PDA

View Full Version : Arnold render for Lightwave

Pages : [1] 2

juanjgon
01-03-2013, 03:18 PM
Hello Folks,

Maybe some of you have seen a video that I have made about animated mandelbulbs that use Lightwave 11 as host app and Arnold as render engine. I want to say that yes, this video was rendered with Arndol using my own Arnold plugin, a project that I call LWtoA. I want to add some facts about it ...

- LWtoA is a custom plugin that integrate Arnold seamless inside Layout 11, with near all features suported by Arnold, including for example interactive rendering, all Arnold shading nodes, all Arnold lights, etc. The plugin is near to be features complete, and it is also near to be as complete as oficial Solid Angle plugin for Maya or Softtimage.

- LWtoA is a personal project, it is not developed by Solid Angle and they don't support it. Of course Solid Angle team is aware about the project, but LWtoA is a personal project not designed by Solid Angle. Please don't ask them about this project.

- LWtoA is not going to be available at the moment. It is going to be available when Arnold leaves the closed beta state, and of course at this point it will need a long beta testing stage. As you know Arnold is currently only available for big studios.

Have fun and feel free to ask any question about LWtoA :) ... remember that Arnold is in closed beta under NDA and I can't talk about any details of engine itself ;)

https://vimeo.com/40443058
https://vimeo.com/40720491
https://vimeo.com/43833275
https://vimeo.com/51129309

-Juanjo

juanjgon
01-03-2013, 03:25 PM
More fun :)

https://vimeo.com/38708408
https://vimeo.com/37241013
https://vimeo.com/36405847
https://vimeo.com/35207003

-Juanjo

Ryste3d
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
What is this? RealFlow with VPR inside of Lightwave. Looks Cool!!!

3DGFXStudios
01-03-2013, 03:36 PM
This is awesome! :D

Waves of light
01-03-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't think I'll every get to use Arnold, but I have to say Juan, that is some mighty impressive work and very fast renders. The Madelbulb is a crazy scene to follow and I love the coke can animation. What was the render time on the Madelbulb animation, if you don't mind me asking?

m.d.
01-03-2013, 03:43 PM
Edit....double post...

this happens a lot nowadays ???

m.d.
01-03-2013, 03:47 PM
wow Jaun....

what are you on a personal crusade to fix all of lightwaves rendering options....

this is very impressive...and more important for the future of lightwave then even your octane plugin, as Arnold is becoming the major go to renderer for studios....

Nice work....if you have some spare time...why not integrate fluids into layout? Probably take you a weekend LOL
:)

BTW arnold seems freaking fast....

Lewis
01-03-2013, 03:51 PM
Juan is LWs "RenderGod". Awesome stuff Juan, keep u the good work :).

3DGFXStudios
01-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Just insane. I really like the nodal volume fog thingy's. The refelection blur and volumetric lights render so fast. Love it. I hope Arnold will be available for smaller studios soon. :D

m.d.
01-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Any idea when this plug would be available?
I realize we would need to be in the Arnold beta....but if your plug is soon available there may be a lot of emails to solid angle...

They are a strange company....the way Arnold is(not) marketed....I have been following them for years.....patiently waiting

50one
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Even tho i think you've done stellar job here, I'm somehow pesimistic about Arnold as it's only available to big studios and there's no signs on the horizon that this will change soon if ever, but I'll keep an eye on your updates:)

Best,
Simon

Netvudu
01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
Whoa....I wasn´t expecting this Juanjo. I´m speechless.
I do have some questions. Regarding the amazing video on the other thread....how exactly did you manage to have 250 million points in LW? ..or is it Arnold that has a rendering-time point instancer a la Krakatoa?
Also, now that you had some first-hand chance to compare both...how does Arnold perform compared to Lightwave native´s renderer? Where does it shine when compared to LW´s renderer in your opinion?

tyrot
01-03-2013, 04:35 PM
what the heck is going on here !!! JUAN - this time arnold ??!
holycow - look at this speed-
and look at this PERSONAL project... !!!

juanjgon
01-03-2013, 04:38 PM
I don't think I'll every get to use Arnold, but I have to say Juan, that is some mighty impressive work and very fast renders. The Madelbulb is a crazy scene to follow and I love the coke can animation. What was the render time on the Madelbulb animation, if you don't mind me asking?

Each frame needs about 5 minutes to compute the mandelbulb object and perhaps 3 minutes to render it. But this animation is rendered at x8 speed (I average 8 images for each frame to avoid particle flikering in the mandelbulb animation process)

-Juanjo

juanjgon
01-03-2013, 04:41 PM
Whoa....I wasn´t expecting this Juanjo. I´m speechless.
I do have some questions. Regarding the amazing video on the other thread....how exactly did you manage to have 250 million points in LW? ..or is it Arnold that has a rendering-time point instancer a la Krakatoa?
Also, now that you had some first-hand chance to compare both...how does Arnold perform compared to Lightwave native´s renderer? Where does it shine when compared to LW´s renderer in your opinion?

Mandelbulb is an Arnold procedural object, it is a .dll procedural loaded and rendered at render time, particles never exist inside Layout itself, you can only see a cube with the bounding box of the procedural.

Arnold is a incredible brute force raytracer, designed for VFX and animation industry. It is very easy to setup, there is no complex parameters to adjust, only sampling level, and render always is clear without artifacts and of course doesn't need any kind of precomputation. It is fantastic :)

-Juanjo

COBRASoft
01-03-2013, 04:43 PM
Looks amazing... Making render plugins is clearly your thing. I start to wonder what other magic you could bring to LW :D.

tyrot
01-03-2013, 04:51 PM
ıf you say it is fantastic ... IT IS FANTASTIC! :)
what is your CPU? HOW CRAZY fast this is!!

Tobian
01-03-2013, 05:01 PM
Woah, the fibre bit is pretty sweet!

Arnold is just weird... Why on earth is it in beta for so long now?

jasonwestmas
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I love you man but they don't sell this thing to mere mortals. Wish it would exit beta. :)

tyrot
01-03-2013, 05:16 PM
lets say if we buy ARNOLD - somehow solidangle says OK to that - can we BUY LWtoA from you? Or you just show those things for torturing our lonely small studio souls:)

juanjgon
01-03-2013, 05:23 PM
lets say if we buy ARNOLD - somehow solidangle says OK to that - can we BUY LWtoA from you? Or you just show those things for torturing our lonely small studio souls:)

If you are inside the Arnold beta, I have no problem to send the plugin to test it, remember that it has not been tested before and it is going to need a long time betatesting before it can be useful in production.

But it is really hard to enter in the Arnold beta if you are not a medium/big studio. Anyway perhaps this may change anytime soon ;)

-Juanjo

GraphXs
01-03-2013, 05:33 PM
WOW! Whatz next VRay?

jasonwestmas
01-03-2013, 06:12 PM
WOW! Whatz next VRay?

lol slow down there GraphX, this stuff takes a huge amount of testing and tweaking. :D

tyrot
01-03-2013, 06:56 PM
actually if you have ARNOLD plus OCTANE ... for LW (thanks to JUAN"THE ONE") do you really need VRAY for LW?

jasonwestmas
01-03-2013, 08:02 PM
Why would you think that Arnold plus Octane would cover all ground tyrot? Every render engine has limitations and unique strengths. Plus every animation package supports/doesn't support different features of the same render engine. More choices the better.

m.d.
01-03-2013, 10:32 PM
I agree Jason...the more the better....

But Arnold is the bomb....

geo_n
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
WOW! Whatz next VRay?

One can dream. Its more accessible to freelancers, small to medium studios. The resource available on the net is the biggest.
Might even attract users using other software to take a look at lightwave.

ivanze
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
After all Lightwave can connect to other render engines really fine.

Buen trabajo, Juan!!! Vas a hacer un LW_VRAY tambien? :)

jasonwestmas
01-03-2013, 11:43 PM
After all Lightwave can connect to other render engines really fine.

Buen trabajo, Juan!!! Vas a hacer un LW_VRAY tambien? :)

Yeah we'll see how well. :)

- - - Updated - - -

One can dream. Its more accessible to freelancers, small to medium studios. The resource available on the net is the biggest.
Might even attract users using other software to take a look at lightwave.

Far more support for vray now. Plus anyone can use and learn it now. When computers get even faster I'd want to know how to use pure raytracers like vray, arnold or maxwell.

Tobian
01-04-2013, 05:05 AM
vray is more accessible to us mere mortals though it's certainly less cheap than octane...

Now I know it won't be exact, but now you have both on one system I'd like to see how Arnold and Octane compare on the same scene. The GPU usually runs rings around any cpu in the same IPR i've seen, but arnold is heavilly optimised for only the CPU, and damned good at it... So make an exterior and an interior scene with lots of blury reflections and recursions and tricky lights (the kind of scene which blotches to hell or makes never-clean grain in LW) and fire them off and record how they compare! Not just a sky + sun light + white diffuse, that even LW peforms well at :-)

50one
01-04-2013, 05:18 AM
vray is more accessible to us mere mortals though it's certainly less cheap than octane...

Now I know it won't be exact, but now you have both on one system I'd like to see how Arnold and Octane compare on the same scene. The GPU usually runs rings around any cpu in the same IPR i've seen, but arnold is heavilly optimised for only the CPU, and damned good at it... So make an exterior and an interior scene with lots of blury reflections and recursions and tricky lights (the kind of scene which blotches to hell or makes never-clean grain in LW) and fire them off and record how they compare! Not just a sky + sun light + white diffuse, that even LW peforms well at :-)

I agree, Armold is sweet, but in the land of Lightwave i can only see few folks that could benefit from it, rest of us - freelancers or small studios can only dream about it. I do have a vray license so a vray connection would be more than welcome:)

HenrikSkoglund
01-04-2013, 05:33 AM
EEEEEEEEEEEeeeee? :bowdown:

HOLY CHIHUAHUA!!!!

