PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 use

djwaterman
12-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Just wondering how others are using Windows 8. I got a notebook with it already installed so I've been using it, but I ended up using a plugin that installs the old start button menu so I don't have to deal with that splash page thing. Does anyone actually use that splash page UI? Am I missing out on something by negating it entirely? Anyway, Windows 8 is nice and fast, but I'm interested to know if others make use of the splash page.

Hieron
12-29-2012, 04:54 AM
works fine here, splash page and all. The old start menu feels clunky and slower to work with now. But as usual, the internet is filled with negative opinions about win8 the ui etc.

djwaterman
12-29-2012, 05:03 AM
But in what context do you use the splash page? I'll use it if someone can tell me why I should. I don't twitter, facebook or share photos with friends but, and I sort of assumed the UI was designed for that kind of user. I will admit I didn't spend any time looking into it.

meatycheesyboy
12-29-2012, 11:25 AM
I use it as a start menu replacement, primarily to launch programs. I am rarely in it for more than a second or two and never even notice that it's up to be honest. I'm able to use it quickly because of the global search functions built into Windows 8. For example, if I want to launch Chrome, I press Win key then type chr, press enter and chrome is launched. For modeler, layout, after effects, etc. it's the same procedure. Press the win key, start typing the name press enter, keep working. The vast majority of my time though is spent on the desktop, which functions very similarly as it did in Windows 7, Vista, and XP.

To be honest, I don't really see Windows 8 as much of a revolution. The start screen behaves very similarly to the start menu, it just looks different. My favorite feature in Windows 8 is actually the streamlining that they did in the areas of file copying and moving. I know that sounds really mundane but I love the new file copy dialog.

COBRASoft
12-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Make a new toolbar on your desktop (windows, dopus, ...). I use DOpus, all my apps are on it that I need daily. Others... Windows key + some typing...

tcoursey
01-02-2013, 02:40 PM
I use Windows 8 at the house. Love it. But I have to admit it's not for the "enterprise" Most of us here don't have to worry about that. But that is where most of the UI negative feedback is directed too. What boss wan'ts there employees "start" screen to be all socialized with facebook, twitter, live tile distractions.

Like I said, I love it for the house. We have not upgraded at the office yet. No real need as win7 is great. For those that want win 8 and want a start menu this guy has made mucho $$$ I'm sure. Check it out.....It's a real nice add-on.
http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

wrightyp100
01-04-2013, 01:59 AM
I think that its a little worrying how much everyone on the internet is crying over no start menu. People can use complicated 3d programs, compositing programs, do much more with the likes of Lightwave and other 3d apps than me, but the world comes tumbling down because there is no "Start" button?

I think the world needs to look at itself in the mirror.

1st world problems indeed ;)

Cryonic
01-05-2013, 10:59 PM
Even funnier given how long computers got on without it before. And Apple systems never had one, heheh.

shrox
01-05-2013, 11:07 PM
I think that its a little worrying how much everyone on the internet is crying over no start menu. People can use complicated 3d programs, compositing programs, do much more with the likes of Lightwave and other 3d apps than me, but the world comes tumbling down because there is no "Start" button?

I think the world needs to look at itself in the mirror.

1st world problems indeed ;)

They messed with the steering wheel...

bazsa73
01-06-2013, 01:42 AM
Let's rant!

sadkkf
01-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Just getting started with 8 here and have mixed feelings. To shut down you need to go back to the start screen, hover, click, click. I think there are ways to shorten this process, but that's the method right out of the box. Other than that, the start screen is really just a large start menu. No serious difference.

Serling
01-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Just getting started with 8 here and have mixed feelings. To shut down you need to go back to the start screen, hover, click, click. I think there are ways to shorten this process, but that's the method right out of the box. Other than that, the start screen is really just a large start menu. No serious difference.

I saw a laptop I might have been interested in getting except for Windows 8. IMHO, there was nothing wrong with the Windows 2000 UI and every Windows OS I've had since gets the same Windows Classic makeover before I do another thing to it.

Microsoft seems to think turning out UI's designed by Fisher-Price enhances the user experience. Not for this PC user.

shrox
01-06-2013, 09:57 AM
...Microsoft seems to think turning out UI's designed by Fisher-Price enhances the user experience. Not for this PC user.

Excellent.

sadkkf
01-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I actually see this type of interface more and more. The PS3 adopted it recently too, but I agree it doesn't work well on a PC without a touch screen. Seems like it could be integrated better with the desktop.

shrox
01-06-2013, 10:48 AM
I don't have a touch screen. People are not going to like having to hold their arm out in front of them after 20 minutes. Did they try it in the real world?

sadkkf
01-06-2013, 11:15 AM
I'm not disagreeing, but Win 8 really isn't a tactile UI. The start screen wouldn't be used for 20 minutes. Just to launch apps and check headlines, weather, whatever. Believe me, I'm not a MS apologist, but think the crits of this change are a bit harsh.

The gesturing in Minority Report seems exhausting to me. All those clear screens in Avengers and Avatar and everywhere else also seem ridiculous. I can only imagine how distracting it would be trying to focus on the screen with the room around me peeking through.

DonJMyers
01-06-2013, 11:29 AM
The metro ui "spash screen" is annoying to me and I don't use it. IE on metro has no tabs and I couldnt' figure out how to go from one web page to another with tabs at first. And if I can't figure it out my computer clients will be lost. The main part of windows, like the task manager, is much improved.

But microsoft tried to make one UI fit all and it doesn't work. When my clients want new PC's in early 2013 I would prefer to backorder a windows 7 machine.

shrox
01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
The ads show lots of finger gesture driven apps. It gets tiring after a while.

wrightyp100
01-07-2013, 03:26 AM
I like it. Its cheery. I also like Fisher Price. I think it feels quicker to get around files and such. But you know, its subjective innit.

