PDA

View Full Version : Fiber FX won't Collide with Objects - Keeps falling through them Any ideas?

Nabsta
01-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I have been trying to use Fiber FX for a while now for long hair and every time I use it...Lightwave either crashes or the fibers just fall right through the head when I use a cloth effect on them and a collision effect on the object. I set the Fiber FX up in modeler. I've tried with 3 points and with 7. I've tried Object, Object Subdiv, and Object Advanced to have the same result every time. I am using a custom built PC with a 2 GB graphics card, 32 GB of Ram, about 6 terabytes, and an 8 core processor with Lightwave 11...so it's not a hardware problem. Does anyone have an tips on using Fiber FX? I've seen some amazing things created with Fiber FX; however, I don't get how it's possible given how unstable and unreliable it is.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kevin

Greenlaw
01-02-2013, 12:53 PM
I don't know how you're generating your guides but you need to anchor the roots to the surface object. This is done by defining the root point and setting it as Fixed in ClothFX. The next thing to do is to define the collision object--you might be tempted to use your original character mesh but in practice, its usually better to use a lower poly version of just the head and shoulders of the character--this will keep your ClothFX calculations to a reasonable time.

If you're using FiberFX Strand Modeler, the root point will already be created when you exit the tool. If you're using curves, either modeled in Modeler (i.e., the rail-cloning method,) ZBrush, or Modo, you'll need to convert them using FiberFX Strand Maker. Strand Maker will also create a weight map the runs through the length of the guides, which can be very useful in controlling how the guides deform. (In many 'normal' situations, you'll want less motion on top and more at the ends.)

If you're using Layout's Edit Guides tool, you'll probably want to save out the guides as a new object. If do this, be sure to open the exported model in Modeler and remove the character geometry, which will be saved along with your guides.

An alternative method is to use one or more cage objects to animate your guide chains. This is the method I typically use at work. It requires a lot more setup time but it's more predictable and controllable with ClothFX, plus the calc times can often reduced to a few seconds or a few minutes at most. To do this, you will want to model the cage around major 'locks' of hair. For complicated hairstyles, you may even want to break the pieces out into separate objects. (This trick can also make it easier to style the hair with FiberFX or Sasquatch.)

It was announced last year that the upcoming 11.5 update adds a new Bullet based solution for animating hair guides so be sure to watch out for this release. :)

G.

BokadCastle
01-02-2013, 02:11 PM
There should be a surface automatically created with the word '_Fixed' at the end of the surface name - that's the one to nominate.

go to : http://www.nyclightwave.com/content/fiber-fx-tutorials-lightwave-95-william-vaughan
and download :
"Animating long hair with Dynamics:
Right-Click Here to save"

BokadCastle
01-02-2013, 02:28 PM
by 'nominate' I mean this -

Greenlaw
01-02-2013, 02:43 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention: if you go for the 'cage' method, you need to parent the guides to the cage and use FX_Metalink to deform the guides to the cage. Naturally, you'll want to bake out an MDD of the ClothFX sim before you use FX_Metalink.

G.