PDA

View Full Version : Record Pivot Rotation Question

VermilionCat
01-02-2013, 12:02 AM
Hi,
I thought RPR (+P) only worked for bones but it seems it also works for items.
But how do you remove RPR for items??

RebelHill
01-02-2013, 02:44 AM
Nope, it works for anything... as for removing it... you're pretty screwed. Only real option is to rotate something back to its previous state and rpr it again.

VermilionCat
01-02-2013, 03:01 AM
Only real option is to rotate something back to its previous state and rpr it again.

I'm surprised... Isn't this ridiculous?? Only bones can be safely restored to their previous state?
How come I know what degrees I rotated before I do RPR...

RebelHill
01-02-2013, 03:47 AM
You cant really do it "safely" for bones either... There's the bone edit removeRPR tool that does it.. but does it for ALL bones in a hierarchy, can't be done selectively. And no, there's nowhere in the scene you can find what the pivot rotation is to know what to turn it back to. Yup... its a glaring deficiency, but it is what it is (in maya its right there in an items attributes list, but hey).

You CAN, however, find it out by trawling the scene file in text editor... search the name of your item/bone/whatever... and look below in its initialisation attributes for a line such as...

PivotRotation 32.5 36 -42

Then you can either edit it directly there, and resave, or go back to layout and apply the appropriate inverse vals and rpr again.

VermilionCat
01-02-2013, 04:32 AM
Thanks, RebelHill. You are always helpful and full of knowledge!
Hopefully LW implements this function properly. It's very useful if it's dependable.

kyuzo
01-02-2013, 05:41 AM
Not sure if this is exactly the same thing, but I have 'Set Pivot Rotation' assigned to a button and hotkey in 9.6
It brings up a panel, with the objects HPB, showing any offset it has. These values can be zeroed out or manually changed. This sounds very similar to the info in the scene file RebelHill mentioned.

Derek

RebelHill
01-02-2013, 07:35 AM
Ah yes... that old one.

It was playing up some time ago (either that or it was the rotate pivot tool, or both)... Id quite forgotten about them.

kyuzo
01-02-2013, 07:46 AM
yeah, if I recall, I was having similar bother as VermilionCat, and I had vague memories of it from LW 7.x.
I had to go hunting for it in 9, and added it to the menus manually.

Derek

VermilionCat
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Thank you both. Rotate Pivot resets RPR values.