12-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Here is the update post:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132512-Lightwave-11-5-Release-Update

sandman300
12-28-2012, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the heads up.

3DGFXStudios
12-28-2012, 10:25 AM
Cool! Still can't wait to play with 11.5. I'm wondering what the extra not announced features are :hey:

snsmoore
12-28-2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the update and adding more features as well! Definitely worth the wait!

kfinla
12-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Glad to hear its close. Been eagerly wanting to play with the new features and see a handful of bugs gone since the summer.

Andrewstopheles
12-28-2012, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the update! I hope you and the team are enjoying the holidays. :)

Netvudu
12-28-2012, 11:48 AM
That´s nice news. And I´m sure everybody here will agree the best reason for a delay is to polish the product before release.

Wade
12-28-2012, 11:49 AM
"up to the gills" - :)

50one
12-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Fantastic news! Happy new year to all the LW3D team!

sellis
12-28-2012, 12:48 PM
That's great news.
I hope you all have a really good New Year too.

zapper1998
12-28-2012, 01:05 PM
That's great news.
I hope you all have a really good New Year too.

+1

vipvip242
12-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for these great infos. It was just what i wished ( & prefer to wait if it is to obtain a rock-solid version)
Best wishes for the future!

Fadlabi
12-28-2012, 01:40 PM
That's good news!

dfblem
12-28-2012, 02:00 PM
Awesome news, my excitement level just increased another thousand degrees, lol. Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed new year!

NadaTooma
12-28-2012, 02:34 PM
This is exciting news. Can't wait!

antsj
12-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Yes,
Very Good news on the 11.% update. It is also good news to hear that more features have been added and release has been delayed to "polish" the final release. Now just a few more weeks.

aj

BCazzell
12-28-2012, 03:03 PM
By all means, polish away. :)

drako
12-28-2012, 03:07 PM
waitinggggggggggggggggggggggggg.......and we are happy..........great news happy new lw year.....

3DGFXStudios
12-28-2012, 03:14 PM
It is just now that I noticed that the i is missing in the title. Has any one else noticed that....?

vncnt
12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
You are an exellent debugger.

HAPPY NEWYEAR

3DGFXStudios
12-28-2012, 03:20 PM
Haha I hope Rob himself posted this and not one of the programmers. Otherwise there is a lot debugging needed... :D

Chris S. (Fez)
12-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Excellent! Thanks for the update.

XswampyX
12-28-2012, 03:42 PM
This is great news. But don't polish it too much, or you'll go blind. Share the love. ;D

Burchigb
12-28-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the update!

evenflcw
12-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Ditto!

Looking forward to see the polished goods.

Ztreem
12-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Cool! Looking forward to play with it.

ivanze
12-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Great News!! Thanks!!

alesxander
12-28-2012, 04:18 PM
Excellent news, Rob. Regards from Costa Rica :)

bazsa73
12-28-2012, 04:23 PM
Wonderful!

COBRASoft
12-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Thx for the heads up, nice timing too :). Really interested in the non-announced extra stuff!

jasonwestmas
12-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Mooore Features? Gee I was hoping for a better/improved workflow.

Darth Mole
12-28-2012, 06:04 PM
Any chance of a few hints as to the new, new stuff? Looking forward to this update a lot, I think it will be super-shiny and well worth the wait. Give me something to look forward to at the end of January!

Serling
12-28-2012, 11:45 PM
I'll be attending DAVE School in April. I found out that my daughter's Block 4 was the last block in which they would be teaching LightWave. So, as much as I have enjoyed my run with LW, it looks like I'll be moving to Maya in the near future. Still, looking forward to the 11.5 update.

MAUROCOR
12-29-2012, 03:06 AM
I'll be attending DAVE School in April. I found out that my daughter's Block 4 was the last block in which they would be teaching LightWave. So, as much as I have enjoyed my run with LW, it looks like I'll be moving to Maya in the near future. Still, looking forward to the 11.5 update.

So sad to hear that!:oye:

Andy Webb
12-29-2012, 04:55 AM
I don't know about polish, but a bit of elbow grease wouldn't go amiss :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

tayotain2
12-29-2012, 06:24 AM
First Polish, then Finnished?

MarcusM
12-29-2012, 06:43 AM
Watch out, someone can think that new release will have Polish language ;p
Waiting for polished LW and i am very curious this not mentioned new things!

allabulle
12-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the update, Rob. Enjoy your holidays everyone!

rwhunt99
12-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Is this going to be a free point upgrade?

cagey5
12-29-2012, 01:00 PM
Yes

AmigaNewTek
12-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Cool!!!

Can't wait....

jwiede
12-29-2012, 05:26 PM
Mooore Features? Gee I was hoping for a better/improved workflow.
The more features added to the existing architecture/infrastructure, the more it feels to me like that infrastructure won't be changing significantly anytime soon. I hope that's not the case (as most of my pain points with LW are apparently integral to the existing infrastructure), but it certainly feels that way.

valu
12-29-2012, 07:06 PM

I'm very sad my self too !
Dave School was the great place to learn LW in production.
Maybe Newtek could make something to change that status?!?!

valu
12-29-2012, 07:15 PM
I hope Rob and the guys take some time with fiber fx and it's Alpha problem.
Simple Skin have some problems with Alpha maps as well.
I was making a pre-production of a character animation Feature Film and I suggested LW as a main Tool, but those problems
Was a really down side to the green light of the Tool ( LW ).
I hope LW11.5 change that.
I will hate to have to work with Maya for a Three years project.
Cloth dynamics is on my wish list as well :)

Go Rob, Go !!!

Serling
12-29-2012, 07:48 PM

I think the reason for the decision to move to Maya is because the industry is so heavily invested in Maya. The school needs to turn out students prepared for work in the industry as soon as they leave school, and the industry needs them/us to be trained in Maya. It kinda' sucks for me because I've spent 5 years teaching myself LightWave and now, suddenly, I find myself having to learn Maya.

Still, if I can come out of school with a better chance to land a job upon graduation, I'd learn to model with a hammer and chisel if needed. :)

valu
12-29-2012, 08:17 PM
You're right. That's the reason.
LW is a great tool, but kind have some troubles to make a big production or a feature film.
The problem is that those little issues are in most cases, lack of attention to the details from Newtek.
As I said, I had problems with Alpha Channel ....hahahaha... It's a joke!
I hoppe the 11.5 release save us all from the others packages nightmare.
I truly believe in LW and it's capasity. It's just a matter of twiking a little.

Bookman
12-29-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm very sad my self too !

unlikely (unless the bought the school and subsidized which is laughably unlikely.), it's nothing against NT or Lightwave, but rather just the state of the industry. There are very few LW jobs out there these days, and you only have a small hand full of companies that will use it, and there is no guarantee that those same companies will be able to continue to use it. I my self have been forced to start learning Max, not at all happy about that, but I have to go where the work is. I still plan on using LW, and keeping updated with it, but it will probably just be for personal and occasional freelance for the foreseeable future.

A school like the Dave school has to move with the industry, it's core principle has been to get people jobs in the industry. Lately the best it has been able to manage is getting people into places that do stereo conversion not much in the way of 3D jobs, it's something that they should have done a long time ago, and even though I hate that, it is what it is.

NT is right at this point to make the best possible releases of LW that it can, it really is the only way to sway back studios, as much as I am frustrated at any delay in delivering me new tools etc, it's better that they release the best possible value that they can offer even if it's just a point release. Make no mistake that LW, despite what NT likes to tell us, LW if fighting for it's life in the Television and film markets, as well I am sure as other ones as well. 9 times out of 10 it has nothing to do with the quality of the software, it's an archaic reputation, that it had built up by a hand full of people, but once seeds of discourse are planted they can be really hard to uproot and prove false. I think the only way to fight that is to keep doing that they are doing release wise. Sure I would love to have early access, but that's not up to me. I could probably push to get in the beta, but I have more to do right now than I can deal with, without spending several hours a day being a serious beta user, and that doesn't help anyone but me :P .

I think in terms of software, the future of LW is bright, but in terms of who's using it on what... winter is coming.

valu
12-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I agree with you Bookman,
Even wanting to see LW in my hands as Soon as possible, I think this time the tool have to be perfect for production.
I live in Brazil, and 3DS Max is the tool they use here the most. It's a pain in the *** to find good LW people, but we have good LW warriors holding up from the 80,s and 90's. I'm one of them.
My studio is LW based and I love the tool. I do character animation even before the 9.6 and 10 features.
The problem is that even me wanting to spread the LW to bigger productions, there are issues that holds back.
LW lost a lot of users here because of the lack of improvement on it's tool sets.
Now the guys are backing on track and I hope we have time to spread the LW word to the industry, but this release have to be perfect.
It's good to have new features, but we can live without.
As long as the remaining tool set are great.

jasonwestmas
12-29-2012, 09:00 PM
See, this is where I start to get more disappointed. Newtek has had so many opportunities to outshine the competition of max especially but there is STILL no deep improvements of animation workflows in sight. I just see more of the same patterns here. I've always been a person who had to learn a little bit of everything so I know the reasons why people avoid lightwave. Workflow concerning deeper connections for animation is one of the biggest.

xevious2501
12-30-2012, 05:58 PM
Theres only a few things i would like to see in this release of lightwave. First and foremost is Bullet softbody dynamics along with constraints on par with Modo's recoil. Also Its time some work has been put into hypervoxels. Theres some stability issues along with the need for far more control over shape and the need many more procedurals. The voxels simply doesnt blend as well as other packages, theres also only two vectors for with the blends can be stretched, and theres no way to flatten voxels, which makes the creation of clouds and gas forms difficult to near impossible.

xevious2501
12-30-2012, 06:38 PM
I agree. from being a lightwave user since its inception, newtek has had many years to improve in areas that for some odd reason consistantly get neglected.

I would assume part of it is the simple fact, the key studios newtek truly is interest in pleasing doesnt use certain tools much or have no real complaint so they fail to improve despite the callings of its user base. (foolish management moves but thru the years ive seen worst), its also bad policy to give the notion of *new* features when in fact theyre mearly 3rd party plugins thats been around for some time and now aquired by newtek to add as a *new* feature. Those types of moves is purely lame in my book. And newtek, one of the 4 founding companies of modern cgi packages should never stoop so low. And those are the moves of executives that simply need to go!.

Now its a given.. Lightwave/newtek does not have the development resources as Autodesk nore during the time of Alias/wavefront , but they certainly were not starving for great thirdparty developers either. Steve Worley of worleylabs single handedly created realtime rendering with GI years before it caught on into the mainstream. There has been tons of script and plugin writers that created improvements and new features over what newteks of development team, but newtek failed to acquire those efforts and build a better program. which again falls on the errors of management and head executives, who obviously fell outa interest with the program shifting there focus on Newteks hardware based products.

Well today all thats changed (for the most part) a change that came after individuals within the company said enough is enough and decided to form Luxology and look how its taken off in such a short time. I remember once giving Newtek heads a good Bashing on this forum for the neglect and negative direction they put the once great package into. I voiced how even the old web site and the work examples shown was pure amateur crap a joke to be had. After being banned :dance: from the site. luxology was formed, and newteks lightwave division took a serious nose dive.

Newtek tried a foolish attempt to mirror luxology's modo with Core, which was pathetic in every way, and then something happened.. someone must have heard the rants i made cause im sure it caused quite a stir on the forum. A year or two later the web site was rebuilt and looked properly professional and not like some captain crunch cereal box. They got rid of the blissfully terrible mascot jungle boy with the bone in the nose and began showcasing the quality work people were making.

Then management changed im assuming a few people got fired (thankfully :dance:) the company split into its own division placed in capable hands and lightwave has grown stronger ever since. But with all its growth, the damage was still done. In all those years of poor execution and lack of true development in comparison to other vendors, packages began to outshine and indeed surpass the position lightwave held within the industry. Cinema4D which was created on the amiga during the same years as lightwave arose out of the shadow addressing a segment no one was really thinking about, the bridge between compositing apps like AE and editing apps like speed razor. Cinema4D structured itself for the suedo non hardcore 3d artist. Now its grown full blown with features newtek shouldve had years ago. Even Blender surpassed lightwave. So now Lightwave The company is walking an uphill battle.

