PDA

View Full Version : LW_ChanLum Update (LW11+ Fix / 2 New Features)

-EsHrA-
01-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi all!

I've upped a new 'LW_ChanLum' update with a fix for LW11+ and it has 2 new features.

Radiosity:
This means you can create ChanLum effect without any lights.
Radiosity samples are multiplied with Chanlum samples.

Caustics:
ChanLum will include caustics with a setup with Lightwave caustics applied on a light.
You probably have to increase LW_ChanLum effect for it to become visible.

For now the windows x32 and x64 versions are available, the mac versions with come later.

All thanks must go out to Denis Pontonnier, it would not have happened without him!
Also thanks to Gerardo Estrada for testing.

Download here : http://members.home.nl/mlon/lw_chanlum/update/
or find it in my sig.

mlon

Phil
01-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I can help with Mac versions, if you'd like. PM me if you're interested.

raw-m
01-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi, this looks really useful, haven't heard of it before. Can you point me in the direction of a basic workflow of how/where to use it (a tutorial, basically!).

allabulle
01-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Nice! Thanks Eshra. I've missed it. :)

adk
01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
That is very cool news ... cheers a whole bunch EsHrA
Now for a bit of testing

PS: Always loved your siggy pic ... any story behind it ?

Oedo 808
01-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Great to see this updated, always a worry that something like this could sink beneath the waves after an update to LightWave leaves it requiring a fix.

Thanks for your efforts, thanks to Denis and Gerardo also.

Tobian
01-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Oh well cool, I will have to try this out!

mikadit
01-08-2013, 04:36 AM
Nice new features!
Thank you.

3dworks
01-10-2013, 07:37 AM
great news, now waiting for a mac version! :)

Afalk
01-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Awesome news ! Thanks for kicking off the year in style!

jwiede
07-21-2013, 12:36 PM
Reviving the thread, any closer to an updated Mac version of Chanlum? It'd be quite useful.

Phil
07-21-2013, 02:06 PM
I never got a reply, so I guess mlon is taking care of it. I'd still be happy to help, if needed.

jwiede
07-23-2013, 01:26 AM
I never got a reply, so I guess mlon is taking care of it. I'd still be happy to help, if needed.

With no further replies or updates for seven months, I'm starting to think nobody is "taking care of it", as it were.

3dworks
07-23-2013, 06:18 PM
bump!

- - - Updated - - -

bump!

- - - Updated - - -

bump!

ary3d
07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
thanks for this tool, much appreciated!!! :)

imshadi
12-15-2013, 03:58 PM
No words can say how thankful I am. I have missed this shader for so long!

djwaterman
12-15-2013, 04:50 PM
What does it do? Channel Luminosity?

gerardstrada
12-15-2013, 06:03 PM
What does it do? Channel Luminosity?

Channel Luminosity adds luminosity to the effect. It's an I/O scalar parameter that might work pretty much like an ambient intensity for the strength of the SSS effect. If 0%, we basically get no luminosity, so areas don't reached by the effect will appear black, while if Luminous is 100% all those areas will be white.

http://s30.postimg.org/uet4lhw7l/Luminous.jpg

The incidence of this parameter is only visible in the scalar Luminous output.

Gerardo

djwaterman
12-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Channel Luminosity adds luminosity to the effect. It's an I/O scalar parameter that might work pretty much like an ambient intensity for the strength of the SSS effect. If 0%, we basically get no luminosity, so areas don't reached by the effect will appear black, while if Luminous is 100% all those areas will be white.

http://s30.postimg.org/uet4lhw7l/Luminous.jpg

The incidence of this parameter is only visible in the scalar Luminous output.

Gerardo

Could you give us a real world example of why you'd use this, like what sort of object or surface would benefit from it.

gerardstrada
12-15-2013, 09:51 PM
Could you give us a real world example of why you'd use this, like what sort of object or surface would benefit from it.
Chanlum is not a physically-based shader, so its parameters are there to provide possibilities. Luminous is in fact a legacy parameter in the times when SSS + radiosity was not really viable (you wouldn't probably use it too much these days) but when radiosity is prohibitive, you could have used for example to add some ambience intensity for ice, sugar cubes, cheese, wax, juice, milk, clouds, etc. I used it with distance_to_object gradients to fake bounce light effect within the faked SSS effect, which is faster for animation.

Gerardo

imshadi
01-07-2014, 01:49 PM
The looks you can get with ChanLum can be very eye pleasing and without adding too much complexity. After all, it's not always about realism, most of the time it is about the appearance of realism or even better, about beauty... and I find that this kind of shader, even if it's a trick can get me where I want to go.

gerardstrada
01-07-2014, 03:31 PM
Totally agree with Oliver. Just to clarify when I said you wouldn't probably use it too much these days, I was referring to that specific parameter (Luminous), not the node itself. Use it all the time, it provides a wide range of results with very few parameters and its shading is very stable for animation.

Gerardo

3dworks
03-23-2014, 05:37 AM
i still wonder if someone will ever port this useful update again back to mac LW...
i'm also happy to pay a small fee for the compiling service!

...anyone? :-)

cheers

markus