PDA

View Full Version : Anybody use Strata Foto CX?

sublimationman
12-30-2012, 01:06 AM
It's only $99 today only on Macupdate.

Looks like a great way to get 3D objects built from Photos and it's normally $699

Seriously thinking of buying but wanted to ask if it's any good first. It supposedly can save as 3Ds file so should be able to open in Lightwave.

Also Strata Design 3D CX is $200 (normally like $1,100). Or both for $249.

Not sure I want to learn another 3D program from the ground up even if it's cheap but the pictures to object thing sounds great (if it works).

wesleycorgi
12-30-2012, 07:54 AM
I tried the demo when this deal came around before and it was okay at best. From what I heard AutoDesk had a free Web-based version. And I think they have an iPhone/iOS version --- I'll try to find and post a link.

wesleycorgi
12-30-2012, 08:01 AM
Here it : http://www.123dapp.com/catch

In a podcast, they said it worked fairly well. I would say save the $99 and let AD use the "cloud" to create your 3D object.

BigHache
12-30-2012, 11:00 AM
I've used Catch 123D. It works, but because it's free AutoDesk wants to be able to do whatever they want with your photos and models generated on their cloud.

I've downloaded it but not tried it out yet, Insight3D (http://insight3d.sourceforge.net/). Free and opensource, seems decent given it's free and opensource.

wesleycorgi
12-30-2012, 11:40 AM
I've used Catch 123D. It works, but because it's free AutoDesk wants to be able to do whatever they want with your photos and models generated on their cloud.

Good point about privacy issues.

sublimationman
12-30-2012, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will save my money and try the free sources. This was "almost" an impulse buy for me but I figured I better check it out first.

Having a 3D printer now, it would be nice to have a scan ability. I will check out the posted resources.

jwiede
12-31-2012, 02:09 PM
The few times I've used FotoCX I've found it functional, if a bit tedious. It does seem a bit "friendlier" than "Insight3D", though, and without Catch123d's pesky IP issues.

Who else saw "Insight3D" and immediately thought of the Amiga package? I wonder if the (current) Insight3D author is aware of the name collision?