Its still a very fast tool for creation and my favorite, but it simply must have the features thats become standard on almost every other package out there, Theres simply no excuse at this point. They either improve the product greatly and quickly or its certain to die. For instance, Newtek shouldve partnered with PMG messiah, who arguably has had the best 3d character animation toolset aside from motion builder. It also has one of the fastest dynamics solutions around. That said we all are very interest to see the capability and performace of GENOMA, which i think is killer if it lives up to its billing.

then... Take no shorter look at LWDatabase and theres hundreds of scripts and plugins that should be part of LW. LWCAD, reveals all the aspects lacking in LW modeler which should be standard!. but newteks thinking is why reinvent the wheel when a third party creator has done the job. That had also been the thinking of the american automotive industry, and look where it led them. The reason why you either aquire or implement better solutions is the simple point of making a better program and raising the bar for even better tools by developers.

All this newtek/lightwave is beginning to understand. fact is, a few stubborn head executives can really bring a company down. when thats the case its time for them to go. Im happy where lightwave is at the moment, but this update gota shine in a great way. there no such thing as a bad package anymore. and maya remains the package of choice because its the one most used in the industry. but lightwave must regain its foothold on the future. and it takes making moves the next guy wont. Luxology saught to invest its future by merging with the foundary. Newtek/lightwave needs to make simular moves, and branch into areas not common to 3d, such as 2d and vector, so it becomes a direct support to that field and become the package of choice for those creators. (which LW has already seen progress in japan Anime studios)

11.5 has to be solid. theres no more room for excuses and delays, not when others have branched out from the company and in under two years have created a product that rivals the one theyve work on for years, and certainly not when free programs like blender has feature not found in a package than been around since the 80's.

[Moderation Note: Made this readable by separating the paragraphs. Please note that many of the factual events mentioned in the post did not happen in the manner, the timeframe, nor in the order that the poster claims, nor for the reasons that he proposes. Many of the suggestions he makes were indeed explored by NewTek, but simply could not be worked out. "Easier said than done" is a truth with lots of long and sometimes bitter experience to back it up, and something that in the Internet age seems to be the first thing that Internet opiners forget when they start typing. And the matters of opinion are, of course, just matters of opinion. - C. Baker]

sukardi
12-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Looking at the published features of 11.5, it seems clear that the current Lightwave team knows where Lightwave needs to be heading.

It is already too late, just crossing my fingers that release 11.5 would not be too little...

alexs3d
12-31-2012, 12:56 AM
great news rob, thanks, i am so excited :)

Kaptive
12-31-2012, 01:15 AM
I agree. from being a lightwave user since its inception, newtek has had many years to improve in areas that for some odd reason consistantly get neglected.
I would assume part of it is the simple fact, the key studios newtek truly is interest in pleasing doesnt use certain tools much or have no real complaint so they fail to improve despite the callings of its user base. (foolish management moves but thru the years ive seen worst), its also bad policy to give the notion of *new* features when in fact theyre mearly 3rd party plugins thats been around for some time and now aquired by newtek to add as a *new* feature. Those types of moves is purely lame in my book. And newtek, one of the 4 founding companies of modern cgi packages should never stoop so low. And those are the moves of executives that simply need to go!. Now its a given.. Lightwave/newtek does not have the development resources as Autodesk nore during the time of Alias/wavefront , but they certainly were not starving for great thirdparty developers either. Steve Worley of worleylabs single handedly created realtime rendering with GI years before it caught on into the mainstream. There has been tons of script and plugin writers that created improvements and new features over what newteks of development team, but newtek failed to acquire those efforts and build a better program. which again falls on the errors of management and head executives, who obviously fell outa interest with the program shifting there focus on Newteks hardware based products. Well today all thats changed (for the most part) a change that came after individuals within the company said enough is enough and decided to form Luxology and look how its taken off in such a short time. I remember once giving Newtek heads a good Bashing on this forum for the neglect and negative direction they put the once great package into. I voiced how even the old web site and the work examples shown was pure amateur crap a joke to be had. After being banned :dance: from the site. luxology was formed, and newteks lightwave division took a serious nose dive. Newtek tried a foolish attempt to mirror luxology's modo with Core, which was pathetic in every way, and then something happened.. someone must have heard the rants i made cause im sure it caused quite a stir on the forum. A year or two later the web site was rebuilt and looked properly professional and not like some captain crunch cereal box. They got rid of the blissfully terrible mascot jungle boy with the bone in the nose and began showcasing the quality work people were making. Then management changed im assuming a few people got fired (thankfully :dance:) the company split into its own division placed in capable hands and lightwave has grown stronger ever since. But with all its growth, the damage was still done. In all those years of poor execution and lack of true development in comparison to other vendors, packages began to outshine and indeed surpass the position lightwave held within the industry. Cinema4D which was created on the amiga during the same years as lightwave arose out of the shadow addressing a segment no one was really thinking about, the bridge between compositing apps like AE and editing apps like speed razor. Cinema4D structured itself for the suedo non hardcore 3d artist. Now its grown full blown with features newtek shouldve had years ago. Even Blender surpassed lightwave. So now Lightwave The company is walking an uphill battle. Its still a very fast tool for creation and my favorite, but it simply must have the features thats become standard on almost every other package out there, Theres simply no excuse at this point. They either improve the product greatly and quickly or its certain to die. For instance, Newtek shouldve partnered with PMG messiah, who arguably has had the best 3d character animation toolset aside from motion builder. It also has one of the fastest dynamics solutions around. That said we all are very interest to see the capability and performace of GENOMA, which i think is killer if it lives up to its billing. then... Take no shorter look at LWDatabase and theres hundreds of scripts and plugins that should be part of LW. LWCAD, reveals all the aspects lacking in LW modeler which should be standard!. but newteks thinking is why reinvent the wheel when a third party creator has done the job. That had also been the thinking of the american automotive industry, and look where it led them. The reason why you either aquire or implement better solutions is the simple point of making a better program and raising the bar for even better tools by developers. All this newtek/lightwave is beginning to understand. fact is, a few stubborn head executives can really bring a company down. when thats the case its time for them to go. Im happy where lightwave is at the moment, but this update gota shine in a great way. there no such thing as a bad package anymore. and maya remains the package of choice because its the one most used in the industry. but lightwave must regain its foothold on the future. and it takes making moves the next guy wont. Luxology saught to invest its future by merging with the foundary. Newtek/lightwave needs to make simular moves, and branch into areas not common to 3d, such as 2d and vector, so it becomes a direct support to that field and become the package of choice for those creators. (which LW has already seen progress in japan Anime studios)

11.5 has to be solid. theres no more room for excuses and delays, not when others have branched out from the company and in under two years have created a product that rivals the one theyve work on for years, and certainly not when free programs like blender has feature not found in a package than been around since the 80's.

I'd love to read that but my eyes just started bleeding and then exploded. :P

Recommend paragraphs.

Darth Mole
12-31-2012, 01:40 AM
"not when others have branched out from the company and in under two years have created a product that rivals the one theyve work on for years"

Who's that then? Can't be the Luxology guys because they've been working on modo for more than a decade. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modo_(software)

silviotoledo
12-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Nice to hear LW 11.5 is coming on a few weeks. We need it!

Better Rig, better dynamics, better UV Tool...

What can I say? I'm happy but Lightwave is still deep behind others in terms of CA. Hope the next step is the work on deformers and stack. So we will be able to do things like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8ZVrZUYPM

Actually it's possible doing this kind of rig in BLENDER, MAX, MAYA, XSI, MODO, HOUDINI, C4D... but not in Lightwave

Because the deformers work together in stack. In lightwave deformers does not work together and you can't do a stack of it and you can't change the deforming order.

So, we still need things some softwares have there's 10 or 20 years.

So, there's still a lot of work for Newtek. Lightwave is still behind.

May the force be with you!

Hail
12-31-2012, 06:30 AM
I would assume part of it is the simple fact, the key studios newtek truly is interest in pleasing doesnt use certain tools much or have no real complaint so they fail to improve despite the callings of its user base. (foolish management moves but thru the years ive seen worst), its also bad policy to give the notion of *new* features when in fact theyre mearly 3rd party plugins thats been around for some time and now aquired by newtek to add as a *new* feature. Those types of moves is purely lame in my book. And newtek, one of the 4 founding companies of modern cgi packages should never stoop so low. And those are the moves of executives that simply need to go!. Now its a given.. Lightwave/newtek does not have the development resources as Autodesk nore during the time of Alias/wavefront , but they certainly were not starving for great thirdparty developers either. Steve Worley of worleylabs single handedly created realtime rendering with GI years before it caught on into the mainstream. There has been tons of script and plugin writers that created improvements and new features over what newteks of development team, but newtek failed to acquire those efforts and build a better program. which again falls on the errors of management and head executives, who obviously fell outa interest with the program shifting there focus on Newteks hardware based products. Well today all thats changed (for the most part) a change that came after individuals within the company said enough is enough and decided to form Luxology and look how its taken off in such a short time. I remember once giving Newtek heads a good Bashing on this forum for the neglect and negative direction they put the once great package into. I voiced how even the old web site and the work examples shown was pure amateur crap a joke to be had. After being banned :dance: from the site. luxology was formed, and newteks lightwave division took a serious nose dive. Newtek tried a foolish attempt to mirror luxology's modo with Core, which was pathetic in every way, and then something happened.. someone must have heard the rants i made cause im sure it caused quite a stir on the forum. A year or two later the web site was rebuilt and looked properly professional and not like some captain crunch cereal box. They got rid of the blissfully terrible mascot jungle boy with the bone in the nose and began showcasing the quality work people were making. Then management changed im assuming a few people got fired (thankfully :dance:) the company split into its own division placed in capable hands and lightwave has grown stronger ever since. But with all its growth, the damage was still done. In all those years of poor execution and lack of true development in comparison to other vendors, packages began to outshine and indeed surpass the position lightwave held within the industry. Cinema4D which was created on the amiga during the same years as lightwave arose out of the shadow addressing a segment no one was really thinking about, the bridge between compositing apps like AE and editing apps like speed razor. Cinema4D structured itself for the suedo non hardcore 3d artist. Now its grown full blown with features newtek shouldve had years ago. Even Blender surpassed lightwave. So now Lightwave The company is walking an uphill battle. Its still a very fast tool for creation and my favorite, but it simply must have the features thats become standard on almost every other package out there, Theres simply no excuse at this point. They either improve the product greatly and quickly or its certain to die. For instance, Newtek shouldve partnered with PMG messiah, who arguably has had the best 3d character animation toolset aside from motion builder. It also has one of the fastest dynamics solutions around. That said we all are very interest to see the capability and performace of GENOMA, which i think is killer if it lives up to its billing. then... Take no shorter look at LWDatabase and theres hundreds of scripts and plugins that should be part of LW. LWCAD, reveals all the aspects lacking in LW modeler which should be standard!. but newteks thinking is why reinvent the wheel when a third party creator has done the job. That had also been the thinking of the american automotive industry, and look where it led them. The reason why you either aquire or implement better solutions is the simple point of making a better program and raising the bar for even better tools by developers. All this newtek/lightwave is beginning to understand. fact is, a few stubborn head executives can really bring a company down. when thats the case its time for them to go. Im happy where lightwave is at the moment, but this update gota shine in a great way. there no such thing as a bad package anymore. and maya remains the package of choice because its the one most used in the industry. but lightwave must regain its foothold on the future. and it takes making moves the next guy wont. Luxology saught to invest its future by merging with the foundary. Newtek/lightwave needs to make simular moves, and branch into areas not common to 3d, such as 2d and vector, so it becomes a direct support to that field and become the package of choice for those creators. (which LW has already seen progress in japan Anime studios)

I'd be nuts to read all that :D

erikals
12-31-2012, 12:39 PM
i've got a good feeling about 2013.

-Bullet Soft Bodies
-After Effects interchange
-Genoma
-Flocking
-Octane plugin
-Turbulence4D
-Realflow Hybrido 2 (LW 3rd party)

(11,5 feature list > https://www.lightwave3d.com/new_features_11-5)

wouldn't surprise me if 2013 will be a "Lightwave Year"
not only because of the software update, but because i've noticed some kicking stuff from artists.

for a one man company in 2013, i'd go Lightwave, no doubt.

erikals
12-31-2012, 12:54 PM
...still deep behind others in terms of CA. Hope the next step is the work on deformers and stack. So we will be able to do things like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU8ZVrZUYPM

Yep, that is a number one request for many i would think.

