PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question - Changes not saving to scene file

Sebasvideo
01-01-2013, 05:04 PM
Earlier today I bought the LW 11 Signature Courseware from Dan Ablan's website. Besides the tutorials it comes with a bunch of object and scenes files, so I figured I would open them to see what they were like. I opened a scene file that is a red ball hitting a stack of domino tiles and they all fall in sequence. Just to play with it I changed the ground from gray to black, added some reflection and switched to VPR to see what it looked like. Then I changed the color of the tiles, as well as some reflection. I saved the file to another folder where I'm saving my scenes, and closed Layout.

After a while I opened the scene and all the changes I had made were gone, and the colors were back to their defaults. I thought maybe I had made a mistake so I changed the colors again and saved the file to test this, but after closing Layout and opening the file again (and I made sure it was the file I had saved, not the one that comes in the tutorial), all the changes were gone again :bangwall:. Is this normal, and if so, what did I do wrong? :help:

Thanks,

Sebastian

JoePoe
01-01-2013, 05:12 PM
surface attributes are saved as part of the object (.lwo). You have to go to save > objects > "save current object" or "save all objects" as the case may be.
(I'm not on LW 11 but that's the way it's been before).

Welcome to LW!!

Sebasvideo
01-01-2013, 06:02 PM
Gotcha. Thanks!

Ryan Roye
01-01-2013, 06:58 PM
Also, unless something has changed since 9.6, don't bother using image editor "editing" tab... either I'm doing something wrong, or it has never reliably worked (that, and it affects all objects that use that image, which cuts further into its usefulness).

toby
01-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Also, unless something has changed since 9.6, don't bother using image editor "editing" tab... either I'm doing something wrong, or it has never reliably worked (that, and it affects all objects that use that image, which cuts further into its usefulness).
Works fine for me (9.6), and yes, clone it if you want to only affect certain items. But it is always best to save them as separate images after you get the look you want, instead of making lw do it at render time every time, and it saves ram, sometimes a lot.