PDA

View Full Version : Furniture - Sofa

ravantra
11-03-2003, 02:50 PM
Hello,
This is my first post on this forum. The Sofa was a project completed for an interior designer. The textures are all creates in photoshop or procedural. The lighting is 2 area lights and 1 spot light. Radiosity rendering, Low AA and 6.5 hours rendering time.
Comments welcomed.

mattbolton
11-03-2003, 03:41 PM
The sofa looks nice.
Ouch on the rendering times; could have something to do with the radiosity and the area lights.
Unless you have to have radiosity, there are ways of "faking" radiosity that would render much much faster with similar lighting/shadowing results.

Cageman
11-03-2003, 03:42 PM
I like the modelling and texturing, but overall, the sofa looks very hard and not inviting at all to sit on. :)

drkorg
11-03-2003, 03:58 PM
You are on the right track... but unless you were aiming for the '70 look of the plastic instead of fabric upholstery, you need to reduce the gloss from your materials. You might also want to experiment with the "SasLite" plugin to add some fabric feel and fuzziness. Why is it taking your computer so long to render? It is a fairly simple object...

Sincerely,
[email protected]

ravantra
11-03-2003, 04:38 PM
drkorg - tried saslite and client was not happy with results. I was not aiming for any look other than pleasing the client. I actually do not like the stlye of couch. Material selected was mohair with high sheen. I could probably do better. thanks.

cageman- thanks, the sofa is for a dining room and not meant to relax in. Clients wanted this?!!

mattbolton - rendering times were higher because of VERY large area lights and monte carlo rediosity. I was ok with rendering time as I got the result I needed overnight. Tried other rendering methods that were quicker (10 minutes) but did not like results.

thanks all for your input, much appreciated.....

wacom
11-03-2003, 09:55 PM
Things like this should save your bacon AND time...

http://www.hades-studios.com/hdritutorial

Even if you're not doing any render tricks Motion blur can help speed up times if used with certain reductions.