PDA

View Full Version : What plugins would you like to see built? What do you need the most?

sami
01-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Just a quick feeler to see what the LW community is currently clamoring for in the plugin arena.... :compbeati

By posting in here you make no rights or claims to the "idea" at all... And no guarantees that anything will even be built. Mostly just curious what the vast majority of people need help with or are looking for in a plugin. Personally, I'm keen on bringing back usability to LW plugins and actually doing some interaction design as opposed to the very clunky programmer looking interfaces that don't understand the need for whitespace and use odd terminology or make controls have dual purposes so that unless you are intimately familiar with a plugin you have to refresh your memory how to use it every time you run it once a month. I want to aim for no-docs necessary, clean, interactive useful plugins.

So instead of asking you to discuss the matter here. Maybe just use this thread to list what you want a new plugin to do. Let's waffle on in another thread and keep this one just for the yearnings.

a few rules for this exercise though please: :hammer:

No massive blue-sky ideas. Try to hone your need down to its essence and not say, "I want a full-body mocap rendering suite with auto-painting uv maps from cameras." Make it more like: "I really could use a plugin that converts LW objects to blender" or something equally discrete. We're not talking another full application, just an addon for LW.

Specify in a few bullet points what it does or what it's main features are. If you can't articulate the features cleanly, then it might not be a that critical a need for you at present.

Say in a few more bullet points how it will help you or what problem you need solved. This could also be something like "there is something out there that works, but it is kind of a pain and inelegant, and it would be faster for my workflow and easier if someone made one that worked better."

Say whether it is you'd want it free or if you'd pay for it. And if so, how much time would this save you on a given project?

Rate how bad you want it out of 10. With 10 being "I need it yesterday!!" and 1 being "meh, I'd like it at some point".

Thanks! I'm just curious, and I would guess other developers might be interested to know about these things too...

Again, maybe to keep this thread just filled with ideas, lets create another thread if anyone wants to discuss this, let's just put Lightwave plugin needs in here for now... But feel free to put a +1 reply next to anyone's idea you agree with. :)

ianr
01-02-2013, 08:29 AM
After the great response to Blue Elvis Bunny at shows
Then a 'box-free' implementation of 'Move- me software
specially for LW 11.5 plugin.
This would finish the job started & kick along the purchase
of Just a PS 3 controller to bring it to more users.

showcasing it as a must have hitch -free solution.

Phil
01-02-2013, 08:30 AM
I'd find a LXO import/export plugin rather useful. They do have the format documented. It's been on my to-explore list for a while, but I really hate C-like languages for their lack of simplicity (how can a language spawn so many variations on a theme of a string variable?!). I fully expect real coders to now berate me, but I'm comfortable with my bias - so much casting, so little time. Why? modo mishandles a lot of surfacing on LWO files (that it does happily import). There don't seem to be many options out there for handling LXO files without a modo license to hand, either, and modo's a useful application to have around.

Other big wins would be :

- cage-based deformers in Layout. In the golden oldie days, there was PuppetMaster. That died around LightWave 6.0, I think, and it's a bit of a shame to see it go.
- weightmap painting in-Layout. This would be huge for tweaking deformations on character meshes. Dealing with these issues right now is a massive PITA due to the split workflow between Modeler and Layout. With Genoma on the horizon, a convenient tweaking tool in Layout would be wonderful. I don't think that's on the cards for 11.5 based on the SIGGRAPH presentations - I saw nothing to suggest in-Layout tweaking abilities. I think there was a Japanese plugin around that kind of worked for this, but I don't think it's been maintained.

If I had to pick one, I'd take the last one. I'd also pay for it.

Sensei
01-02-2013, 09:00 AM
That died around LightWave 6.0, I think, and it's a bit of a shame to see it go.

If people won't pay, everything will die.
That's physics rule conservation of energy.

sami
01-02-2013, 09:07 AM
After the great response to Blue Elvis Bunny at shows
Then a 'box-free' implementation of 'Move- me software
specially for LW 11.5 plugin.
This would finish the job started & kick along the purchase
of Just a PS 3 controller to bring it to more users.

showcasing it as a must have hitch -free solution.

please elaborate on what you are talking about. I haven't seen this blue elvis bunny you speak of?

Phil
01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
If people won't pay, everything will die.
That's physics rule conservation of energy.

Well, the developers moved their work into messiah. Back in the day, along with Dynamic Realities' addons, Puppet Master was a must-have plugin for animation in LW and their price-point reflected that. I've paid them for messiah, but they don't care to release an official, working update for OS X. I'm feeling pretty blameless :)

Ryan Roye
01-02-2013, 10:03 AM
It'd be cool if "Package Scene" would also package MDD files...

Sensei
01-02-2013, 10:07 AM
It'd be cool if "Package Scene" would also package MDD files...

How? Package Scene tool has no idea what resources custom plugins are using and can't changed their paths..

That would drastic change in API - each plugin would have to return list of resources (paths) which are used.
And second function changing resource path.
Similar to UseItems()/ChangeID() but for files.

3DGFXStudios
01-02-2013, 10:08 AM
A simple point constraint tool which enables you to constrain object to points of other objects.

Ryan Roye
01-02-2013, 10:09 AM
How? Package Scene tool has no idea what resources custom plugins are using and can't changed their paths..

Makes sense for Dpont's tools... but...

Clothfx and other built in tools are custom plugins?

As for ideas more in line with what Sami's looking for, I'd have to think on it more.

3DGFXStudios
01-02-2013, 10:12 AM
not that kind of custom. More in the sense that you add it as a separate plugin

sami
01-02-2013, 10:12 AM
A simple point constraint tool which enables you to constrain object to points of other objects.

Need more info than this. Do you mean snapping to points? Or a motion plugin that only let's an object travel along the points of another object? And if that, in between points how do you want it handled? A use case would be good to see how you intend to use such a plugin.

Sensei
01-02-2013, 10:14 AM
Clothfx is a custom plugin?

Plugin and built-in tool should have exactly the same API. If they're different, built-in tools can do things that 3rd party can't, which is heavy not fair, and against open architecture.

From point of view of Layout ClothFX is nothing else than unknown/any other displacement-like handler.

3DGFXStudios
01-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Need more info than this. Do you mean snapping to points? Or a motion plugin that only let's an object travel along the points of another object? And if that, in between points how do you want it handled? A use case would be good to see how you intend to use such a plugin.

It should work like parenting and behave like that. It only shouldn't be parented in the hierarchy. One of the most important things would be that it deforms with the object it's connected to.

sami
01-02-2013, 10:24 AM
It should work like parenting and behave like that. It only shouldn't be parented in the hierarchy. One of the most important things would be that it deforms with the object it's connected to.

Sentences are cheap ;-) please elaborate - it's still not entirely clear what you are asking... Do you mean dynamic parenting to a point on the surface of an object, or some kind of motion plugin for tracing/animating along a surface? And please give an example of how you'd use it - i.e. What problem is it solving? Thx :)

3DGFXStudios
01-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Sentences are cheap ;-) please elaborate - it's still not entirely clear what you are asking... Do you mean dynamic parenting to a point on the surface of an object, or some kind of motion plugin for tracing/animating along a surface? And please give an example of how you'd use it - i.e. What problem is it solving? Thx :)

I'm a man of few words ;). I mean parenting to a point on a surface. I need it a while ago and I can't remember what it was but it was not the first time I needed it. I did something with nodes if I remember correctly.
This plug would be handy on deformed surfaces like cloth hard/soft body dynamics or displacement animations. You could also use it on characters to parent buttons to a coat or something like that.