Lattice.
i tested this, but more tests are needed. (agh, need time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdzYCKT9An4

Muscles.
i've tested this too, more tests needed. (agh, need time)
looks to work though, using Polyfit (not PointFit) DP Boolean caused problems for misc reasons.
skin glide is of course solved by using a UV morph with a cyler or such.

but i'd be happy if NT could give this more attention.

and hey, while at it, why not add the open source >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z0c11td7rA
and >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjbckqGBtWQ

jeric_synergy
12-31-2012, 01:19 PM
First Polish, then Finnished?
It's that Iron Sky influence.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Actually it's possible doing this kind of rig in BLENDER, MAX, MAYA, XSI, MODO, HOUDINI, C4D... but not in Lightwave
Not to be all Pollyanna but: I'm always reading things like this, but LW's out there chugging along in the episodic television "space" ( g'damn mathematicians can't say "market"?), so IT MUST BE DOING SOMETHING RIGHT.

I'd like to hear, again to be sure, what LW does that all the others CAN'T. Because, surely, after all these 'funerals', it must be something. :tsktsk:

Even if it's ONLY spaceships and submarines, some seats can get sold in that market.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2012, 01:28 PM
It kinda' sucks for me because I've spent 5 years teaching myself LightWave and now, suddenly, I find myself having to learn Maya.
Dude, I feel your pain. But more so.

erikals
12-31-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd like to hear, again to be sure, what LW does that all the others CAN'T. Because, surely, after all these 'funerals', it must be something...

tons! :]

Lightwave can do just about anything except, well, certain things.

too few wavers are pushing the software, not seeing the opportunities.
i miss more people like Chris Jones, Craig, Ryan, Lee, Gerardo, many more, all striving to to get the best out of Lightwave.

can we blame Lightwave for not being able to do stuff, without really having tried ourselves to make it work, without following a tutorial?
my answer is no.

the coolest effects / animations seldom comes without some pain.
be sure to request those features, but also be sure to push yourself.

Thomas Helzle
12-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Rob and all others of the Lightwave Team:

I wish you all the best in the new year 2013!!!

I am using LW since 5.6, replacing Cinema 4D 4/5/6 with it. I was superhappy with LW 6, happy with 7, frustrated with 8, so-so with 9, using XSI instead in the meantime, at first excited with Hardcore/Core, then soon realized the whole thing wouldn't work like it was done.
When you, Rob entered the picture, I was on one hand very happy, since I agreed with all you said, but still left the Hardcore forums since I felt cheated once too often.
But I bought all the updates since anyway and after ditching the XSI maintenance 1.5 years ago, I find myself enjoying rendering in LW a LOT once more, especially for NPR. The VPR is very good and some of the old quirks of the renderer are a godsend (superfast edge-rendering combined with sub-frame-displacement and stepped Motionblur YESSSSSS :-) ).

Since you took over, I like what I see, I like what you guys are doing now and hope that you will be able to sustain your business.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to 11.5, thanks for the update.

Cheers,

Tom

jwiede
12-31-2012, 02:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjbckqGBtWQ
C4D has this (called "Camera Deformer") and it is extremely useful for making quick fixes when under time pressure. I'd really love to see something like this (and C4D's other deformers) in LW, but I suspect such additions are unlikely to occur until the deformer stacking and ordering issues are resolved (read as "existing infrastructure replaced", I suspect).

jeric_synergy
12-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh, a point I forgot to make: with the old Amiga crowds, sometimes it seemed like users focused on whatever the computer COULDN'T do, rather than what it did better than anything else.

Sadly, I feel I hear and see much of the same dynamic in LightWave users: instead of focusing on the positives, they harp incessantly on the shortcomings.

Certainly the shortcomings are there, but people do amazing work with LightWave nonetheless.

erikals
12-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Re: Camera Deformer

yeah, bit unsure about when it will come around.

if you wanna do something like shown now, you have the MDD the motion, add a meta linked polycage, deform the polycage using bones.
(drive the bones using IKB for faster anim.)

so, possible, even more customization-friendly. but slightly more time consuming the first time around.
(after setting it up the first time, just use "import from scene" later on...)

(that took some thought though... :]

jeric_synergy
12-31-2012, 03:10 PM
simulating a camera deformer...

if you wanna do something like shown now, you have the MDD the motion, add a meta linked polycage, deform the polycage using bones.

so, possible, even more customization-friendly. but slightly more time consuming the first time around.
(after setting it up the first time, just use "import from scene" later on...)
Something like this procedure should be scriptable.

I think many desirable features would be possible, if the idea of "Why don't we just SCRIPT that?" gained some traction at NewTek.

For example, a better Light Generator: I took a pass at this but my python-fu is non-existent. Essentially, something like the "New Null" generator, that'd ease creating new lights. EG, new lights would have their light type replace/appended to their name, i.e. "Spot_01", or "Area_02". (Pile on as many bells and whistles as you wish: targets, parents, UI color, sets, etc.)

I'm pretty sure that's an easy afternoon's work for a competent scripter (my run at it took weeks).

hrgiger
12-31-2012, 04:05 PM
tons! :]

Lightwave can do just about anything except, well, certain things.

too few wavers are pushing the software, not seeing the opportunities.
i miss more people like Chris Jones, Craig, Ryan, Lee, Gerardo, many more, all striving to to get the best out of Lightwave.

can we blame Lightwave for not being able to do stuff, without really having tried ourselves to make it work, without following a tutorial?
my answer is no.

the coolest effects / animations seldom comes without some pain.
be sure to request those features, but also be sure to push yourself.

Are you saying that there's nothing wrong with LightWave and that users (or lack of) are to blame for LightWave not being more prominent in the industry? That seems a little too convenient. Talented people have made great animations with Hash's Animation Master but that doesn't translate into a system that should be adopted industry wide.

How extensible and accessible is LightWave compared to Maya? How does Lightwave compare to other applications in raw polygon pushing power and large scene data handling? Can you make your own tools with LightWave compared to the power you get with a system like ICE in XSI or Houdini? How does LightWave suffer from being still a two headed application? How well integrated LightWave features across the board compared to every other application out there?

There are a lot of great things about LightWave. But there are still too many issues that prevent it from being seen as a contender to the other big apps out there. Not just because people haven't pushed it hard enough. A lot of great users I've seen over the last several years biggest complaint is that when you push LightWave hard enough, you find that it breaks.

erikals
12-31-2012, 05:04 PM
LW-users make some of the very best stuff, but when it comes to CA, yes, i believe that even more dedicated CA LW-users would be very helpful.
(i feel lucky that we have the ones i mentioned though, and other Lightwavers as well, they've shared superb info, in my eyes)

Are you saying that there's nothing wrong with LightWave and that users (or lack of) are to blame for LightWave not being more prominent in the industry?
not sure where you reached that conclusion... if you read the posts i wrote, maybe you skimmed this thread.
anyway, no is the answer to that.

How extensible and accessible is LightWave compared to Maya?
both good and bad. tried UV morphing in Maya? tried symmetry modeling in Maya? tried simple nodes in Maya? tried VPR in Maya? tried simple Mental Ray and render setup in Maya? tried modeling and converting Metric\ Inch models in Maya? Lightwave may have limits, but so does Maya. this was just on top of my head, but i think that should give some pointers.

How does Lightwave compare to other applications in raw polygon pushing power and large scene data handling?
well, actually, Lightwave is actually faster on static scenes (objects without deformation) did you forget :hey:
but yes, high-poly speed improvements is something i have asked for many times.

Can you make your own tools with LightWave compared to the power you get with a system like ICE in XSI or Houdini?
no.

How does LightWave suffer from being still a two headed application?
yep, i've mentioned this problem more than once. (and Rob / Matt stated 2 months ago they are looking into it)

How well integrated LightWave features across the board compared to every other application out there?
that could be argued i guess, could certainly be better.

but it seems you are making a point on this based on my posts, which doesn't make sense, as i never stated Lightwave doesn't have any pitfalls.
...which makes it just like any other 3D application out there.

xKophsx
12-31-2012, 06:23 PM
Im glad to hear about this!
working with 3dsmax its a pain... release after release its more and more buggy. so its good you are taking time to polish release.

I probably wont continue into the 3d industry, but its always good to see lightwave pushing and trying to become important. i really hope someday it will be used instead of maya or 3dsmax for movies, that companies like Cebas will make plugins available for it. (one of the reasons to use 3dsmax its only that, the plugins)
I might be doing something else but i really hope i would still visit this site, as ive been doing even when i wasnt using lightwave and 3dsmax instead. and I will put a smile and think Lightwave stuff, was one of the reasons i got interested in 3d design.
I wasnt that good in 3d. but its nice to see some lightwave artist pushing the software, like Shuhei Morita, using "basic" features and making amazing things.

So im glad about this decision! yeah, a release today would have been amazing. but Im glad Lightwave group is thinking about the release perfection and not just to release it at the time it was told.

So i really hope 11.5 release will be part of my dream, see: lightwave taken seriously more and more, and in bigger productions for really important roles.

I really hope next year (still 2012 here) will be good for lightwave and people using lightwave!

Hwaiting!! :)

jeric_synergy
12-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Are you saying {CUT}
No, he's not.

erikals
12-31-2012, 10:58 PM
Re: Camera Deformer

yeah, bit unsure about when it will come around.

correction, doesn't seem to be possible, can't deform the MDD with static bones (i.e. not tied to mesh itself) using bones or metalink.
so, minus 1 on that one...

so only alternative at the moment is to output the character to it's own layer, for then to use AE Liquify.
not 100% the same, more like 70%...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okah_eNbT1c

Philbert
12-31-2012, 11:45 PM
I think the reason for the decision to move to Maya is because the industry is so heavily invested in Maya. The school needs to turn out students prepared for work in the industry as soon as they leave school, and the industry needs them/us to be trained in Maya.

When I first toured DAVE in 2002 I knew nothing of LightWave, though I had played with max and heard of maya. So I asked why they teach LightWave vs. maya or another one. I was told that they felt LightWave was the easiest to learn for a beginner and gave the best starting point for jumping into the other apps. Sad to see this sad news on New Year's Day, seems like a bad omen for the rest of the year.

rcallicotte
01-01-2013, 08:34 AM
:D

Brilliant, Rob (and LW team)!! I can wait and I can't wait.

silviotoledo
01-01-2013, 11:14 AM
No doubt Lightwave is powerfull, easy to use, easy to teach and learn, production proven and cheap.

These are the great things about Lightwave and that's why I decide using Lightwave for my projects in 2013:)!

If I choose other tool I would have to pay the price. More time, more money, more difficult.

No doubt people at VFX competitive industry hurry need learning Maya/ Xsi/ Houdini. Actually Lightwave is more like an ace in the hole than the preferred tool, but game also changes.

I imagine that, before hiring, smart companies observe the portfolio, regardless of the software in use and hire professionals for their artistic skills, prior to softwares. Of course this is only for professionals who have great artistic differential.

I keep faith on LW development time. Anyway 11.5 will be our gun for a long time.

phicol
01-01-2013, 12:55 PM
@ erikals

Is there any option in LW which can allow us to make a charcter walk on path without the sliding feet thing? I have anmated a 4 legged creature and want to move it along path ( a curved path or a semi circle path on an uneven terrain). Is there any plugin or LScript that can do that? I know there are couple of tools for maya which work perfectly.

Thanks in advance.

erikals
01-01-2013, 01:28 PM
hi, no expert on that area, but check http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?130065-Dope-track-feature-requests

and > http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst/videos?query=foot

xevious2501
01-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Yeah i just cant help it. when i get to typing i go into teacher mode.
I was just saying This version of LW gota be 'the one!' , there shouldnt be any *major* industry features missing or neglected at this point,
not for an 3d program thats one of the original founding products from the 80s. and yet we know there will still be a few. (native fluid dynamics)

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah i just cant help it. when i get to typing i go into teacher mode.
I was just saying This version of LW gota be 'the one!' , there shouldnt be any *major* industry features missing or neglected at this point,
not for an 3d program thats one of the original founding products from the 80s. and yet we know there will still be a few. (native fluid dynamics)

Verlon
01-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I am glad to hear an update, finally. Adding more features is certainly interesting. I am certainly not going to complain about more free features, especially if it is something I can use (that 3D stuff and PS Move walkthrough action is really cool, but not something I get to play with much).

