PDA

View Full Version : Holy bat waste robin! I kinda got it!

Boobyman
01-07-2013, 11:55 AM
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/lan73nb/arm-ik_zps9e89b805.jpg

I would like to thank you all here at LW nation for helping me and answering my stupid questions. Stupid to you, but to me... well, i'm STOOPIDE!

After hours upon hours working on this i finally got it... kind of. I can somewhat set up ik for an arm. As the picture above shows LW nation i have set up an ik for that beautful arm and it works just nice.

The only problem is that i can't controll the HBP with the null. It moves the arm well, but that's it. Thanks.

nickdigital
01-07-2013, 12:12 PM
The only problem is that i can't controll the HBP with the null. It moves the arm well, but that's it. Thanks.

The HBP of what? If you're trying to control the rotation of the bone that's using the null as the goal you need to enable "Match Goal Orientation". If the chain as a whole isn't following the null when you move it in Z you need to enable the other rotation channels of the bones to be IK.

Boobyman
01-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Got it. Jesus! Thanks so much ND. I'ma bake you a pie and eat it myself later on. Man this makes me happy. Thanks alots.

RebelHill
01-08-2013, 02:06 AM
Sadly... you havent. Just look at your pic... the goal is drifting away from the wrist joint, so you've got something wrong.

Its real easy, see attached.

Boobyman
01-08-2013, 11:11 AM
That was the first test i did before going back in and redoing it all over. I set the parent in place and all. I don't know what i'm doing anymore. DAMN PUBLIC SCHOOL SYSTEM!

This is the latest test i did....
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h47/lan73nb/arm-ik2_zps7168fa24.jpg

Also the link doesn't work...

RebelHill
01-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Its not parent in place... its the structure of the IK setup... look at the lws. I posted... that's the right way.

Boobyman
01-08-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for throwing a spear into my ego. My esteem was thru the roof and now it's under Elvis's remains.

Thanks for pointing that out to me kind mate. I still don't get it, but the lws you posted doesn't work.

I'm to young to drink, but the world is suppose to end any day now so...

RebelHill
01-08-2013, 12:50 PM
what doesnt work??

edit... Oh, and... ta-da.. http://www.3dworldmag.com/2012/12/20/tutorial-get-to-grips-with-lightwave-ik/

Boobyman
01-08-2013, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the link.

Kaptive
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Thanks for throwing a spear into my ego. My esteem was thru the roof and now it's under Elvis's remains.

Thanks for pointing that out to me kind mate. I still don't get it, but the lws you posted doesn't work.

I'm to young to drink, but the world is suppose to end any day now so...

Stick with it Boobyman, it'll all click into place. Lightwave is choc full of eureka! moments, as well as never ending times when you are standing on the edge of that cliff waving your foot out in front of you :)

Craig is the don of Lightwave rigging in my humble opinion (having used his rigs and watching his many videos), but his "easy" can be anothers nightmare when getting your head around rigging concepts.. you'll get there though, and it will all seem easy once you have that eureka moment!

If Craig doesn't mind, I'll post a picture of him below that explains much...

Haha, just kidding :P Meant in jest! :thumbsup:

RebelHill
01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
You enlarged the wrong organ...

Kaptive
01-08-2013, 03:48 PM
You enlarged the wrong organ...

My apologies...

Fixed!

110289 :neener:

...meanwhile, back on topic ;) ...

Boobyman
01-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I learned that arm setup from a tutorial i bought on setting up a basic rig with ik for the arm and leg. Probably money wasted. FELLAS! I need the whole shebang! Okay, a tutorial on how to setup a rig from begining to end. I need to learn how to create it manually to understand what the heck it is. SWEET JESSICA SIMPSON! I'M LOST OUT HERE IN SPACE MAN WITH THIS RIGGING!!!

Any advice on where to get this magic pill? Thanks.

jeric_synergy
01-08-2013, 06:29 PM
Kaptive>>RH: ZING!!!

And I was gonna go on about Brits and their livers. I bow to the master.

RebelHill
01-09-2013, 02:30 AM
Any advice on where to get this magic pill? Thanks.

In the sig...

I suspect that whatever tut you got was pre-LW9.6... LW's rigging took an overhaul during 9.6, pretty much all rigging tuts from before then are now of no use.

jeric_synergy
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
In the sig...
I suspect that whatever tut you got was pre-LW9.6... LW's rigging took an overhaul during 9.6, pretty much all rigging tuts from before then are now of no use.
Oyy! Does that mean that Jonny Gordon's books are obsolete?

Which books, btw, I recommend without reservation, except for the obsolesence issue now.... :cry:

RebelHill
01-09-2013, 12:13 PM
The "theory" stuff... when to use IK, when to use FK... rotation order preferences, etc... all still good.

But any of the "how to" specifics of setting stuff up in LW, yup... obsolete Im afraid. Basically any rigging training that came before 9,6 is obsolete for any version thereafter. Which further means there's only 2 tutorials in all the world that cover the newer sytems (and by new we're talking 4 years old now, lol)... Mine own, and Lino's rigging revealed. RR is ofc fine and dandy, but its pretty much a single character walkthrough that (imo) doesnt teach so much how to plan/leverage the tools in different situations... whereas mine is... let's say thorough (though deep and complete, not for those wanting a simpler, casual introduction).

jeric_synergy
01-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the confirmation, RH.

Lino's thing was a download, right? ANYBODY got a file name? I can't remember if I snagged it or not. (Yes yes I suck thankyou....)

RebelHill
01-09-2013, 02:39 PM
it WAS... back in the days of hardcore... now its here. https://www.lightwave3d.com/buy-lightwave-training/

jeric_synergy
01-09-2013, 04:02 PM
What I'm saying is: somewhere among the tens of thousands of downloads I might have already dl'd it. If I knew the filename, or even a big chunk of the name, I could find it.

Boobyman
01-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Actually it's from a video tutorial using LW 10. He sells the vids pretty cheap and all, but yeah. Not trying to destroy the guy's buisness and all. By going thru his 14 hours of training on rigging i did pick up a few things here and there. I just need to know now that what i picked up is how you actually do it.

RebelHill
01-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Well. I cant comment either way on that...

But what I CAN tell you for sure is the one in the sig most definitely IS how you actually do it. (actually... the write up in the article link I posted is the same... that's the correct way... any other method you've been shown is wrong). Or, y'know... save urself the hassle... and autorig!

Boobyman
01-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Are you saying that i'm TOO STOOPDEDE to learn how to rig so it would be best to autorig????? Cause if you are... you may be right.

I diff want to auto rig later on, but it's important for me to learn this stuff maunally. I don't feel like i'm that far off. Could be wrong, but i think i'm close.

RebelHill
01-12-2013, 03:22 PM
No, its actually pretty easy (when done right)... Im saying it saves the hassle... you dont think I built an autorigger cos I just enjoy the process of rigging oh so much, do ya?

Ofc, its all good to know how to do oneself too, and potentially very important to know, but that all depends on exactly what your needs are.