-11-2013, 03:34 AM
I understood your tecnique and is smart butit doesen't work in my case (im using also wind with animation path)..if just newtek would add an envelope to the speed playback we would have fixed everyting...

dpont
01-11-2013, 06:43 AM
The PFX format, as one unique file for entire animation
with variable number of particle per frame isn't
praticle for timewarping,
with DP Motion Designer it is possible to bake
a LW Particle Emitter in a MDD file with a LWO Object
or in a Maya MCC multi-file,
both MDD Emitter and MCC Emitter plugin have
a "Mapped Time" option,
MCC format allows also to store particle rotation data.

Denis.

dpont
01-11-2013, 06:43 AM
deleted,
crazy double, triple,.. posting..
a frequent issue in this forum as I can see.

Denis.

dpont
01-11-2013, 06:47 AM
...MCC format allows also to store particle rotation data.

Denis.

spigolo
01-12-2013, 09:30 AM
Denis you are the man!!!!
It works!!!
Just a quick info..the MCC file format you are talking about is what is named xml below the mdd file in the particlescan?

spigolo
01-12-2013, 09:40 AM
Denis just a point on a little issue in your spline deformer that I have noted also in the wind animation path tool in the wind FX and that I have pointed on a similar thread few days ago..

If you build a path using the add items or the import spline in your tool, everything is fine..but then, if by case you need to insert a new handle in the middle of others handles than problem starts..

In my case (with the animation path in the wind fx) I had to draw in the layout a very complex spiral path for my particles..than the client wanted some peculiar changes in the beginning of the path and we started to clone some items
in order to have more handle to shape the path properly, but all the new handles where placed at the end of the path..no way.

At the end we had to redraw everything from scratch.

I have also did an attempt to don't use particles but use the spline deformer and then use the point of a tube as source for my instancer (i'm simulating a gas inside a compressor using little balls)
And I have noticed that also in your case if by accident you need to add an handle in the middle of the path it is impossible, and in the worst case you have to redraw completely the path..

Why do not add an insert item (or handle ) function? It would be very useful..

Thanks a lot for all your efforts..

dpont
01-12-2013, 11:24 AM
..the MCC file format you are talking about is what is named xml below the mdd file in the particlescan?

The xml is the 'human-readable' file for MCC,
with channels declaration etc,
because particle data is stored in individual *.mc files
with same prefix name and frame digit number in the same folder.

Denis.

dpont
01-12-2013, 11:28 AM
...In my case (with the animation path in the wind fx) I had to draw in the layout a very complex spiral path for my particles..than the client wanted some peculiar changes in the beginning of the path and we started to clone some items
in order to have more handle to shape the path properly, but all the new handles where placed at the end of the path..no way...

If you select a knot in the Spline Deformer list,
the new item is inserted after this knot, not at the end of the list.

Denis.

spigolo
01-17-2013, 01:30 AM
Yep I noticed..sorry, that is a great option .I think I will do my animation using fake particle animating a tube along a path with your tool.
Just a question I have noticed that if you don't draq the object you want to deform along the z+ i always have issue..is that correct?

Just another quick question..if I want from a certain knot make my object (a tube) smaller in diameter maybe with a morph is there one of your nodes that might help in doing that?

dpont
01-17-2013, 03:18 AM
...I have noticed that if you don't draq the object you want to deform along the z+ i always have issue..is that correct?..

I have not noticed issues with other object axis alignment than Z+,
Object alignment is important but rather related to the rest spline,
if the object is not Z+ aligned, the rest spline must be aligned to the object,
as I showed before, this can be much better controled
by setting the spline in Modeler and then load it in Spline Deformer.

...if I want from a certain knot make my object (a tube) smaller in diameter maybe with a morph is there one of your nodes that might help in doing that?

Morph can be applied with a Morph node into the Delta input of Spline Deformer.

Denis.

spigolo
01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi Denis,
I'm setting up my spiral path with your tool, but i'm having a lot of issue with the tube deformation.
Is it possible that when you have many knots (arounf 40 in mycase) and some quite close between them the tool has some issue in deforming the object?
My tube has a lot of division etc. but i have very strange behaviour..

spigolo
01-17-2013, 07:45 AM
Hi Denis,
I'm setting up my spiral path with your tool, but i'm having a lot of issue with the tube deformation.
Is it possible that when you have many knots (arounf 40 in mycase) and some quite close between them the tool has some issue in deforming the object?

dpont
01-17-2013, 11:27 AM
...I'm setting up my spiral path with your tool, but i'm having a lot of issue with the tube deformation.

I don't know with just this description,
Spline Deformer node displacement behavior depends
of scene content and settings.

Denis.

spigolo
01-17-2013, 01:53 PM
what do you mean with scene content and setting?
I used it in the past and it worked flawless, but now I'm having a lot of issue with a complicated path..

spigolo
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
I found what i was doing wrong..not placing the knots in the shape of the object to be deformed at frame 0 !!!..also i understood how the load pose from spline works..genial!! Tomorrow I will setup my animation in minutes..!!

Ryan Roye
01-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Slick solution Dpont. I'll be bookmarking this thread; this would definitely be a tutorial-worthy demonstration to do.