Now....about that holiday: Christmas may come more quickly than we expect, but it does have the decency to show up on the same day every year. If you are planning anything in Q4 2013, be aware that Christmas will fall on December 25 this year also. New Year's Day is alway exactly 1 week after Christmas Day (with their respective 'Eves' falling one day before the main holiday). This is true even in Leap Years. Thanksgiving (US) is a bit trickier since it does not always fall on the same calendar date, but expect to lose two days toward the end of November, and you'll be covered.

Seriously, how does the most arduous holiday gauntlet in the country 'sneak up' on companies planning work schedules? My own employer remembered Christmas, but forgot the year was ending later that week. "You can all have some time off. Oh wait, the year is ending? We forgot. We need you to work. Well, maybe not. Ok SOME of you MIGHT definitely need to allow for the possibility that you will be required to work due to urgent year end...do we have any volunteers?"

So, December 25th, this year, every year.

AmigaNewTek
01-03-2013, 03:19 AM
I thinkk that Lightwave is a great product! His rendering pipeline is unique. I know that users wants to have all the possible and imaginable features, but development costs time and money.
One thing is sure: Lightwave have a great development team, and i'm quite sure that they will gradually take out of the hat very cool surprise.

Nicolas Jordan
01-03-2013, 08:21 AM
I'm looking forward to this update as I will likely make use of many of the new features in the coming year.

allabulle
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
Me too. I think I'll be using almost all the new features right away.

jasonwestmas
01-03-2013, 10:29 AM
Looking forward to more connections between tools, better animation playback, less crashing and . . . . Ironically someone like me only wanted better tools and overall performance in lightwave not more tools.

jeric_synergy
01-03-2013, 01:40 PM
Looking forward to more connections between tools, ....
I always surprised when I find out the existing hidden connections, but certainly more (well-designed) connections are welcome. :thumbsup:

Consistency would be good too-- although at this point we'd probably experience consistency as weird bugginess because we're now conditioned to deal with the inconsistency as normal. :foreheads

jasonwestmas
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM
I always surprised when I find out the existing hidden connections, but certainly more (well-designed) connections are welcome. :thumbsup:

Consistency would be good too-- although at this point we'd probably experience consistency as weird bugginess because we're now conditioned to deal with the inconsistency as normal. :foreheads

Nevermind if some things were intended to be connected or consolidated or made more interactive. Just you wait, change will be frowned upon and we will still have to make Vmaps in modeler because some people think that would complicate things. ALL Animation tools need to be in layout too. Is this an animation package or a rendering package? I'd have to say rendering by the looks of things. I hope 11.5 changes my mind about that.

ncr100
01-05-2013, 07:40 PM

There has been tons of script and plugin writers that created improvements and new features over what newteks of development team, but newtek failed to acquire those efforts and build a better program.

Take no shorter look at LWDatabase and theres hundreds of scripts and plugins that should be part of LW.

Want more features NT? Capitalize on others' efforts. Expose them for easy installation in LW itself. Imagine: Click on DP Toolkit check-box, click Install, and restart when installed. Boom. (perhaps)

It could be a big capitalization win if NewTek leveraged plugin writers' efforts by spending time developing a system which, from the Lightwave app, would reach out to the internet and fetch these 3rd party's plugins and download + install them. (Plugin search / discovery system + installation. Integrate with LWPluginDB..for instance. Develop a "plugin manifest" file format which LWPluginDB and other sites could use to expose the plugins they host for installation by LW. NT host a directory of plugin servers. Include a trivial 1 to 5 star rating system and download count to track popularity.)

Integrating with LWPluginDB wouldn't prevent NT from innovating features like GENOMA - and it would make LW more...exciting, connected, dynamic, fresh, powerful. A feature like that could facilitate these qualities.

EDIT: Alternatively - make a "One click easy install" button which web sites could include, and when clicked would launch Lightwave to install the given plugin. Again a plugin manifest file would be needed which would include plugin title, and download links for the app to install.

Moral of the story: Facilitate capitalizing on others' plugin development / enhancement work. (It's free and would breathe air into the lungs of the app!)

Hail
01-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Want more features NT? Capitalize on others' efforts. Expose them for easy installation in LW itself. Imagine: Click on DP Toolkit check-box, click Install, and restart when installed. Boom. (perhaps)

It could be a big capitalization win if NewTek leveraged plugin writers' efforts by spending time developing a system which, from the Lightwave app, would reach out to the internet and fetch these 3rd party's plugins and download + install them. (Plugin search / discovery system + installation. Integrate with LWPluginDB..for instance. Develop a "plugin manifest" file format which LWPluginDB and other sites could use to expose the plugins they host for installation by LW. NT host a directory of plugin servers. Include a trivial 1 to 5 star rating system and download count to track popularity.)

Integrating with LWPluginDB wouldn't prevent NT from innovating features like GENOMA - and it would make LW more...exciting, connected, dynamic, fresh, powerful. A feature like that could facilitate these qualities.

EDIT: Alternatively - make a "One click easy install" button which web sites could include, and when clicked would launch Lightwave to install the given plugin. Again a plugin manifest file would be needed which would include plugin title, and download links for the app to install.

Moral of the story: Facilitate capitalizing on others' plugin development / enhancement work. (It's free and would breathe air into the lungs of the app!)

+1!

GandB
01-06-2013, 09:02 AM
I would also like to see enabling a paid for plugin, with the click of a button; rather than the current (and archaic) way of doing it. It is way outdated, and needs to be changed.

DonJMyers
01-06-2013, 11:25 AM
I don't mind waiting. Stability is always worth worth waiting for.

jwiede
01-06-2013, 04:10 PM

I believe you mean well, but I don't believe you've adequately thought through the ways a system as proposed could be misused. There's a reason such systems aren't commonplace, despite the positive benefits they (at first) seem to offer. The security and liability risks imposed by such systems easily outnumber and outweigh all potential benefits.

ncr100
01-06-2013, 10:08 PM
I believe you mean well, but I don't believe you've adequately thought through the ways a system as proposed could be misused. There's a reason such systems aren't commonplace, despite the positive benefits they (at first) seem to offer. The security and liability risks imposed by such systems easily outnumber and outweigh all potential benefits.

Moving this discussion to: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?132667-Install-LW-plugin-by-clicking-on-a-link since it's less an 11.5 topic and more about a feature-request.

Jerry W
01-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Getting back to the original topic..

I wonder how the documentation for 11.5 is going. Having all sorts of gee-whizbang features is good, but some people actually read the documentation. Many companies look at docs as a red-headed stepchild, in fact NT never released a full LW11 manual, just an add-on to v.10.

Just wondering.

jeric_synergy
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
The good news is TMK they have a veteran assigned full time to it.

The bad news is I haven't heard of but ONE guy assigned to it.

(I also haven't heard if they're going to try anything innovative with the dox to improve them globally. I would be VERY surprised if NewTek did anything but standard static PDFs.)

mike_stening
01-07-2013, 01:55 AM
really looking forward to this update, got a job on at the moment that could really make use of some of the stuff in it, especially the shrink wrap would save me soo much time

jeric_synergy
01-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Everytime I see a new post alert on this, I'm hoping it's high comedy rather than wistful yearning.

Bytehawk
01-07-2013, 01:21 PM
Are we there yet?

50one
01-07-2013, 01:38 PM
Are we there yet?

Soon, young padawan. Very soon. - Patience ...

:)

Hail
01-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Are we there yet?

Sounds very 12 year oldish

Bytehawk
01-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Was supposed to sound like that (+ a little sarcastic perhaps) :)

Marcia
01-07-2013, 04:18 PM
Hail

Originally Posted by Bytehawk

Are we there yet?

Was supposed to sound like that (+ a little sarcastic perhaps) :)

Don't make me turn this car around! :twak:

Déjà vu all over again.

Ernest
01-07-2013, 06:12 PM

No! It sounds Smurfy!

Jerry W
01-07-2013, 10:45 PM
I would be happy with simple PRINTED manuals. You know, the kind with big margins to put notes in of what works and doesn't work.

Wade
01-07-2013, 10:51 PM
I would be happy with simple PRINTED manuals. You know, the kind with big margins to put notes in of what works and doesn't work.

Want some old ones - :) I am about to throw out some as I clean the office 6.0 - 11 I think. If you are in Houston you could pick them up. I have the "inside" Lightwave books for 6 and 7 as well. All are almost as good as new..

Jerry W
01-07-2013, 11:06 PM
That's OK, I have a copy of the v.10 manuals. I'll just add to them. Maybe use a different color tho...

jeric_synergy
01-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Like all the other whiners here don't? (Pssst: they do.)

jwiede
01-08-2013, 10:52 AM
Well, it doesn't exactly help that we went from a bounded timeframe for release (Q4'12) to an unbounded one (sometime after Q4'12). Still, you'd think people would be used to these kinds of situations by now (and TBH, most appear to be taking it in stride).

If we get to the end of January without so much as a update, then I think we'll see most (rightly) take off the kid gloves regarding scheduling, but so far most appear to be waiting patiently hoping Newtek's only slightly off-schedule with the release.

Wade
01-08-2013, 01:11 PM
11.5 being free and having even more added to it than promoted when anounced - I'll wait a few weeks for it behond what was the original target. Seems since 6.1 I have been checking the forums for the next release. Somebody hit me up side the head please. :)

50one
01-08-2013, 01:48 PM
BTW Did anyone else noticed that in those adverts for 11.5 running in 3DArtist(not sure about other mags) the AE link is not mentioned..

Kaptive
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
I have to say that I am very much looking forward to playing with 11.5, and implimenting the new features. However, I have worked with development teams on software, and know how difficult sticking to accurate time scales can be. Small things (and it is always the small things) can end up being big things. With such a massive piece of software, with so many parts that interact with each other, I can only imagine the complexity of it all.

When it finally arrives, I'll still give them a medal. Being condemned for trying to get something right instead of on time can be extremely disheartening after massive investments of time and effort.

I imagine that a rough date is only given because it is useful for marketing and generating interest... I'm sure the devs loathe giving out a time frame, and would happily work in silence (even if it is what they are aiming for). A done when it is done kind of expectation is probably the wisest. But all us end users want new toys to play with, and beg to know when... so we only have ourselves to blame if we feel let down.

Though, as JWeide rightfully points out, most, if not all are taking it in their stride... as it should be.

Comments like "Are we there yet?" are clearly playful anticipation, and is the best attitude to have... because there is much to look forward to by the sounds of it.

50one
01-08-2013, 02:00 PM
...., i have worked with development teams on software, and know how difficult sticking to accurate time scales can be.

qfa

magoo
01-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Frankly, for a feature rich free update I'm not sure why people are complaining if it arrives a little late.

Newtek could easily tell the consumer nothing, many companies simply keep people in the dark until they release their product.

The software we have now works, we are all using it, many of us to make $.

So perhaps just get on with making cool stuff until the next version lands, and when it does and we all get free access to new toys.

BeeVee
01-08-2013, 02:32 PM

You know you can add sticky notes to PDFs as well? Ctrl+6 and then save the PDF. Works in Adobe Reader as well as Acrobat.

B

Kaptive
01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
qfa

QFA Qualified Financial Advisor
QFA Qatar Football Association
QFA Quick File Access
QFA Quality Feedback Agent (computer crash reporting system)
QFA Quebec Farmers Association
QFA Quoted for Accuracy (internet forum slang)
QFA Quinte Film Alternative (Ontario, Canada)
QFA Qantas Airways Australia (ICAO code)
QFA Quick Fine Attitude (US NASA)
QFA Qantas Flight Code
QFA Qualified Fund Administrator
QFA Qualitative Failure Analysis
QFA Quality of Family Relation

......QFA Quoted for Accuracy (internet forum slang) Aha! :)

Or was it... QFA Qualitative Failure Analysis :D

Marcia
01-08-2013, 04:32 PM
...When it finally arrives, I'll still give them a medal. Being condemned for trying to get something right instead of on time can be extremely disheartening after massive investments of time and effort.

