PDA

View Full Version : iPhone, Android, or other?

stevenpalomino
12-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Just wondering what the community here was using for mobile devices.

stevenpalomino
12-28-2012, 04:48 PM
It might also be useful to include-if you're using "Other"-the type of phone you have. I'm not trying to start a "phone war" but maybe we could also list favorite features or why we chose one over the other? I'm getting a bit into mobile development so I'm trying to get an idea of what people use and why :)

meatycheesyboy
12-28-2012, 05:55 PM
Voted other, Windows Phone 7.5 soon to be Windows Phone 8

wesleycorgi
12-28-2012, 06:44 PM
I am an Phone user since the first one, but my ideal phone right now is the Galaxy Note. The iPhone5 is kind of a let down. With my aging eyes, I need a larger form factor. If I wasn't so invested in so many iOS apps, I would have jumped to the Note 2 or even a windows phone.

realgray
12-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Can Ipad users vote Iphone?

stevenpalomino
12-28-2012, 08:26 PM
iPad / iPhone. Same thing. Just getting a feel for which devices people use.

nemofish
12-28-2012, 08:29 PM
I vote for android. It's useful for white collar workers.

nickdigital
12-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Galaxy S3 for me.

shrox
12-28-2012, 10:54 PM
I like my Kindle Fire. Not a phone, but a great video tablet.

Bill Carey
12-28-2012, 11:26 PM
I have an iPhone. Interface is clean, consistent and the apps operate in similar ways. That's important when operating it during meetings, to answer quick questions etc.

Cougar12dk
12-29-2012, 12:12 AM
I have a HTC One XL and it is rocksolid phone for calling, texting, scheduling and applications. My wife is looking at getting an iPhone 4, when my brother gets one in stock. She wants a smartphone, and I look forward to her getting one, so she'll leave mine well alone :D

DrStrik9
12-29-2012, 09:43 AM
My smartphone is smarter than I am. :+) Droid Razor M. I only use it as a phone, for scheduling, and for looking stuff up on the net. Not using very many apps, hence no iPhone needed. It includes free Google GPS, which also is nice.

RebelHill
12-29-2012, 10:16 AM
HTC legend for this guy. Android is ofc fine... but the HTC sense UI on top makes it much nicer imo.

COBRASoft
12-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Sony Xperia Arc S here, so Android :). I'm keeping my eye on Windows Phone though (.Net developer), they have the fastest/smoothest interface of all and apps are coming rapidly. No i**** for me, never liked anything from Apple and their branding to be honest.

toby
12-29-2012, 11:06 PM
Galaxy SII, hating it. Constant glitches. 5 clicks to quit an app. Going back to iphone eventually.

cresshead
12-30-2012, 07:21 AM
kindle fire HD and ipad 3 i do not use phones for reading forums as they are too small

stevenpalomino
12-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Looks like iPhone and android are pretty much even. That's pretty interesting.

stobbs
12-30-2012, 12:10 PM
Galaxy S2 here - really like it. Apps not as good as Iphone but half monthly price for similar features. Really like the screen and camera - bigger than iphone 4 but smaller enough to fit in pocket even with fairly rugged case.

rwhunt99
12-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm using the Galaxy S3, but I really hate phones, especially texting. The S3 has a microphone to say your text and seems to work fairly good, with little editing, but kind of kills the whole idea of texting in the first place. Other than that, I have no land line so everything is cell phone and the Galaxy seems to handle things quite well, the screen is large, large number of apps, I think in some reviews it is one of the few phones that competes closely with the i-phone. So far, the battery life sems to be fairly good, and it is removable , I have a friend who has a battery charger he sticks an extra battery in and can swap out fairly easily.

Lightwolf
12-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Other: Nokia - but I don't really have much use for a mobile since I'm in the office most of the time.

Cheers,
Mike

LW_Will
12-30-2012, 03:18 PM
Nexus 7, Android 4.2.1... again, not a phone, but a great tablet. If you were making a mobile input device... so to speak... ;-)

COBRASoft
12-30-2012, 04:55 PM
Lightwolf: what Nokia? I still have my N900 around, pretty good smartphone, pitty they stopped Meamo :(.

