PDA

View Full Version : hi - me again :)

random_human_02
11-03-2003, 01:49 PM
I have a question, I ask here now because I am at work and cannot call LW tech support right now.

I just received my copy of lightwave 7.0b and installed it at home (then quickly took off for work, cuz I was late...hehe) While I was there, I fired up modeler and the 14 day trial message popped up, when I click on ok, modeler quickly exits. Layout works fine. I called the registration people and asked them real quick if it was an issure with it not being registered at this time (I registered via email) and he said probably not.

Anyway, Since I am at work, I can't call tech support (plus LW is installed at home) and when I get out of work, they will be probably closed.

Has anyone delt with this type of an issue? I am running it on a windows XP pro machine. I have no clue where to begin to trouble shoot this, outside of putting in the Reg number and seeing what happens.

(I did install 7 while 5.6 was installed... then, after this issue arose, I un-installed 5.6 - but still have the same problem.

Thanks

cdeutekom
11-03-2003, 03:05 PM
Are you running Lightwave under Win XP. I found that I needed to update my drivers for the dongle in order for Lightwave to work. The ones that shipped with the program didnt work with my operating system.

http://www.rainbow.com/support/downloads.asp

Otherwise, make sure your graphic card drivers are up to date. I have had a problem with mysterious exits from programs because my drivers were out of date.

just a few things to check on and try.

-Craig

random_human_02
11-03-2003, 03:33 PM
ok thanks. But no luck. I downloaded just the driver (am home now) and rebooted. Now... Layout closes right away when I click "ok" on the 14 day trial box. So... my guess is it is a driver problem. Do you think I should download the driver with the Sentinel SuperPro Server Software? I do know when I fire up either of them while my zone alarm fire wall is running, it asks me If I want it to connect.

... bleh.. I'm just gonna try it.. got nothing to lose at this point, neither of them stay open now. :/

*edit
Yup, my graphics drivers are the newest, just grabbed them the other day (I have gforce 3 card)

random_human_02
11-03-2003, 03:41 PM
updated the drivers and server... now layout will stay open... but it does hang for about 3-4 sec after I click on "ok" (to exit the 14 day trial window). Modeler still exits. Any other approach I should take?

Win XP, USB dongle, latest dongle drivers, latest video drivers. The OS is about 2 weeks old, (I did a reformat) ...

I'm at a loss here I suppose, until I get my reg numbers and find some time to call Tech support when they are open.

bloontz
11-03-2003, 03:47 PM
There is a free update to 7.5 that you can download from Newtek. It adds a number of features and it may help fix your problem, no guarantee though. I'm using 7.5c on XP pro and it seems to work fine.

random_human_02
11-03-2003, 03:57 PM
Cool... thanks. I have updated to 7.5 now, and I still have the same issue. Modeler just exits. It doesnt matter if I choose the modeler shortcut or launch it from layout... poof.

Maybe once I get my reg number it will stop, but somehow I dont think it will.

::off to email tech support.

BeeVee
11-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Where are you based? Do you need European tech support or US? You can always email [email protected] or [email protected] (for English-speaking tech support, just [email protected] for French).

B

random_human_02
11-04-2003, 04:28 AM
I'm on the east coast, USA. I have emailed the US tech support last night (6.30am now) - and hope to hear from them at some point today.

gjjackson
11-04-2003, 05:41 AM
It was my experience not to even bother with e-mails. The original registration number was wrong. I had better luck just calling them up.

SLAYER
11-04-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by random_human_02
ok thanks. But no luck. I downloaded just the driver (am home now) and rebooted. Now... Layout closes right away when I click "ok" on the 14 day trial box. So... my guess is it is a driver problem. Do you think I should download the driver with the Sentinel SuperPro Server Software? I do know when I fire up either of them while my zone alarm fire wall is running, it asks me If I want it to connect.

... bleh.. I'm just gonna try it.. got nothing to lose at this point, neither of them stay open now. :/

*edit
Yup, my graphics drivers are the newest, just grabbed them the other day (I have gforce 3 card)

With Zone Alarm you need to allow modeler and Layout to access the internet. Select yes for everything that ZA asks for these programs and you are good to go! It is something to do with ZA TCP or something. Had the same problem as well as other people here.

BeeVee
11-04-2003, 08:25 AM
LightWave uses TCP/IP for communication between the Hub and the Layout and Modeler modules. It doesn't use the internet at all, nor does it report anything to NewTek. Just say yes to Zone Alarm's questions and forget about it - I have at home... :)

B

random_human_02
11-04-2003, 09:09 AM
I have trid that, I have also shut down zone alarm completely, but no change.

My lunch hour is fast approaching and I'm gonna race home and make a phone call

random_human_02
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
update for those interested.

I was told it is probably a bad dongle from tech support.

I have to try one more thing tonight after work that involves the dongle drivers, and if it don't work, off to the post office I go, but chances are, it's the dongle.

:( .... so many buttons and things to click in modeler, but I can't play with them for a few more days. lol -at least I am getting familiar with layout in the meantime