PDA

View Full Version : Looking for views regarding 3Play 820 reliability

Bryn Cottrell
01-01-2013, 04:18 PM
Hi Folks.
I'm in the UK and looking at purchasing a 3Play 820 as I cannot afford an EVS, so I've been taking a look through the forum.
Many of troubleshooting threads seem to relate to earlier version products - but have got me wondering.
What is the reliability of the 3Play 820 like. Does it really crash during every game as stated in a few threads?
Is the product suitable for broadcast, or is it aimed at the semi-pro market?
Does Newtek have a support facility in the UK, and if so does anyone have any experience?
Why does the 820 not have dedicated Timecode Inputs? Does this cause any issues?
Does anyone use the 820 fed by UPS mains to improve reliability?

Any thoughts or comments would be gratefully received - as it's still a lot of money to invest and I need something 100% reliable.

CWaddington
01-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Hi Bryn,

Below are some answers to your questions.

Q. Is the product suitable for broadcast, or is it aimed at the semi-pro market?
A. 3Play 820 gives sports broadcasters, leagues, teams and schools an affordable slow motion and instant replay system for broadcast, webcast, arena and scoreboard displays. The low price point of 3Play makes multi-channel, multi-def replay available to a much broader base of broadcasters compared to other systems that are available.

Q. What is the reliability of the 3Play 820 like. Does it really crash during every game as stated in a few threads?
A. Don't let the low price put you off. 3Play 820 is an enterprise class appliance and as such delivers the performance people expect in broadcast environments. The system has multi-tiered redundant failsafe mechanisms in both hardware and software. Features such as redundant power supplies, hot-swappable storage and integrated system restore ensures rock solid operation.

Q. Why does the 820 not have dedicated Timecode Inputs? Does this cause any issues?
A. 3Play can supply timecode from its internal system clock, or can be fed external linear timecode (LTC) using Audio Input 7 group. This timecode is embedded in all video files captured during the session.

Q. Does anyone use the 820 fed by UPS mains to improve reliability?
A. Though not a requirement, I always recommend that you connect 3Play using a UPS. Likewise, consider A/C “power conditioning”, especially in situations where local power is unreliable or ‘noisy’.

Surge protection is especially important in some locales. Power conditioners can reduce wear on power supplies and other electronics, and provide a further measure of protection from surges, spikes, lightning and high voltage.

These are recommendations that I would make for any ‘mission critical’ system.

Q. Does NewTek have a support facility in the UK, and if so does anyone have any experience?
A. Last year NewTek opened an office in Windsor that serves EMEA and works closely with 3D Storm, the regional distributor, and the reseller channel to provide resources and support to their customers throughout the region.

I hope this helps :)

CWaddington
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Double posted by mistake