PDA

View Full Version : Help modeling a product dispenser

torturebori007
01-04-2013, 09:24 PM
Guys im stumped on how to model this dispenser. See attached images.

It is corrugated(cardboard).
It has a custom cut out in front as the lid can be opened and closed.

The little creamer cup, see attached image, I have modeled some what, I am just confused on how to make the ridges on the sides.
(see image of box and look at the detail on the package)

Thanks,

Torturebori

XswampyX
01-05-2013, 06:47 AM
For number 1... Something like this?

http://youtu.be/s6wL5dbxm-Q

torturebori007
01-05-2013, 07:47 AM
XswampyX,

you are a mad genius. I have been giving this a go this morning see attached I got some where but not near as you did. I was getting close to something.

I will give your strategy a go. I used the tools you used, rounder then I solid drilled(stenciled) the front. Then I was a bit stuck again but you just got me on track.

I used thickener instead of copy object, flip poly's.

Thanks, I really appreciate this.

XswampyX
01-05-2013, 07:47 AM

Surrealist.
01-05-2013, 08:51 AM
For the ridges in the cup there are a few options.

But you could start with a disc that has enough sides to give you the ridges. This would be a flat disc that would be the bottom.

Bevel it in (b key short) so you'd have a ring basically with a solid disc in the middle. This is so later you could have the bottom rounded and also still have the ridges.

So now what you can do is make kind of a gear shape. Still flat, but you'd make teeth.

You could do this a number of ways. One is to take and select every other edge along the outside ring of the disc. Hit e for extender and then use the scale tool with action center set to selection. Scale it out.

That'd give you your teeth. The profile for your ridges.

Then take the whole thing and extrude. And then Scale up the top That'd give you a cup with some ridges.

The image above includes a few more steps where I added edge loops and so on. But you get the idea.

This is just a very basic approach to get you thinking.

If you were to use subdivision surfaces it could get more complicated.

What I did was simply add some edge loops and then scaled in part of the bottom so kind of round it off. For regular Sud D you'd want to make the bottom quads of course.

But this allows you to have the bottom rounded and gradually ease into the ridges like so:

And with another bevel and scale of the bottom polys you can get it a more gradual blend into the ridges like so:

And you could do this any number of ways and even have a cleaner mesh for subpatch. But this is just one quick approach.

And a finishing touch to the bottom:

torturebori007
01-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Here is what i have so far. Thanks to XswampyX.

Surrealist,

Thats what I was looking for. Thanks I will apply this and get back to show the result.

Thanks for the nice instructions as well

Surrealist.
01-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Cool, looking good so far.

XswampyX
01-06-2013, 03:25 AM
Yep. It does look good. :D Nice and sharp.

torturebori007
01-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks...now its off to texture it. Fingers crossed!!