I imagine that a rough date is only given because it is useful for marketing and generating interest... I'm sure the devs loathe giving out a time frame, and would happily work in silence (even if it is what they are aiming for). A done when it is done kind of expectation is probably the wisest. But all us end users want new toys to play with, and beg to know when... so we only have ourselves to blame if we feel let down.

Though, as JWeide rightfully points out, most, if not all are taking it in their stride... as it should be.

Comments like "Are we there yet?" are clearly playful anticipation, and is the best attitude to have... because there is much to look forward to by the sounds of it.

Well stated, all of it. They'll release 11.5 when they're satisfied with development and stability, regardless of anything posted in the forum. Personally, I'm glad their priority is quality over strict deadlines...when software developers are slaves to release dates, end users become little more than beta (sometimes alpha) testers complaining about bugs and demanding patches.

Let's not forget Newtek is essentially releasing a full-step upgrade in 11.5, and giving it to us free. We could try being grateful instead of pissy.

I think the "Are we there yet?" comment was written in response to Jeric_Synergy's request for comic relief, because ByteHawk was quoting Jeric's words from another post on this topic. It was meant to be humorous (which it was, in context). Ironically, it received the same annoyed response both times.

Let's relax and take things a little less seriously, shall we? Anger is anathema to creativity.

cagey5
01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
I always assumed 'Quoted for Agreement'

Kaptive
01-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Ah, that could well be it...

gclayton
01-08-2013, 06:58 PM
QFA Qualified Financial Advisor
QFA Qatar Football Association
QFA Quick File Access
QFA Quality Feedback Agent (computer crash reporting system)
QFA Quebec Farmers Association
QFA Quoted for Accuracy (internet forum slang)
QFA Quinte Film Alternative (Ontario, Canada)
QFA Qantas Airways Australia (ICAO code)
QFA Quick Fine Attitude (US NASA)
QFA Qantas Flight Code
QFA Qualified Fund Administrator
QFA Qualitative Failure Analysis
QFA Quality of Family Relation

......QFA Quoted for Accuracy (internet forum slang) Aha! :)

Or was it... QFA Qualitative Failure Analysis :D

Queued For Action...

jeric_synergy
01-08-2013, 10:17 PM
You know you can add sticky notes to PDFs as well? Ctrl+6 and then save the PDF. Works in Adobe Reader as well as Acrobat.
B
Good reminder.

SEARCH pretty much makes printed manuals unsupportable. User-addable keywords would be nice: can they go in the sticky notes and be Searched?

wyattharris
01-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Good news.
Now why didn't I get an email alert about the announcement? :stumped:

jwiede
01-09-2013, 11:17 AM
Good news.
Now why didn't I get an email alert about the announcement? :stumped:
Because the forums themselves are still pretty borked, and Newtek IT appears to have given up trying to fix them? Just a guess.

kopperdrake
01-09-2013, 04:38 PM

Ah. And there was me assuming something far worse :D

<washes mind out with soap and water>

dwburman
01-09-2013, 05:28 PM
If I recall correctly, they are planning a whole new manual for LW12.... or at least one with updated pictures :)

The LW 11 addendum is pretty good. I expect there will be another addendum for 11.5, but I have no direct knowledge about it.

jwiede
01-09-2013, 05:55 PM
The LW 11 addendum is pretty good.
Compared to what? It's a barely viable way to convey what 11 delivers, but little beyond that, and even as that, it's pretty sparse.

I expect there will be another addendum for 11.5, but I have no direct knowledge about it.
Whatever. I'm not expecting anything much beyond the status quo w.r.t. 11.5. Come 12, though, docs are another area where allowing the status quo to persist will greatly diminish my interest in upgrading.

jasonwestmas
01-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Compared to what? It's a barely viable way to convey what 11 delivers, but little beyond that, and even as that, it's pretty sparse.

Whatever. I'm not expecting anything much beyond the status quo w.r.t. 11.5. Come 12, though, docs are another area where allowing the status quo to persist will greatly diminish my interest in upgrading.

The maya and max people I work with aren't going to give lightwave 12 a try for anything if the "getting started" documentation doesn't improve. I have to give them a reason to even bother. Especially max people, They are addicts and to break their old school habits takes a lot of work. :D They're like, "oh that wierd app. with the two separate environments? No thanks." But seriously there's simply too much competition out there to not explain the best features in great detail. It's what gets new LW users to take a closer look and watch videos and buy tutorials etc. It's not like LW is $800 anymore either. The more open minded folks rather use modo and C4D based on what I hear people talk about.

Kaptive
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
........will greatly diminish my interest in upgrading.

So are you saying that if you don't upgrade, you are moving to some magical 3d package that is without fault, where the developer has got everything perfect?

What secret do you know that everyone else doesn't? Where is this golden city so that I may visit? :)

I jest, but only a little. Lightwaves docs for 11 might not have been massive, or that in depth, but so far I've not come across a feature that the docs haven't helped point me in the right direction on, or even more, that I've not easily worked out very quickly on my own without reading a single word (which is a compliment to the good development/implementation direction Newtek are taking).

The videos that Newtek have put out have been far more useful to me personally... that and the great community who share knowledge.

Beyond that, anything that requires more specific knowledge, I wouldn't expect from the documentation anyway, and I look to the guidance of specialists for tutorials etc.

But that is just me, and I know everyone works differently. So I hope Newtek deliver what you want from it in the future, as everyone has different needs.

I think my point above is simply that the grass is always greener on the other side, that's all.

Edit to add... :It is a fair point as stated in Jasons post above, that for newcomers from other packages, the documentation probably does need addressing for easier migration. I think my point was related to people who are familiar with the way Lightwave works already.

OnlineRender
01-09-2013, 06:49 PM
man people are already moaning and it's not even released yet ... as for as the documentation goes in my personal opinion they probably have one of the best in the industry doing them ...so I am not really worried and keep in mind this is a point release .

jeric_synergy
01-09-2013, 07:36 PM
::askance:: Really? It's a totally unfair comparison, but have you seen the Maya dox? AD probably has dozens of people working on them, and it shows.

There's no way NTek could afford to match that effort, which is why I've been trying to get them to accept a moderated wiki model for the dox so they can be incrementally improved over the life of the product. Start with the existing dox, and let them evolve.

Moderated. NTek would still have control.

Jet3D
01-10-2013, 05:17 AM
I head a 3D department at Pinewood Studios UK. We used Lightwave for Xmen First Class, Captain America, Prometheus, Clash 2, Skyfall, Thor 2, Maleficent etc.

The concern I have in the film industry is, when I am trying to champion Lightwave in an industry that is driven by the likes of MAYA, XSI - It results in a 'vote of no confidence' when Newtek says 4Q 2012 and then nothing is released. Lightwave is my modeller of choice but, it makes it hard when this happens. I am old school and we were taught that it is better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.

I love the fact that Newtek are polishing the release - just be careful missing release dates please.

Lightwaving since version 3. Jet

jasonwestmas
01-10-2013, 07:52 AM
I head a 3D department at Pinewood Studios UK. We used Lightwave for Xmen First Class, Captain America, Prometheus, Clash 2, Skyfall, Thor 2, Maleficent etc.

The concern I have in the film industry is, when I am trying to champion Lightwave in an industry that is driven by the likes of MAYA, XSI - It results in a 'vote of no confidence' when Newtek says 4Q 2012 and then nothing is released. Lightwave is my modeller of choice but, it makes it hard when this happens. I am old school and we were taught that it is better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around.

I love the fact that Newtek are polishing the release - just be careful missing release dates please.

Nah, release dates are for children. What really counts is solid and innovative software. ;)

50one
01-10-2013, 07:58 AM
Nah, release dates are for children. What really counts is solid and innovative software. ;)

...and awesome people behind the "scene"...and awesome community of users...and unicorns..and rainbows.

OK, maybe exclude the rainbows from the list.

jasonwestmas
01-10-2013, 08:03 AM
...and awesome people behind the "scene"...and awesome community of users...and unicorns..and rainbows.

+1

Jet3D
01-10-2013, 08:18 AM

Hi Jason.
Fair point about 'Solid and innovative software'.
But, Departments here base their decisions on dependability and reliability as well. I swear by Lightwave - but, I lose the faith of colleges when Newtek miss a release date that THEY set. People that don't use Lightwave in the film industry are very swift to replace it with another package when film is gearing up. That was my only point mate. 8 )

50one
01-10-2013, 08:22 AM
Well, to be honest when you compare the marketing methods of Newtek to those from LW3D team...at least you're getting any estimates and promises that hopefully will be fulfilled....

kolby
01-10-2013, 08:33 AM

May I know for what was LW used in Prometheus ?

50one
01-10-2013, 08:36 AM

My bet is on pre-viz....or end titles:)

Jet3D
01-10-2013, 08:44 AM

Just some early concept work on troop carrier and escape pods. These days we use LW to do a lot more. We have the second largest 3D printer in the market - I model a lot of gear in LW and print it as props. From small props like Thors hammer - medium like the 1.5 m Aston DB5 in Skyfall - Large like the Merlin Chopper in skyfall. Lightwave Modeller is the fastest way I have found to produce these models along with Zbrush to compliment it.

Jet3D
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM

Just some early concept work on troop carrier and escape pods. These days we use LW to do a lot more. We have the second largest 3D printer in the market - I model a lot of gear in LW and print it as props. From small props like Thors hammer - medium like the 1.5 m Aston DB5 in Skyfall - Large like the Merlin Chopper in skyfall (Body CNC). Lightwave Modeller is the fastest way I have found to produce these models along with Zbrush to compliment it.

OnlineRender
01-10-2013, 08:49 AM
medium like the 1.5 m Aston DB5 in Skyfall , I seen the documentary about that .... AWESOME!

50one
01-10-2013, 08:50 AM
Just some early concept work on troop carrier and escape pods. These days we use LW to do a lot more. We have the second largest 3D printer in the market - I model a lot of gear in LW and print it as props. From small props like Thors hammer - medium like the 1.5 m Aston DB5 in Skyfall - Large like the Merlin Chopper in skyfall (Body CNC). Lightwave Modeller is the fastest way I have found to produce these models along with Zbrush to compliment it.

Although i love the modeller to, i need to ask this question - how do you deal with large polycounts?

Jet3D
01-10-2013, 08:51 AM
50one - what does that mean? Sounds a little sour mate?
We use Lightwave to produce hero props for big films. Prometheus was filmed at Pinewood Studios. Lightwave has had big parts in our projects - not just end credits....

50one
01-10-2013, 08:53 AM
50one - what does that mean? Sounds a little sour mate?
We use Lightwave to produce hero props for big films. Prometheus was filmed at Pinewood Studios. Lightwave has had big parts in our projects - not just end credits....

Just a joke / sublime sense of humour:)

Jet3D
01-10-2013, 08:55 AM
LOL... struggle like everyone else ; )
We do get to use high end machines and if the model count becomes large I shift it to Zbrush when I can. Large poly counts are ok as we are not using the models for CG but, rather to print or CNC 5 axis.

50one
01-10-2013, 08:57 AM
LOL... struggle like everyone else ; )
We do get to use high end machines and if the model count becomes large I shift it to Zbrush when I can. Large poly counts are ok as we are not using the models for CG but, rather to print or CNC 5 axis.

Cheers, i do most of my work in modo these days, but still use modeler from time to time and must say that they both struggling with complex scenes/ objects.

kolby
01-10-2013, 09:06 AM

Thanks. Good to know.

jasonwestmas
01-10-2013, 09:44 AM
Hi Jason.
Fair point about 'Solid and innovative software'.
But, Departments here base their decisions on dependability and reliability as well. I swear by Lightwave - but, I lose the faith of colleges when Newtek miss a release date that THEY set. People that don't use Lightwave in the film industry are very swift to replace it with another package when film is gearing up. That was my only point mate. 8 )

I was half kidding but all goofyness aside I think I understand a little about where you are standing in the midst of all this. Project managers, producers, directors and the such are very much concerned with professional image and getting things done on time, possibly don't really understand what it takes to create highly detailed 3D animation for video fx. To keep this in perspective and to note that it is unrealistic to stay in business if you say a project X.0 release will be done in a year and instead it takes 2 years. But really I think NT is taking an additional 1-2 months to polish and stabilize. Also consider in an Apples to Apples comparison (which is I think unfair to NT, but nevertheless) NT is still playing catchup in the native FX-animation, Character CA, modeling workflow and dynamics realm especially. That's a huge undertaking!