Mac? How much?

Hail
01-04-2013, 05:39 AM
Holy SMoKkkeS!!!
This is too good to be true.. Some one please help me out here, is this really happening or am I hallucinating again? :D

50one
01-04-2013, 05:48 AM
Please guys, be honest, how many of you works in a studio that got/ can obtain a license of Arnold?

Tobian
01-04-2013, 06:07 AM
right now I can't even afford Octane so for me it's just academic. :-) Just fascinated to see how the best unbiased cpu renderer shapes up vs the best GPU renderer :-)

HenrikSkoglund
01-04-2013, 06:16 AM
Please guys, be honest, how many of you works in a studio that got/ can obtain a license of Arnold?

Actually, how much does a license of this cost?

50one
01-04-2013, 06:20 AM
Actually, how much does a license of this cost?

No one knows:D You can enter into Beta cycle if Solid Angle will approve you/your studio [last time I checked - it was minimum purchase of 25 seats - but maybe something changed since then]...

HenrikSkoglund
01-04-2013, 06:39 AM
No one knows:D You can enter into Beta cycle if Solid Angle will approve you/your studio [last time I checked - it was minimum purchase of 25 seats - but maybe something changed since then]...

Oh... ok. That could be a strategy to keep it controlled during beta though. Or, hopefully that's the case anyway ;)

Lewis
01-04-2013, 06:42 AM
Since this plugin is not developed by SolidAngle but Juan is developing it on it's own maybe they will make exception for LW user sin future and allow single license users (otherwise it has little sense to LW community 'coz nowdays you can hardly find many Lw studios with more than 25 licenses using LW to render). since they aren't offering any official support it would be fair form them to allow Single license purchases so that Juan can sell plugin, Now, how much would that cost is tricky, I have no idea but consider how much FPRIMe cost(ed) (more than half of LW price back then) it might still be market for such thing(s) even in Lw market :).

rcallicotte
01-04-2013, 07:03 AM
Juan, first thanks! And then the question we're all wondering - is this months away? Or weeks?

Most importantly, why would the Octane renderer for Lightwave even cross our minds with this wonder in the possible future?

tyrot
01-04-2013, 07:21 AM
tobian - i guess Arnold looks really faster than Octane - ... Of course only JUAN can be the judge..
Arnold quality and speed simply breathtaking..

Tobian
01-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Arnold is the reason I question a lot of the guff about GPU renderers :) But it's easy to build test scenarios which make something look good, so yeah, it would be awesome to see how they compare in a real world scenaro!

HenrikSkoglund
01-04-2013, 07:42 AM
I'm still in some kind of a fuzzy-render-bubble here dreaming away... gotta get back to reality or I might have to rob a bank or something ;)

jasonwestmas
01-04-2013, 07:50 AM
I'm still in some kind of a fuzzy-render-bubble here dreaming away... gotta get back to reality or I might have to rob a bank or something ;)

HAHAA! Seriously.

juanjgon
01-04-2013, 08:36 AM
A lot of questions here :)

First, Octane is a powerful low cost GPU render engine. I can tell you that if you have a good GPU Octane is as fast than Arnold using pure brute force raytracing (both engines are brute force unbiased raytracers), and if you have for example two or three or four GPUs Octane is really a lot faster than Arnold, and you only need one license :)

Arnold target are VFX or animation studios that need to manage complex pipelines and complex scenes with big texture maps, a lot of buffers, powerful custom shaders, proxy or procedural objects (like mandelbulbs), custom APIs, hair and fur, volumetrics, etc. Octane is a great engine for all kind of users, freelancers, small studios, hobbyst, etc. but it is much simpler than Arnold.

They are both powerful, but they are not comparable in any way ... for example each Arnold license costs like several Octane license, and you need one for each CPU render node.

And Octane is going to be avaliable soon, in few months ... Arnold is a long term project for LW. LW is going to be the cheaper option to work with Arnold when it is available, and perhaps the only one out of Autodesk world (perhaps Houdiny is also going to have an official Arnold plugin)

-Juanjo

juanjgon
01-04-2013, 08:42 AM
Anyway I can tell you that perhaps soon Arnold is going to be available for a wide users base, with single licenses availability and so on ... LWtoA is a project for the future, to be sure that LW is going to be of the top of 3D app list used by VFX and animation industry :)

-Juanjo

rcallicotte
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Thanks Juan. Your response is, like usual, very generous.

A lot of questions here :)

First, Octane is a powerful low cost GPU render engine. I can tell you that if you have a good GPU Octane is as fast than Arnold using pure brute force raytracing (both engines are brute force unbiased raytracers), and if you have for example two or three or four GPUs Octane is really a lot faster than Arnold, and you only need one license :)

Arnold target are VFX or animation studios that need to manage complex pipelines and complex scenes with big texture maps, a lot of buffers, powerful custom shaders, proxy or procedural objects (like mandelbulbs), custom APIs, hair and fur, volumetrics, etc. Octane is a great engine for all kind of users, freelancers, small studios, hobbyst, etc. but it is much simpler than Arnold.

They are both powerful, but they are not comparable in any way ... for example each Arnold license costs like several Octane license, and you need one for each CPU render node.

And Octane is going to be avaliable soon, in few months ... Arnold is a long term project for LW. LW is going to be the cheaper option to work with Arnold when it is available, and perhaps the only one out of Autodesk world (perhaps Houdiny is also going to have an official Arnold plugin)

-Juanjo

allabulle
01-04-2013, 04:34 PM
Thanks for your impressions on the matter, Juanjo. Oh, and nice job, as always. :)

50one
01-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Anyway I can tell you that perhaps soon Arnold is going to be available for a wide users base, with single licenses availability and so on ... LWtoA is a project for the future, to be sure that LW is going to be of the top of 3D app list used by VFX and animation industry :)

-Juanjo

That sound interesting! Thanks for your work!

HenrikSkoglund
01-05-2013, 03:11 AM

-Juanjo

We love you! ;)

Waves of light
01-05-2013, 03:37 AM
Each frame needs about 5 minutes to compute the mandelbulb object and perhaps 3 minutes to render it. But this animation is rendered at x8 speed (I average 8 images for each frame to avoid particle flikering in the mandelbulb animation process)

-Juanjo

Wow. Thanks for the info.

I'm a freelancer, so Octane or Vray for me, I could only dream of purchasing Arnold right now.

khan973
01-12-2013, 03:17 PM
I would be very interested in knowing what Arnold (and also Octane) offer in terms of shaders / passes.
I'm very curious actually! Can you share some informations on that note?

juanjgon
01-12-2013, 05:40 PM
I would be very interested in knowing what Arnold (and also Octane) offer in terms of shaders / passes.
I'm very curious actually! Can you share some informations on that note?

Passes is something that must be supported by host application or by the plugin. Arnold API of course has all needed to support any kind of passes

This is a example video about the shading passes I have added to LWtoA, with them you can store inside each object more than one shading state, and later you can render any shading pass or override passes in each object.

https://vimeo.com/41344739

-Juanjo

erikals
01-13-2013, 02:20 AM
Octane, soon Kray3, Arnold....

good times :jam:

HenrikSkoglund
01-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Octane, soon Kray3, Arnold....

good times :jam:

Kray 3 soon? Nice to hear, sorry if this is off topic, but is it known what is new with this version?

3DGFXStudios
01-13-2013, 04:37 AM
Cool way to control passes with nodes.

erikals
01-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Kray 3 soon? Nice to hear, sorry if this is off topic, but is it known what is new with this version?
http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/forum/index.php?f=3&t=2604&rb_v=viewtopic :hey:

Danner
01-13-2013, 10:28 AM
Juanjgon what kind of CPU are you using with arnold? We just invested in a couple monster dual 8core Xeons, it sucks that Arnold would need two licences for each but I bet they would really make it sing.

juanjgon
01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Juanjgon what kind of CPU are you using with arnold? We just invested in a couple monster dual 8core Xeons, it sucks that Arnold would need two licences for each but I bet they would really make it sing.

I am using a i7 quad 4.0 Ghz. for all demos and in my render farm. Anrold needs a license for each render node, it has not core limits currently. For you monster node you only need one Arnold license.

-Juanjo

Danner
01-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh! ok thanx! this is what got me confused
"They are both powerful, but they are not comparable in any way ... for example each Arnold license costs like several Octane license, and you need one for each CPU render node."

Because I have two CPUs I thought I would need two licences. But each machine is counted as render node no matter how many CPUs. Can't wait for Arnold to be available to the masses.

fab_69_3d
01-17-2013, 05:05 AM
arnold was a myth few years ago, only big compagny used it for there productions
as sony pictures for "monster house" and all sony pictures animation from this period.
but if i m right only a "little" french but talented studio could use this render engine on maya, mikros image.

i m so exciting to see all the lightwave community open to this new renders.

and above all, even i m a old lightwaver (more than 15 years) i feel so rooky to see this new waves.

thank you "Juanjo" cause you are an alien for me :bowdown: (in the good sense). how you can do the octane render plug in and the arnold plug in in same time (and maybe others projects more that i doesn t know).

i m beta user of octane "user:geronimo" and i try to help the group to involve and make lightwave one of the first place of this 3d industry (autodesk sucks to be only the one, even if his products are great, lightwave deserve to re-conquer his place).

thank you a lot, and give us some more informations about your work and great videos on your vimeo channel.

fabien

ps: sorry for my english i will not re read to correct some mistakes :neener:

lardbros
01-17-2013, 06:32 AM
Great, and rather impressive stuff here Juanjo!! Seriously cool and exciting stuff... maybe SolidAngle will support the LW version when you've done your incredible work on it?? :D

juanjgon
01-19-2013, 04:30 PM
BTW ... do you know that with the FXPhd ARN101: Introduction to Arnold course you get access to Arnold? ... if anybody is making this course and want to test LWtoA, there is no problem at all :) ... with .DLLs inside the Maya or Softimage plugins, you can run LWtoA.

