PDA

View Full Version : mirror error problem

netstile123
01-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Hello, I was just playing around tonight and was working on a robot leg. Now for some reason when I when to mirror the leg it has moved the points around. This is just not going to work. I posted a pic and will see if I could leave a file of the model as well. Thanks.

Amurrell
01-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I did a merge points real quick before mirroring and got the same effect with your model. What's happening is that one of the loops is within tolerance for a merge, so when you mirror your object, uncheck the merge points box in the numeric panel and this won't happen.

110295 110296

djwaterman
01-08-2013, 10:39 PM
This is where a tool like DUniSlide comes in handy, I've been retro working an old car model where most of my edges had rows of shared points. So I've been going through it and sliding these point rows a micro amount so they keep the shape but don't share the same position in space. The above solution will fix it but you still have the shared points.

Surrealist.
01-09-2013, 07:18 AM
A good way to avoid shared edges is to not model with subpatches on. It is a very good habit to model in polymode and use the tab key to jump in and out of subpach mode. This is not a workaround and should never be thought of as such. In the beginning I think most of us get enamored with working the mesh like clay and seeing the immediate feedback. I know I did. And it took a while for me to develop the habit but now a days I don't even think about subpatches anymore. I simply model in polymode, set all my edge loops and then simply check every now and again to see what it is looking like smoothed. When you model with subpatches on it gives you a false feedback and edges can share the same space but look separate. You always want your edges to be separate. Not only that but your base model can wind up looking real bad when you model this way and for animation, weighing and rigging this can be a problem down the line. It is better to have a good clean base model.