PDA

View Full Version : Changing the center of a radial array of duplicates

deadline
01-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Hi, everyone!

I am working on some tutorials, and would like to duplicate an object in a circle. The various tools in Lightwave 11 all seem to rotate the objects around the world center. Is there a way to move the center of duplication without having to figure out the coordinates? Some software packages use the original object's pivot point to base the rotation around. Is there anything like this in Lightwave 11? All my searches on the all-knowing inter webs has come up empty.

Joe

Lewis
01-10-2013, 12:49 AM
Hi!

are you speaking about Layout or modeler array tool :)?

meshpig
01-10-2013, 01:06 AM
Have you tried using Rail Clone? Or "Random Cloner" (http://www.polas.net/plugins/cloner.php) where you can manage the rotation?

Sensei
01-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Modeler's Multiply > Array tool has in Radial mode Center X,Y,Z inputs. Change them from initial 0,0,0 to what you want.

There is no built-in array radial tool in Layout AFAIK.

deadline
01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Hi, everyone,

Thanks for the responses. I will give rail cloner a try. I tried to move the center of rotation in the array tool (this is in Modeler), but it seems kind of unintuitive. I was wondering if I was using the tools incorrectly.

Sensei
01-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Alternatively to entering Center location, you can move whole object in axes you want, then use default Center 0,0,0. Effect will be the same.

deadline
01-10-2013, 07:10 PM
Thanks, Sensei! I think my plan is to copy any object that I want to do a radial array around and move it to the world center. Create my radial array, delete the object I was using as a guide, and move the group of radially arrayed objects into their proper position. Spin It makes things pretty easy.