Anyway ask before sign in to be sure that there is no problem with this.

-Juanjo

lardbros
01-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Oooh, interesting tip there juanjgon! Not that I'm planning on doing the course or anything... but sure there are some that might be! :D

fab_69_3d
01-21-2013, 04:55 AM
hey juanjo,
could you tell us what you think about this engine render, globally, what are his strongs points and his weaknesses.

It will be very interesting to know what you think about the differences and possibilities beetween this CPU render (if i don't make a mistake) and the GPU render engines, like octane (for example) or iray etc... and maybe above all, what is your analysis about all this new render engine wave cause you are really implicated inside.

of course if you have time to reply between all your incredibles stuffs u re making.

thank you

juanjgon
01-21-2013, 06:14 AM
hey juanjo,
could you tell us what you think about this engine render, globally, what are his strongs points and his weaknesses.

It will be very interesting to know what you think about the differences and possibilities beetween this CPU render (if i don't make a mistake) and the GPU render engines, like octane (for example) or iray etc... and maybe above all, what is your analysis about all this new render engine wave cause you are really implicated inside.

of course if you have time to reply between all your incredibles stuffs u re making.

thank you

Both Arnold and Octane are unbiased render engines, but it's architecture and target market are really different.

Arnold is a CPU render who can manage huge data sets (both geometry and textures), it has a powerful API to write plugins, shaders, procedural objects, etc. It has a strong buffers support, command line render to support huge renderfarms, it is rock solid (more than 10 years in development and production) ... it's design has been made to solve VFX and animation projects. Arnold is not cheap, and user needs a license for each render node.

Octane is a GPU render, very powerful and fast. It can work with only one license in a very powerful computer with up to 16 GPUs and render one image with all this computing power in realtime in it's IPR window. It also has nice shaders and lighting tools, bidirectional path tracing, powerful instancing, etc. It is designed for more general market (individuals, small or medium studios, hobbyist, etc.). It is cheap and fast and can run in a computer with enough GPUs to solve a lot of productions with less money, less electrical power and less cooling in the room :)

-Juanjo

fab_69_3d
01-21-2013, 06:52 AM
Both Arnold and Octane are unbiased render engines, but it's architecture and target market are really different.

Arnold is a CPU render who can manage huge data sets (both geometry and textures), it has a powerful API to write plugins, shaders, procedural objects, etc. It has a strong buffers support, command line render to support huge renderfarms, it is rock solid (more than 10 years in development and production) ... it's design has been made to solve VFX and animation projects. Arnold is not cheap, and user needs a license for each render node.

Octane is a GPU render, very powerful and fast. It can work with only one license in a very powerful computer with up to 16 GPUs and render one image with all this computing power in realtime in it's IPR window. It also has nice shaders and lighting tools, bidirectional path tracing, powerful instancing, etc. It is designed for more general market (individuals, small or medium studios, hobbyist, etc.). It is cheap and fast and can run in a computer with enough GPUs to solve a lot of productions with less money, less electrical power and less cooling in the room :)

-Juanjo

thanks a lot for this reply
respect :bowdown:

what is the cost of arnold approximativly?

juanjgon
01-21-2013, 08:10 AM
thanks a lot for this reply
respect :bowdown:

what is the cost of arnold approximativly?

I can't speak about costs (all is under NDA), but it is not cheap ;)

-Juanjo

jwiede
01-21-2013, 08:14 AM
I can't speak about costs (all is under NDA), but it is not cheap ;)
Hehe, I doubt it can even see "cheap" from where it's standing. ;)

inakito
01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
Fantastic, cant wait to get hold of it! ;)
Keep thiss lovely work

geo_n
01-30-2013, 08:15 PM
Some nice discussion about arnold. Pricing, actual experience from users.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1079702&page=4&pp=15&highlight=arnold

juanjgon
01-31-2013, 02:15 AM
Some nice discussion about arnold. Pricing, actual experience from users.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=2&t=1079702&page=4&pp=15&highlight=arnold

Yes, nice discussion there.

-Juanjo

3DGFXStudios
01-31-2013, 04:13 AM
It's not really as expensive as I thought. mmm

Lewis
01-31-2013, 04:17 AM
It's not really as expensive as I thought. mmm

How much is it then ?

50one
01-31-2013, 04:20 AM
Euro900 per license

Lewis
01-31-2013, 04:24 AM
900 EUR ?

Hmm that seems cheaper than Vray then.

50one
01-31-2013, 04:27 AM
900 EUR ?

hmmm, not sure if you compare the features / learning materials availability. ...Oh, and usually is the 5 licenses you need to buy:D but that's not always is the case, worth to ask them directly.

juanjgon
01-31-2013, 04:38 AM
900 EUR ?

Anyway the best way is ask them. You need a license for each render node. Beta versions are free, and also currently you don't need a license to run the interactive render while setup scenes (it is rendered with a watermark)

-Juanjo

geo_n
01-31-2013, 06:36 AM
900 EUR ?

That's 900 euro per node/ license for arnold though. You have 20 pc you need 20 license.
Vray for max has unlimited network render nodes through backburner like lightwave. For distributed render feature its 10 nodes. Distributed render is super useful for test renders or to render one image with 10 machines at once.
Actual users that can install one vray license is unlimited too afaik in a network as long as you close the render panel and the pc with the dongle is always on. :D

The idea I like about arnold is the ease of use. Vray is pretty much one of the easiest render to use with quick results but fprime is easier with only less than 5 settings to tinker. Arnold is the same as fprime but with results better than vray in some cases. Should be interesting.

Lewis
01-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Yeah i know how licensing per node works i just expected to be much higher 'coz everyone was talking about how pricey Arnold is. granted if you need renderfarm then it'll be pricey but sometime even spending days with baking GI/preparing scenes for biased network rendering and stuff can be frustrating and time consuming so maybe unbiased is going to save time/money eventually :D.

geo_n
01-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Sure its cheaper to buy fast rendernodes now than to hire rendermonkeys. Probably the reason why some studios prefer arnold to renderman.
Now that is an expensive renderer, and more complex than arnold.

The arnold users mention that arnold slows down a lot with transparency. Its also not good for scenes with enclosed spaces. Its better for exterior scenes. Hmm...

Tobian
01-31-2013, 07:25 AM
to be fair *all*'renderers suffer under those scenarios, not just Arnold...

juanjgon
02-02-2013, 04:35 AM
Arnold showreel January 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYPelZW8mMQ

-Juanjo

50one
02-02-2013, 04:46 AM
Arnold showreel January 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYPelZW8mMQ

-Juanjo

Lots of sexy renders in that reel, thanks for posting!

Simon

jasonwestmas
02-02-2013, 08:48 AM
yes, I definitely see even finer details and lighting in the unbiased rendering.

luis7654
02-25-2013, 02:39 PM
BTW ... do you know that with the FXPhd ARN101: Introduction to Arnold course you get access to Arnold? ... if anybody is making this course and want to test LWtoA, there is no problem at all :) ... with .DLLs inside the Maya or Softimage plugins, you can run LWtoA.

Anyway ask before sign in to be sure that there is no problem with this.

-Juanjo

Hello Juanjo, I have the beta for softimage is there any chance you can tell me how to use it with lightwave? I'll really appreciate it, I want to try it and see how well it works with lightwave.

juanjgon
02-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Hello Juanjo, I have the beta for softimage is there any chance you can tell me how to use it with lightwave? I'll really appreciate it, I want to try it and see how well it works with lightwave.

Please, send a email to me at [email protected] ... I have no problem to send the current beta build to any LW user with access to Arnold beta.

-Juanjo

luis7654
02-25-2013, 02:53 PM
Please, send a email to me at [email protected] ... I have no problem to send the current beta build to any LW user with access to Arnold beta.

-Juanjo

Great! Thanks I just sent you an email.

juanjgon
02-26-2013, 06:47 AM
I have created a Facebook page where I want to post all old and new news about LWtoA:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Arnold-renderer-for-Lightwave/107339726119625

-Juanjo

juanjgon
02-26-2013, 08:19 AM
Animation rendered some time ago with early alpha version of LWtoA.
https://vimeo.com/40881923

-Juanjo

Tobian
02-26-2013, 08:28 AM
Yeah been seeing your excellent work on FB, very nice work!

jasonwestmas
02-26-2013, 09:43 AM
wow, nice golf course, makes me want to go golfing. Reminds me what the sport is partly about, nice scenery. Anyway, the renders definitely stand out.

ActionBob
02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Speaking of fancy renderers and those that are within the price range of average joes..... Anyone have any news on when the version of Octane for Lightwave will be available? The last thing noted about it was they were looking for beta testers... I am interested in a more integrated solution. The stand alone version is affordable enough, but I would really like to consolidate and have something that plays nice with lightwave.... Anyone? Bueller????

