PDA

View Full Version : Most common preference/config adjustments

nickdigital
01-07-2013, 07:18 PM
I'm just curious but what are the most common preference/config adjustments people find themselves having to adjust every time they have to rebuild their configs?

Surrealist.
01-07-2013, 07:32 PM
For me it was always the bottom row in Modeler which was always cluttered with things I used key shorts for (numeric, stats, info) and was hiding things I preferred to click on and also see and if they were enabled or not at a glance. such as "modes". So I'd remove the latter from the drop down list and bring them out to buttons. And then there were a few other things I liked to have down there - forget now - and if I ran out of space I'd start deleting the things I never used. To me especially the modes thing, this is the most illogical default config in LightWave. When I started using Blender I was not surprised to see all the things I set up in Modeler be right there at the bottom where I used to config it.

nickdigital
01-07-2013, 08:15 PM
For me it was always the bottom row in Modeler which was always cluttered with things I used key shorts for (numeric, stats, info) and was hiding things I preferred to click on and also see and if they were enabled or not at a glance. such as "modes". So I'd remove the latter from the drop down list and bring them out to buttons. And then there were a few other things I liked to have down there - forget now - and if I ran out of space I'd start deleting the things I never used. To me especially the modes thing, this is the most illogical default config in LightWave. When I started using Blender I was not surprised to see all the things I set up in Modeler be right there at the bottom where I used to config it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you're talking about adjusting the menu layout correct?

geo_n
01-07-2013, 08:20 PM
general preferences?

Surrealist.
01-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Yes, the menu layout.

Ryan Roye
01-07-2013, 09:28 PM
For layout, I always switch autokey to "modify all channels"... why this isn't the default I have no idea; it seems more advanced to want to selectively modify motion channels.

sami
01-07-2013, 09:46 PM
For layout, I always switch autokey to "modify all channels"... why this isn't the default I have no idea; it seems more advanced to want to selectively modify motion channels.

Seems there are 2 camps, because I personally, love AutoKey defaulting to completely OFF. I prefer to play in Layout more free form and generate keys on demand and not accidentally mess up complex scenes or rigs when experimenting with poses or camera moves etc. Every new release I end up forgetting autokey is on in the new installs and have to revert the scenes since Layout Undo is so lame. Don't mind autokey on Sliders and morph mixer stuff though - because those are more intentional controls to me...

Otherwise, the main thing for me is rebuilding all my menu layouts and tabs. I use the standard LWCAD tabs plus the default ones and with bigger screens there is more room for more buttons and groups. Alot of stuff on the select tabs tends to work nicely on the map tab in modeler and I have rigging stuff in layout. I tend to store plugins nicely in a folder structure so re adding those tends to not be so bad.

nickdigital
01-07-2013, 10:35 PM
general preferences?

Not sure what this post means. I know how to adjust preferences.

When LW is acting up we all know that the first troubleshooting fix is to delete configs. This means you have to go through the process of customizing again which is a pain. If a utility existed that helped automate rebuilding configs based on your preferences, would that be useful?

So what preference settings are changed the most? Content directory, fps, etc.

sami
01-07-2013, 11:07 PM
not Content directory, because for me that changes everytime I switch projects and Layout is smart enough (not Modeler yet though) to ask me if I want to change Content Dir whenever I load a new scene.

probiner
01-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Well nick, can't you just point your preferences files to a folder, makes the changes you like, work with them and make those fine adjustments, back up the folder and when crap hits the fan just replace them?

Simple bad example of a Layout shortcut with target like:
C:\your-LW-bin-folder\Layout.exe -cC:\your-LW-folder\your-configs-folder

Cheers

geo_n
01-08-2013, 03:06 AM
Not sure what this post means. I know how to adjust preferences.

When LW is acting up we all know that the first troubleshooting fix is to delete configs. This means you have to go through the process of customizing again which is a pain. If a utility existed that helped automate rebuilding configs based on your preferences, would that be useful?

