PDA

View Full Version : Add "R" and "W" buttons to all X,Y,Z and H,P,B fields in all menus.

PabloMack
01-02-2013, 07:09 PM
With all of the time I have spent using LW, I have certainly burned up many hours of my life copying these coordinate values between information panels and operation panels. It would be SO NICE for LW to have X,Y,Z and H,P,B scatch pad buffers so that I could copy and paste the whole coordinate/orientation set at once. Press an "R" button to read all the X,Y,Z coordinates of a point at once (or H,P,B orientation at once) from an Information panel and then paste all of them at once by pressing a "W" button into the Center, Start, End etc. or any point in any operation panel such as creating a Ball, Square, doing any of the scaling operations such as 'h' etc. Instead I have to select all of the text in the 'X' field of the source and do a copy and then place the cursor in the 'X' field of the destination, select all of the text, delete it, then paste it. Then I have to repeat this whole complex sequence for Y and Z.

If I could grab all three coordinate values at once with an "R' button and then past it with a "W" button it would be so much faster. I would also like to have "R" and "W" for each individual coordinate which would grab just the one scalar or a common "R" and "W" to read or write the whole coordinate set into or from a record buffer. Wow. What a difference that would make! These buttons wouldn't take up much space and it looks like there is plenty of space to accommodate them. In my own software I use a green button for Read and a red button for Write but you will probably want to make them coordinate with your color and style scheme etc. Does this make sense?

geo_n
01-02-2013, 08:20 PM
pretty useful +1

Ryan Roye
01-03-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm guessing the right click copy/paste functions don't fit the bill? They copy/paste the XYZ/HPB/Scale of the selected item. Though, I find it tedious to do it that way and have since found other ways to do it faster.

Also, it will help to be specific as to which panels you're copying/pasting to.

probiner
01-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Been pitching that several times as others. So many tri-values. XYZ, HPB, RGB, UVW, that it would be neat to have more rational easy ways to deal with them.

When I'm tired and I just want to do repetitive copy/paste tasks without using much of memory I just use CLCL (http://www.nakka.com/soft/clcl/index_eng.html) basically a clipboard history manager, so you can select each field and copy it, then go to your destination press Alt+C and you can choose which of those clipboard inputs you want to paste. I tested some of these while back and it's the only one I know it works with LW, go figure :)

Also annoying bug is selecting one XYZ field in layout. Ctrl+C, then copying it, then when you select another object, Bam... automatically pasts said value. Not good since no specific button or thing done to expressively do that, just normal selecting.

Cheers

geo_n
01-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Worley plugins have this functionality and its really a time saver. Multiple values copy paste. Maybe for lw 12.

PabloMack
01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
I'm guessing the right click copy/paste functions don't fit the bill? They copy/paste the XYZ/HPB/Scale of the selected item. Though, I find it tedious to do it that way and have since found other ways to do it faster.

I looked at the right click thing and it is even more work that the Ctrl-C, Ctrl-X and Ctrl-V that I have been using since the olden days (on MS, I'm not an Apple guy). And you still have to select the field before you can clear it, copy it or cut it.

Ryan Roye
01-09-2013, 10:39 PM
I agree this is a function that should be hotkeyable. The current normal method of transposing values is stone-age slow.

Strange, I see motioncopy/paste (apparently pastes the entire timeline of one object and allows you to paste to another's), but not keyframe copy/paste in the keyboard options.

