PDA

View Full Version : Robust High-Poly Count Reduction

Chrusion
01-02-2013, 10:35 PM
I found a topic via the forum search, started in 2006 in the General Discussion forum, about the Modeler plugin, qemLOSS.

qemLOSS3 simply does not work with object/layer poly counts over 300K and I had a 5.6 million poly mesh that needed to be reduced. Below is my last reply to that thread and since it's in a less than ideal forum, I'm copying it here for the wider LW audience...

------------------------------------------

Thanks for the other possible options [for polygon reduction plugins or external apps], but I found a new FREE lightweight, standalone app that uses brand new algorithms that are claimed to be far better than the "ancient" ones used by qemLoss and most all other reducers. It's called ReDucto...

http://psychocore.com/index2.html

It only accepts OBJ, PLY, and STL models, so I waited a loooooooooong time for Modeler to export a 5.6 million poly mesh as OBJ. The mesh is a 130 mile square terrain dmapped in Layout with a 16-bit GEO TIFF image and Save Transformed. ReDucto ingested the 400 MB file without blinking, because it handles meshes with over 20 million polys. After entering 500,000 as my polygon target, it chewed on the file for 10 minutes or so, maxing out my 6 GB of RAM and going deep into VM to the point that it brought the system to a grinding halt a few times (everything locked up... mouse, windows, task mgr, etc).

Eventually RAM was slowly released, the system became responsive, and ReDucto continued processing as it ate and spit back RAM in two more up and down waves. When done, the end result was a beautifully triangulated, exactly 500K poly mesh! Triangle strips followed terrain contours, getting denser the more angular the detail and less dense the flatter the terrain.

Getting it to save the decimated mesh was a bit tricky. Make sure all three check boxes under the poly count are checked after first setting the source OBJ mesh, setting the output filename OBJ, setting the poly count, clicking on the Optimize Points tool (takes a couple minutes), and finally clicking the GO button.

I highly recommend this app!

sami
01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Normally I retopo. But for architectural work where you have expansive polys in a massive scene, this seems like a good option. Thanks for the tip.

Btw does it keep uv,& weight maps or does it kill them as it reduces?

Simon-S
01-03-2013, 02:41 AM
I use PLG's Simplify Mesh plugin. It seems to handle huge poly counts really well and it also keeps UV maps on the simplified mesh.

http://www.cglounge.com/plugins/plg-simplify-mesh/

bazsa73
01-03-2013, 03:05 AM
ZBrush decimation master. That's the tool.

MAUROCOR
01-03-2013, 10:57 AM
ZBrush decimation master. That's the tool.

Agreed!

Greenlaw
01-03-2013, 11:31 AM
I really like Atangeo Balancer nPro. It's fast, fully interactive, and allows the user to apply different reduction levels based on surface. It even preserves your UV map! (Be careful if you have multiple UV's though, because it will merge them into one.)

I used Balancer nPro all over the environments in our current 'Little Green Dog' movie project and it has saved me MANY hours of tedious work and render time. With terrain objects, for example, I first decide where my main shooting locations will be, apply a 'high poly' surface for that region and make everything else 'low' or 'med'. Then I save an obj out from Modeler and load it into Balancer nPro. Once there, I can use sliders to visually tweak the density of the polygons for each surface independently.

It's really cool to see in action--I'll post a video demonstration tonight.

G.