Paul_Boland
01-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Sasquach 2. Come on!! Sas 1 is great, I LOVE IT!! But we need a full update. Reflections, more power, more controls, faster render.

geo_n
01-02-2013, 10:57 AM
New mouse edgeloop bandsaw options hybrid.
Post number 4 has video
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131947-New-edgeloop-in-lw-11-5&p=1285325&viewfull=1#post1285325

geo_n
01-02-2013, 11:01 AM
Nitsara Das has 32 bit uv, weight, morph map tools for copying and pasting with symmettry option that is quick and intuitive. 64 bit would be great.

Marcia
01-02-2013, 11:15 AM
A weed/moss/lichen generator?

Something like the old Polygon Coloring plugin that will actually run under the dongle-less OS-X version of LW11. Need to be able to render shaded subpatched wires (not tris) to show topology, and am currently limited to screen grabs from modeler while other (cough) sw packages generate actual renders of a model's topology. It would be nice if you could select base and wire colors (like in sketch mode) without having to save a texture-stripped copy of the model.

bazsa73
01-02-2013, 11:29 AM
I'm a man of few words ;). I mean parenting to a point on a surface. I need it a while ago and I can't remember what it was but it was not the first time I needed it. I did something with nodes if I remember correctly.
This plug would be handy on deformed surfaces like cloth hard/soft body dynamics or displacement animations. You could also use it on characters to parent buttons to a coat or something like that.

it comes handy if you have an mdd driven character but you want to add extra stuff to it, like a null or small gadgets. At least I think of this.

Ryste3d
01-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Camera view inside of modeller (no mater how difficult it is to make)

Marcia
01-02-2013, 12:39 PM
(no mater how difficult it is to make)

LOL. May as well ask for the moon, eh? :)

VonBon
01-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Not sure if it is possible, but would be nice to have a
"Window Pop Up - Doc Station"

So if im working on some Dynamic particle stuff, i can put all the
associated tools option panels that im using in one Window
instead of them opening in there own individual windows.

Ideally it would allow for numerous tool option panels to be
within the Main "Plugin" Doc Window. Where you can just scroll
down or up to the option panel you wish to use at the time.

So when working with FX you can have the (Hyper Voxels,
Cloth FX, Particle settings, and bullet option panels all within the same
panel so you dont have to open and close or organize them on a second screen.

personally i get tired of turning my head to the other screen. hehe

also would be nice to be able to save work sets.

3DGFXStudios
01-02-2013, 01:53 PM
it comes handy if you have an mdd driven character but you want to add extra stuff to it, like a null or small gadgets. At least I think of this.

Exactly! :)

erikals
01-02-2013, 02:54 PM
UV Chalk (make it integrated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RLszqWUKUA

CFD water fluids (make it integrated)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq22dmrEDpM

Lattice (yes, i know, but i don't care)

Modeler Camera View (yes, i know, but i don't care)

TAFA (make it integrated)

Kickstandīs StretchMesh (open source)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z0c11td7rA

Octane plugin
(yey, it's coming.... :]

1. some of these might be close to blue-sky wishes
2. i think these are self explanatory
3. same as 2
4. should be paid plugins, no doubt
5. rating, about 8 /10 for all of the above

Lewis
01-02-2013, 03:20 PM
SLIDE tool for modeler, ONE tool what slides Points/Polys/Edges.

Currently there is few 3rd party plugins for points/edges but both have some limitations or bugs and are abandoned.

My 1st:

- DEdge slide, works great except not working when multiple layers are selected (like many modeler native tools also :))
- PointMoveOnEdge - fantastic and i use it every day dozen of times and everything is great feature/functionality wise BUT it will crash modeler every time if you have multiple layers selected at once :(.

I've been asking for native Slide tool(s) for years but nothing so far from NT :(

My 2nd wish on list would be "Weld" and "Weld Average" which don't create JUNK geometry (1-point and 2-point polys).

cheers

hrgiger
01-02-2013, 05:05 PM
I would just like to find a decent hair solution for LightWave.

wesleycorgi
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
I would like some Win-only plugs ported to Mac OS X, such as Unreal. Or if Worley would update some of his aging Mac plugs to work with 10.x and above, that would be great. Also a plug-in that did render management that worked in a mixed OS X/Win environment (maybe there is one?).

toby
01-02-2013, 08:43 PM
another x-dof plugin
:oye:

toby
01-02-2013, 08:45 PM
jeez - (dbl post, even though I dbl checked)

sami
01-02-2013, 08:59 PM
1. some of these might be close to blue-sky wishes
2. i think these are self explanatory
3. same as 2
4. should be paid plugins, no doubt
5. rating, about 8 /10 for all of the above

Good ideas. I applaud your reading skills ;) ... thanks for answering all questions and rating your ideas

sami
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM
New mouse edgeloop bandsaw options hybrid.
Post number 4 has video
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?131947-New-edgeloop-in-lw-11-5&p=1285325&viewfull=1#post1285325

don't have access to that forum. I assume that's in some Core thing. Not everybody drank the kool aid with that - just kidding. Mostly just skipped from 9.6 to 11 so thankfully I missed that debacle and didn't join.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd find a LXO import/export plugin rather useful. They do have the format documented. It's been on my to-explore list for a while, but I really hate C-like languages for their lack of simplicity (how can a language spawn so many variations on a theme of a string variable?!). I fully expect real coders to now berate me, but I'm comfortable with my bias - so much casting, so little time. Why? modo mishandles a lot of surfacing on LWO files (that it does happily import). There don't seem to be many options out there for handling LXO files without a modo license to hand, either, and modo's a useful application to have around.

Other big wins would be :

- cage-based deformers in Layout. In the golden oldie days, there was PuppetMaster. That died around LightWave 6.0, I think, and it's a bit of a shame to see it go.
- weightmap painting in-Layout. This would be huge for tweaking deformations on character meshes. Dealing with these issues right now is a massive PITA due to the split workflow between Modeler and Layout. With Genoma on the horizon, a convenient tweaking tool in Layout would be wonderful. I don't think that's on the cards for 11.5 based on the SIGGRAPH presentations - I saw nothing to suggest in-Layout tweaking abilities. I think there was a Japanese plugin around that kind of worked for this, but I don't think it's been maintained.

If I had to pick one, I'd take the last one. I'd also pay for it.

LXO format is totally doable (need to get Modo though)

I agree that there is little weightmapping tools out there (except for the cool Vmap stuff from TrueArt)

sami
01-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Hard to believe there isn't a definitive point parenter in LW yet. I'm sure there are 3rd party things around there, but a definitive, possibly integrated one would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Nitsara Das has 32 bit uv, weight, morph map tools for copying and pasting with symmettry option that is quick and intuitive. 64 bit would be great.

What is "Nitsara Das"? more info plz :)

sami
01-02-2013, 09:08 PM

Something like the old Polygon Coloring plugin that will actually run under the dongle-less OS-X version of LW11. Need to be able to render shaded subpatched wires (not tris) to show topology, and am currently limited to screen grabs from modeler while other (cough) sw packages generate actual renders of a model's topology. It would be nice if you could select base and wire colors (like in sketch mode) without having to save a texture-stripped copy of the model.

1. seems like a plugin which uses HV and applies them to objects?

