PDA

View Full Version : RH Animation Tools

RebelHill
01-10-2013, 06:27 AM
So... here's a more finished collection of pluings/tools Ive been putting together for all the animators out there...

edit... Just updated the zip here (15:07gmt) to make a change to the key reducer (and the embedded version in baker)... it now only deletes fixed keys between hold positions (leaving the out point key) handy if you want to use it for non baked motions).

Rebel Hill Animation Tools.

A set of simple tools to help with common animation tasks and needs.

//////////////////////////////

RH_HoldFlat;

We should be familiar with the situation where you key something, lets say at frame 0, then key it again at the same place at say frame 10... Then we move and key it at frame 20. If we're using TCB curves by default, we get a drift happen between 0-10... our HOLD keys.

This script will flatten out those hold portions automatically for all channels of the selected item(s).

////////////////////////////

RH_ReduceKeys;

A simple key reducer to get rid of extraneous keyframes, intended mainly for cleaning up key curves after baking. No different to the reduce tool built into graph editor, but is often faster to use due to GE's slow speed at selecting large numbers of channels for large numbers of items (such as when reducing keys for a baked character rig).

RH_EulerFilter;

A simple Euler filter for fixing the "flipping" that occurs after baking curves in the channels of items which have used various motion controlers/constraints. Important for fixing things that will be rendered with motionblur, or exported to game engines, or the like.

RH_MotionBaker

This plugin bakes motion to keyframes for a group of selected items. Bakes any motion that can ordinarily be baked to keys using LightWave's regular per item Motion Baker plugin, or who's motion records via manual keyframing. This tool also contains implementations of the other tools above to give you a one stop shop for baking and cleanup.

//////////////////////////////

Enjoy.

RH.

sami
01-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Excellent stuff - very handy. The motion baker works a treat! I hereby recommend everyone go buy Rhiggit & your RHR videos as a thank you. :)

ksnoad
01-10-2013, 06:53 AM
Yes, handy.

Thank you very much :)

Kev xx

RebelHill
01-10-2013, 06:56 AM
btw... theres an updated version of the baker in this package... which the extra bits built in.

OnlineRender
01-10-2013, 07:22 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vh78T--ZUxY

RH_HoldFlat;
that my friend is a god send

Marius Roth
01-10-2013, 09:17 AM
Thanks! Especially HoldFlat is a %&$-Dream :)

VermilionCat
01-10-2013, 09:32 AM
Thanks, RH! Those are very useful!

Hail
01-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Awesome! This is a dream come true:).
Thanks bunch, RH!

Kaptive
01-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Flipping awesome, many thanks! Big love care bear style over to Jersey!

HenrikSkoglund
01-10-2013, 01:19 PM
I already bought RHiggit though so I will just say thanks ;)

Awesome stuff.

pablogrca1
01-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Same here, bought RHiggit but still many thanks Craig!

RebelHill
01-10-2013, 02:27 PM
Well, cheers. So very glad you all like 'em.

As for those of you who do indeed have RHiggit, I started stringing these tools together initially as add-ons for RHiggit, to help quicken workflow, or automate certain tasks... The Motion Baker is THE tool for finalising an animation done on an RH rig... select all deform bones, and run baker (ideally with default options), delete your control structures and send to render. It also makes a great tool to use with the FBX-IK rig. Get your mocap loaded onto the rig in LW, select the control items and bake (perhaps even with a frame step to give pseudo-handKeying), and switch out to the control rig and edit away. Its even got a custom lil hook in there for the FBX-IK to prevent you having to run the double bake to capture the updated motions for the spine system.

Cheers.

Samus
01-10-2013, 02:39 PM
Thanks!!! now we need a quick way to switch from TCB to Linear and Stepped like Maya's and this will be an animators Playground !!!

RebelHill
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks!!! now we need a quick way to switch from TCB to Linear and Stepped like Maya's and this will be an animators Playground !!!

I can do that...

Ryan Roye
01-10-2013, 02:50 PM

Createkey plus can do this. (http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=10a0b4be). Though, for more than just one keyframe I haven't looked at what is out there.

RebelHill
01-10-2013, 03:49 PM
Done...

RH_CurveSwitch;

Quick tool for switching key curve types for any item(s) selection(s). Contains an implementation of RH_HoldFlat to auto flatten hold key points for TBC or Hermite curve types.