-Adrian

juanjgon
02-26-2013, 11:04 AM
Speaking of fancy renderers and those that are within the price range of average joes..... Anyone have any news on when the version of Octane for Lightwave will be available? The last thing noted about it was they were looking for beta testers... I am interested in a more integrated solution. The stand alone version is affordable enough, but I would really like to consolidate and have something that plays nice with lightwave.... Anyone? Bueller????

-Adrian

Octane for Lightwave is going to be released soon (in few weeks) as 1.0 beta version.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131666-Octane-render-for-Lightwave

-Juanjo

ActionBob
02-26-2013, 11:15 AM
Arnold DOES look fantastic, but Octane is priced to just play around with. I do the occasional contract work, but Lightwave and the whole CS 6 production suite is more of an expensive hobby.... :-) Thanks for the info Juanjgon! Also, great work on your plugin and your vids do look fantastic. No Arnold for me.. Not until I do more work to justify the expense. :-)

bazsa73
02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
This is all supercool but I just rendered a scene with LW11.5 and I see noticable improvement. Much less flicker than earlier.
But Octane sounds interesting. Arnold is heavy artillery, I'm a CGI sniper :)

lardbros
02-26-2013, 03:58 PM
LOVE that golf course render... absolutely stunning. Was all the DoF rendered 'in-camera'?

juanjgon
02-26-2013, 04:02 PM
LOVE that golf course render... absolutely stunning. Was all the DoF rendered 'in-camera'?

Thanks, yes ... DOF is rendered using Arnold, no DOF post here.

-Juanjo

lardbros
02-26-2013, 04:33 PM
Very, very nice indeed!! :D Got a bit giddy watching it... can we get that into the LW showreel somehow?? :D

I know it's slightly off topic, but how did you generate the terrain for that course? Did you have Lidar, or DEM data or something?

jasonwestmas
03-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Even tho i think you've done stellar job here, I'm somehow pesimistic about Arnold as it's only available to big studios and there's no signs on the horizon that this will change soon if ever, but I'll keep an eye on your updates:)

Best,
Simon

Well, Arnie is still in beta, so I wouldn't make that assumption until it reaches a version 1.0 non-beta. yes I know it's been in beta for a long time now. :) Come to think of it, I'd probably just go with the CPU renderer like this one until the GPUs come down in price. Yes I'm aware of the prices of the software but hardware pricing matters too.

And hey if I'm wrong about this I enjoy being corrected ;)

OFF
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Let us not forget of such an instrument as TheaRender (http://thearender.com/cms/) - it is also anbias renderer, but much more affordable, seemingly comes out plugin for Modo,
and it seems someone already interested from Juan if he could write a plug-in LW:

"I actually asked Juan J. Gonzalez recently if he could be interested to do a Thea integration.
He does the Lightwave integration of Octane currently and also integrated Arnold all on his own.
Very impressive work.
He has a lot to do but said he would at least think about it..."
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1549&p=81990#p81990

nemac4
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Let us not forget of such an instrument as TheaRender (http://thearender.com/cms/) - it is also anbias renderer, but much more affordable, seemingly comes out plugin for Modo,
and it seems someone already interested from Juan if he could write a plug-in LW:

I use TheaRender as well.. it is a nice alternative to Maxwell.

m.d.
03-07-2013, 05:08 PM
i was looking into Thea while octane was stagnating.....
Very good stuff...high tech

Megalodon2.0
03-07-2013, 05:42 PM
I am certainly hoping that Arnold will be coming out of beta soon - later this year.

And Arnold for LW would be... excellent!

OFF
03-10-2013, 08:29 PM
Corona Renderer - free, super fast, no memory limits:
http://youtu.be/k_o-pPMxxlc

OFF
03-11-2013, 04:17 AM
luxrender:
LuxRender is a physically based and unbiased rendering engine. Based on state of the art algorithms,
LuxRender simulates the flow of light according to physical equations, thus producing realistic images of photographic quality.

Note from developer:
Why no Lightwave exporter!!??
RonB

by J the Ninja » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:04 pm
Because no one has stepped up to make one. We're an all-volunteer outfit here. None of us are paid to do this,
we have jobs, school, or both and work on Lux as a hobby. If you want one, make one or look for someone who is interested in doing it.

So, there are some good third-party renderers, who managed to get a plug-in to many popular applications, and many of them are free.
But while these renderers look very competitive in comparison even with the monsters of the industry, for example VRay and Arion - such as Corona Render (http://youtu.be/5HqtADeRYf4) and Lux Render (http://www.luxrender.net/en_GB/index).
It is sad that there is a trend on which many useful innovations sidestep Lightwave.

Hail
03-11-2013, 04:27 AM
What about Vray?
No one is interested? isn't it a shame lw still hasn't got Vray support even though its been well established for so many years?
Almost every major 3d app has it except lw:(, heck! even blender does!
I don't understand this, of all the 3d apps on earth WHY single out and drop lw? why??

jwiede
03-11-2013, 05:04 AM
I don't understand this, of all the 3d apps on earth WHY single out and drop lw? why??
You're looking at it "backwards": The problem isn't LW being "singled out", it's that nobody's "opted in" to make a LW-compatible version of Vray, just as with Lux. Not all the Vray integrations were originally made by ChaosGroup, some were third-parties working to get it on their platform of choice (like VrayForC4D by LaubLab). They bought a license to port the integration (and sell it), then did the integration development externally.

The reason LW doesn't have one is because no developer has been willing (so far) to invest time and money to buy a license from ChaosGroup and develop Vray integration for LW -- ofc. that requires a developer to believe the potential market from sales is worth the up-front investment, and can afford that upfront investment as well.

khan973
03-11-2013, 05:17 AM
What if we made a Kickstarter project that would cover the cost of the license and a part of Juan's time? :)
Let's say if you participate to a certain amount, you get it for free when it's released, or a discount based on the amount you give?

I've never seen any Kickstarter for a LW plugin and that would be a great way to see if there is a market amongst LW users.
What you guys think?
Do you think it's a great idea Juan? Right now you're the only one I can think about to make something like that with the features, VRAY materials support and in a decent time.

OFF
03-11-2013, 05:19 AM
I am certainly do not Juan, but I think that a wonderful idea!

juanjgon
03-11-2013, 05:24 AM
There is no way for me. I tried several times to get the VRay SDK without luck. Later I begin with Arnold and Octane and not tried to get it again.

Two options:
- Chaos is working in the plugin for Lightwave (or somebody else is working on it).
- Chaos doesn't want that LW may have VRay, or they think that support it for a low users base is not a good idea.

-Juanjo

khan973
03-11-2013, 05:32 AM
Fast answer! I sent you an email a few minutes ago.
Do you think it could possibly be AD paying them to block it from LW? without being paranoid, it happens a lot in different industries.
As for LightWave's user base, without having the numbers, considering the improvements, the amount of new people in the forum, I thing it grew so it might worth trying again. If you don't do it, I can hardly see anybody else doing it...
It has taken many years since Kray for somebody to work on a rendering engine and you have worked on 2 of them!

And maybe a kickstarter project would help Chaos Group guys to change their mind...

50one
03-11-2013, 05:55 AM
There is no way for me. I tried several times to get the VRay SDK without luck. Later I begin with Arnold and Octane and not tried to get it again.

Two options:
- Chaos is working in the plugin for Lightwave (or somebody else is working on it).
- Chaos doesn't want that LW may have VRay, or they think that support it for a low users base is not a good idea.

-Juanjo

I think it may be in the works, as some folks tried to contact Chaos earlier on regarding plug for Lightwave and their answer was "We will look into creating a bridge to LW if there's enough interest" or something, so that might be the reason, besides have you discussed the Arnold/Octane situation with LW Group prior to Siggraph? Cause Rob said that there are other renderers comin' during the Siggy;)

OFF
03-11-2013, 05:56 AM
VRay is certainly a kind of standard, but many people think there is time for renderers such as Corona and Arnold - many forums architects and visualizers are long discussion comparing VRay, Mental Ray renderers and a new generation of renderers, which is easier and less costly to configure and better optimized for rendering large projects.

khan973
03-11-2013, 06:01 AM
I don't think unbiased renderers suit Archviz best. It produces grain and long time renders due to the bounces and lots of reflections.
I might be wrong but it seems like biased renderers let you choose better the right balance between render time and quality.
Maxwell produces great renders when you have a crazy computer and lots of time.

jwiede
03-11-2013, 08:10 AM
What if we made a Kickstarter project that would cover the cost of the license and a part of Juan's time? :)
As has been discussed many times before, the problem with kickstarter for plugins is you need a working prototype version of the project _before_ you can ask for money.

Lewis
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
As has been discussed many times before, the problem with kickstarter for plugins is you need a working prototype version of the project _before_ you can ask for money.

and SDK to actually work on it and since they won't give it there is no solution tho this. I think NT should officially ask what's the deal here, why they don't want VRAY for LW.

OFF
03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/03/eye-candy-the-vfx-of-our-lady-of-lourdes/

Indie writer-director-VFX-supervisor Peter Szewczyk has just posted an impressive one-minute VFX clip from his latest live-action short, Our Lady of Lourdes.

We covered Szewczyk’s last film, the nine-minute ColourBleed, when it was released in 2011, but Our Lady of Lourdes goes a couple of notches better, clocking in at over 20 minutes.

Szewyczk himself put down half the money for the film, which stars Terra Nova’s Naomi Scott, raising the remaining $20,000 from a Kickstarter campaign.