There is another way to think of Lightwave but in a more specialized context for previz and specialized toolsets but that is not an appealing thing for many big-wigs. . . to tell them they have to buy and use and find people for two (Supposedly full blown) animation packages and make them work together. e.g. Maya <=> Lightwave pipeline etc., etc. Saying things like "well this package does A, B, and C faster and to a higher quality than this package but this Package does D, E and F better so lets use them together. I can only imagine how much the typical producer's head is spinning about. However, I find the need to explain that Lightwave is really not something to be compared to other Animation Packages, it's in it's own realm in the context of a smaller/ unique developer such as NT. You choose how you want to use Lightwave but I just don't see how it can stand on it's own and expect it to compete without giving NT the necessary room and time frame to develop it.

jeric_synergy
01-10-2013, 01:22 PM

You'd keep unicorns over rainbows? Dooood, examine your priorities: everybody gets to see rainbows, only virgins get to ride unicorns.

;)

jeric_synergy
01-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Just some early concept work on troop carrier and escape pods. These days we use LW to do a lot more. We have the second largest 3D printer in the market - I model a lot of gear in LW and print it as props. From small props like Thors hammer - medium like the 1.5 m Aston DB5 in Skyfall - Large like the Merlin Chopper in skyfall. Lightwave Modeller is the fastest way I have found to produce these models along with Zbrush to compliment it.
VERY exciting. Someone should send a journalist to cover the use of 3d printers in this manner.

Somewhere (CGW?) I read an extensive article on the use of 3d printing in "ParaNorman", it was fascinating.

++++++
re: Jasonwestmas: I think that's why one of the first things Rob did when he came on board was focus on interoperability between LW and Maya/3dM/XSI with the vertex cache work. WHile a small-timer like myself has next to no use for those tools, it certainly had to help the big shops keep LW in their pipelines.

"Keeping LW in the shops" was a good strategy: it's a lot easier to say "Pat over here did that in 30 minutes in LW, and we can easily get it over to Maya for {whatever}." Lots easier to already BE there than to try to get in in the first place.

Samus
01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
ANYTIME now i can Feel it... 11.5 SOOOOOONNNNN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jasonwestmas
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
V
re: Jasonwestmas: I think that's why one of the first things Rob did when he came on board was focus on interoperability between LW and Maya/3dM/XSI with the vertex cache work. WHile a small-timer like myself has next to no use for those tools, it certainly had to help the big shops keep LW in their pipelines.

"Keeping LW in the shops" was a good strategy: it's a lot easier to say "Pat over here did that in 30 minutes in LW, and we can easily get it over to Maya for {whatever}." Lots easier to already BE there than to try to get in in the first place.

I certainly agree with that and I would support Rob or anyone to go with that philosophy considering the size of Newtek and taking full advantage of Lightwave's special strengths. One strength being a straight forward approach for setting up shots and rendering in a lot of regards. The people who control the money however and build 3D artist teams don't always have a good understanding for creative pipelines, and taking full advantage of multi-app. development (which I am a big fan of, for slightly larger budgets or full time creative enthusiasts; people who just love the 3D animation art form).

dwburman
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM

I guess I'd say the LW11 addendum is pretty good compared to the LW9 & 10 manuals which are known for describing what a feature is without giving any context for it or usage examples. It'd be great to see everything described well (with something for the non-engineer/programmer types) along with examples.

The docs could certainly use a boost, and more training vids are needed as well. I've heard people talking about how little training is available for LW compared to C4D.

I like Jeric's idea about a managed wiki with searchable tags. Of course, I don't know how manageable managing a managed wiki is. :)

jwiede
01-10-2013, 06:48 PM

Well, apparently rainbows are a waste product of unicorns, so if there are unicorns, there will be rainbows.

jwiede
01-10-2013, 07:58 PM
The docs could certainly use a boost, and more training vids are needed as well. I've heard people talking about how little training is available for LW compared to C4D.
Or modo, for that matter. NT should take a page from Lux's book, and set up something like "Lightwave TV" with a library of videos for the feature areas, etc. as a precursor to binding them into some kind of online documentary compendium/wiki. And then, ya know, do the compendium/wiki/whatever as well.

jeric_synergy
01-10-2013, 09:46 PM
I like Jeric's idea about a managed wiki with searchable tags. Of course, I don't know how manageable managing a managed wiki is. :)
I'm available to find out. Who better?

Volunteer tagging (I'm lookin' at you, lwplugindb.com) seems a bust. A staffer who was assigned to do tagging could certainly do a better job. Not even the uploaders at lwplugindb.com seem to enter any tags.

mborge
01-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Or modo, for that matter. NT should take a page from Lux's book, and set up something like "Lightwave TV" with a library of videos for the feature areas, etc. as a precursor to binding them into some kind of online documentary compendium/wiki. And then, ya know, do the compendium/wiki/whatever as well.

IMHO - 3D-Coat is doing it right with Youtube and Vimeo channels + some great people doing videos. You can get into that app quick just by watching a few videos.
Reminds me of William Vaughn's vids. Helpful and to the point.

Kippa
01-11-2013, 10:31 PM
I am a bit of a newbie and am learning the basics of lightwave. I also subscribe to Lynda.com. In the 3dsMax section there are 18 different courses to learn from, where as in Lightwave there is only 1 course (LightWave 10 Essential Training). I know there are loads of books on lightwave but watching vidoes on Lynda.com is a fantastic way of learning. What I would love to see is more tutorial videos for Lightwave 11.5 in the likes of Lynda.com and other places.

Serling
01-11-2013, 10:56 PM

I'm just wondering if Autodesk has ever over promised and under delivered. I can't imagine they have a squeaky-clean track record, either. But maybe they do.

jasonwestmas
01-11-2013, 11:04 PM
I am a bit of a newbie and am learning the basics of lightwave. I also subscribe to Lynda.com. In the 3dsMax section there are 18 different courses to learn from, where as in Lightwave there is only 1 course (LightWave 10 Essential Training). I know there are loads of books on lightwave but watching vidoes on Lynda.com is a fantastic way of learning. What I would love to see is more tutorial videos for Lightwave 11.5 in the likes of Lynda.com and other places.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?125893-LightWave-Training-just-a-list&p=1220226#post1220226

GandB
01-11-2013, 11:05 PM
I wanna say that Dan Ablan had talked about having his vids up on Lynda.com in the future.

Kippa
01-11-2013, 11:30 PM
Thanks Jason for the link.

Greenlaw
01-12-2013, 01:04 AM
I wanna say that Dan Ablan had talked about having his vids up on Lynda.com in the future.
His Lightwave 10 Essentials course is up on Lynda. In fact, it's the only Lightwave course on Lynda.

G.

Thomas Helzle
01-12-2013, 06:41 AM
I'm just wondering if Autodesk has ever over promised and under delivered. I can't imagine they have a squeaky-clean track record, either. But maybe they do.
Well, as far as I'm concerned, they under-delivered with every version since they bought XSI ;-)
I personally would call it their biggest asset - getting people used to pay subscription for meh updates while always hoping something good comes up next year...
Addictive in a way, selling a glorious future that may or may not come ever.
Almost religious in a way.
A production proven way to hook people on nonsense for way over 2000 years :-)

Cheers,

Tom

Philbert
01-12-2013, 06:49 AM
Aren't people constantly complaining about autodesk under delivering? Especially with recent versions of 3ds max.

zapper1998
01-12-2013, 07:26 AM
Digital-tutors has zero vids on lightwave ..........

Philbert
01-12-2013, 07:36 AM
Digital-tutors has zero vids on lightwave ..........

I've asked them repeatedly to put LightWave tutorials up and told them that was the main reason I wasn't a subscriber, they didn't have anything I needed to learn. They just responded that nobody has asked for LightWave tutorials, so they don't make them.

Speaking of which, my tutorial on making a splashing iced tea scene with LightWave and Blender is now out in 3D World mag in the UK. It will hit American shelves in the beginning of next month.

mborge
01-12-2013, 08:52 AM
I've asked them repeatedly to put LightWave tutorials up and told them that was the main reason I wasn't a subscriber, they didn't have anything I needed to learn. They just responded that nobody has asked for LightWave tutorials, so they don't make them.

LOL! - Someone paid them to go "All Autodesk" - they stopped making Modo videos as well! I found them because I was looking for Modo training. They had some decent stuff and then suddenly stopped.
As for Lynda.com - the ONLY LW training there is by Dan Ablan as is the ONLY Modo training. Plenty of 3DSMax and Maya even Cinema 4D now.

I purchased the texture and lighting series from CG-Masters - I LMAO when the first training is all like, "Here's an asset (the mech) that's all modeled and UV'd in another program (Soft Image) " - I knew they wouldn't UV in LW.
Then later their like here's a bunch of color and spec maps etc. that are all painted by the magic texture fairy etc.
Obviously, they were choosing where to focus their time but, really solid training for beginners is hard to find and LW is losing ground in this area.

When I talked with my buddy at 343 - he simply said, "I don't know anyone who's using it."
He did admit that I could continue to use it if I just wanted to do concepts but, his response is very telling and all too common nowadays.

So I tell people I use Modo even if I've really been leaning on LW just to get a better response.
Everyone's like, "Oh yeah, Modo is cool."

I don't tell them that I like it because it's very Lightwave like/friendly.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2013, 09:03 AM
LOL! - Someone paid them to go all "Autodesk" -

That is incorrect. . .obviously. Of course there is money involved but DT clearly isn't all dedicated to Autodesk only.

mborge
01-12-2013, 09:11 AM
LOL! They did Stop doing Modo. I'm joking about someone paying them - unless Autodesk made them a "licensing deal" or something.

They haven't done Modo in several versions but, they are doing Foundry products.
One would hope that they'd pick it up again.

You can't say no one is asking for Modo.
Just do some searches and you'll see how disappointed the Modo users were that they "suddenly" stopped.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2013, 09:15 AM
LOL! They did Stop doing Modo. I'm joking about someone paying them - unless Autodesk made them a "licensing deal" or something.

They haven't done Modo in several versions but, they are doing Foundry products.
One would hope that they'd pick it up again.

You can't say no one is asking for Modo.
Just do some searches and you'll see how disappointed the Modo users were that they "suddenly" stopped.

Maybe, but your statement about "Autodesk only" allowed is simply incorrect. Take a look at the wide variety of up to date tutorials for non-autodesk solutions.

Philbert
01-12-2013, 09:25 AM
I did start using them to learn Nuke. but money got tight and I had to end my subscription. I hate that I don't have access to the videos I already watched now. One problem I noticed is that they have older videos mixed in with the newer ones. As I was learning Nuke the video would tell me to click a tool, but I would find that the tool has been removed or renamed so I couldn't find it.

mborge
01-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Maybe, but your statement about "Autodesk only" allowed is simply incorrect. Take a look at the wide variety of up to date tutorials for non-autodesk solutions.

You might have noticed the LOL! in front and the expression "All Autodesk" (I never said, "Autodesk Only") - expressing the idea of being a big Autodesk Promoter not literally Autodesk only.

It's called slang.

IE - He's "All Anal" about my post! :hey:

jasonwestmas
01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
I did start using them to learn Nuke. but money got tight and I had to end my subscription. I hate that I don't have access to the videos I already watched now.

I just pay for a months worth of video watching when things are slow. Then quit, then buy another month. (not saying that is for everyone but it works for me). There are advantages to getting access to several different subjects all at once.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2013, 09:31 AM
You might have noticed the LOL! in front and the expression "All Autodesk" (I never said, "Autodesk Only") - expressing the idea of being a big Autodesk Promoter not literally Autodesk only.

It's called slang.

IE - He's "All Anal" about my post! :hey:

you're still incorrect. ;)

mborge
01-12-2013, 09:37 AM
you're still incorrect. ;)

LMAO! OK, OK, you win! :thumbsup: - And they do have some really nice training. Their Mudbox has been great.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2013, 10:04 AM
LMAO! OK, OK, you win! :thumbsup: - And they do have some really nice training. Their Mudbox has been great.