///////////////////////////

allabulle
01-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Thank you very much, Craig.

Oh, and I haven't bought the rig yet, but I did buy your nodes and rigging series of tutorials. I love them!

sami
01-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Done...

RH_CurveSwitch;

Quick tool for switching key curve types for any item(s) selection(s). Contains an implementation of RH_HoldFlat to auto flatten hold key points for TBC or Hermite curve types.

///////////////////////////

Could I bother you to use the "Manage Your Attachments" feature in this forum and add this to your package zip at the start of this thread? It will make it easier to get the latest if you version the filename and update the first zip instead of me having to trawl through the threads to find your awesomeness. Not a biggie, but it would help. Thanks again!

jasonwestmas
01-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Thanks ACE! These are the kinds of things that should be in there. Nuff said.

nemofish
01-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Excellent stuff! Thanks for sharing.

HenrikSkoglund
01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Craig, come to think of it, is there anything in the upcoming Genoma system that you can use/combine with RHiggit?

Samus
01-11-2013, 02:59 AM
I can do that...

Ohhh YEah!!!!
Hey Santa!!! huh? i meant Rebel !!!!
Thanks rebelHill !!! ill try that!!!

RebelHill
01-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Well... its not really easy to say... but knowing rigging pretty much inside out, there's a LOT about genoma I reckon I can deduce from the details put out thus far. First, it seems pretty evident that it builds its rigs based on existing systems, meaning, it appears to not have any special new "tools" and is basically building rigs using LWs rigging toolset which you could, since v9.6, happily (though slowly) build by hand... just like RHiggit... all native. So given that... for one possible interpretation of "could they be used together"... sure... I cant see any reason why, if say, u had a RH rig, and a genoma rig together, ud be unable to do cross-constraining/dynamic parenting... have the hand of a genoma character pin to the knee of a RH character, etc, etc.. The rigs should, Id imagine, be able to "interoperate" no problem.

Alternative 2... lets say you had an RH guy, and you wanted to add a wing coming out of his head/butt/elbow (u never know, right)... well again, I should think possible. You could likely setup the wing bit using genoma, and then just reparent it in to the appropriate bit of hierarchy on the RH guy, get the bones rested in, etc. There would, I should imagine, be no automatic way to do this... but since the main "rigging" would be done for you in both systems, the manual work would essentially be a cut/paste type event. SO long as you knew what needed to go where (had an understanding of the basic need to knows of rigging) you could probably do that also.

But that, I would guess, is likely where it would end... there's be no way, I can imagine, to have the 2 autoriggers "talk" to one another in any way.

Its also, I think, pretty self evident that the 2 systems are VERY different in their approaches to setup, and their final output. Genoma's strength obviously is gonna lie in its versatility of form... any shape, number of limbs, heads, etc... But I would predict that (continuing the presumption this is all LW native) it wont so much be delivering "A" rig, so much as lots of little individual rigs, all parented together, delivering a final rig that's a bit of a "hodge-podge". RHiggit is quite different in this regard... as it's strength lies in having rigs that are designed as a "whole", adn this is what makes them so versatile in their pose and control systems, what makes them so slick and intuitive for animators to use (as every control is oriented and ordered in a "connected" thought out fashion), and ofc, what allows their deform system to do such a bang up job without much user input in terms of weighting, etc. This "unified design" of "full" character rigs is what really most prevented me from making RHiggit a modular system from the outset. (thats not to say it couldnt be done... but it might take some real cleverness to do).

I fully believe that when we finally see genoma... the RH biped rigs will just rip the genoma bipeds to pieces, no contest. But conversely the genoma spider is gonna... oh no, look... the IS NO RHiggit spider...

So when it comes to having the 2... Whilst I reckon that "combinations" alá Alt2, mentioned above, will be possible... the far more common, and I should think far more USEFUL "interaction" for most folks will be the first case I mention, where each system gets used for its own strengths to fill the gap that the other has.

Sami... Thought I could only do that when editing posts (never really dug round the forum tools much)... I shall check it out. Cheers.
Edit... yeah, nope... I cant find where you do this... If a post has become uneditable, I cant find a way to swap the attachment in it.