Pavlov
12-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Iphone here, hating it as hell. Hating Apple, to say it all.
A company with the ability to push million people to buy a phone made of **glass**, with no replaceable battery, with an overpumped cost, with an utterly annoying usability bottleneck like iTunes... a company like this is like "evil" to me.
The whole itunes thing is so badly constrictive that i wonder why iPhone sells so much. Last, i see danger in very clever mass manipulation (let's call it "marketing")... when thousand people *think* they need an object so hard that they can sleep in front of a shop, i feel kinda something obscure behind.
I wont throw a single euro at apple again, for pratical and philosophical reasons.

Paolo

Lightwolf
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
Lightwolf: what Nokia? I still have my N900 around, pretty good smartphone, pitty they stopped Meamo :(.
5800 something... Symbian 40 if I remember correctly.
My partner Dagmar loves her Symbian 60 based E7 - mainly because it actually has a physical keyboard.

I do have a Nexus 7 now, but that's just for couch surfing really.

Cheers,
Mike

Bill Carey
12-31-2012, 05:16 AM
Iphone here, hating it as hell. Hating Apple, to say it all.
A company with the ability to push million people to buy a phone made of **glass**, with no replaceable battery, with an overpumped cost, with an utterly annoying usability bottleneck like iTunes... a company like this is like "evil" to me.
The whole itunes thing is so badly constrictive that i wonder why iPhone sells so much. Last, i see danger in very clever mass manipulation (let's call it "marketing")... when thousand people *think* they need an object so hard that they can sleep in front of a shop, i feel kinda something obscure behind.
I wont throw a single euro at apple again, for pratical and philosophical reasons.

Paolo

Lol, take the same tick list, word it differently and you'll get why I like the iPhone. To each their own.

Pavlov
12-31-2012, 06:58 AM
eheh - that's so true.
But keepin' hating the Apple here :)

Paolo

COBRASoft
12-31-2012, 08:19 AM
No blackberry's... I'll wonder what their new OS will be like. I think they should have gone Android instead of developing their own OS again.

JamesCurtis
12-31-2012, 09:21 AM
I voted Android. I have Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. But I'm not sure if the vote took. I love the pressure sensitive pen feature for drawing and sketching idea purposes.

gclayton
12-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Windows 7.5 (Lumina 900), Windows 8 (Lumina 920) for development work.

stevenpalomino
01-02-2013, 08:42 AM
I guess I'm the only one with a blackberry haha.

DrStrik9
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
I had a Brickberry also a few years back. It was SLOW as molasses. The first time I used an android, I mistyped something, held down the delete key the same amount of time it would have taken to delete one letter on the Blackberry, and the entire paragraph was deleted! :) Blew my mind.

stevenpalomino
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM
hahaha I had one of those older models too. I have an updated Bold 9900 though. Quite fast.

Lewis
01-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Android GalaxyS here

ken_g9
01-04-2013, 04:15 AM
Galaxy Nexus user here. Loving stock Android.

Mitja
01-04-2013, 04:30 AM
I'm happy to see that android has finally overtaken the ios.
Seriously, the iphone5 16GB in Italy costs 729€, is any phone worth that much??!

gerry_g
01-04-2013, 08:54 AM
only when you break it and need to breeze into an Apple store to swap it for a refurb at a very reasonable price or free within the first year and seeing as no one ever ever breaks a phone it's not much of an argument is it

Pavlov
01-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Gerry - not sure about the meaning of your post. I've broken my phone, and if i had not a Casco insurance i should have paid 200+ euros, but NOT before having **signed** info nearest apple point. Like if it was a luxury restaurant. Apple=presumption made brand.

Paolo

ncr100
01-04-2013, 10:11 AM
Galaxy Note II. A "large and in charge" phablet.