Bill Carey
01-07-2013, 07:15 AM
While I give them points for trying, it has it's really annoying quirks. Things that had finally gotten simple, like shutting down the pc, are now multiple clicks again. When you're working in the desktop and double click to view a picture it puts you in the metro app to view. Close the app and it leaves you in metro, you have to switch back to the desktop on your own. It should put you back to the calling program, something I hope they fix quickly, it's not just the picture view app that behaves badly. You shouldn't feel like your runnig two operating systems as often as you do.

raymondtrace
01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Win8's interface caters to consumers instead of creators. I like the tiles that show new subscribed content but I do not get on the computer to read news all day. The start screen is just window dressing that gets kicked aside quickly.

I use these to restore menus to my desktop...
http://alastria.com/software/7stacks/
http://www.classicshell.net/

An annoyance I see with the tiles is that side scrolling with the mouse, pad gestures or arrow keys does not seem to work. I have to click/drag on the scroll bar at the bottom to move L-R.

BigHache
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
While I give them points for trying, it has it's really annoying quirks. Things that had finally gotten simple, like shutting down the pc, are now multiple clicks again. When you're working in the desktop and double click to view a picture it puts you in the metro app to view. Close the app and it leaves you in metro, you have to switch back to the desktop on your own. It should put you back to the calling program, something I hope they fix quickly, it's not just the picture view app that behaves badly. You shouldn't feel like your runnig two operating systems as often as you do.

This is an area Microsoft's tends to not focus on at all, reducing clicks for mundane, everyday tasks. I guess this falls into what's now termed UX. The software works, but obviously no one spent time seeing if it could be optimized.

All-in-all I'm really tired of the marketing for the next Windows OS, the next Mac OS... the OS sits there and manages my other software, you know the software that I actually do work with. No one does work with the OS. What I would like to know is how Windows 8 manages my other software better. Does it?

shrox
01-07-2013, 10:31 AM
If I don't move the mouse for few minutes, Lightwave stalls, I click the X to close it, get a dialog box, then select "Restore Program" and it wakes back up. Very annoying. Win 8 is just keep busy work for Microsoft.

Bill Carey
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
This is an area Microsoft's tends to not focus on at all, reducing clicks for mundane, everyday tasks. I guess this falls into what's now termed UX. The software works, but obviously no one spent time seeing if it could be optimized.

All-in-all I'm really tired of the marketing for the next Windows OS, the next Mac OS... the OS sits there and manages my other software, you know the software that I actually do work with. No one does work with the OS. What I would like to know is how Windows 8 manages my other software better. Does it?

In a word, no.

shrox
01-07-2013, 03:53 PM
When I launch modeler from the taskbar, the menus are half their proper size.

Serling
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
When I launch modeler from the taskbar, the menus are half their proper size.

Problem is, everything is pre-loaded with Windows 8 now. Looks like I'll have to find a place that still sells Win 7 Pro and get that when I get the laptop, so that I can reformat the new machine with the old OS. A new MacBook Pro is out of the question: Apple wants $800 more for a machine with fewer features than the custom HP I'm ordering.

Apple is (still) overpriced and underpowered and Windows still sucks. Amazing how little things have changed in 20 years. :D

meatycheesyboy
01-07-2013, 05:31 PM
An annoyance I see with the tiles is that side scrolling with the mouse, pad gestures or arrow keys does not seem to work. I have to click/drag on the scroll bar at the bottom to move L-R.

Side scrolling doesn't work but using the mouse wheel up and down does. Down = right, up = left.

rwhunt99
01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
I work in IT, a professor from MIT says Win 8 is a Xmas gift you give to someone you hate.

The "metro" UI is for social networking, the desktop is for working. Win 8 is simply a means to make money, there is no need to upgrade, there is no need to be herded like sheep.

Microsoft is trying and will eventually succeed in taking control away from you, win 8 is a major step forward for them, not for you.

I am looking forward to the first service pack, so far, Win 8 is a disaster, I see then giving you a better "experience" with the desktop when the service pack comes out.

The majority of companies are still using XP, it is a very expensive proposition to migrate from one OS to another and companies only do it usually from department to department depending on need.
I do believe that Win 7 is the best upgrade since XP. Worse comes to worse, there is always Wndows 9

shrox
01-07-2013, 06:57 PM
This new Dell from Costco came with 8...

LW_Will
01-07-2013, 11:29 PM
Windows 8 has schizophrenia. On one side, its pretty pictures, and simple colors, and programs that run in sandboxed little empires. On the other side, its Windows... but, there are 2 control panels that control 2 different systems. So, you have to leave the Desktop side to actually see the picture or video you are working on. It is beyond frustrating.

The computer has two minds, running at the same time. I am quickly loosing mine in the process.

I have 2 Win7 keys, 1 upgrade version of Win8... and I am not running Windows 8 at this time.

I MIGHT reload the Windows, but only after I manage to get another system on its feet and running Win7.

I like my new system... AMD FX 8120, GTX 660 (!), GA970A-UD3... It FINALLY works correctly!

kopperdrake
01-08-2013, 04:46 AM
I booted up my raspberry pi before Christmas. The GUI is it used was so simple - it reminded me of the old Amiga. I yearn for simple, when the OS sits in the background and does its job of enabling applications to work as smoothly as possible, to transition between them as easily as possible, to manage files wherever they are (internal drive, network drive, cloud drive, ftp, wherever) as easily, accurately and quickly as possible.

Bells and whistles just add extraneous noise to the raw product.