PDA

View Full Version : More Detail on Lightwave Upgrade please.

tapsnap
11-03-2003, 02:06 PM
Is it possible for Newtek to release a more detailed list of what we might find in Lightwave 8? Thanks for the preview page that you put up. The character animation stuff looks interesting, at least. Newtek is charging $100 more this time around for the upgrade. I suspect that this increase helps pay for the PC only DFX package. Indeed, half of the Lightwave 8 preview page raves on about this 3rd party package. As a Mac user, to whom DFX is totally useless, I would like to know if this upgrade has anything relevant to me. So, please give me a little more to go on than what appears on your preview page or I, like many other Mac users may skip this one.
P.S I don't blow things up, never have, don't think I ever will; I don't have much use for Hard body dynamics.

mattclary
11-03-2003, 07:17 PM
You're right. You might as well skip this one. Don't bother.

cresshead
11-03-2003, 07:59 PM
no don't skip it!....
lw 8 look's very cool so far what i've seen via the siggraph show..
it's not all character stools and dynamics...there's a lot of other things too..for everyone who uses lightwave...

maybe you might want to wait for the DF+ deal to end and save a little cash as i think it may go down a little without the DF+ tiein deal..though to be fair even if i was a mac user i'd get this deal and a cheap $400 pc so i could run DF+ for comping & fx....
DF+ is around $1200 if i remember right so $100 is an amazing deal!

and i have combustion 1&2 so i'm not like without a compositor but i've gained a warper and some other fx via digital fusion+ so i'm pretty happy.

steve g

colkai
11-04-2003, 03:34 AM
Nahhh,
I'm with Matt on this, skip, don't bother, won't be much use anyways ;) ;) ;)

Heck - I don't use a quarter of what LW can do - but I've pre-ordered and can't wait! :D

mattclary
11-04-2003, 05:57 AM
$495 is the normal price for an upgrade with LightWave. That was what it cost to upgrade from 6.x to 7.x. Every now and then Newtek does one for $395, but that's a special deal and is limited in time. Here's an idea; Get the upgrade and SELL dfx.

tapsnap
11-04-2003, 06:40 AM
I heard somewhere that selling the DFX software would not be possible as it requires the use of your Lightwave Dongle to work. Is this true? I'm not sure.
500 bucks is a lot of money to me. Go to the Lightwave preview page, as I did, and read down the list of features included in this update. For me, it just doesn't seem worth it. Maybe you'll see something there that justifies the $500: I didn't. I'm asking for is a little more detail, coz Newtek ain't impressed me yet with 8.0.

jcool
11-04-2003, 07:35 AM
If you're a Mac user, go ahead and get your money in now. LW8 will have one feature you can't pass up... compatiblity with Panther.

By the way, Lightwave needs a dopesheet!

tapsnap
11-04-2003, 07:50 AM
.... and 7.5 won't be?

artologist
11-04-2003, 10:02 AM
i'm running 7.5 in panther and so far have had no problems. I hoping LW8 takes advantage of the G5 processor.

*Update*
Upon closer examination and more use, i too am experiencing problems with 7.5 in Panther.

tapsnap
11-04-2003, 03:26 PM
I don't currently use at least 25% of what Lightwave 7.5 offers me either. The point is, as a Mac user, I can't see more that 25% of this update as being useful to me, based on the information, so far, provided. Is that 25% worth $500 to me? The answer is, probably not; I don't know; if Newtek gave me a little more info, I'd have a better idea. Pre-pay without knowing what you're getting, are you kidding?

geoff3dnz
11-04-2003, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by mattclary
Here's an idea; Get the upgrade and SELL dfx. You'd have a hard time doing that - it's tied to your lightwave dongle, so you'd have to sell it to another LW user who wants dfx+... Or buy a separate dongle from eyeon for $95, then sell it. ;)

TyVole
11-04-2003, 04:17 PM
You don't have to prepay -- you can wait until it's released and then upgrade -- after you've seen the demo.

All you'll miss out on is the DFX+, which you can't use anyway.

Matt
11-04-2003, 05:03 PM
I'm waiting to see what it actually has in it too, DFX looks very nice but I can't think of one project I'd use it on! Character tools are of little use to me, dynamics - better I'm sure I could find a use for them, but for me it's mainly render quality and speed that I need changes to.

Animation (non-character) tools are also something I need updating.

Still, it looks like it's heading in the right direction.

Oh, if the OGL working speed has been improved by a heck of a lot that would be useful too, at the moment LW crawls when positioning objects inside complex scenes - even in wireframe mode.

jcool
11-04-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by artologist
i'm running 7.5 in panther and so far have had no problems. I hoping LW8 takes advantage of the G5 processor.

Do you use the graph editor? The folks in the Mac forum seem to be having a different experience than you.

Karmacop
11-04-2003, 11:52 PM
I thought the graph editor was programmed by a Mac guy? :confused:

jcool
11-05-2003, 01:52 PM
Newtek has acknolwedged the graph editor bug in 10.3

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12841&perpage=15&pagenumber=8

By the way, their Mac guy just posted that there is a patch for 7.5 in the works, so it looks like you will be able to have a working 7.5 in 10.3 soon. Good decision for Newtek and it's customers.

Howzat
11-06-2003, 05:52 AM
Also don't forget that NewTek has stated that they are planning to add many more features in point releases in the near future...