GraphXs
01-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks! Oh, and RHiggit is wonderful and simple to set up! RHNodes...still wrapping my brain around them.

RebelHill
01-11-2013, 06:12 AM
RHNodes...still wrapping my brain around them.

Ahh, its just a series of humps, and getting over each sets you up for getting over the next. Once enough have clicked you'll start to get a more "holistic" view of how things can be done, and then you'll be flying. Stick with it, and dont be afraid to play and make mistakes as you go... it'll be worth it... promise.

sami
01-11-2013, 06:15 AM
Sami... Thought I could only do that when editing posts (never really dug round the forum tools much)... I shall check it out. Cheers.
Edit... yeah, nope... I cant find where you do this... If a post has become uneditable, I cant find a way to swap the attachment in it.

oops my bad... turns out you can only delete attachments after the edit window for your post has past...

ianr
01-11-2013, 08:39 AM
Dear Reb
You & mr. Albee between U have been LW
Torchbearers for rigging & thank you for that.
Your 'posthesis on Genoma I found very interesting,
I think Lego block terms that Lino should include a tentacle?

But the main thrust of my post is that with a little bit of feedback
from Newtek it would be great for them to allow you 'under the hood'
and build a sorely needed muscle system like Weta's . That should
get your gears whirling,
til then thanks for friggin in da riggin!

Samus
01-11-2013, 08:46 AM
:boogiedow: Hey Rebel!!
just Tryed your RHCurvSmith...It's offically my new best friend!!!!!:thumbsup:

I'm stunned Newtek does not think of such and so needed tools...
Or at least update each basic tool to make em better instead of having the "It's already there!! no need to change it! " thought process.

Thanks RebelHill !!

geo_n
01-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks RH. The RH resource is getting bigger and better.

Hail
01-11-2013, 09:32 AM
I say NT hire RH nowww!!! what do you say guys? ;)

ianr
01-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Hi Hail
see ma previous post up da page

RebelHill
01-11-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm stunned Newtek does not think of such and so needed tools...

Well, in fairness... I hadnt really thought of it as a "must have" either. And again it comes down to just how many tools could one (namely NT) reasonably make?? There isnt a single app out there that doesn't have potentially useful tools missing... hell there'd be no more software updates if there were.

But it can also be argued that the structures ARE there for users if they think they want such things, that's why there's scripting access in all the apps... or in the case of ICE in SI, which really is a ssytem for allowing users to build their own tools as they think they need them and arent there "pre-fabbed".

You really can argue both ways, and differently in respect to different tasks/tools... Its never as simple as "why doesnt devX think of this"... its swings and roundabouts.

RebelHill
01-11-2013, 10:50 AM
it would be great for them to allow you 'under the hood'
and build a sorely needed muscle system like Weta's

That presumes that Id be capable (Im not... id BE at weta or similar)... And even if I were, and put such a thing in LW... no-one would be able to use it, cos it would a highly technical tool that requires a team of technical directors to be able to wrangle (hey... u did say JUST LIKE weta's).

RebelHill
01-11-2013, 01:05 PM
Oopsie...

Lil error in curveSwitch... fixed now (also rewritten code structure, not that that makes any difference to usage).

Cheers.

Cageman
01-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Well, in fairness... I hadnt really thought of it as a "must have" either. And again it comes down to just how many tools could one (namely NT) reasonably make?? There isnt a single app out there that doesn't have potentially useful tools missing... hell there'd be no more software updates if there were.

True...

That said... I've feedbacked NT regarding a native Euler filter implementation in GE and showcased how the one in Maya works. The same thing with motionbaking, again, showcasing how it works in Maya (baking down constraints to actual keyframes and so on). Thankfully, Mentalfish wrote a very handy keyframebaker that I've used countless times.

But... with all that said...

Great pack of tools you've created for the LW-community!!! :thumbsup:

Keep up the awesome work!

RebelHill
01-11-2013, 01:35 PM
Thankfully, Mentalfish wrote a very handy keyframebaker that I've used countless times.

Me too... However I noticed when baking rigs that on occasion it introduces minor inaccuracies, due I suspect to it storing its own list of "looked up" vals for things rather than using LWs internal system to lay them dead bang. The result is that for some character motions, you get a compound of tiny inaccuracies running down a hierarchy (accumulated floating point error essentially), and when that happens on a leg, or something, u get lil slippy feet... thus my original thrust to make my own that wouldnt do it.