Rendered with Arnold
Central to the success of the VFX work was Solid Angle’s Arnold raytrace renderer, which Szewyczk adopted midway through production. As he told CG Channel:

“We had blocked out about four months to do the VFX work for the film. With about 40 shots to get through, I wasn’t too worried about the schedule at first. However, after the first two or three weeks, there was a growing concern about the rendering bottleneck that was looming on the horizon.”

“I had just started developing the look of the creatures and environments, and already, the overnight render tests were coming back incomplete. I was still nowhere near the level of complexity that I wanted, and yet the render times were going through the roof.”
“About this time Marcos [Fajardo] from Solid Angle contacted me after seeing a video for my Kickstarter campaign detailing the project. I was very familiar with Arnold, and had already requested that studios use it for some of my commercial work, but nothing had ever materialised.

“It seemed now, at quite a crucial time, Arnold had become an option. Twenty-four hours after I had unpacked the software, I already managed to port over my shaders, rebuild the look, and render out an entire shot overnight. There was virtually no learning curve at all.”

‘Flat-out incredible’ rendering performance
“With most renderers I’ve come to know, there is usually something that will just grind the software to a halt, but with Arnold, I would keep increasing the complexity, turning on more and more features, and it would still power right through the frame. The real stunner, however, came when I started using it to render fur.”

“The fact that I could raytrace multiple area lights and have them bounce multiple times and that I could crank the number of hairs into the millions just left me speechless. No crashes. No huge memory drain. The way Arnold handled lighting hair was flat-out incredible.”

“I’ve been lighting fur since Puss in Boots on Shrek 2 and have done more fur shots than I care to name, and I have never seen software plow through hair rendering as well as Arnold.”

“Oh, and I should probably mention – perhaps the most astounding fact of all – this was all done on my Sony laptop. In fact, 99% of Our Lady Of Lourdes was rendered on a consumer laptop, using Arnold.”

Our Lady of Lourdes is now complete, and will be released on the film festival circuit this year.

50one
03-11-2013, 01:01 PM
I wish that Arnold will get released soon...(I've been saying this for at least past 12 months haha) it may be lots of marketing talk as all renderers are quite fast if you don't have micropoly displacement and lots of refraction, I've ben using modo renderer for the past year and I must say it's really fast, even the previewer is smokin on moderate hardware with GI turned on.

jasonwestmas
03-11-2013, 01:13 PM
+1 for modo render for LW :D nodal of course.

50one
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM

Haha, I think we're 10 times more likely to find the Arnold renderer added to every pack of Cheeto's.

allabulle
03-11-2013, 05:18 PM

Ouch!

medzo
06-02-2013, 04:31 AM
hey juanjo

How are things going with arnold renderer?

juanjgon
06-02-2013, 02:45 PM
hey juanjo

How are things going with arnold renderer?

LWtoA is going to be updated to all new Arnold features and continue it's development in the second half of the year. I want to add to it all the new features and the deep integration that we can see inside the Octane plugin, and make LWotA a strong plugin to use Arnold in production when it will be more wide available.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
07-15-2013, 04:48 PM
New feature for LWtoA: photometric IES lights

-Juanjo

Lewis
07-16-2013, 12:22 AM
New feature for LWtoA: photometric IES lights

-Juanjo

Ahh, that's excellent update Juan :).

BTW does it have button somewhere for WEB/Info of IES light ? and does it load IES only or LDT also ?

juanjgon
07-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Ahh, that's excellent update Juan :).

BTW does it have button somewhere for WEB/Info of IES light ? and does it load IES only or LDT also ?

This light can initially load IESNA LM-63 photometric data from IES files.

-Juanjo

Megalodon2.0
07-16-2013, 02:26 AM
Juanjo, do you have any idea when Arnold will be released to the general public? I know that if you want 5 seats they'll sell them to you, it would just be great to be able to purchase one - at least to begin with.

juanjgon
07-16-2013, 02:42 AM
Juanjo, do you have any idea when Arnold will be released to the general public? I know that if you want 5 seats they'll sell them to you, it would just be great to be able to purchase one - at least to begin with.

I think that currently if you want to buy single licenses they sell them without problems, even I think that now it is more easy to get access to the beta demo release. You can try to email them to see what happens.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
07-18-2013, 11:08 AM
New feature: the Arnold native physical_sky shader, that works like an HDRI evironment map using the skydome lighting and importance sampling.

-Juanjo

Megalodon2.0
07-18-2013, 01:34 PM
I think that currently if you want to buy single licenses they sell them without problems, even I think that now it is more easy to get access to the beta demo release. You can try to email them to see what happens.

-Juanjo
As soon as I can save about $1k for a license I will email them. Hopefully soon. :)

Netvudu
07-18-2013, 04:33 PM
that´s brilliant Juanjo

allabulle
07-18-2013, 06:05 PM
New feature: the Arnold native physical_sky shader, that works like an HDRI evironment map using the skydome lighting and importance sampling.

-Juanjo

0.0 seconds? That was fast! :)
Seriously, I really want to try that renderer. Please Juanjo do keep on developing the plug-in. We'll catch up eventually.

realgray
07-21-2013, 01:05 AM

-Juanjo

Sweet!

realgray
07-21-2013, 01:09 AM
The new Arnold Reel is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MJ9lbKF2-U

COBRASoft
07-21-2013, 02:31 AM
OOOoooOOO

Phil
07-21-2013, 10:16 AM

-Juanjo

I extended PassPort to handle Kray (although got no interest when I asked for testers). I am curious what it might take to enable similar support for Arnold (assuming that one can use Arnold under LWSN). Is there a way to configure your plugin without Arnold installed so that I can see how settings in the scene file react and to then implement support?

khan973
07-21-2013, 03:18 PM
I extended PassPort to handle Kray (although got no interest when I asked for testers). I am curious what it might take to enable similar support for Arnold (assuming that one can use Arnold under LWSN). Is there a way to configure your plugin without Arnold installed so that I can see how settings in the scene file react and to then implement support?

What what Phil? WHat do you mean bu extended PassPort to handle Kray?
COuld you eplain a little bit?

juanjgon
07-21-2013, 04:41 PM

Hi Phil ... sorry, currently is not possible run the plugin without the Octane core libs. You need to be an Arnold beta tester or costumer to install it.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
07-21-2013, 04:43 PM
All Arnold light sources with all it's parameters are now supported inside LWtoA. Really powerful set of tools for lighting ;)

-Juanjo

Megalodon2.0
07-21-2013, 04:53 PM
All Arnold light sources with all it's parameters are now supported inside LWtoA. Really powerful set of tools for lighting ;)

-Juanjo

Getting better and better and better!

Albertdup
07-22-2013, 12:24 AM
Thats awesome cant wait to test it! IES is going to make a huge difference with the stuff I do. Oh mesh lights, thats going to rock.

Phil
07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
What what Phil? WHat do you mean bu extended PassPort to handle Kray?
COuld you eplain a little bit?

I have a version of Passport that allows you to override any of its settings for any pass with Kray as the renderer, just like it's possible to override various LW renderer settings. Unfortunately, I got zero responses to the request for testers.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133227-Passport-Renewed-1-0&p=1314834&viewfull=1#post1314834

Hail
07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
Feel some more Arnold goodness :)
http://vimeo.com/groups/137833/videos/59736707

khan973
07-23-2013, 01:09 AM
[QUOTE=Phil;1333134]I have a version of Passport that allows you to override any of its settings for any pass with Kray as the renderer, just like it's possible to override various LW renderer settings. Unfortunately, I got zero responses to the request for testers.

Thanks, I'm interested in testing it.
I'll get a look into it. could you point me the last version please?

erikals
07-23-2013, 04:56 AM
it might get better once Kray gets a bit more animation friendly...

khan973
07-23-2013, 06:34 AM
What do you mean?
What issues have you ran into?

juanjgon
07-28-2013, 03:57 PM
Please, remember that there is a page in Facebook to follow the LWtoA development:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Arnold-renderer-for-Lightwave/107339726119625

-Juanjo

jasonwestmas
07-28-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks Juanjo, looks really exciting!

Chris S. (Fez)
08-15-2013, 04:54 PM
Incredible. Can't wait.

akademus
11-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Gave it a twirl with all known Lee Perry model and Arnold skin shader. Finally one that works!!!

Thank you again Juanjo, you are doing amazing work, man!

khan973
11-06-2013, 01:28 PM
It looks strange to me because there is a brown color on the edges instead of SSS but the bump looks perfect

khan973
11-06-2013, 02:20 PM
It looks strange to me because there is a brown color on the edges instead of SSS but the bump looks perfect

vipvip242
11-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Juanjo,
again, your work is impressive !
If you need beta testers for this over-killer plugin ... ;)

chikega
11-30-2013, 08:36 AM
It looks like Solid Angle will be supporting Houdini ...

RK_Art
12-22-2013, 05:14 PM
Again a big thanks to Juanjo for this great work on the plugin.
It is already a big pleasure to work with it and although some things need more improvements, it produces great results.

Here are some of my tests:

Displacement only:

Disp & Normal map (in Arnold Bump-Node):

And finally my full skin rendering:

juanjgon
12-23-2013, 02:24 PM
Great work ... please, feel free to tell me the things you think that need to be improved. I have a very long list to new features in the roadmap for the next year, but any request is always welcome ;)

-Juanjo

RK_Art
01-09-2014, 06:20 PM
Latest Skin and SSS-Tests with Arnold.

Juanjo, your LWtoA is already great. :D
A bit less LW-crashes when altering settings and IPR is alongside active would be nice.
Maybe you can include support for the sIBL-Plugin ?
For the skin shader, some improvements are possible, but that belongs more to the Arnold devs.
Maybe you can add support for stacked materials like in C4D ?