So what preference settings are changed the most? Content directory, fps, etc.

The attached pic showed the usual settings I change whenever I trash configs.
Color picker, Autocreate key default, unit system, autokey management , etc. That's just the general tab for layout. I change setting for other tabs too but didn't attach it. Menu tabs for modeller also customized. So if you have a utllity that would restore configs that would be cool. For now I just copy my configs to another folder as backup and whenever something happens I just copy it back. Or even copy pasting lightwave install to another pc its easy to copy paste configs to get my customized settings.

nickdigital
01-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Well nick, can't you just point your preferences files to a folder, makes the changes you like, work with them and make those fine adjustments, back up the folder and when crap hits the fan just replace them?

Simple bad example of a Layout shortcut with target like:
C:\your-LW-bin-folder\Layout.exe -cC:\your-LW-folder\your-configs-folder

Cheers

Yes but as someone who is in beta I often have to start over with fresh configs. So it's not as straight forward as just backing up and restoring. And with each new version release you have to redo your configs over. With my utility I generate the default config but then am able to change all the non version specific prefs with the touch of a single button. I used to do what you suggest but if I forget to backup I end up restoring an older config.

At work the utility even updates new configs for my entire team.

- - - Updated - - -

The attached pic showed the usual settings I change whenever I trash configs.
Color picker, Autocreate key default, unit system, autokey management , etc. That's just the general tab for layout. I change setting for other tabs too but didn't attach it. Menu tabs for modeller also customized. So if you have a utllity that would restore configs that would be cool. For now I just copy my configs to another folder as backup and whenever something happens I just copy it back. Or even copy pasting lightwave install to another pc its easy to copy paste configs to get my customized settings.

Ah ok, I didn't look at your attachment up close.

jwiede
01-08-2013, 01:43 PM
The biggest annoyance for me is having to redo my menu changes each time. I have a lot of plugins, LWCAD, etc. and that means that in both Modeler and Layout I need to rebuild them whenever I delete configs. Because the updates change the contents of the "default" & "Studio Production" menu layouts, it requires more than just reloading setups, I wind up having to reload all plugins, switch to Studio Production menus in both, then branch by branch import the various changes and additional menus I use. Were I to simply reload menus I'd not pick up Newtek changes to the menus, nor new tools added in them.

The whole approach to menu editing needs a rethink, IMO. We need easier methods for merging entire trees of changes in with the default or Studio Production menus for a given release. Either that, or we need much better documentation of precisely what changes Newtek makes to those defaults.

Ryan Roye
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
The whole approach to menu editing needs a rethink, IMO.

This.

Also, it'd be cool if we could drag/drop toolbar options directly onto the sidebar instead of hunting them down in the menus.

nickdigital
01-08-2013, 02:50 PM
It sounds like people have issues more with the menu and keyboard shortcuts. I save out those settings and use a python script to ingest them into new configs. I was considering revamping my utility so it's more UI friendly for people.

probiner
01-09-2013, 04:07 AM
Ah sorry, you are trying to understand the overall needs of people so your utility complies. Misunderstood the topic. And thanks in advance :)

Cheers

gerry_g
01-09-2013, 04:16 AM
Yeah but as jwied is saying with importing Menu configs the problem is you miss new changes for the latest LW build same goes for importing Key configs select loop never worked on the Mac (think it was ALT+F1 or something) so I set it to a custom one but now LW11.3 maps it to the right arrow key and that works just fine but if I had reimported my Key configs wholesale I would have missed it. Worse for me is not the things you can config but the ones you can't, because I like to model in a single viewport I set up the numeric keys to flip between elevations and view modes and I have to set this up for every new update, but can I save a config for this can I hell.

nickdigital
01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
This was more about information gathering at this point. I don't wanna commit to something just yet.

And yes, ingesting menu tabs into default menus could be tricky.