I know the most efficient option is in Lscript, but you can also use a much simpler (but much dirtier) solution via autohotkey:

#IfWinActive Layout
f5::
;//////////////////Get XYZ
Send t
ControlGetText, ToolOp1, Edit1, Layout
ControlGetText, ToolOp2, Edit2, Layout
ControlGetText, ToolOp3, Edit3, Layout
;//////////////////Get HPB
Send y
ControlGetText, ToolOp4, Edit1, Layout
ControlGetText, ToolOp5, Edit2, Layout
ControlGetText, ToolOp6, Edit3, Layout
Send t
return

f6::
;//////////////////Set XYZ
Send t
ControlSend, Edit1, %ToolOp1%, Layout
ControlSend, Edit1, {Enter}
ControlSend, Edit2, %ToolOp2%, Layout
ControlSend, Edit2, {Enter}
ControlSend, Edit3, %ToolOp3%, Layout
ControlSend, Edit3, {Enter}
Send y
ControlSend, Edit1, %ToolOp4%, Layout
ControlSend, Edit1, {Enter}
ControlSend, Edit2, %ToolOp5%, Layout
ControlSend, Edit2, {Enter}
ControlSend, Edit3, %ToolOp6%, Layout
ControlSend, Edit3, {Enter}
Send t
return

Basically, hit F5, and it'll get the selected item's XYZ/HPB coords. Hit F6, and it'll paste the values captured when you hit F5.

I've attached this script as a compiled EXE of the code above, can't guarantee it'll work on 64 bit operating systems or macs though. If you want to make changes to the code, you'll need to download autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/).

I've since dumped the above solution with better methods of quick item placement. You should check out Evenflo's null as child script (http://people.dsv.su.se/~dadu9329/evenflow3d/index.php); it has tons of uses:

-Use null as child script, then hotkey a button or command to "unparent" for easy placement of items.
-You can also combine his script with "replace null with object".
-Of course, makes custom rigging a hell of a lot faster and easier.

In essence, you can make nulls in your scene "spawn points" for anything you create... without tedious trips to the scene editor (the less you have to use the scene editor, the better!)

Oh, and finally, IKBooster can do this as well via the PoseCopy/PoseSave commands (saves one frame of XYZ/HPB values), which can also be used on a single object or varying parts of its heiarchy.

PabloMack
01-18-2013, 09:41 PM
Also, it will help to be specific as to which panels you're copying/pasting to.

There are so many of them. The info menu for points have them. So do the create menus for box, ball, capsule etc. Then when you decide to use the options within those such as falloff for the stretch function 'h', there are even more that appear. Then when you go to change anything in the graph editor, the triads are there too but only reachable as individual scalars. I often need to make a point the center of rotation for rotating geometry in space. I also want to set the pivot of a layer at a place where a point is in another layer. These can all use copy/paste of triads. The list goes on and on.

Danner
01-19-2013, 08:11 AM
I hope I'm not too far offtopic if I mention we have a tool for modeler that lets us copy the XYZ coordinates with one click. A Lscript gem Matt Gorner made. The Coords Tool Pack.

www.pixsim.co.uk/lightwave_lscripts.html

I have Alt C mapped to copy coordinates, Alt shift x to move all selected geometry to the X axis of the copied coordinates. Alt shift Y, and alt shift Z for the other two axis. It's mirror command completely replaced LWs mirror for me. (no more adjusting to make mirrors, just pick a point, alt C, shift V), I don't use the rest of the tools much buty they found a place in my tool bar.

Greenlaw
01-19-2013, 10:50 PM
Yes, I've been wanted to do that myself for years. In the Create/Delete Motion Key panel you have the ability to create or delete whole sets of channels in a single click, and I've always felt you should be able to copy/paste keys the same way from the lower left corner boxes too.

In the meantime, if you want to select-copy-paste whole keyframe values (all channels), try opening the second timeline (the one that 'pops up' above the regular timeline,) and right clicking the key you want--you should see an option for Cut Keys, Copy Keys, and paste Keys--this copies and pastes all the channels at once. Alternatively, you can select-copy-paste all channels (or any set of channels) in Graph Editor. With either, you can easily select-copy-paste multiple keys too and manipulate them in interesting ways.

BTW, I like to use the R-Click/Ctrl R-Click method for copying and pasting color tiles--it's pretty awesome for moving around color, especially in FiberFX.

G.