2. can you explain the Polygon Coloring plugin or give links? Is it just for nicely rendered wireframes like in other apps?

sami
01-02-2013, 09:21 PM
A lot of good ideas in here.

Some are a bit cumbersome to do if they really should be integrated directly into LW - with things such as docking windows. Without it being done by the SDK itself, then multiple platforms would need their own solutions and to do it would require some hacky windows handling which is not really worth the effort. That sort of stuff kind of lends itself to LW 12 or something with more tools and cross-platform GUI stuff built into LW directly.

Also, porting existing commercial plugins from existing vendors is really up to them. A new hair solution (while a bit more of a blue sky idea) is more possible than saying port Sas or Unreal. So from a practical point of view for this thread - I want to stick to possible or likely things that myself or other willing developers can do. (Willing being the keyword ;-) as many plugins are dead , abandoned, or with minimal maintenance to keep them limping on working with no refreshes of any significance...)

Would be good to see some +1's if people agree with others ideas - to get a slight idea of demand - and rate them too on how badly you want them.

Keep them coming. What problems do you need solved too? How can your workflow be sped up?

geo_n
01-03-2013, 03:12 AM
don't have access to that forum. I assume that's in some Core thing. Not everybody drank the kool aid with that - just kidding. Mostly just skipped from 9.6 to 11 so thankfully I missed that debacle and didn't join.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a sample video. This is not core btw. Mouse edgeloop,slide with bandsaw options.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL9taHbE62U&feature=player_embedded

What is "Nitsara Das"? more info plz :)

http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=5c05833d
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=523ee008
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=99478fb7
Can you develop these for 64bit lw?

sami
01-03-2013, 03:42 AM
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=5c05833d
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=523ee008
http://www.lwplugindb.com/Plugin.aspx?id=99478fb7
Can you develop these for 64bit lw?

Can't promise anything at the moment, but I've actually been working on something that might make you happy. It will be a little while before it's ready for show, needs some testing, debugging & polish still. Will say more when I've got something cool to view.

3DGFXStudios
01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
[QUOTE=sami;1290057]Hard to believe there isn't a definitive point parenter in LW yet. I'm sure there are 3rd party things around there, but a definitive, possibly integrated one would be nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Well. I don't think there is. You can parent stuff to points in clothfx and softfx with the make path comment. That isn't really a nice way to work because it just bakes a path for the object you want to attache. So changing your animation means changing/baking the path again.

ianr
01-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Hi Sami,
Soory not come straight back,( Been away on family Business)

Here is the link " blue'Elvis' Bunny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbl7hl2PRc

Move.me. is the Prog 4 the controllers
but a work around by 'Joy in motion' has floundered
We need a Python? pluggie for LW11.5 so you
only have to buy the PS controller not a X box As well

alexs3d
01-03-2013, 07:33 AM
maybe something like this, a simplified version, http://www.zwischendrin.com/de/detail/261 ...

sami
01-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Hi Sami,
Soory not come straight back,( Been away on family Business)

Here is the link " blue'Elvis' Bunny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLbl7hl2PRc

Move.me. is the Prog 4 the controllers
but a work around by 'Joy in motion' has floundered
We need a Python? pluggie for LW11.5 so you
only have to buy the PS controller not a X box As well

I'll have a look at what is possible... One question though, are Wii controllers not sensitive enough? I have done stuff with them to bluetooth...
What about a smart phone? Is that interesting to anyone? (only thing is magnometers in iPhones & Android Galaxys drift alot and are unstable near metal desks etc).

souzou
01-03-2013, 09:28 AM
[QUOTE=sami;1290057]
Well. I don't think there is. You can parent stuff to points in clothfx and softfx with the make path comment. That isn't really a nice way to work because it just bakes a path for the object you want to attache. So changing your animation means changing/baking the path again.

I struggled with this on a recent project. You can do it nodally (see this thread: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130150-Pinning-nulls-to-specific-points-on-a-morphing-model&highlight=) but that has some interactivity/previewing problems. A simple easy-to-use point parenter would be great.

3DGFXStudios
01-03-2013, 10:44 AM
An other one I would like to see is a set of Deformers (Bend twist etc) that work with "normal" handles. Not with those stupid nulls that are unpredictable. The current deformers have some kind of bug. Imagine you have a extruded logo with a subtitle under it both in there own layer. When you apply a bend deformer to both models it will bend differently. The front of the logo isn't aligned with the sub title. Even if you clone the controller nulls and place them on exactly the same place you'll get a different bend. So a deformer tool that works would be awesome! (I fogged it and was confirmed but not fixed)

sandman300
01-03-2013, 01:19 PM
In no particular order except the order I thought them up.

- CAD import - much like Modo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFYDrkUjcW0&feature=player_embedded the most important aspects are formats especially the 3D formats and the ability to interactively tessellate the object. It really stinks when objects come in all as N-gons. Every time I try to get CAD drawing s into Lightwave it is a huge mess. LWcad works with the 2D formats but as far as I know not with the 3D formats.

- Terrain generator - create landscapes randomly, or based on a picture or DEM file. Would also be nice to be able to add features like rivers, ponds, or say landmass is surrounded x degrees by water (could be an island or just beachfront). It would be even cooler if this could be done voxelly instead of as deformation.

- Blender fluids import - if there was a way to convert the multi-object file into say something like a single object with a motion file. This is likely less pie in the sky than asking for fluids directly.

- Tool Construction Set - Like in LScript commander, you can set up a set of commands to perform an operation, I'd like to be able to have a plugin that can be set up to do custom functions and save as presets. Also, There are many times I want to do the same operation but with a slight amount of variation. Have s secondary interface, like the numeric panel, something that can stay open all the time, that would have a list of all the presets created with the tool. There is so much that could be done with this to optimize workflows. I can see so many things that this plugin could have.
In general use, say you want to do 3 bevels, 1000 times, but you want to have a specific amount of variation on each bevel. You open up the "Tool Constructor" perform the operation [bevel x 3] then hit end process in the "Tool constructor"and save with unique name. Then open up the "Tool Box" which would hold all of the presets that were created (maybe even shareable between users) (maybe organizable and collapsible). You'd find the name of the tool you created with a numeric input next to it (% random / variation of entire tool), but then the tool is expandable so each operation can be varied as well each operation can be expanded to vary the settings of each operation which can either be saved over or as new preset or reset to original values.

As I have no real experience with programing, I couldn't say what was pie and what was realistic. Although I had been wondering about how hard would it be to adapt Blender plugins to work with Lightwave (especially since the Python connection).

Lewis
01-03-2013, 01:37 PM
DWG loader/importer would be great for all Arch-Viz guys. Current workflow is pita going through several programs to export DWG to PDf/AI/EPS and then convert that to AI v 8.0 to be able to import in LWM 'coz it's not reading and newer format of AI/EPS.

RebelHill
01-03-2013, 02:11 PM
Regarding this whole "constrain to verts" thing... piece of cake... use nodal motion with the DP point info, its quick and easy and has been around for yonks. As for the interactivity issues, thats an 11 thing only... but it turns out, its a "cross-bug" with virtual studio... just open the vir studio panel and turn on "live" and boom, these nodal setups are now fully interactive. Whilst I can agree that a simple prefab tool would be nice... doing it nodally gives additional options for motion control of the object WHILST its stuck to a given vert, additional targeting or whatever of something else, etc, etc... and the basic pin to vert setup is quick enough to build... like seconds. So...