The non-autodesk Zbrush stuff is pretty good too. :) I think people should ask for more lightwave support in general, even from companies that sell a lot of autodesk stuff. . . they still answer to large crowds of people unless DT says something like sorry but we swore an oath to Autodesk and therefore we are territorial and reject all non-AD products. Then that is something entirely different. :D

jeric_synergy
01-12-2013, 03:20 PM
OR we could support the company that IS making plenty of current LightWave training: Liberty3D.com.

::sheesh::

Philbert
01-12-2013, 03:39 PM
We could do both, though Digital Tutors is a much bigger name, and would also help LightWave to look bigger if it were on there.

jasonwestmas
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
OR we could support the company that IS making plenty of current LightWave training: Liberty3D.com.

::sheesh::

Depends on what you're looking for I guess. But I agree.

silviotoledo
01-13-2013, 03:47 AM
How many days for launch? :)

50one
01-13-2013, 06:25 AM

Should be ready next week, Rob posted a note on his facebook, saying that the RC phase is over, all they have to do now is burn some CDs wirh it and put them in a box and obviously start sending them out.

Burchigb
01-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Way cool thanks for the update

aidenvfx
01-13-2013, 08:53 AM

How often do software launches actually hit the target dates? While I don't disagree with "Over deliver" I think a few weeks either way is not a big deal. From the sounds of things 11.5 will be out by the end of January at the latest which is not much of a delay. If they hit mid-January then I would say it is a non-issue. I would agree if they went into Feb/March then that delay is bad.

erikals
01-13-2013, 09:02 AM
:agree:

Greenlaw
01-13-2013, 10:36 AM
I eat lunch almost everyday.

G.

jasonwestmas
01-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Should be ready next week, Rob posted a note on his facebook, saying that the RC phase is over, all they have to do now is burn some CDs wirh it and put them in a box and obviously start sending them out.

They still do that? Oh right, the internet thing. =P

silviotoledo
01-13-2013, 02:42 PM
I eat lunch almost everyday.

G.

And are you also waiting a light microwave 11.5 to cook it too? :).

Hail
01-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Hasn't this question been answered already?
Going on like this doesn't help, it only makes us all look like a bunch of impatient 5yr olds when we are supposed to be fathers and grannies :P

Verlon
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Hasn't this question been answered already?
Going on like this doesn't help, it only makes us all look like a bunch of impatient 5yr olds when we are supposed to be fathers and grannies :P

Well, if we were as prompt with payment, I am sure Newtek would be "impatient," also,

Matt
01-13-2013, 07:16 PM
How often do software launches actually hit the target dates? While I don't disagree with "Over deliver" I think a few weeks either way is not a big deal. From the sounds of things 11.5 will be out by the end of January at the latest which is not much of a delay. If they hit mid-January then I would say it is a non-issue. I would agree if they went into Feb/March then that delay is bad.

Just to elaborate, the Q4 date was a "we're aiming for", not a "it will definitely be released" date. Narrowing down to _exact_ dates can be difficult. You never know when a tester may find an absolutely critical bug in the last moments. Look at Apple for example, even with all their billions and resources couldn't get the last version of iTunes out when they said. And iTunes is a FAR less complex project than LightWave.

All I can say is we're very close, but the extra time spent will definitely be worth it.

Thanks for being patient!

Regards
Matt

Verlon
01-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Somehow, this double posted several minutes apart.

mborge
01-13-2013, 08:05 PM
Here's to hoping they've outdone themselves. I hope a little wait means a lot of love!

Jim M
01-14-2013, 02:15 AM
Take your time. I am waiting patiently [excited]

HenrikSkoglund
01-14-2013, 03:24 AM
I think I'm going nuts soon... looking here in the forums every 10 mins for an update on the new version. Yes, I know... this is more my problem than Newtek's ;)

AmigaNewTek
01-14-2013, 09:11 AM
I think I'm going nuts soon... looking here in the forums every 10 mins for an update on the new version. Yes, I know... this is more my problem than Newtek's ;)

Don't be hilarious, please, every 10 minutes, lol, 10 minutes,

doh,

i broke the F5 function Key

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

I won: every 5 minutes

Marcia
01-14-2013, 11:16 AM
Don't be hilarious, please, every 10 minutes, lol, 10 minutes

doh,

i broke the F5 function Key

:hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer::hammer:

I won: every 5 minutes

Karma now dictates you two will be sent to download hell, waiting in the server queue for near eternity while every other registered user gets his/her copy of 11.5 first. Why, oh why, do you do this to yourselves?

jeric_synergy
01-14-2013, 11:31 AM
"Desires are endless." --the Buddha.

Serling
01-14-2013, 12:21 PM
Just to elaborate, the Q4 date was a "we're aiming for"...

That's what I say when I miss the broad side of a barn, too. :D

jeric_synergy
01-14-2013, 12:23 PM
That's what I say when I miss the broad side of a barn, too. :D
I say " I was aiming for the ground."

Hail
01-14-2013, 01:09 PM
I say " I was aiming for the ground."

lol!

Nicolas Jordan
01-14-2013, 01:19 PM
Sounds like we're going to be getting some extra features included that weren't previously announced plus some extra polish so I'm ok with the delay.

jwiede
01-14-2013, 01:27 PM
All I can say is we're very close, but the extra time spent will definitely be worth it.

Matt, can you clarify whether that means bugs marked as fixed within the last 2-3 weeks will also be included in the release build? Or had that cut-off already passed some time prior? Thanks, just trying to gauge whether certain notifications about "next release" mean 11.5 or a subsequent release.

Honestly, I'm only really time-sensitive regarding 11.5 fixes to existing bugs, Newtek can take as long as they need w.r.t. new features. Some of the outstanding bug fixes were "desperately needed" a while ago, though, and haven't improved since then.

jasonwestmas
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM
"Desires are endless." --the Buddha.

As are the choices. :)

Verlon
01-15-2013, 12:39 AM
Just to elaborate, the Q4 date was a "we're aiming for", not a "it will definitely be released" date. Narrowing down to _exact_ dates can be difficult. You never know when a tester may find an absolutely critical bug in the last moments. Look at Apple for example, even with all their billions and resources couldn't get the last version of iTunes out when they said. And iTunes is a FAR less complex project than LightWave.

Regards
Matt

So the "code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules?" Wait, was Lightwave even used on Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl? I thought that was a competing package.

As far as iTunes comparison, I grant that you do have a point. On the other hand, Apple has actually hit a launch date recently, so it buys them some forgiveness if they miss once in a while. The thing that bugs people is how Newtek keeps promising to be better about this, but keeps missing deadlines. I only upgraded to LW11 because of the features supposedly coming in 11.5. The rest of 11 is just not that useful to me (cool, but not useful to me). At this point, it looks like I would have been better served by upgrading something else instead. It is this very feeling that makes former LW users so angry at NT. We want to love you. We really do. Sometimes you just make it so difficult, though.

ShadowMystic
01-15-2013, 01:12 AM
So the "code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules?" Wait, was Lightwave even used on Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl? I thought that was a competing package.

As far as iTunes comparison, I grant that you do have a point. On the other hand, Apple has actually hit a launch date recently, so it buys them some forgiveness if they miss once in a while. The thing that bugs people is how Newtek keeps promising to be better about this, but keeps missing deadlines. I only upgraded to LW11 because of the features supposedly coming in 11.5. The rest of 11 is just not that useful to me (cool, but not useful to me). At this point, it looks like I would have been better served by upgrading something else instead. It is this very feeling that makes former LW users so angry at NT. We want to love you. We really do. Sometimes you just make it so difficult, though.

I kind of have a similar sentiment. I've loved Lightwave 3D in my years of using it. I heard the announcement in August and had/have a big personal project I'd like to do as a learning experience for the new features. Yet 11.5 hasn't appeared. I've been on a 3D hiatus for a few months to broaden my horizons into programming. While I've learned a lot, I've been anxiously waiting for 11.5 to pick up back into 3D in the new year. So far nothing... So as we speak, I am downloading houdini, and Modo, and reinstalling my demo of C4D. LW11 may be my last license paid to Newtek...

AmigaNewTek
01-15-2013, 03:07 AM
Karma now dictates you two will be sent to download hell, waiting in the server queue for near eternity while every other registered user gets his/her copy of 11.5 first. Why, oh why, do you do this to yourselves?

Argh!

Lol

jasonwestmas
01-15-2013, 04:19 AM
I kind of have a similar sentiment. I've loved Lightwave 3D in my years of using it. I heard the announcement in August and had/have a big personal project I'd like to do as a learning experience for the new features. Yet 11.5 hasn't appeared. I've been on a 3D hiatus for a few months to broaden my horizons into programming. While I've learned a lot, I've been anxiously waiting for 11.5 to pick up back into 3D in the new year. So far nothing... So as we speak, I am downloading houdini, and Modo, and reinstalling my demo of C4D. LW11 may be my last license paid to Newtek...

save the best for last?

erikals
01-15-2013, 07:13 AM
indeed ;]

Hail
01-15-2013, 07:58 AM
save the best for last?

What if you don't live to see the last?
Jx saying... its a borrowed life you know :D

50one
01-15-2013, 08:04 AM
I like wearing women's clothes

sandman300
01-15-2013, 09:07 AM
:gotpics:

Hail
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I like wearing women's clothes

are we errhhm.. safe?

50one
01-15-2013, 10:57 AM
...didn't want to post anything like "any news chief?":D

KevinL
01-15-2013, 12:10 PM
I like ironing them:)

rustythe1
01-15-2013, 12:18 PM
And hang around in bars!!!!!

Photogram
01-15-2013, 12:22 PM

I will rarely post any comment about the questions of delay between upgrades and new features addition but this time i feel concerned.

I know how you feel... waiting for many more months for long awaited features we need urgently to raise our productions, expertise and quality upward. To stay at the same level as other competitors businesses we have to constantly present new animations in our portfolio with at least the same technology...

I wish to share my personal experience here.

Last year one of our very good client choose another company after many years of business with us. My competitor has pitched in secret and my client decide they will try to work with these guys because they present some animations involving soft bodies deformations. The client was so impressed, because they want to see their product mascott animated like a soft puppet falling and bouncing on a pile of hundred other puppets colliding and deforming like in reality. The real thing here is that pith give an idea of a new product that client want now to put in the stores. They want to sell puppets for the kids market. And we know this is a big market.

By chance the client get back to us not because he was not satisfied with the competitor animations but because they just want to stop dealing with them and because they are confident with us. So the first thing they asked to us is can you continue the project?

At that time i had to be very cautious about that answer because we know a bit of the traditional softbodies system but is not so easy and fast as the bullet system can. So after many tests my answer was more no than yes. While discussing with the client about the possible avenues we tell the that Lightwave will get that technology soon and we will be able to continue it if he can wait about six month maximum. Fortunately the client decide to ask us if we can simply begin by converting the Cinema 4D projects to Lightwave and re-render everything and do the post-production so they will be OK for september and by the end of the year we will do new stuff with the same needs (Bullet softbodies animations).

Now we need 11.5 asap since we have many testings and developpement to do while waiting for the next contract and we wait 11.5 to upgrade our old version now...

This situation is very stressing as we are not sure to have enough practice with the new softbody system when the next contract will come, and we hoping that this will not be tomorrow!

As a very small company we cannot afford loosing such client. And we actually depend on lightwave because that the software we use for years and we don't have the intention to produce with C4D even is a very easy to learn software and fun to work with. C4D did not convince us. We think is not a complete solution compare to Lightwave! And we feel that is not robust too. (always crash and strange bugs i never get with Lightwave) So Lightwave is our choice period. (Autodesk doesn't exist! it's just a bad nightmare in my imagination) yes i'm struck with LW and want to! ;)

Well now waiting very patiently and learning and practicing other important things..........................

Here was my two cents.

jeric_synergy
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
I've been on a 3D hiatus for a few months to broaden my horizons into programming.
If you really want to make LW 'friends', please consider applying your programming skills into expanding the Python scripts for LW. That's a very fallow field currently. And a lot of our wish list could, or SHOULD, be able to be met by scripts. (And if they can't, the feedback on the Python implementation will be valuable to NewTek.)

