PDA

View Full Version : Make the Node editor more acessable and move it out from texture menu!

prometheus
01-01-2013, 08:37 AM
when tweaking textures of all kinds, wouldnīt we be better of to have the node editor moved out from the procedural texture list and placed directly as a button to edit?

As it is right now ..it is to hidden for newcomers,and for those who knows where to find it you will still have use the procedural texture and acess the node editing by scrolling down to find the node editor amongst all procedural textures.

This feels kind of irrational and a workflow killer, the node editor isnīt a texture procedural.. rather a node tool function to edit the textures with.

Just remove it from the menu list, and implement it directly acessable in the added texture layer.

Michael

lertola2
01-01-2013, 04:12 PM
I never noticed that there was a node editor in the procedural textures until your post. Isn't this node editor redundant? What can you do with it that you can't do with the node editor on the Surfaces panel?

-Joe

Tobian
01-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Hmm it might be nice to make it a 'type' (like gradient, image and procedural) but adding it as a procedural texture is precisely that: It's not a back-way to access the node editor proper for the surface, simply a procedural nodal texture, which allows you to access a node editor for any texturable input.

Adding it as an option would be complex as it would mean redesigning the 'texture channel' though it might be nice to have a window-within a window and have an actual embedded node editor in there too. Probably overcomplicating things. Really it would be better if LW simply had global nodal and be redesigned properly as such.

Sensei
01-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Node Editor procedural texture is made by Denis..

prometheus
01-02-2013, 07:32 AM
I never noticed that there was a node editor in the procedural textures until your post. Isn't this node editor redundant? What can you do with it that you can't do with the node editor on the Surfaces panel?

-Joe

Well itīs not the same really I think If you just want to edit one certain channel like luminosity and work on that directly on the surface panel, I think the main node editor is a little different in acess and how you work with it.

prometheus, don't compromise....

Node Editor procedural texture is made by Denis..

Indeed, It might be so, though I thought it was added as standard in most channels by the Newtek team? isnīt that node editor in
there as procedural texture even without dpontīs node?

Michael

Sensei
01-02-2013, 07:49 AM
http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/nodes/nodes/Node_Editors.html#NodeText

Maybe LW v10 or LW v11 got it built-in. Not sure..

Sensei
01-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Making additional layer type for Texture Editor is huge task.

Making just new procedural texture is 5 minutes or so.
Filling LWNodalAccess (copy and paste whatever is in LWTextureAccess compatible with nodes) is another 5 minutes of programmer work.

Any newly created plugin has/should have support for nodes since beginning - it's much easier to develop it than using Texture Editors.

Tobian
01-02-2013, 08:44 AM
There was a native version since LW11 Sensei. Previous to that yes, Denis did make it. I am not sure if this one is just re-purposing the code Denis did or new built, but either way it's native now.

It's slightly redundant as, yes, as it was pointed out, it only alows *one* channel to be accessed, not all of them, however it does allow a note editor to be in *every* place where a texture input was, which was not the case before. (almost everything is texturable in LW, so this is effectively makes everything nodal). It's a quick hack to make Nodal a lot more universal than it was, but, yes, a REAL global nodal editor would be much better...