Ryste3d
01-03-2013, 02:28 PM
DWG loader/importer would be great for all Arch-Viz guys. Current workflow is pita going through several programs to export DWG to PDf/AI/EPS and then convert that to AI v 8.0 to be able to import in LWM 'coz it's not reading and newer format of AI/EPS.

PolyTrans works great for this jobb. Import DWG and export to Lightwave. Also DWF 3D files are supported.

The Best Investment We Ever Made.

Lewis
01-03-2013, 02:34 PM
PolyTrans works great for this jobb. Import DWG and export to Lightwave. Also DWF 3D files are supported.

Good to know, thanks, although 395$ (polytrans) +245$ (CAD pack/module) doesn't sound that cool just for importing/exporting DWGs :)

Ryste3d
01-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Good to know, thanks, although 395$ (polytrans) +245$ (CAD pack/module) doesn't sound that cool just for importing/exporting DWGs :)

I understand the price issue (that's why I waited 5 years before I bought it) , but if you do this on a daily basic it is worth the money.

Before that I used Rhino3d trial and you can export from DWG to Lightwave (think it was 10 or 20 times) before the trial stop working. Don’t know if that still stands?

Lewis
01-03-2013, 03:48 PM
I understand the price issue (that's why I waited 5 years before I bought it) , but if you do this on a daily basic it is worth the money.

Before that I used Rhino3d trial and you can export from DWG to Lightwave (think it was 10 or 20 times) before the trial stop working. Don’t know if that still stands?

Curently my workflow is this:

Autocad to PDF
PDF to Illustrator
Illustratior to AI v 8.0
AI to LW.

It's not so great but at least it's something without additional cost :).

Now when i think about this PDF importer into LW would be very interesting also :D.

adk
01-03-2013, 04:12 PM
Regarding this whole "constrain to verts" thing... piece of cake... use nodal motion with the DP point info, its quick and easy and has been around for yonks. As for the interactivity issues, thats an 11 thing only... but it turns out, its a "cross-bug" with virtual studio... just open the vir studio panel and turn on "live" and boom, these nodal setups are now fully interactive. Whilst I can agree that a simple prefab tool would be nice... doing it nodally gives additional options for motion control of the object WHILST its stuck to a given vert, additional targeting or whatever of something else, etc, etc... and the basic pin to vert setup is quick enough to build... like seconds. So...

I tried your suggestion RebelHill as per the simple setup in thread below & still no joy I'm afraid. F10 continues to produce offset movements. Scrubbing through the timeline then F10 places the second box in random positions.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132274-DP-Kit-Point-Info-weirdness

I also tried what Denis suggests here - photoreal MB set to 0%
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132601-DP-Point-info-node

That works, but only on the initial load of the scene when you don't attempt to scrub the timeline. Scrubbing through the timeline places the second box in random positions & any subsequent F10 leaves it locked in that position.

Hieron
01-03-2013, 05:08 PM

That would drastic change in API - each plugin would have to return list of resources (paths) which are used.
And second function changing resource path.
Similar to UseItems()/ChangeID() but for files.

Ok, but then have Layout not flat out crash when reading such a "Packaged" with missing .mdd's?
It is slightly weird that one can "package" a scene, only to have it crash on loading without a single comment why. Imagine After Effects doing a thing like that..

And why then exactly does "Package Scene" have specific folder options for:
"Vertex Cache"
"Dynamics"

Either way, such a drastic change in API is needed then. Completely OT considering this thread btw, but had to chime in as this is a recurring and annoying issue.

Regarding using Point Info node by DP to attach something to a surface:
Is there a tool to derive point count nr from? Or is it purely trial and error.. I'm fine with the fully nodal solution though.. imho no need for another separate tool..

Then again, I hope Denis is getting all support and help on his work on nodes.. and the underlying system is getting tlc.

Sorry, no plugin idea to contribute atm...

Hieron
01-03-2013, 05:25 PM
I tried your suggestion RebelHill as per the simple setup in thread below & still no joy I'm afraid. F10 continues to produce offset movements. Scrubbing through the timeline then F10 places the second box in random positions.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132274-DP-Kit-Point-Info-weirdness

I also tried what Denis suggests here - photoreal MB set to 0%
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132601-DP-Point-info-node

That works, but only on the initial load of the scene when you don't attempt to scrub the timeline. Scrubbing through the timeline places the second box in random positions & any subsequent F10 leaves it locked in that position.

Doesn't that work fine if you use Part Move by DP in nodal Displacement? (wpos point info fed into Part Move "move" input then output, set order to "before world displ")
Perhaps not ideal per se for all usage scenarios, perhaps there is a Object Move node too :P

BigHache
01-03-2013, 05:38 PM
A simple idea for a plug-in: an updated EPS import.

This update would solve:
* Not requiring one to save AI/EPS file as version 8
* Ignore stroke effects and just import paths
* More intuitive import scale, e.g. entering 1.0 for importing at 1:1 scale, .5 for importing at 1/2:1 scale, etc.

I would pay for this, but probably not more than $10-15 as it doesn't solve a huge dilemma. I'd write this myself if I knew how.

Need: 1, meh would be nice

adk
01-03-2013, 05:56 PM
Doesn't that work fine if you use Part Move by DP in nodal Displacement? (wpos point info fed into Part Move "move" input then output, set order to "before world displ")
Perhaps not ideal per se for all usage scenarios, perhaps there is a Object Move node too :P

Don't think I tried doing it that way ... might actually work :)

Shiny_Mike
01-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Ok, but then have Layout not flat out crash when reading such a "Packaged" with missing .mdd's?
It is slightly weird that one can "package" a scene, only to have it crash on loading without a single comment why. Imagine After Effects doing a thing like that..

And why then exactly does "Package Scene" have specific folder options for:
"Vertex Cache"
"Dynamics"

Either way, such a drastic change in API is needed then. Completely OT considering this thread btw, but had to chime in as this is a recurring and annoying issue.

Regarding using Point Info node by DP to attach something to a surface:
Is there a tool to derive point count nr from? Or is it purely trial and error.. I'm fine with the fully nodal solution though.. imho no need for another separate tool..

Then again, I hope Denis is getting all support and help on his work on nodes.. and the underlying system is getting tlc.

Sorry, no plugin idea to contribute atm...

To get the point index just select the point in modeler and hit "i"-info. As for mdd's, etc and Package Scene, I haven't used it but maybe this might work as a replacement?
http://www.simon-coombs.com/utils/zip-it/zip-it4.htm

kolby
01-04-2013, 01:39 AM
Curently my workflow is this:

Autocad to PDF
PDF to Illustrator
Illustratior to AI v 8.0
AI to LW.

I know a lot quicker:

Autocad to Corel Draw X5, export to ai v.8
Ai to LW

Lewis
01-04-2013, 01:42 AM
I know a lot quicker:

Autocad to Corel Draw X5, export to ai v.8
Ai to LW

Hows that LOT Quicker ? It's only PDF difference and you use Corel instead Illustrator but same procedure to convert to AI v.80 ? I tried that and Corel cuoldn't read all DWGs properly i trowed on him so i opted for PDF in between and that works fine in AI or Corel.

kolby
01-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Hows that LOT Quicker ? It's only PDF difference and you use Corel instead Illustrator but same procedure to convert to AI v.80 ? I tried that and Corel cuoldn't read all DWGs properly i trowed on him so i opted for PDF in between and that works fine in AI or Corel.

