PDA

View Full Version : EXTREMELY dumb question...

Chris Partridge
11-03-2003, 01:47 PM
....but it's stopping me in my tracks. I'm following the Chapter 8 tutorial in Dan's Lightwave 7 book building an architectural environment...but I'm flummoxed at the step where it says "select the two discs that u created previously". I've created the discs no problem, but for the life of me don't know how to select them. Dragging the mouse pointer over the disc/discs doesn't seem to work. Any advice appreciated.

hrgiger
11-03-2003, 02:14 PM
Make sure you're in polygon selection mode (in the bottom left hand corner of modeler) and click to select.

Chris Partridge
11-03-2003, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the reply...willdo.

Rei
11-03-2003, 03:03 PM
Make sure that you arnt trying to select them looking through the rear side of a polygon, because you will select that and not the one you want.

You cant select again if something is allready selected, make sure that you have cleared the selection first, (click on the GUI of press the clear selection key, / by default)

If you are using the camera mode, you can select a poly that is too close to the camera, something to do with clipping i think, might just be me on this one tho.

General hints for ya, happy modeling!

Chris Partridge
11-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks Rei...yes...I'm having a few problems selecting both discs at the same time -- i can select one disc fine using the polygons select tool, but getting the second disc selected is a bit of a problem!

Rei
11-03-2003, 03:50 PM
Click on the first poly

hold down shift

Click on second poly

RTFM!

Chris Partridge
11-04-2003, 12:33 PM
Thanks again - I'm now charging through the tutorial...I'm already discovering that modelling ois not my forte...animation and rendering is a lot more enjoyable!

hrgiger
11-04-2003, 12:48 PM
If you want to select more then one object, the best way is to hold down your mouse button while selecting. Once you let go of that mouse button, you have to use the shift key to add to your selection as Rei says.

RTFM.

Hurben
11-05-2003, 01:16 AM
you can also use the mouse wheel as a button to select more than one object .. works like holding down the shift key.

Don't think this works on macs though, they only have one mouse button don't they .. hehe

hrgiger
11-05-2003, 05:29 AM
Macs only come with a one mouse button, they support multi-button mouses though (is that right? mouses? mice?). Of course, I'd be peeved if I was a mac user and I had to pay that much for a computer, only to have to go out and buy a functional mouse seperately...

Chris Partridge
11-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Thanks guys again: and you're all quite right, I do need to read the manual properly. It's just looks very intimidating: desperate to get going quickly. A "lightwave 3D Lite" users manual would be great for this program.

hrgiger
11-05-2003, 08:35 PM
You don't have to read the whole thing Chris. In this instance you could have just looked up your answer through the index. It should be your first place to look for answers. And probably faster then asking here on the forums.