Ofc, MFs approach allows for baking of normally non-bakable motions, like MGO, or nodal motion... Mine won't, but you could get the best of both worlds by running his first, and mine second, THEN removing control/constraint structures.

As for Euler filtering... yeah... that really shoulda been in there yonks ago... but I HAD to have it for a lil new extension that's gonna be added to RHiggit in the not too distant future...

chikega
01-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Thank you for all the hard work. I've been using Lightwave off and on since 1997 but mostly for medical illustrations and have only dabbled in animation (mostly LW, messiah and modo). I've recently been hired at the School of Dental Medicine and I would like to rig a fairly detailed jaw rig which is more complex than one might think at first glance, since it isn't a simple hinge-type jaw, but a "sliding" jaw. There doesn't seem to be much out there in the way of "recent" rigging tutorials for LW and your rigging tutorial seems to be the most complete one. I have downloaded the free 3 hours and they look great. I was wondering if they are still applicable to 11.x. From what I can gather, not much has changed since 9.6 and even the upcoming Genoma is just an autorigging tool which generates standard LW rigs.

Your nodal tutorials look awesome and I am purchasing those as well (I just can't get used to modo's shader tree). I apologize for posting these tangents on your thread. :)

RebelHill
01-13-2013, 09:28 AM
Yup, yup... everything in RHR is fully current.

chikega
01-13-2013, 10:05 AM
Excellent!

khan973
01-13-2013, 12:02 PM
RebelHill,
thanks again for your dedication for our community!
I was wondering if you ever thought about a posing tool.
What I find nice with your rigs is that we can use them across completely different characters. Considering this, we could also build a library of poses or even better animations to use often.
So is it in your plans to have a tool to store, re-use poses / animations?

As for your opinion on Genoma, I agree. Your rig acts as a whole and goes much further in terms of deformations accuracy but Genoma is a modular system that helps getting fast rig for almost anything.
They complete each other. Using both, I can tell that tey are both great tools in their fields.

RebelHill
01-15-2013, 03:20 AM
New One...

RH_MakeFreePivot.

Sets up a sliding pivot for an item/group of items... (like the anim pivot system seen in the car rig here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcpvEwnkC1Q 4:20)

Select an item, or group of items, run the tool, and boom... lil slideable parent/pivot system added.

//////////////

Khan... regarding your Q... A pose system... not that huge a deal, and doable ALMOST... wouldnt be sure where to start with a view/presets panel for, ofc, letting you see which pose you were choosing, etc. But another slightly connected issue, which is THE issue when it comes down to reusing animations... is the good old RETARGETING problem. Its all well and good copying anim curves verbatim from one rig to another, but if they're differing in proportion or size, there's a LOT of cleanup involved without the ability to properly retarget somehow.

That said... I do have other more pressing tools/extensions/excursions for the minute anyhow... so possible or not, its as good as kicked into the long grass Im afraid.

Cheers.

allabulle
01-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Thanks again, Craig.

Hail
01-15-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi Hail
see ma previous post up da page

Yeah.. I sorta get it, a Lino, Craig combo at LW3DG would be awesome for CA in lw.
Why NT is holding back is beyond my comprehension

Samus
01-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Just Purchased RHN Node !! Can't wait to get the download link...nodes has been for me trials and errors...so this hopefully will make this Clearer!

Thanks Craig!!

khan973
01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
is the good old RETARGETING problem.
Cheers.

Thanks for your answer, a posing tool would be enough for now :)
I really wish Motion mixer had been given some love, i'm sure that if a few functionalities were added since it exists, we wouldn't really need Motion Builder so much.
Anyway, thanks for your tools.

Have you ever thought about doing the same thing as you did (scripted RIG) for vehicles (a la Autorig) ?

geo_n
01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
If you don't mind spending money again you can buy maestro, I use it in conjunction with rhiggit to save poses, animation and as a versatile graphic ui and dopetrack.

Or you can use ikboost.