Of course it is faster, because you need only one application to open dwg, clean it and export to ai. Another thing is that I never had any problems with importing dwg into Corel.

Lewis
01-04-2013, 02:58 AM
Of course it is faster, because you need only one application to open dwg, clean it and export to ai. Another thing is that I never had any problems with importing dwg into Corel.

You aren't reading what I said. I asked how is it "LOT" faster? It's faster only that you don't need to export PDF form Autocad, everything else is same i.e. one application to save AI.

also Illustrator can open DWG too but like i said same goes for Corel, some DWGs aren't working/opening properly (i had problems so if you didn't that just means you've been lucky or had older DWG versions 'coz sometime clients sends newest versions like autocad 13 or so and even older autocad has problems to open that and let alone Corel/Illustrator) in either so PDF is safe route and recently i usually get PDFS from clients together with DWGs so i don't need Autocad exporting PDF in those cases.

Sensei
01-04-2013, 03:55 AM
Maybe simply they're using some 3rd party plugin?
f.e. in LightWave if I make custom polygon handler, then use such polygon in LWO, nobody will open this file without having mine custom polygon handler installed.

Lewis
01-04-2013, 04:03 AM
Maybe simply they're using some 3rd party plugin?
f.e. in LightWave if I make custom polygon handler, then use such polygon in LWO, nobody will open this file without having mine custom polygon handler installed.

Well big part of Autodesk products are not too much backward compatible. If you make simple BOX in 3DSMAX 2013 (no plugins involved) and try to open in in 2012 it will most probably refuse to open or tell you it's not compatible/wrong version so you need to go to MAX and save it as older version. Same thing is probably true for Autocad 'coz it suffers from same issues 2013, 2012, 2011..... They probably use some versioning in each new release which older app checks at start/load and just refuses opening :(.

Sensei
01-04-2013, 04:08 AM
If structures grow in each version because of adding new features, and there is no field how long is each structure stored in file (such as IFF chunk length in LWO), then such file really can't be opened. Loader has no idea what is where without knowing exact length of data.

Isn't Max objects not openable in anything but Max?
They're storing the whole tree, history, modifier stack.

Lewis
01-04-2013, 04:13 AM
Isn't Max objects not openable in anything but Max?
They're storing the whole tree, history, modifier stack.

Yes *.MAX files are proprietary format. As for versioning in files i wouldn't be surprised if is made on purpose just to force users to upgrade to newer version :D.

DWG obviously isn't that problematic since many other opens it but it's also problematic for versioning and older Autocad can't open newer file even if you draw single line with tool what's not upgraded/changed etc... Luckily auto cad gives you option to save all older formats like 10 versions backwards.

Sensei
01-04-2013, 04:30 AM
Yes *.MAX files are proprietary format. As for versioning in files i wouldn't be surprised if is made on purpose just to force users to upgrade to newer version :D.

That would be too easy to cheat- save file in version X and save file in version X+1, then open both in hex file editor and compare...
Then if it's just couple bytes difference, write software which will change these values.

RebelHill
01-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Well big part of Autodesk products are not too much backward compatible. If you make simple BOX in 3DSMAX 2013 (no plugins involved) and try to open in in 2012 it will most probably refuse to open or tell you it's not compatible/wrong version so you need to go to MAX and save it as older version.

Is there not maybe a check for this somewhere in max (not that Id know). In maya... if you try to open a newer file in an older version, there's a lil "ignore version" checkbox tucked away in the open menu for this situation.

geo_n
01-04-2013, 04:52 AM
Another simple plugin.
Select double sided polys plugin. Only avail in 32bit afaik.
This is different to unify polys. Its only a select function for overlapping welded/unwelded polys.

Lewis
01-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Is there not maybe a check for this somewhere in max (not that Id know). In maya... if you try to open a newer file in an older version, there's a lil "ignore version" checkbox tucked away in the open menu for this situation.

I did not find such tool/option (i admit i didn't search for it to much either :)), I'm using older MAX 2011 but client uses 2010 for most of things and they can't open file if i forget to "save max2010" format :). Now they have one machine with MAX 2012 and use it just to open never files and save as 2010 which they use most of time for modeling/UV/Normal/Occlusion MAP baking :). For most of time MAX just says cant load or error not even telling you it's newer version so first reaction from most users is "file is corrupted" while it's just new version difference :).

but to not derail main topic any further let's say DWG and PDF loaders would be very welcome in Arch-Viz community of Lwavers :).

Marcia
01-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Marcia

1. seems like a plugin which uses HV and applies them to objects?
2. can you explain the Polygon Coloring plugin or give links? Is it just for nicely rendered wireframes like in other apps?

Sorry for the delay in responding to you... working backward from #2, this is a link to Polygon Coloring http://http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php

Yep, it just makes better wireframe renders, which is important for people who sell stock 3d. There are probably a few others who would make use of the plugin, but guessing it doesn't have really wide application among LW users, so priority would be about .25/10, possibly lower. I would be willing to pay for it, but not underwrite the entire cost of creation if I'm the only one interested. :)

#1 Hypervoxels probably would work, especially for moss/lichen (mold, general crud). Would be even better if there was a toggle for adding occlusion as a path, in addition to random coverage, since crud naturally collects in cracks and similarly occluded areas. Creep or run controls would be even nicer (Creeping Crud plugin?). Not sure about weeds... maybe they could simply be used in conjunction with this plugin using actual models and instancing (we're probably all skilled enough for that, except maybe ivy-generating, which would be a pain), unless it's an easy add. I would pay for this type plugin, too. Can see that it would have wide application for many projects, but not sure if other artists agree. Doesn't seem too blue sky. Did I miss any questions?

Please, please consider. Thanks!

sami
01-04-2013, 10:26 AM
hmmm... maybe people are still on holidays, but I was really hoping for, or expecting more of a consensus on what plugin holes needed to be filled in LW. Not that there aren't a few gems in here, but nothing in this thread seems like an overwhelmingly dominant demand for anything. Maybe people aren't clamoring for things in LW as I thought, or maybe what they want are the really big blue sky stuff or the refactor the interface entirely thing?

Marcia
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Nooooooo. Would Autodesk do such a thing? I find that hard to believe (lolol).

Max handles .obj and .fbx imports and exports well, especially if all objects are named and you use the newer LW .fbx export that includes autodesk geometry caching. .Max only opens in Max, and you can only convert the format on the receiving end if you have a copy of Max installed on your computer. Monopoly, anyone?

realgray
01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjZEVJX6LmY

Anything that updates the text tool. Beveling text is a major pain let alone a logo.

http://www.cineversity.com/vidplaylist/cv-artsmart

COBRASoft
01-04-2013, 01:07 PM
^^ +1!!!

BigHache
01-04-2013, 02:18 PM
That's what I'm talking about. I found this today by way of the Inkscape peeps:

http://hanwen.home.xs4all.nl/public/software/ai2svg.py

Perhaps it can help for a Python plug-in. I think this would be only half of the problem, reading the AI. I don't know how to translate that into polygons.

