PDA

View Full Version : Wind animation path big issue

spigolo
01-09-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi,
We are doing a complex particle animation related to some engine stuff.
Particle have to run along a specific path and we find the best solution to be the use of the animation path options in the windFX .
It works fine and the path is a bit complex and is made of a lot of nulls .
The problems is that once you define the path if you want to make some changes to the shape of the path (like the clients asked..) even if you clone a null where you need it the cloned null
takes the latest number in the list of the null that compose the wind animation path...so the particle will ignore that null even if is in the middle of the path and will run through the old path and then jump
to that null at the end.
The problem is that it is impossible to rename all the nulls, and also in our case we have more than 50 of them so it would take a lot.

I think Newtek should:
1 fix this issue letting user add null to reshape the path wherever they want otherwise the tool become not so flexible
2 create a tool to rename multiple items in the layout.
3 in addition, actually it is possible only to scale proportionally the handles, it would be very nice if you could scale them on the 3 axis inipendently in order to have the particle
to be squeezed with more freedom and flexibility...

spigolo
01-10-2013, 01:39 AM
I think in general that newtek in the rebirth of LW have to make a more procedural layout with tools that talks each others..( a known problem) We must have a general path tool that we can use with all the tools that needs it and not that every tool has its own path with related issue.
Another issue with the wind tx tool is that particle they don't react with other particle stuff, for ezample i would like to freeze them at a certain point of the animation but it's impossibile with every tool that i have tried...

prometheus
01-16-2013, 03:15 PM
I think in general that newtek in the rebirth of LW have to make a more procedural layout with tools that talks each others..( a known problem) We must have a general path tool that we can use with all the tools that needs it and not that every tool has its own path with related issue.
Another issue with the wind tx tool is that particle they don't react with other particle stuff, for ezample i would like to freeze them at a certain point of the animation but it's impossibile with every tool that i have tried...

I agree that tools like a spline drawing tool is needed in Layout, acessable for most other tools like animation, motion path, and particle path,wind path etc..hope they work on that, Im not fond of how
the workflow is with setting up animation wind path.

freezing particle? try use partigon and save particles as transformed objects, if you have an hv emitter, you could run particle2partigon command first, or save ut the particle fx, and reload on to partigon emitter
and then save out transformed.

Michael

spigolo
01-17-2013, 01:37 AM
I agree that tools like a spline drawing tool is needed in Layout, acessable for most other tools like animation, motion path, and particle path,wind path etc..hope they work on that, Im not fond of how
the workflow is with setting up animation wind path.

freezing particle? try use partigon and save particles as transformed objects, if you have an hv emitter, you could run particle2partigon command first, or save ut the particle fx, and reload on to partigon emitter
and then save out transformed.

Michael

Hi Michael,
for freezing I will use particle scan from dpont it's a great tool that transform particles in point that you can animate with an envelope.
Unfortunately there is another issue with the wind path, I have to draw a spiral and the more handle you add the more the curve bocomes quadratic...So I will use fake particle (points) with the dpoint shift spline node..
I agree with you that newtek should make general tool that talks each other..I'm sure that with Rob Powers new direction they are aware of it..

prometheus
01-17-2013, 05:11 PM
yes..drawing spline paths directly in Layout for motion paths and wind paths or particle velocity paths would be awesome, but before that happens..I would be happy if you simple could draw a spline path in modeler
and load in layout as wind path, as it is now you can only attach the emitter to such animation path.

If pushing our requests, I think some sort of L-system from either Layout or modeler with complex structures which particles could use for direction would be awesome.

Michael