PDA

View Full Version : Using Ripples Under Node in Lightwave 11

larue
12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
This is my first post, so here goes. Basically, I want to animate a stone skipping across the surface of a lake. I've made a short film that requires some special effects. One of the effects that I'm having some difficulity creating is that of ripples in water. I want to simulate a skipping stone going across the surface of a lake. I have video (1920x1080 p) footage of the lake that I have front projected onto a planar object. I then went into the Edit Nodes and played around trying to get ripples onto my image/video. I basically need about 3 to 4 ripples where the stone skips across the water. I wasn't able to get anything to appear. Any assistance would certainly be appreciated.

DrStrik9
12-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Without seeing your scene, here's one thought: you might try a highly-subdivided plane for water, and use object:displacement for the ripples (displacement on Y axis). Then it's just finding the right X, Z coordinates for placing the ripples, and a believable falloff for how they degrade across the water.

3DGFXStudios
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
I would do that in compositing. Of course you can do it in Lw but that wouldn't be a fast what, but it all depends on the look you want.

RebelHill
12-28-2012, 01:16 PM
If ur doing a plain front projection, without and additional reflection ro shadowing in LW itself... then of course you'll see no difference, as there's no "lighting detail" for the renderer to pick out, that ofc is also assuming uve applied the ripple texture correctly to begin with. First off u'll wanna try just with the ripple on plain mesh to make sure that you've got it placed and acting correctly, then put your front proj back on, and then relight and shade as appropriate.

lertola2
12-28-2012, 02:21 PM
I am not sure if your question is about how to use the ripples node or how to make the output of the ripples node affect your front projected image. You can use a few copies of the ripples node with nulls as reference objects to control where the ripples happen and then add them together. Then you can animate the falloff and opacity of each to get the bouncing rock effect. Its hard to know the best way to apply the ripples to your texture without knowing exactly how you are setting that up.

prometheus
12-29-2012, 08:29 AM
cant you set up a particle emitter, shooting out a single particle that bounces over water surface, apply dpont´s particle paint plugin that will give you some generation where the particle hits the water,you could further more add water ripples with nodes on to the places where the particle paint node is generated.

particle fx clone or add a null, to parent your object to the null for the stone.

Michael