BR,

Ralf

juanjgon
01-10-2014, 01:47 AM
Juanjo, your LWtoA is already great. :D
A bit less LW-crashes when altering settings and IPR is alongside active would be nice.
Maybe you can include support for the sIBL-Plugin ?
For the skin shader, some improvements are possible, but that belongs more to the Arnold devs.
Maybe you can add support for stacked materials like in C4D ?

Nice tests :)

When do you get the crashes? ... while working with the materials?

The skin_sss shader is now deprecated, the new skin node is the AiSkin that is faster and it is going to be improved for the next releases.

For stack materials you can use the material mixer node, currently this is the only way to stack them.

-Juanjo

RK_Art
01-10-2014, 03:36 AM
Thanks for the info.

Yes , running the IPR along with altering the Arnold-material-settings causes crashes more or less frequently.
It is much better now since the last releases of your plugin and with the current Arnold versions, but they still happen and it is definetely the running IPR who causes them.
Could you send me a short 'in-between'-update of LwtoA for enabling the use of the new ai-skin ?

Ralf

RK_Art
01-10-2014, 06:23 AM
I think I have another bug.
I imported two separate meshes (the skull and its lower jaw) with different dispmaps and also different uv-layout.
Now I added for both an LWtoA SDS/Displace Option and choosed in the enabled node displacement window in the Arnold Image UV node for each mesh the matching dispmap and uv-set.
But every time I do this for one mesh, the dispmap and uv-set is also set as the same in the other mesh, although I choosed there the right one before.
Has LWtoA only one single displacement node for all existing meshes in the scene ?

And btw, LW displacement never worked for me with LWtoA, only the Arnold native displacement.

Edit: Just noticed that this problem only affects the specific mesh of the lower jaw that alters its dispmap and-set along with any other mesh that is added and vice versa.

Another thing is concerning transparency / translucency:
This is only calculated when NOT using Arnold materials (instead plain LW surface editor settings without nodes).
Arnold materials have no transpareny settings and when using 'Edit nodes', the matching settings in the Surface editor are ignored.

Only the Arnold-Ao material supports opacity as a native Arnold feature.

Transparency/translucency would be really important for more evolved skin settings (f.e. an under the head-mesh placed skull-mesh that shines through the upper skin on some parts)

juanjgon
01-10-2014, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the info.

Yes , running the IPR along with altering the Arnold-material-settings causes crashes more or less frequently.
It is much better now since the last releases of your plugin and with the current Arnold versions, but they still happen and it is definetely the running IPR who causes them.
Could you send me a short 'in-between'-update of LwtoA for enabling the use of the new ai-skin ?

Ralf

I am now working in a new release with some new features, I hope to have it ready in few weeks. Anyway as soon as plugin works again I will send to you a new version with the AiSkin node.

-Juanjo

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have another bug.
I imported two separate meshes (the skull and its lower jaw) with different dispmaps and also different uv-layout.
Now I added for both an LWtoA SDS/Displace Option and choosed in the enabled node displacement window in the Arnold Image UV node for each mesh the matching dispmap and uv-set.
But every time I do this for one mesh, the dispmap and uv-set is also set as the same in the other mesh, although I choosed there the right one before.
Has LWtoA only one single displacement node for all existing meshes in the scene ?

And btw, LW displacement never worked for me with LWtoA, only the Arnold native displacement.

Edit: Just noticed that this problem only affects the specific mesh of the lower jaw that alters its dispmap and-set along with any other mesh that is added and vice versa.

Can you send to me the secene that show this problem? ... each objects should work with it's own displacement node settings. Also LW displacement should work, I need to test it.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
01-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Another thing is concerning transparency / translucency:
This is only calculated when NOT using Arnold materials (instead plain LW surface editor settings without nodes).
Arnold materials have no transpareny settings and when using 'Edit nodes', the matching settings in the Surface editor are ignored.

Only the Arnold-Ao material supports opacity as a native Arnold feature.

Transparency/translucency would be really important for more evolved skin settings (f.e. an under the head-mesh placed skull-mesh that shines through the upper skin on some parts)

Yes, currently only standard, flat, hair, utility and ao shaders have opacity settings. I am going to ask about this issue to the Solid Angle team ... anyway could be easy edit the skin shader code to add this parameter.

-Juanjo

RK_Art
01-10-2014, 01:31 PM
Thanks for the reply, Juanjo.

Concerning displacement, I'll make soem tests first. Maybe it's only with this scene.

For skin shader improvement:
Beside the overal transparence option, a furter control for the IOR for each layer would enhance him a lot. As the Epidermal layer is in its most upper region in reality nearly transparent with a different IOR than the deeper skin layers, it would bring out more reality in the skin when we could control the IOR in every layer exactly.

juanjgon
01-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the reply, Juanjo.

Concerning displacement, I'll make soem tests first. Maybe it's only with this scene.

For skin shader improvement:
Beside the overal transparence option, a furter control for the IOR for each layer would enhance him a lot. As the Epidermal layer is in its most upper region in reality nearly transparent with a different IOR than the deeper skin layers, it would bring out more reality in the skin when we could control the IOR in every layer exactly.

The new skin shader has this parameters, including two IOR values for the specular layers. I will try to get a working plugin this weekend with this shader to send it to you ;)

-Juanjo

RK_Art
01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Whow, that sound really good.
Thanks, Juanjo.

RK_Art
01-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Ah, I just looked at the attached Image of the ai_Skin.
Yes, it has IOR-settings now for the specs and gloss, but here features like the reflection scale at facing are now missing, a big drawback.
Without any control how reflective the Specs/Gloss are at an 0° angle, you only have a simple standard fresnel and all IOR settings are useless.
Also the Finetuning via Reflection specular weight and Reflection Refletion weight is gone, so you have also no more real reflection at all.
This goes into the totally wrong direction.
I think I / we also should contact the Arnold devs directly about this.
Do you know who is working on the skin-shader ?
I had signed for the newsletter but it spamed my email-account so I skiped it again.
As we have no real dev/user forum for Arnold so far I don't know whom is working on the shader.
I will send Vikki a mail about this.

Edit, I have send an email to the Arnold team.
If the SSS_Skin is totally replaced with this castrated ai_skin shader, I don't think Arnold will produce any good looking skin any more.

juanjgon
01-11-2014, 02:19 AM
Ah, I just looked at the attached Image of the ai_Skin.
Yes, it has IOR-settings now for the specs and gloss, but here features like the reflection scale at facing are now missing, a big drawback.
Without any control how reflective the Specs/Gloss are at an 0° angle, you only have a simple standard fresnel and all IOR settings are useless.
Also the Finetuning via Reflection specular weight and Reflection Refletion weight is gone, so you have also no more real reflection at all.
This goes into the totally wrong direction.
I think I / we also should contact the Arnold devs directly about this.
Do you know who is working on the skin-shader ?
I had signed for the newsletter but it spamed my email-account so I skiped it again.
As we have no real dev/user forum for Arnold so far I don't know whom is working on the shader.
I will send Vikki a mail about this.

Edit, I have send an email to the Arnold team.
If the SSS_Skin is totally replaced with this castrated ai_skin shader, I don't think Arnold will produce any good looking skin any more.

Thanks Ralf. Yes, perhaps the new shader is designed to be simple and fast. Anyway don't worry ... both skin shaders are going to be included in LWtoA, and I have the source code of both, so I can even update them with new features in the future.

-Juanjo

RK_Art
01-11-2014, 03:59 PM
Here is a first good result with the new ai_skin (after some slight drawbacks with the first tests):

A big thank, Juanjo, for the quick implementation.
And good to hear that you can support both in the future.
I sent you some suggestions about improvements via Email that I also wrote to Marcos.

juanjgon
01-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Nice test. I will send to you a new build with last AiSkin shader code ASAP ;)

-Juanjo

RK_Art
01-11-2014, 07:17 PM
Got it, thanks.

Ztreem
01-12-2014, 09:34 AM
That is some very nice looking skin, looks very real.

HenrikSkoglund
01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
That is some very nice looking skin, looks very real.

Agreed, beautiful skin-skull :)

3DGFXStudios
01-14-2014, 02:41 PM
I've some questions. How complete will LWtoA be when it will be released?
Is Arnold to LW going to support the TurbulenceFD plugin? Will it work with the Realflow renderkit? Will it render Hypervoxels etc? Or any other volumetric plugin like DPsky
What kind of stuff can we expect to "not" work with LWtoA?
What are the differences between the implementation in Maya for example?
Can LWtoA output render layers and render passes?

juanjgon
01-14-2014, 03:06 PM
I've some questions. How complete will LWtoA be when it will be released?
Is Arnold to LW going to support the TurbulenceFD plugin? Will it work with the Realflow renderkit? Will it render Hypervoxels etc? Or any other volumetric plugin like DPsky
What kind of stuff can we expect to "not" work with LWtoA?
What are the differences between the implementation in Maya for example?
Can LWtoA output render layers and render passes?

LWtoA is going to have near the same features as Maya or SI plugins. Anyway the final specs are not closed yet.

About volumetrics, Arnold has it's own volumetrics system so the Lightwave volumetrics are not going to work with it, at least not using the Lightwave or TFD shaders. LWtoA is going to use particles and primitives as volumetric sources and a custom arnold shader to render them. This shader could be complete enough to render smoke, fluids, etc.

Arnold has a complete render layers system (AOVs) full supported by LWtoA. It also allows define user AOVs to store any information on them.

