PDA

View Full Version : Dual G4 vs Single Processor G5

Glendalough
11-03-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi Folks,
Maybe someone could help with some basic questions. Having been uprooted from one country to another, am now faced with buying new computer.....

(1) Wondering how performance-wise a single processor G5 would compare to dual G4 when using Lightwave? Would their render times be the same or one noticably faster than the other?.........

(2) Is multi-threading going to continue to be developed or become a thing of the past (like supercharged cars, or dyna-glide transmission), i.e. only the high-end G5 is duel.......

(3) Are the Geforce and Radeon video ram cards(?) that ship with the G4 and G5 okay, or is there something to watch out for here?..........(remember reading things on this forum about something to watch out for).....

Any observations or enlightenment in this area would be greatly appreciated........

Beamtracer
11-03-2003, 03:52 PM
-Multithreading is the thing of the future. In a couple of years, all personal computers will use either multiple processors, or multiple-core processors.

-I wouldn't buy a G4 desktop computer at this stage. If it's a choice between the two, go for the G5 with an ATI 9800Pro card.

-Take into account that some functions in Lightwave are not yet multithreaded, so won't take advantage of two processors. Other functions do.

Ade
11-04-2003, 07:14 PM
Does radiosty and caustics use dual support trheads?

Glendalough
11-05-2003, 03:59 PM
Thanks Beam for your answer, I think to go with the single G5 is the answer. The Dual is just too expensive and priced high because it is just out, this does not inspire confidance (unless you have the money or optimismum to burn). Always think base model gives best value.........

But am afraid I'm sceptical about the Dual Scenario. Why is there only one Dual now. Last Janurary I bought the base G4, they were all duals......

As Ade says what is multi-threading and what is not in Lightwave?.....

mlinde
11-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Yeah, according to Macworld, Mac for Mac the G5 1.6 is haf-again as fast as a dual 1.42 G4.
With Apple having nothing faster than a dual 1.25 available right now, the entry level G5 does look good at $1999, although you gotta put a lot more memory in it.