DigitalSorcery8
01-04-2013, 02:50 PM
But it's still cheaper than having to buy AutoCAD and Illustrator. :)

geo_n
01-04-2013, 05:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjZEVJX6LmY

Anything that updates the text tool. Beveling text is a major pain let alone a logo.

revamped animateable text tool would be nice.

geo_n
01-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Not so bluesky feature.
Android, IOS device vpr previewer like Modo has.

sami
01-04-2013, 07:06 PM
That's what I'm talking about. I found this today by way of the Inkscape peeps:

http://hanwen.home.xs4all.nl/public/software/ai2svg.py

Perhaps it can help for a Python plug-in. I think this would be only half of the problem, reading the AI. I don't know how to translate that into polygons.

that would help thanks - I'll have a look at that. Inkscape is awesome. I don't really use it too much as I tend to use Illustrator CS6, but I've used the portable version of Inkscape to script converting really old Corel vector formats to AI format. Inkscape reads EVERYTHING vector related it seems especially when nothing else will...

BigHache
01-05-2013, 07:49 PM
that would help thanks - I'll have a look at that. Inkscape is awesome. I don't really use it too much as I tend to use Illustrator CS6, but I've used the portable version of Inkscape to script converting really old Corel vector formats to AI format. Inkscape reads EVERYTHING vector related it seems especially when nothing else will...

Well after posting, I tried that script on a simple CS6 file and it hung. AI8 file no problem. However Inkscape itself seems to open CS6 files so maybe there is some wisdom in its Python folder.

I use Illustrator CS6 for all my vector needs too, but saving the AI8 file is an annoyance. Plus it would be super sweet if we could create surfaces based on colors in the AI file, even if it was just SURF1, SURF2, etc. Gradient fills just get the first color of the gradient as the surface color. Whatever.

tischbein3
01-06-2013, 05:24 AM
- Blender fluids import - if there was a way to convert the multi-object file into say something like a single object with a motion file. This is likely less pie in the sky than asking for fluids directly.

This is not possible. The only "other" strategy to import fluids would be to write an conversion plugin, wich writes down a list of lwo sequence. With the downside that you have to reconvert _all_ objects each time you modify the surface.

As I have no real experience with programing, I couldn't say what was pie and what was realistic. Although I had been wondering about how hard would it be to adapt Blender plugins to work with Lightwave (especially since the Python connection).
1st there is a gpl licence wich makes it impossible to simply copy / paste code.
2nd YOu still have to rewrite almost all the code (different data structure).
3rd some things a simply not possible, like the integration of 80% of all modifiers (in a non destructive way)

Burchigb
01-06-2013, 06:37 AM
I really like the plug in for 4D

Hopefully someone would talk to the POC and ask them to develop this plugin for Lightwave.
This would make logo generation real quick

realgray
01-06-2013, 10:34 AM
+1 yeah, I don't understand why this has not been a priority for LW for some time. With graphic and motion designers being such a huge part of 3d today, great and easy text/logo generation is a must. Even modo (which I have as well) struggles in this regard. Currently I just use blender for text and import. I hope this will not be the case for to much longer.

3DGFXStudios
01-06-2013, 12:06 PM
You can now make awesome looking text and logo's in AE so no need for an ai/eps importer. Of course it would be cool to have a better one in lw than the current one.

realgray
01-06-2013, 01:04 PM
You can now make awesome looking text and logo's in AE so no need for an ai/eps importer. Of course it would be cool to have a better one in lw than the current one.

But can you export the text in a format LW will read? Sometimes the text must render out of LW for various reasons.

3DGFXStudios
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM
But can you export the text in a format LW will read? Sometimes the text must render out of LW for various reasons.

In AE you can if I'm not mistaking but if you make text in fusion you can. However if you need text outside AE or an other compositor with 3D functions it's probably better to do it in LW.
Have you seen what Element 3D can do?

link: http://forums.newtek.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1290707

FredyN
01-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I would like to have some modeler tools in layout and animable - extrude, lathe, bevel, rounder, multishift...

sami
01-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Well - after reading all these posts, with no major clean winner in terms of what new plugins for Lightwave are needed, there are a few standouts to me. Obviously, if we're going to invest in the time & cost to build significant plugins (bigger than free little utilities), and stuff that makes a difference to Lightwave usability and feature set, then we really want to make something Lightwave users like us, and more importantly, you, really want and need!
So to start now I'm leaning towards building the following plugins:

for better one-click Illustrator/EPS/SVG importing with features similar to that cvartsmart video people have posted. I'd personally like one that:

respects layers (i.e. you have the choice to import Illustrator layers as Modeler Layers, or as different Parts)
respects fill colors,
makes it so you don't have to drill holes in things - that the negative areas in the eps are respected
has automatic extrusion and beveling per layer (or eps object? I'll see if this 2nd option is available)

for Weight mapping (and other VMap) view/control in Layout (and Modeler) to help with pinpointing issues with rigging etc. It seems there are not enough "easy-to-use" tools that help you with this sort of thing.

Can't promise timeline at the moment, but when I'm closer to showing something usable, I'll open up a beta phase for a few people and release a few free licenses in exchange for those beta testers help with testing (otherwise I'll try and keep costs down to keep prices reasonable and make the plugins more than pay for themselves). Keep your eyes peeled and your stations tuned, we're hoping to release something cool in the next few months!! Hopefully it will be a nice complement to 11.5 when we get that soon! :)

Feel free to PM or otherwise contact me about any of this or if you have another better idea and think the LW community at large would benefit from it....

Sensei
01-09-2013, 12:40 PM
for Weight mapping (and other VMap) view/control in Layout (and Modeler) to help with pinpointing issues with rigging etc. It seems there are not enough "easy-to-use" tools that help you with this sort of thing.

This is extremely hard task, if you don't want to open additional modal window blocking whole Layout (thus not updating deformations in viewport while painting them)...

tischbein3
01-09-2013, 12:51 PM
This is extremely hard task, if you don't want to open additional modal window blocking whole Layout (thus not updating deformations in viewport while painting them)...

..or do have a extreme low performance, wich is only useable for a few hundrets of points....

Sensei
01-09-2013, 01:03 PM
The problem is in the first place- how to set weight map from Layout..
not to mention: how to do it from interactive tool..
not to mention: how people will like idea that they can't undo painted weight maps..

realgray
01-09-2013, 01:36 PM
"for better one-click Illustrator/EPS/SVG importing with features similar to that cvartsmart video people have posted. I'd personally like one that:
respects layers (i.e. you have the choice to import Illustrator layers as Modeler Layers, or as different Parts)
respects fill colors,
makes it so you don't have to drill holes in things - that the negative areas in the eps are respected
has automatic extrusion and beveling per layer (or eps object? I'll see if this 2nd option is available)"

Whoooppeeeeee!!!!

Anything that improves beveling text will be awesome!

3DGFXStudios
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Please ditch the weightmap stuff and go for the constraint plugin ;)

sami
01-09-2013, 05:47 PM
The problem is in the first place- how to set weight map from Layout..
not to mention: how to do it from interactive tool..
not to mention: how people will like idea that they can't undo painted weight maps..
You are right but I have an idea about that ...

I've already got an awesome prototype that I wrote for my internal use recently. I'm taking the problem from a different vantage point. It's more of a complement to your excellent VMap manager and doesn't really use Nodes or anything like your powerful tool (that's an odd phrase :p but what do you expect from the guy who figured out the universe ;) ). Btw the plugin you've created is very powerful and is certainly for power users - it looks nice. Mine is a much simpler interface and might be suited to different tasks?

The thing I've got somewhat working already doesn't have any performance issues until you get to about 30K points - and that's LScript. I'm going to rewrite some of it in the SDK and eke performance out of it once I am happy with the usability. And I've got Undo sorted but it is internal to the plugin - as obviously Layout's Undo is anemic.