Anyway plugin is still under development, a bit far of a final 1.0 release. I hope to have good news about the beta release date, demo versions and other things really, really soon ;)

-Juanjo

OFF
01-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Juan, do you plan to try to write connector or recessed plug for Thea Render under Lightwave? :)
Of all existing renderer this perhaps the most democratic in terms of price and speed and rendering quality using it can give odds to any expensive product.
But unfortunately that's no the official connector for LW, so you have to to write out pirouettes through other 3d animation packages, but even in this way at the speed and quality of rendering, Thea provided you stay in the win compared to a rendering in LW. (Yes, I think that LW needs thorough processing render engine).

juanjgon
01-15-2014, 05:16 AM
Juan, do you plan to try to write connector or recessed plug for Thea Render under Lightwave? :)
Of all existing renderer this perhaps the most democratic in terms of price and speed and rendering quality using it can give odds to any expensive product.
But unfortunately that's no the official connector for LW, so you have to to write out pirouettes through other 3d animation packages, but even in this way at the speed and quality of rendering, Thea provided you stay in the win compared to a rendering in LW. (Yes, I think that LW needs thorough processing render engine).

There are a lot of render engines that could be linked to Lightwave. Currently I am very busy with my current projects, but I want to begin new ones along this year ... anyway I can't tell you now anything about them.

-Juanjo

OFF
01-15-2014, 05:36 AM
Heh :)

geo_n
01-15-2014, 07:40 AM
There are a lot of render engines that could be linked to Lightwave. Currently I am very busy with my current projects, but I want to begin new ones along this year ... anyway I can't tell you now anything about them.

-Juanjo

thirdparty support for Vray like c4d :D

allabulle
01-15-2014, 07:41 AM
I'd love to use Thea within LightWave too. Juanjo would be an ideal developer for the plug-in. Let's hope Thea is one of the new ones he begins to play with. :)

COBRASoft
01-15-2014, 08:11 AM
Lightwave3D Group, just hire Juan for interlinking these render engines. Arnold (shown here) and Octane (other threads) work great already. He clearly knows this stuff very well and is very friendly to his customers. A great man IMO :).

ianr
01-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes COBRASoft, you are right

Because Juan hired by LW3DG will improve market share

& improve pipeline usuage of LightWave, just like Mr.Powers wants!

Watch Arnold (GRAVITY) win an BAFTA later tomorrow,
of course with the help of Framstore, Soho, London

3DGFXStudios
01-15-2014, 11:18 AM
I think there's a big possibility that he doesn't want to be hired by the LW3DG.

Tobian
01-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Honestly, I wish people would stop saying 'hire this guy' every time someone writes a cool plugin! :)

3DGFXStudios
01-15-2014, 11:25 AM
Honestly, I wish people would stop saying 'hire this guy' every time someone writes a cool plugin! :)

Totally agree!

COBRASoft
01-15-2014, 03:53 PM
Tobian: I'm tinking about the continuation of these plugins... If something happens to Juan (let's hope not), what then? Same goes for Viktor (LWCad), DPont and some others. Those guys really raise the level of LW, everyday!
Look what happened to FPrime and Worley Labs...
If Juan doesn't want to be 'hired', it's his good right of course :).

Tobian
01-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Yes that's right, because LWG never buy a plugin, and then never do anything with it again, killing it totally, from ever being developed....

*runs* :D

allabulle
01-15-2014, 05:41 PM
I don't quite get why the LW3DG would want to spend resources integrating other renderers that they have no control of. To bridge the gap with a plug-in instead makes all the sense in the world to me. A third party developer doesn't distract essential resources from the actual LightWave development and should be paid by the users who need the external renderer that gladly will pay to ensure the plug-in stays alive.

Having Viktor in the LW3DG would bring some reassurance to many while LightWave evolves though. I think even just saying he's in the team would do it for a while until they can show something promising. :)

COBRASoft
01-16-2014, 04:57 AM
@Tobian: I understand your point. Let's hope this won't be repeated too much :).
But agreed, they just 'killed' Jovian Color Picker this way. I'm still a lucky owner before it was integrated in LW though. I use it a lot in PS and as a Windows color picker replacement. I think they should make it available again as a standalone too.

(sorry to hijack this thread this way, I still believe Juan, Viktor, Denis, ... know best what to do or not to do in this matter)

blackmondy
01-16-2014, 08:56 AM
Why can't Lightwave renderer be rewritten to harness the power of GPU ? Or at least render in a GPU/CPU hybrid mode ?

roadster
01-16-2014, 09:00 AM

-Juanjo

Hopefully Vray. Blender has had vray support for years, fyi. From a talented forum developer. It uses the standalone version of Vray, which is the cheapest version. I think its about $ 500 US.

calilifestyle
01-16-2014, 12:04 PM
So Arnold has some updates, cool

HenrikSkoglund
01-16-2014, 02:13 PM
Sorry if this has been said already, but I got an email from Solid Angle just recently and there seem to be things happening over there and they have made a large update to their website:

http://www.solidangle.com/

Lewis
01-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Yeah WEB updat eis great looking and there is DEMO now :).

allabulle
01-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Nice. Thanks for the heads-up. It's great to have a demo to try it out.

tyrot
01-16-2014, 04:41 PM
but which demo we should download - there is only for softimage and maya !??

juanjgon
01-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Currently there isn't a demo for Lightwave yet. I hope to have good news soon for all lightwave users.

Juanjo

allabulle
01-16-2014, 05:03 PM
Good to know, Juanjo! :)

tyrot
01-16-2014, 05:04 PM
ohh boy cannot wait.. Juan - for octane we needed a fast NVIDIA GPU .. Which CPU you recommend for Arnold?

Lewis
01-16-2014, 05:11 PM
ohh boy cannot wait.. Juan - for octane we needed a fast NVIDIA GPU .. Which CPU you recommend for Arnold?

As for any CPU renderer, you need Fastest CPU (or many of them) you can buy :).

Lightwolf
01-17-2014, 05:05 AM
Blender has had vray support for years, fyi.
That's just an export to a VRay native scene file - not full, integrated support. Quite a difference.

As of VRay 3, all versions will cost the same anyhow.

Cheers,
Mike

lardbros
01-17-2014, 06:24 AM
We are such a lucky bunch of people (the LightWave community, I mean)... we have some of the best developers in the business offering impressive plugins, and dedicating their work to helping us as artists.

I really hope the LW version of Arnold makes Juan lots of money! (Not that it's what he's after, but he certainly deserves it after all the hard work).

Danner
01-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Since you have to pay for every render node, muly-CPU configurations sound like a good idea. That is one of the biggests downsides I see of Arnold Render, building a renderfarm could be quite expensive.
https://support.solidangle.com/display/arnsupp/2013/08/05/Understanding+Arnold+licensing

roadster
01-17-2014, 09:25 AM
That's just an export to a VRay native scene file - not full, integrated support. Quite a difference.

As of VRay 3, all versions will cost the same anyhow.

Cheers,
Mike

well, at least it got the job done. Sounds like bad news about the pricing, however. That leaves LW native renderer -- adding GPU support -- #1 on the wishlist.

rcallicotte
01-17-2014, 12:04 PM
You all know Arnold just went public, correct? http://www.solidangle.com

tyrot
01-17-2014, 01:20 PM
yes we do know ... but we are waiting for solid angle's lightwave news.... according to Juan - something nice is coming

geo_n
01-17-2014, 08:15 PM
Since you have to pay for every render node, muly-CPU configurations sound like a good idea. That is one of the biggests downsides I see of Arnold Render, building a renderfarm could be quite expensive.
https://support.solidangle.com/display/arnsupp/2013/08/05/Understanding+Arnold+licensing

Indeed this is for medium to large to AAA studios. A bit out of reach for freelancers and small studios. One license of arnold costs more than vray with 10 render nodes. Quality looks great though and ease of use is good since its unbiased pathtracer.

tyrot
01-22-2014, 07:59 AM
any newwwwwwwws:)

juanjgon
01-22-2014, 08:27 AM
any newwwwwwwws:)

No news are always the best news ;)

-Juanjo

vipvip242
01-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Juan, you make the suspens growing... because THE NEWS will be almost incredible...
Something like ARNOLD natively integrated in lightwave 12... at least... :D

50one
01-22-2014, 09:07 AM
Playing around with Maya + Arnold and it's just incredible, something like this natively for LW would be SPECTACULAR!

vipvip242
01-22-2014, 09:12 AM
for sure, but the Juan's demo shows us it seems to be a very close integration, like he did with the excellent octane plugin.
If it was natively integrated, the lw's licence price would become spectacular too, i gather :)

lardbros
01-22-2014, 10:04 AM
No one could possibly expect Arnold to be integrated into LW12... you'll only be disappointed if it isn't! As vipvip242 says, it would boost the price massively too! Eeeeek!

juanjgon
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
Hello,

Arnold for LIghtwave users can begin to work with HDRLS ... currently LWtoA supports the live HDRI images from HDRLS using the Lightwave environment plugin. The only problem is that LightPaint over the Arnold IPR window is not ready yet ... you need to click over the Lightwave OpenGL viewport, not over the Arnold IPR window, but as you can see, all is updated in realtime and all works fine.