Photogram
01-15-2013, 12:48 PM
If you really want to make LW 'friends', please consider applying your programming skills into expanding the Python scripts for LW. That's a very fallow field currently. And a lot of our wish list could, or SHOULD, be able to be met by scripts. (And if they can't, the feedback on the Python implementation will be valuable to NewTek.)

I think this is the lightwave future!
Phyton script are very powerfull!!!

jeric_synergy
01-15-2013, 01:53 PM
I think this is the lightwave future!
Phyton script are very powerfull!!!
I think it's more accurate to say "COULD BE very powerful". Until all/most/more aspects of the program are exposed to Python, and useful Python header files (?? is that what they're called?) are constructed and distributed, Python will not achieve its full potential. It can still be very useful of course, especially in simply automating tedious and repetitive operations-- to me, that kind of thing is more important than super-advanced stuff.

For instance, a proper "Clone Hierarchy" that actually works for EVERYTHING in the hierarchy should be possible.

Personally, I found Python to be enormously verbose, and my first run at it was a bust. :cry:

ShadowMystic
01-15-2013, 03:09 PM

I've considered python for Lightwave, but I haven't found the documentation listing the commands ect. I started with Java and the documentation is extensive, but documentation seems to be one of Newtek's weaker points.

jeric_synergy
01-15-2013, 04:03 PM
I started with Java and the documentation is extensive, but documentation seems to be one of Newtek's weaker points.

::cough:: No, I'm ok.... ;)

khan973
01-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Photogram, I feel your stress, but as a professional, you shouldn't rely only on a technology that will be available someday even thought it's supposed to be soon. If I was you, I'd explore some other solutions. Because when you get your hands on the tool, maybe you won't be able to do what you want or maybe it will not work...
Have you tried some blender tools?

atnreg
01-15-2013, 08:54 PM
documentation seems to be one of Newtek's weaker points.

INDEED! I REALLY hope they FINALLY include full manual with 11.5 that can be used without strange addendums and (still incomplete) manual of LW10 (there is no real manual for LW11)...keeping one manual up-to-date and still keep track on updates can't be that hard (there are programs for that) but those addendums and incomplete manuals are real pain for users.

Of course addendum-like document is needed for "what's new" but it must not be the only manual for new version. And using proper software the changes can be easily extracted to separate document.

I have been using LW for about 8 years but yes, manual is still needed every now and then and when I need it, I don't want to read 1-2 addendums and try to guess what still applies from the original manual and what has changed totally and what has been added.

BUT PLEASE DON'T POSTPONE 11.5 RELEASE BECAUSE OF INCOMPLETE MANUAL :)

jwiede
01-16-2013, 03:47 AM
INDEED! I REALLY hope they FINALLY include full manual with 11.5 that can be used without strange addendums and (still incomplete) manual of LW10 (there is no real manual for LW11)...keeping one manual up-to-date and still keep track on updates can't be that hard (there are programs for that) but those addendums and incomplete manuals are real pain for users.
I'm pretty sure I recall a post from Rob or Chuck to the effect that docs improvements of that magnitude weren't "in scope" for 11.5, and aren't expected before LW12 -- unfortunately, I'm unable to find it again due to the condition of the forum's search function, but perhaps others here also remember it and/or remember where it was posted.

Marcia
01-16-2013, 05:44 AM
I'm pretty sure I recall a post from Rob or Chuck to the effect that docs improvements of that magnitude weren't "in scope" for 11.5, and aren't expected before LW12 -- unfortunately, I'm unable to find it again due to the condition of the forum's search function, but perhaps others here also remember it and/or remember where it was posted.

That does sound familiar.

AmigaNewTek
01-16-2013, 07:00 AM
That does sound familiar.

What about for a sneak preview of the new features?

Maybe this could help us to wait for the new release, instead of drooling on the desk? :caffeine:

erikals
01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
...instead of drooling on the autodesk? :caffeine:

hidden message?... :tsktsk:

Photogram
01-16-2013, 08:29 AM
Photogram, I feel your stress, but as a professional, you shouldn't rely only on a technology that will be available someday even thought it's supposed to be soon. If I was you, I'd explore some other solutions. Because when you get your hands on the tool, maybe you won't be able to do what you want or maybe it will not work...
Have you tried some blender tools?

Khan, That was a special contract because we talk here of converting the project began by another company on C4D and they want to work with our company now. I don't have enough free time to explore other solutions since i have a regular job and freelancer at the same time... I already look at blender and i found it confusing...

Anyway for that contract i had to lear veery fast C4D for doing only what i need. My mandate was to convert everything to Lightwave. So i baked everything and rebuilt surfaces and lightnings and get the same and more beautifull result without using GI for a lot faster rendering than C4D projects done with GI.

MAUROCOR
01-16-2013, 08:54 AM
Try to have some answer that can help you from Newtek in private. Send them e-mails/private messages. May you are a lucky guy and have some success on this. Why not? They are good people and in this particular case may they help you. Try it!

Khan, That was a special contract because we talk here of converting the project began by another company on C4D and they want to work with our company now. I don't have enough free time to explore other solutions since i have a regular job and freelancer at the same time... I already look at blender and i found it confusing...

Anyway for that contract i had to lear veery fast C4D for doing only what i need. My mandate was to convert everything to Lightwave. So i baked everything and rebuilt surfaces and lightnings and get the same and more beautifull result without using GI for a lot faster rendering than C4D projects done with GI.

Marcia
01-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Try to have some answer that can help you from Newtek in private. Send them e-mails/private messages. May you are a lucky guy and have some success on this. Why not? They are good people and in this particular case may they help you. Try it!

That's a good point and good idea. Maybe they'll let you have a copy pre-release due to your circumstances, especially with the actual release being imminent.

AmigaNewTek
01-16-2013, 01:16 PM
hidden message?... :tsktsk:

:ohmy:

Lol

No way. Look at my Username, NewTek and Amiga, since the first demo reel i saw...

And, moreover.... Remember when computing was fun?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXqmTZMtAj8

Marcia
01-16-2013, 01:48 PM
OMG! The Max Headroom effect! The hair! The music! The transitions! [The render times!] ROFL! Yep, definitely 1980s. Still, some of the models were more sophisticated than I expected. What did the first release of LightWave cost?

jeric_synergy
01-16-2013, 04:35 PM
You could only get LW with the Video Toaster for the longest time.

I have a Videoscape disk with manual for sale.... ;)

(Seriously. I actually do. It's right here on my desk.)

dickbill
01-16-2013, 06:00 PM
I think many people started with turbo silver and Imagine(Impulse). Whathever happened to the guys at Impulse, they made my days anyways.

Marcia
01-16-2013, 06:57 PM
You could only get LW with the Video Toaster for the longest time.

I have a Videoscape disk with manual for sale.... ;)

(Seriously. I actually do. It's right here on my desk.)

Lol. What about the Amiga to run it on?

Marcia
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
I think many people started with turbo silver and Imagine(Impulse). Whathever happened to the guys at Impulse, they made my days anyways.

Had to look up Turbo Silver and Imagine 3d... the Amiga days totally passed me by. I started with Strata Studio Pro sometime around 1992 or 3.

According to Wikipedia: "Impulse, Inc. is a software company responsible for making several 3D modeling and rendering applications. Most notably TurboSilver and Imagine for the Amiga computer. They were originally located in Minneapolis, Minnesota and later moved to Las Vegas, Nevada. After moving to Las Vegas they became more and more involved in creating software for casino video slot machines."

DigitalSorcery8
01-16-2013, 07:28 PM

I have several Amiga 4000's. :)

Marcia
01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
I have several Amiga 4000's. :)

ROFL! The inside of your garage must look like ours. I'll bet I could come up with some treasures to trade. Maybe we could organize a virtual swap meet while waiting for 11.5. :beerchug:

Kaptive
01-16-2013, 07:49 PM

Lol

No way. Look at my Username, NewTek and Amiga, since the first demo reel i saw...

That Newtek video was awesome... takes me right back to my Amiga days. It is so easy to forget how far we've come. I don't think I ever tried Lightwave on the Amiga, but I did have a copy of Sculpt 4d (was that its' name?)

The Amiga was what started me in digital art and animation. Deluxe Paint 3 let me animate, and it changed my life. Then I got my first job, migrated to PC and used photoshop to create 2D animations... and finally that same company invested in Lightwave. It was a big learning curve at the time, but it changed my life. I've never looked back since.

Keeping it on topic, seeing that video just reminds me how little time has really passed since we had severe limitations. Now we can create whole rich, convincing, detailed, living and breathing worlds. When you think about it, it is incredible. 20 mad years of leaping forward... my mind boggles where we'll be in another 20 years!

jeric_synergy
01-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Both gone earlier this year!

Turbo Silver had the documentation for which the word 'execrable' was coined. Awful. Terrible. Incompetent. NewTek NEVER had anything that approached the nadir of criminal stupidity that the TS documentation exemplified.

Dillon
01-16-2013, 09:01 PM
WOW. What a throwback to history! I bought my 1st amiga when I was 18, waaaay back in 1990. I'd forgotten about this NewTek demo. But whoosh, on seeing it, I was transported back to that pimply hormonal teenage boy I was when I bought my first Amiga 3000. Holy cow.

Thanks for posting it.

Lol

sandman300
01-16-2013, 10:20 PM

I started on Imagine back in 1994 at Penn State. We had, I believe 8 Amiga 4000s. A video of the classes was Uploaded to Vimeo 3D Animations By Penn State Students In The Early 90's (http://vimeo.com/19827411) A small piece of my work is shown at 22:21 and I'm in the video at 27:28 (Jean Jacket).
I wouldn't be here using Lightwave if it wasn't for that class.

Hail
01-17-2013, 01:35 AM
:P wrong quote!

Mr. Wilde
01-17-2013, 06:20 AM
I have been living under a rock for the last months. Is LW 11.5 going to be a free update for all LW 11 users, or just for those who buy LW 11 now?

50one
01-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Free for all 11x users brother.

Hail
01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Free for all 11x users brother.

yeah.. it ll be free for all once released.. but at the moment, it is only for a selected few:D

AmigaNewTek
01-17-2013, 10:18 AM

Well, Lightwave runs fine actually on AmigaOne 500 and AmigaOne x1000.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRoeHaAS-MI

OnlineRender
01-17-2013, 10:39 AM
now thats a cool setup

xevious2501
01-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Yeah im in the same "the water is beggining to boil over' feeling. Patience is a good thing but it also seems like something is up with this new release.
Either theyve run into some serious issues or truly are adding some worthy features not previously mentioned earlier.

We can $&*# all day but until its released there nothing we can do. My thing is why all the secrecy?. Its like those concept cars for models thats already in production. all the distortion patterns to hide design features that need not be hidden.
As far as a wish list for whats to come. i think we should all be posting those kinda Wish list's so that the company could possibly have a further sence of what the users would deem as pryority must have features and or improvements.

For me.
Ide like to see.....
1. Better hypervoxels.
For instance, its virtually to get a bunch of hypervoxels and or metanurbs to form a flat surface. This is a very important observation for those that create fluid dynamics.
More control over the shaping of hypervoxels. (creating clouds fluffy top flat bottom)
2. more universal Procedural textures, (both 2d and 3d).
Better solutions for creating clouds smoke etc.
3.Fluid dynmaics. yep, hate say it but LW is just about the only app that doesnt has its own nativlely.
(does it rrrreeeallly need it with the likes of RealFlow and Naid out there?. YES! because if the growth of an app should never be based upon the options one could make from 3rd party vendors) (auto industry had to learn that one the hard way)

Theres more but for now those are the key items

Thomas Helzle
01-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Hm - I actually think that 11.5 is a rather feature packed update for an in-between release. I remember at one point there were talks that no longer we would see feature updates between major releases, so I personally am very happy to once more see such substantial enhancements coming our way!
If it's a bit late or not doesn't bother me - we've been through much worse in that regard ;-)

And I don't need additional features to explain the delay - so much can go wrong with software development that this is rather normal IMO. I really prefer a solid release with the features working as advertised as far as possible over too many half baked new things.

My major point of curiosity would be, it there is a fully revamped modeller cooking in the background or not ;-)

Cheers,

Tom

Edit: something to calm everybody down maybe?

BokadCastle
01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
Once released, no-one will remember the extra few weeks past Q4 that the dev team takes, but they'll certainly notice any bugs if that time was not taken.