I'll finish it right after this project I'm on... :)

Sensei
01-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Are we thinking about the same?

I thought that you are talking about clicking mouse in Layout viewport, defining radius of "brush", and painting weight and immediately see deformation (because weight map is attached to bone).

VMapManager is quite easy in what it does - it's just baking vertex maps to image file. The most of code is taken by handling GUI (what is almost rule). VMapManager doesn't use nodes (it was made in 2003, when nodes didn't exist yet).

Maybe you're talking about VMapProcessor - it's generating vertex maps using custom Node Editor?

For thing that's interactively painting speed is important, because user is moving mouse and job must be done here and now. Non-interactive tools don't need it (too much). User can wait (in the worst scenario watching progress bar).

sami
01-09-2013, 07:29 PM
Are we thinking about the same?

I thought that you are talking about clicking mouse in Layout viewport, defining radius of "brush", and painting weight and immediately see deformation (because weight map is attached to bone).

VMapManager is quite easy in what it does - it's just baking vertex maps to image file. The most of code is taken by handling GUI (what is almost rule). VMapManager doesn't use nodes (it was made in 2003, when nodes didn't exist yet).

Maybe you're talking about VMapProcessor - it's generating vertex maps using custom Node Editor?

For thing that's interactively painting speed is important, because user is moving mouse and job must be done here and now. Non-interactive tools don't need it (too much). User can wait (in the worst scenario watching progress bar).

You are right, I mixed up your 2 plugins, I was thinking of your Vmap Processor. I'm using a separate viewport I create and not painting in the brush sense... Also, I figure many people use dual monitors so having a larger plugin window that stays up may not be a big issue?

BigHache
01-09-2013, 07:53 PM
better one-click Illustrator/EPS/SVG importing

Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to make sure files saved from AI have PDF compatibility checked and just read the PDF data stream. I actually leave this checked all the time, maybe others don't but it's made other areas of my world easier.

Right now the auto-drill gets borked if you have say type inside of a circle, the importer can't discern what to knock out and what to have solid.

sami
01-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Seems like the easiest thing to do would be to make sure files saved from AI have PDF compatibility checked and just read the PDF data stream. I actually leave this checked all the time, maybe others don't but it's made other areas of my world easier.

Right now the auto-drill gets borked if you have say type inside of a circle, the importer can't discern what to knock out and what to have solid.

Yes, that is the most tedious thing for me (dealing with the drilling of different layers after manually cutting and pasting them to separate layer). Thanks for the tip about PDF compatibility, though ideally a plugin would know regardless...

BigHache
01-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Yes, that is the most tedious thing for me (dealing with the drilling of different layers after manually cutting and pasting them to separate layer). Thanks for the tip about PDF compatibility, though ideally a plugin would know regardless...

Agreed, but I wouldn't hold out on trying to decode the AI data stream nor would I even focus on it for a v1.0. Even if the importer still required AI8 but could read fill colors and properly drill, that would be leaps and bounds.

Mitja
01-10-2013, 04:12 AM
Mouse wheel to zoom in and out in the viewports?

3DGFXStudios
01-10-2013, 04:54 AM
Mouse wheel to zoom in and out in the viewports?

You can in layout by pressing alt+scroll

Ryste3d
01-15-2013, 06:59 AM
I would love to see a plugin like this for Lightwave

http://www.itoosoft.com/index.php

kusby
01-15-2013, 09:36 AM
Modeler Plugin that converts tri's to quad's

Kryslin
01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
In 32 or 64 bit? MergeTrigonsX is available under 32 bit. Does a serviceable job.

Hmm...I'd like to see a plugin called SimpleItemConstraint; It combines SimplePointConstraint and SimpleOrientConstraint, but with only one envelope (instead of six) to control blending, and a check box to control whether you want position, orientation, or both (default). (I'm lazy - I'm beginning to hate having to link up 6 different channels to control blending of my IK autosnaps while rigging).

Also some nodes : HSV -> RGB, RGB -> RGB, something that replicates the RSL CellNoise function. (If they exist already, I'd be grateful if someone could point me at them...)

I'd find those immediately useful.

Lewis
01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
MergeTrigonX was updated in 2011 so it has 64b and 32b working just fine and it even keeps UV maps just fine.

khan973
01-15-2013, 01:51 PM
I just want to be able to model in camera view!

Ryan Roye
01-15-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't know if it already exists, but I currently use "Weight Manager" for doing things such assigning weight symmetry, selecting the vertices of what a weight map is affecting, and type in a prefix or word to manipulate many weight maps at once.

Unfortunately, this great plugin only works in 32-bit versions of Lightwave. I will be upgrading to 64-bit at some point, so weighting up my stuff is going to become a more tedious process after the fact. If there is no better alternative out there, a 64-bit version of a plugin that performs these functions could be a plugin well worth making.

In a nutshell:

Mirror weightmaps (the native way of doing this in Lightwave is silly)
Allow point selection based weight map coverage (not everyone uses weight maps for just characters, but textures and stuff as well)
Bulk manipulation functions (rename, increase, decrease, etc)

EDIT: Oh, and I'll put in another vote for weight painting and manipulation in layout... you could make some big bucks from helping to circumvent one of Lightwave's greatest weaknesses.

sami
01-15-2013, 10:58 PM
I don't know if it already exists, but I currently use "Weight Manager" for doing things such assigning weight symmetry, selecting the vertices of what a weight map is affecting, and type in a prefix or word to manipulate many weight maps at once.

Unfortunately, this great plugin only works in 32-bit versions of Lightwave. I will be upgrading to 64-bit at some point, so weighting up my stuff is going to become a more tedious process after the fact. If there is no better alternative out there, a 64-bit version of a plugin that performs these functions could be a plugin well worth making.

In a nutshell:

Mirror weightmaps (the native way of doing this in Lightwave is silly)
Allow point selection based weight map coverage (not everyone uses weight maps for just characters, but textures and stuff as well)
Bulk manipulation functions (rename, increase, decrease, etc)

EDIT: Oh, and I'll put in another vote for weight painting and manipulation in layout... you could make some big bucks from helping to circumvent one of Lightwave's greatest weaknesses.

Hang on to your antennae/hat chazriker, my weight map tool will be pretty cool! - at least it's unlike anything out there at the moment. I'm finishing up other project work and hope to get the time to polish up my prototype to make it shipping worthy and bulletproof(ish). It's still a little ways off chronologically, but the working version I have of it is good enough to be helping me with real production work... :)

Btw can you give me a link to that "weight manager" you speak of? I didn't see it in lwplugindb.

Sanchon
01-15-2013, 11:15 PM
I would like to see a plugin like MultiScatter ( http://www.multiscatter.com ) from 3ds Max to naturally placing instances, painting, cloning, mixing with some predefinied algorithms and more.

Here is good example what Multiscatter can do - http://www.rendering.ru/media/manual/iAlpine/iAlpine-catalogue.pdf

Ivy generator like this - http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator but with more advanced options and working natively in Lightwave environment.

erikals
01-15-2013, 11:18 PM
+1 for MultiScatter

Lewis
01-16-2013, 12:12 AM
+2 Multiscatter/painting. Somethign like Vegipaint was/is but to work in layout and with native Instances, that would be awesome plugin :).

sami
01-16-2013, 01:56 AM
I would like to see a plugin like MultiScatter ( http://www.multiscatter.com ) from 3ds Max to naturally placing instances, painting, cloning, mixing with some predefinied algorithms and more.