I want to add the LightPaint over the Arnold IPR window as soon as possible

https://vimeo.com/89755449

-Juanjo

Lewis
03-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Nice work Juan, and yes LightPaint addition woudl be great 'coz nothing beats that workflow :)

Every4thPixel
03-27-2014, 03:59 AM
Man! That's so cool to see Arnold working in LW

zardoz
03-27-2014, 08:22 AM
guys I can only say that I've been using Arnold and Lightwave for some time now and it's amazing. I use it with softimage too and it has the same integration if not better in lw. Juanjo even added some features that you don't have in softimage.
here you have some examples of lw + arnold that I did (illusive studios)
http://www.hdrlightstudio.com/workflows/renderers/arnold

patrickbod
03-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Hi Juianjgon

It look like the plugin Octane for Lightwave, is it the same render engine?

Hello Folks,

Maybe some of you have seen a video that I have made about animated mandelbulbs that use Lightwave 11 as host app and Arnold as render engine. I want to say that yes, this video was rendered with Arndol using my own Arnold plugin, a project that I call LWtoA. I want to add some facts about it ...

- LWtoA is a custom plugin that integrate Arnold seamless inside Layout 11, with near all features suported by Arnold, including for example interactive rendering, all Arnold shading nodes, all Arnold lights, etc. The plugin is near to be features complete, and it is also near to be as complete as oficial Solid Angle plugin for Maya or Softtimage.

- LWtoA is a personal project, it is not developed by Solid Angle and they don't support it. Of course Solid Angle team is aware about the project, but LWtoA is a personal project not designed by Solid Angle. Please don't ask them about this project.

- LWtoA is not going to be available at the moment. It is going to be available when Arnold leaves the closed beta state, and of course at this point it will need a long beta testing stage. As you know Arnold is currently only available for big studios.

Have fun and feel free to ask any question about LWtoA :) ... remember that Arnold is in closed beta under NDA and I can't talk about any details of engine itself ;)

https://vimeo.com/40443058
https://vimeo.com/40720491
https://vimeo.com/43833275
https://vimeo.com/51129309

-Juanjo

RK_Art
04-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Some Ai-Skin with LwtoA:

juanjgon
04-05-2014, 04:39 PM
Great images !!! ... thanks for sharing.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
04-07-2014, 07:02 AM
Check out the new LWtoA docs site:
http://www.lwtoa.com/docs/lwtoa.html

-Juanjo

Snosrap
04-07-2014, 07:31 AM
Is Arnold a GPU renderer or CPU?

juanjgon
04-07-2014, 07:33 AM
Is Arnold a GPU renderer or CPU?

Arnold is a CPU renderer. It doesn't use the GPUs at all.

-Juanjo

zardoz
04-07-2014, 07:36 AM
great work on the manual Juanjo! thanks for your hard work on porting arnold to lw.

50one
04-07-2014, 07:57 AM
Ok, so how do we get ahold of this plugin for LW then? Is it free for Arnold users or you need to pay extra?

zardoz
04-07-2014, 08:58 AM
if you have arnold, you just have to talk to Juanjo

50one
04-07-2014, 09:33 AM
if you have arnold, you just have to talk to Juanjo

I remember asking before(not so long ago) and I got "not now" response, so i thought it's still in beta.

btomer
04-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Really nice job on the manual. It looks great.

inakito
04-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Great work on the new updated manual Juanjo, big thanks!

Snosrap
04-10-2014, 09:26 PM
I like everything about this! Except the price of Arnold.:(

djwaterman
04-10-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm a little confused. Can Arnold for Lightwave and Arnold be purchased now by single users?

3DGFXStudios
04-11-2014, 12:16 AM
I'm a little confused. Can Arnold for Lightwave and Arnold be purchased now by single users?

Yes, but the lightwave plugin is still in development. You can beta test it. It works great I've to say ;)

djwaterman
04-11-2014, 12:52 AM
So you have to purchase an Arnold licence first from Solid Angle and then buy the LW plugin, correct?

50one
04-11-2014, 01:18 AM
So you have to purchase an Arnold licence first from Solid Angle and then buy the LW plugin, correct?

This is the part that kinda annoys me(NO disrespect to Juanjo, I highly respect him and his work) but this plug should be offered to current Arnold owners at no extra charge(I've got access to Maya with Arnold @ work), maybe LWG can take under their wings the development of this bridge?

Tartiflette
04-11-2014, 02:06 AM
This is the part that kinda annoys me(NO disrespect to Juanjo, I highly respect him and his work) but this plug should be offered to current Arnold owners at no extra charge(I've got access to Maya with Arnold @ work), maybe LWG can take under their wings the development of this bridge?
The fact is (JuanJo will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm almost sure i'm not) that LWtoA -the LightWave to Arnold plugin- is a separate development.

So it isn't (for now, maybe they will reconsider given the quality of the work JuanJo did on it...) done, nor supported by Solid Angle, that's why you have to buy the plugin instead of getting it for free with a license of Arnold.

I guess that's the price to pay (no pun intended) to use a 3D app not seen by Solid Angle as a big 3D app on their market, but still be able to use Arnold with the great work done by JuanJo.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

50one
04-11-2014, 02:14 AM
The fact is (JuanJo will correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm almost sure i'm not) that LWtoA -the LightWave to Arnold plugin- is a separate development.

So it isn't (for now, maybe they will reconsider given the quality of the work JuanJo did on it...) done, nor supported by Solid Angle, that's why you have to buy the plugin instead of getting it for free with a license of Arnold.

I guess that's the price to pay (no pun intended) to use a 3D app not seen by Solid Angle as a big 3D app on their market, but still be able to use Arnold with the great work done by JuanJo.

Cheers,
Laurent aka Tartiflette. :)

Well, like I said I highly respect him and his dev work and fully understand why I need to pay for it, the thing is that I would rather see LW doing this bridge and giving it to existing customers, from the marketing point of view it's not great to have the 3rd party working on a bridge like this, LW3dG please hire this guy!

S

djwaterman
04-11-2014, 02:40 AM
But if you buy the LW to A plugin, you need to have an Official Arnold Licence for it to work? (Also, how much is the Plugin?)

50one
04-11-2014, 02:43 AM
But if you buy the LW to A plugin, you need to have an Official Arnold Licence for it to work? (Also, how much is the Plugin?)

yes, of course you need Arnold for the bridge to work;) I have no idea how much is the plugin tho.

djwaterman
04-11-2014, 02:58 AM
I'm new to this thread and have been ignoring everything Arnold up until now, but having checked the documentation and Solid Angle site I have gotten interested, they say that the minimum 5 licences needed if you want to buy a permanent licence will be lifted soon. And the renders look really good.

50one
04-11-2014, 03:19 AM
I'm new to this thread and have been ignoring everything Arnold up until now, but having checked the documentation and Solid Angle site I have gotten interested, they say that the minimum 5 licences needed if you want to buy a permanent licence will be lifted soon. And the renders look really good.

Depends what you do, but for scenes with awful lot of geometry Arnold just chomps through it like a champ(heavy meshes with Maya Xgen applied - basically instanced geometry that is Fur), for simple scenes like product renders Modo preview Renderer is much faster:) For any refractive materials is slow as other renderers, yeah you can optimise but in this regard there's no difference. Archvis with Arnold? Not so much, Vray is the king in this domain IMHO.

juanjgon
04-11-2014, 03:28 AM
Hi folks,

LWtoA is in closed beta stage. Currently it is available as beta/demo for studios that can test the plugin in production or with real projects. I want to release an open beta/demo as soon as possible.

The plugin is a personal project, but developed in cooperation with Solid Angle. At some point it will be released as commercial product, but the details about the price and how it is going to be bundled with the Arnold licenses is not defined yet. Anyway at least I can say that the cost of a LWtoA+Arnold license is not going to be greater than the current price of an Arnold license with the available official Solid Angle plugins.

-Juanjo

juanjgon
06-17-2014, 11:18 AM
With the release of LWtoA 0.5.0 (using the new Arnold 4.2 core libs) I am opening a bit the beta program of LWtoA. If you want to be included in the LWtoA beta program, please send an email to [email protected] with a brief description of your work, past and present projects, your studio and the people who work on it, the software you use and your workflow, etc.

-Juanjo

vipvip242
06-17-2014, 12:45 PM
sent ! :)

domparis
07-01-2014, 02:53 AM
Hi Juanjgo,

Doing a seemless deep integration of Arnold inside LW is a fantastic news, thanks for the great effort you are doing!

Best regards,
Dom

dulo
07-01-2014, 04:30 AM
sent too !! :-)

jdomingo
07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Hi Juanjo, or anyone arnold expert,

is there a video tutorial on how to use arnold? like from begining setup, applying material, adding light etc etc? i ve installed the LWtoA already and kind of lost where to start. (dont even know how to show the physky on IPR). hihihi
thanks.

stephefrank
07-05-2014, 11:52 PM
Hi Juanjo, or anyone arnold expert,

is there a video tutorial on how to use arnold? like from begining setup, applying material, adding light etc etc? i ve installed the LWtoA already and kind of lost where to start. (dont even know how to show the physky on IPR). hihihi
thanks.

This can help:
http://www.lwtoa.com/docs/lwtoa.html

zardoz
07-06-2014, 12:16 PM
@jdomingo to make sure everything is working fine make sure every material has a arnold standard plugged in on every surface. then make all lights, arnold lights. on the settings change the gamma values to 2.2, and start playing.

jdomingo
07-06-2014, 09:49 PM
@stephefrank, yup i have that link too. thanks.
@zardoz, thanks i will try that. maybe somebody who had experience with LWtoA will have begginer's vid tutorial. i guess im so used to using KRAY so im slow at switching gear (hehee).

thanks all

stephefrank
07-07-2014, 11:24 AM
arnold is not a good idea if you are thinking of doing interiors.. Kray is far better as far as the interiors are cocerned!