Great for watching videos, surfing, maps, and emailing. Feels like I'm talking into a notebook however.

http://www.sidetalking.com/Images-Disturbing/MVC-214F.jpg

pauland
01-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Three years or so ago, our house had no Apple kit at all. I always bought Nokia phones and we had a succession of LG, Sony-Ericsson and Samsung phones in the family. Now we have two iPhone4 s and two iPhone 5 s, and no grumbles at all. There was a lot of grumbling about the LG and Samsung phones.

I think the Galaxy S III is a bit wide and plasticky, but the screen is impressive. You need a big pocket!

I'm not sure if this thread is just turning into Apple angst.

Darth Mole
01-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Apple here all the way. You can be as angsty as you like, I'm not gonna switch any time soon :-)

toby
01-04-2013, 12:19 PM
I'm happy to see that android has finally overtaken the ios.
Seriously, the iphone5 16GB in Italy costs 729, is any phone worth that much??!
!!
Is that with or without a contract? In the US it's 200 bucks with contract, same as Galaxy! How much is a galaxy over there?

Mitja
01-05-2013, 06:23 AM
!!
Is that with or without a contract? In the US it's 200 bucks with contract, same as Galaxy! How much is a galaxy over there?
Without contract, unlocked version.
Galaxy s3 is about 599, but you can easily find it at 500€ with 32GB.
I'm on sony xperia s, paid 420€ at the time.

toby
01-05-2013, 02:09 PM
Without contract, unlocked version.
Galaxy s3 is about 599, but you can easily find it at 500 with 32GB.
I'm on sony xperia s, paid 420 at the time.
I wouldn't pay more than 200 for a smart phone! :deal:

Andrewstopheles
01-05-2013, 06:35 PM
Samsung Galaxy Note (the first one). Quite happy with it. Prefer it over my iPhone, which I am no longer using but may repurpose into a music player or something.

Cryonic
01-05-2013, 10:58 PM
I wouldn't pay more than 200 for a smart phone! :deal:

You're also in the US, where we've allowed a few companies to control the airwaves and think it is great. We also pay for every service that in a number of other countries, like Korea or Japan are free... like text messaging...

toby
01-06-2013, 12:21 AM
You're also in the US, where we've allowed a few companies to control the airwaves and think it is great. We also pay for every service that in a number of other countries, like Korea or Japan are free... like text messaging...
Very true - apparently the rate we pay for texts, when comparing the amount of data they are, comes out to about $1500.00 per megabyte. The tiny amount of data that texts use can easily piggy-back other streams, taking up space that can't otherwise be filled, a bit like hyperthreading, so there's actually no cost to the phone companies to transmit them. It's become a scam. You can get around this with apps like Viber or WhatsApp, but anyone you want to text has to have the same app installed. iphone to iphone however (3gs and up) skips the whole scam, and does it for free automatically. Most people still pay for texts anyway, otherwise they couldn't text people who don't have an iphone - oh well :yingyang:

Rayek
01-06-2013, 01:45 AM
Other - none! Such freedom.

Mitja
01-06-2013, 03:55 AM
SMS are really free in japan??!

safetyman
01-07-2013, 05:27 AM
Samsung Galaxy SIII here. Best phone I've ever used -- and I've used quite a few. GPS, web, email, voice recognition, music player, camera, etc, etc.

kopperdrake
01-08-2013, 05:35 AM
iPhone for peace of mind. It works. I don't use iTunes - can't stand it. Music is bought on CD, ripped and stored on my hard drive where I physically copy it to a device to listen to. iTunes is only used to get podcasts I can listen to whilst working outside. iPad - my wife bought it for me a year ago. It's replaced my laptop in the house, for general web browsing, and gets used for portfolio showing for work. I've looked briefly at a Samsung tablet that came in as part of a project (before going out again as part of the same project), and don't know enough about the differences of all the tablets to make a judgement call. I have what I have, and will use it until it dies, like pretty much anything I buy. I do like the fact that I can access photos on my iPad that I took on my iPhone, and vice versa. I do not use facebook on any device, and have no real interest in social media other than forums (which I use a lot) and a personal blog I use as an online diary that is not searchable on search engines.

warmiak
01-08-2013, 05:49 AM

Nothing is ever free ...