Here is good example what Multiscatter can do - http://www.rendering.ru/media/manual/iAlpine/iAlpine-catalogue.pdf

Ivy generator like this - http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator but with more advanced options and working natively in Lightwave environment.

It's not entirely clear, is this just a plugin that uses textures to control instancing? And if so, how does it prevent object intersections - does it actually collide and deform instances geometry so you don't get clover models cutting into each other but instead deform and push against each other? Or is it just a sloppy texture intense cloner?

alexs3d
01-16-2013, 02:14 AM
a scatter or painting feature would be awewome, a great addition to instances.

in 11.5 there is a "place mesh" feature in modeler, but i think it would be more useful in layout, to place for example stones or trees on the ground with one click, and can rotate or scale immediately.

hurley is working on a "AdvancedPlacement" plugin, maybe this is an alternative to multiscatter
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?121487-IBounce-open-beta/page65&highlight=bounce

i nice feature would be for example you instance big stones in a scene, in a new instance layer you can instance small stone only in the area where the bis stones are.

Lewis
01-16-2013, 02:25 AM
check this for more idea about painting vegetation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYk7t19R7OU&feature=player_embedded

especially part around 55 sec forward where you can paint any mesh (instances) onto geometry really easy/fast.

alexs3d
01-16-2013, 02:40 AM
@lewis ... the object exclusion feature is great and with the spline...love to see this features in lightwave :)

Sanchon
01-16-2013, 02:45 AM
check this for more idea about painting vegetation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYk7t19R7OU&feature=player_embedded

especially part around 55 sec forward where you can paint any mesh (instances) onto geometry really easy/fast.

Possibility to painting instances + plugin like MultiScatter that can do some intelligent placement of instances based on parameters will be incredible time saver ! VeggiPaint was a good solution in the old times when HdInstance was the only way to do rich vegetation. I'm still using VeggiPaint to placement of cars and people, especially on uneven large terrains.

Lewis
01-16-2013, 04:08 AM
Possibility to painting instances + plugin like MultiScatter that can do some intelligent placement of instances based on parameters will be incredible time saver ! VeggiPaint was a good solution in the old times when HdInstance was the only way to do rich vegetation. I'm still using VeggiPaint to placement of cars and people, especially on uneven large terrains.

Veggi paint would be great even today if we could load ANY number of meshes (if i remember good there was some predefined number of mesh slots) and if it works with instances instead CLONES, that's the key part here 'coz cloning 500k polys tree wouldn't go far before sucking all RAM :).

erikals
01-16-2013, 04:31 AM
yep, vegetation needs to be addressed, for now i think i'll go this way about it (32bit only)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MepgyKKZ5K8
(weights and instancing)

Ryan Roye
01-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Btw can you give me a link to that "weight manager" you speak of? I didn't see it in lwplugindb.

Unfortunately not, because all of the links have since vanished from the internet (replaced by "Buy this domain!" ads). David Ikeda, the creator, never put it on the LW database.

It was part of his kung fu tools pack, I forget what other tools are included; weight manager is the only one I really used out of it. I provided a download link of the zip below from my harddrive. But as I said, this is a 32-bit plugin as far as I can tell... so it'll either vanish from my toolset or I'll have to jump back and fourth between 2 versions of Lightwave. Perhaps the program will provide you some useful insight in your own developments (assuming it works on your version of Lightwave).

3dworks
01-16-2013, 08:34 AM
looking here as well for a comprehensive veggiepaint style placement and scatter solution, but with LW11 instancing integrationa and mac compatibility. veggiepaint was windows only, but useful at a time when it was necessary to use LW on windows. i'd be ready to pay good money for any good plugin which would take care of this!

Ryste3d
01-16-2013, 12:41 PM
+1000000000000000000000 for MultiScatter

Sensei
01-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Watch mine tutorial
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132044-TrueArt-LightWave-3D-Tutorial-How-To-Render-Outline-Full-HD-video&highlight=outline

Hieron
01-17-2013, 05:35 AM
Sami, opening this:

http://epmv.scripps.edu/

Up to LW...

Do note: "With the help of developers like you, this list can easily extend to include Houdini, RealFlow, SoftImage XSI (PySoftimage), Modo, and many others... " (some name is missing..)

Anyway, it may be a niche thing. But it could be a very modern and useful addition to LW's toolset.

geo_n
01-17-2013, 11:13 AM
http://apps.photonstudios.com/
Nice work on the morph and mirror tools.

sami
01-17-2013, 12:20 PM
http://apps.photonstudios.com/
Nice work on the morph and mirror tools.

Thanks, they're pretty basic but useful.. I'll probably update the morphs one to work better in LW 11.03 (it was written for 9.6)...
and more plugins are coming soon :)

sami
01-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Sami, opening this:

http://epmv.scripps.edu/

Up to LW...

Do note: "With the help of developers like you, this list can easily extend to include Houdini, RealFlow, SoftImage XSI (PySoftimage), Modo, and many others... " (some name is missing..)

Anyway, it may be a niche thing. But it could be a very modern and useful addition to LW's toolset.
Sounds great, but as you say very niche, plus I'd have to refresh my organic chemistry memory... Not sure I have the chops... Maybe after a few more episodes of Breaking Bad ;)

chikega
01-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I would like a Soft Contact Deformer based on Pixar Paper

http://www.youtube.com/embed/Luf3UrxeESY

combined with Blender's Dynamic Paint or Worley's Acid plugin (part of Polk Collection)

geo_n
01-19-2013, 05:55 PM
A renderpass and scene management would be great. Surpasses supports fprime and it doesn't need to do breakout scenes. That's a plus in my imo.
Doesn't currently work for newer lw versions and needs updating.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?120939-Surpasses-resurrection

source
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?120939-Surpasses-resurrection&p=1177784&viewfull=1#post1177784

LaughingJack
01-19-2013, 08:34 PM
orbiting bodies plugin..

something that can assign Mass to a volume(s) and Gravity to a volume(s) so that simple (or not) systems of orbiting bodies can be easily animated, where each body or object is assigned a mass and therefore a gravitational pull towards other bodies or objects, and for these bodies to join/coalese (combine their masses and volume), break (distribute their mass and volume) or bounce (no change to mass or volume), off of each other ?

unless we can do this already :)

OFF
01-19-2013, 08:43 PM
BVH-mocap layer-based mixer system! :)

OFF
01-19-2013, 09:14 PM
BVH-mocap layer-based mixer system! :)

Phil
01-19-2013, 09:27 PM
A renderpass and scene management would be great. Surpasses supports fprime and it doesn't need to do breakout scenes. That's a plus in my imo.
Doesn't currently work for newer lw versions and needs updating.
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?120939-Surpasses-resurrection

source
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?120939-Surpasses-resurrection&p=1177784&viewfull=1#post1177784

PassPort, Renewed is on the way. It's in a closed beta stage right now and isn't too far from a wider release. I'm hoping it will address most needs. I did plan to take a look at Surpasses, and indeed still have the code, but Passport got my attention.

geo_n
01-19-2013, 09:46 PM
PassPort, Renewed is on the way. It's in a closed beta stage right now and isn't too far from a wider release. I'm hoping it will address most needs. I did plan to take a look at Surpasses, and indeed still have the code, but Passport got my attention.

Exactly why I requested here so that another person not already swamped with coding(passport) can do it :D
But also I think Surpass is a better system in that it doesn't require break out scenes afaik. That is a big plus.