Even modo has something similar to ikboost and has ability to save poses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdQksX9uDOE

If the Foundry didn't buy modo I would be seriously looking at modo right now.

khan973
01-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks, I'll take a closer look to Maestro, I've never really gotten deep into all what it offers.

jwiede
01-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Maestro's definitely worth the cost, esp. when combined with RHiggit (Pro), the two work really well together!

allabulle
01-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Is Maestro still in developemend and, more important even, supported?

erikals
01-16-2013, 02:50 AM
Thanks, definitely will have a look at these plugins. (especially the CA ones)

Maestro discussion > http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?127841-tcb-vs-bezier&p=1242052&viewfull=1#post1242052

allabulle
01-16-2013, 03:11 AM
Thanks for the link, erikals.

Hail
01-16-2013, 06:03 AM
I might be wrong on this but I think maestro is longer developed

chikega
01-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I just purchased Maestro from Stillwater Pictures and received an email for the download. I hope Newtek will fix the problem with the interactive feedback in LW 11. :)

tonybliss
01-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Genoma ... be a bit patient

RebelHill
01-28-2013, 01:11 PM
genoma wont replace the functionality of maestro... And, going by recent things regarding LWs eval system... I very much doubt you're gonna see a fix that repairs maestro's interactivity problems anytime soon.

RebelHill
02-06-2013, 12:07 PM
UPDATES

Ive updated the anim tools here.

First... updated Euler Filter...

This now performs "unrolling" of pitch channel. When targeting is used on pitch channel... euler co-ords restricts it to a -90/90 range, flipping heading and bank to compensate. When removing heading/bank flip, this leaves pitch in a "back-rolling" state... messing up animation. This new version fixes that by rekeying pitch values outside the euler domain. Also updated filter implementation inside MotionBaker.

ADDED...

RH_LockUnlock

Simple one click tool for locking/unlocking single or multiple items. Run on unlocked items to lock them, and vice versa.

RH_HideUnhide

Simple one click tool for hiding or unhiding single or multiple items. Run on visible items to hide them, hidden ones to show them.

Cheers, all.

VermilionCat
02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
You really know what we want :) Thank you very much!

Afalk
02-06-2013, 02:03 PM
What a great little update! Thanks!

allabulle
02-06-2013, 03:08 PM
Thanks

Samus
02-06-2013, 04:20 PM
RebelHil Your tools are Amazing ... I already use them in my animations and its a Quickdraw and i'm done!!!! .... Seems like all you need is a Layering system to your Quick lock Quick hide Tools....
Thanks a Bunch !!!

RebelHill
02-06-2013, 04:48 PM
all you need is a Layering system to your Quick lock Quick hide Tools....

U mean like some kinda selection set thing??

Samus
02-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Indeed...like quick selections of object stored to a index that you can recall in different displays i.e bounding box, point or wireframe.
Pushing it further with render displays flags. There was LayerMC plugin that was quite handy...Maybe you could add a Pose tool to your arsenal....lol...feel like i'm making my wish list here :p

Anything you pulled already has made my life easyer ... this is icing on the cake!

Cheers! And thanks for this update

geo_n
02-07-2013, 03:38 AM
If I can make a request for Rhiggit pro is a graphical ui like maestro with all the controls and slider controls. :D
Viewport sliders in lightwave are not easily pickable on screen. I push a slider button first to be able to pick them better.

RebelHill
02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
Well... Ive not gotten into panels/gui/mouse position stuff yet... so a character panels probably off for at the least the forseeable future, though schematic view does serve reasonably well for the moment.... However, a quicker, simpler interface for IKFK switching, etc is def on the list for the update after next, which I think you'll find handy and nice to use, so additions are coming.

Samus
02-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Febuary is a Fun month ... Lw 11.5 ... RH Animation Tools ... More...

RebelHill
02-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Updates

Yup... updated again... Euler Filter AGAIN...

Tricksy making sure that the unroll method is neither over-zealous making corrections that shouldnt be made (no problem in previous update), but also that it doesnt miss any occasions where it should kick in... (which previous did).

This is it now... Im sure... I can feel it...

erikals
02-07-2013, 01:52 PM
..how 'bout video previews on these...? :hey:

jasonwestmas
02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Rebel Hill's manager says that RH is pretty tuckered out, he needs time to recuperate. ;)

erikals
02-08-2013, 02:14 AM
he has a manager now?... dang. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/smilies/suspicious.gif